PDA

View Full Version : Intake Cover Removal

steve b.
05-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Need advice. Started to remove intake cover. It looks like it just lifts off. There aren't any bolts. Is that all there is to it? Steve B

GRRRR8
05-30-2009, 02:05 PM
The silver cover is the 1st one you remove. The black one below it is the one you need to remove and leave the big silver one off.

Devilish34
05-30-2009, 04:02 PM
I'll grab my camera and post a picture of the black cover you need to remove.

Devilish34
05-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Silver turtle shell, part to be removed, what it looks like done, intake cover next to intake

steve b.
05-30-2009, 06:06 PM
thanks very much

grandmacpubah
05-31-2009, 05:02 PM
get charlie's bolts before you break one of the oem ones like I did. I did not overtighten it either...unless my wrench was totally out of spec.

WickedMom
05-31-2009, 05:11 PM
I dont get this one.. you take off the silver cover and the black... do you put the silver one back? or toss both? Is purpose behind this to remove heat trapping stuff?

GRRRR8
05-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Its to relieve heat soak. The big silver cover is a given, get rid of it and it takes about 30 seconds or less to do. If you want to maximize the effort, especially if you live in a HOT climate, get rid of the black one as well.

WickedMom
05-31-2009, 05:39 PM
With removing the black piece, can you reinstall the silver cover? Sometimes looks matter!

If its an easy pop on pop off.... I live in So cali, it get relatively hot here. Is that black over part of the intake? I have seen in other thread where there is mention of replacing the bolts with stainless steel bolts for strength, is this what they are referring to?

GRRRR8
05-31-2009, 05:46 PM
With removing the black piece, can you reinstall the silver cover? Sometimes looks matter!

If its an easy pop on pop off.... I live in So cali, it get relatively hot here. Is that black over part of the intake? I have seen in other thread where there is mention of replacing the bolts with stainless steel bolts for strength, is this what they are referring to?

The silver cover can be reinstalled for shows. You can also purchase the Holden ones that cover the coils and not the intake. The bolts are for strength and looks.