PDA

View Full Version : Quiet, but high-flowing, exhaust?

00 Trans Ram
09-09-2008, 06:43 AM
When I first got the car, I was all gung ho to modify it like I did with my Trans Am. However, I kind of like the fact that it's quiet, sedated, comfortable, and stock-ish. But, I still want to modify it.

What I'm looking for is an exhaust system that will retain the stock sound levels (at least during normal driving). I'm thinking that some shorty or mid-length headers, a few resonators, ending with some good mufflers should work. As far as mufflers, I'm thinking that something designed for a German touring car (BMW, MB, Audi) would work better.

Does anyone sell something like this?

I searched a bit, but really didn't find much.

Andy@Livernois
09-09-2008, 06:51 AM
magnaflow has a nice, quiet exhaust for them. Still good tone, but not overly aggressive

norm8332
09-09-2008, 06:57 AM
When I first got the car, I was all gung ho to modify it like I did with my Trans Am. However, I kind of like the fact that it's quiet, sedated, comfortable, and stock-ish. But, I still want to modify it.

What I'm looking for is an exhaust system that will retain the stock sound levels (at least during normal driving). I'm thinking that some shorty or mid-length headers, a few resonators, ending with some good mufflers should work. As far as mufflers, I'm thinking that something designed for a German touring car (BMW, MB, Audi) would work better.

I asked this exact question last month and the reply I got was ARH long tube headers kit with the stock mufflers. I guess the stock mufflers are not restrictive.

GRRRR8
09-09-2008, 07:03 AM
ARH with stock muffs if you are planning on headers anytime in the future. My car is very stealth. By the time someone figures out what happened it is way too late! LOL

00 Trans Ram
09-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Hmm - perhaps just some ARH headers with cutouts. That could be interesting. I know that my stock LS1 with just headers dumped underneath sounds really nice at WOT. It'd certainly surprise a few people.

GRRRR8
09-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Hmm - perhaps just some ARH headers with cutouts. That could be interesting. I know that my stock LS1 with just headers dumped underneath sounds really nice at WOT. It'd certainly surprise a few people.

It sounds good, but you would never know how fast it was by the sound!

G8GTlawride
09-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I have the ARH 1 3/4 LT's with the stock mufflers. Very quiet, until you step on it. I have read elsewhere that the stock mufflers only lose a couple HP over aftermarket, with the headers. It was well worth the loss in HP to keep what is left of my hearing! I also have the VMS ECM/TCM tune, Roto CAI (lower panel cutout) and HSRK. The car is an absolute beast yet quiet.

GRRRR8
09-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Ditto!!!

GXPaycheck
09-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Got an e-mail from Hottexhaust today. The system will be finished and shipped from the factory next week.
I hate waiting....:jerkoff::wah::eyeroll::bm:

Panther 2
10-04-2008, 02:11 PM
:whistle:Kook's with stock mufflers sound almost stock, but put magnalow mufflers on and it's music to the ears!

GXPaycheck
10-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Got an e-mail from Hottexhaust today. The system will be finished and shipped from the factory next week.
I hate waiting....:jerkoff::wah::eyeroll::bm:

Still waiting.....
end of October now :(

grt08g8
10-05-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't know if you saw my post last month or not, but it was called damn WTF! had a custom x-pipe put in and stanless magnaflo's put on with a 4 inch angle cut tip. It sounded fuckin awful, especially when dod was active. well friday morning I went and had the factory dual tips put on and man what a world of difference, nite and day I mean. car is not too loud, not too quiet it's just right in my opinion. It now has the perfect grooowl. hard to believe something as simple as a tip could change that much.

GRRRR8
10-05-2008, 02:37 PM
The exhaust tip is very crucial to sound. I think the KOOKS muffs would sound way better with a dual tip to change the exhaust note/pitch.

jbradsh1
10-06-2008, 01:09 AM

I just had the Kooks shorties w/ high flow cats installed and kept the stock cat back. Along with the roto-fab, vms tune, and hsrk I'm very pleased. This set-up is stock quiet at cruise, quieter if anything, and the way I normally drive it around town you'd be hard pressed to tell it has modifications. It has just a touch more growl at light throttle, a little more growl at medium throttle and some more growl at WOT. I absolutely love it the way it is! And I picked up almost 5 mph and .6 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Wouldn't change a thing, well, except that I'm thinking seriously of having a good street cam installed, but I'm still not modifying the exhaust further as it's perfect to me right the way it is!