PDA

View Full Version : Default struts in GXP?

Eidolon
05-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Are the default struts in the G8 GXP still oil-and-air units like the GT, only firmer? I ask because I'm starting to look at Pedders packages for the GXP.

beach
05-29-2009, 03:46 PM
They actually are different than the GT's, and has gas charged front struts instead.

Eidolon
05-29-2009, 09:28 PM
The GXP rolls just a bit much in the turns, and the rear end can feel a bit vague courtesy of the independent rear suspension. A friend of mine who went by the handle ecetim on the LS1GTO forums is recommending, since the GXP should have uprated shocks, that I leave the struts/shocks and upgrade the springs and sway bars. He Pedderized his GTO a while back, so he has some experience in the matter!

Anyone done anything similar? Leave the shocks and upgrade the springs and sway bars on the GXP?

beach
05-30-2009, 06:40 AM
More so, the biggest thing you can do from the start even without touching your shocks or springs is to change out the bushings. Rear cradle, rear diff, and radius rods up front. BIG difference, especially out back with the wiggly stock rear end and the open, squishy bushings. From there, of course, more damping and spring rates to go with it with a hair less height to get the center of gravity down to a more appropriate level make another big change, but bushings are always recommended as the first of firsts by Pedders...and you can do things in stages, both to space out the cost and see at each step how you like it and if you want more.

GeorgeInNePa
05-30-2009, 02:40 PM
More so, the biggest thing you can do from the start even without touching your shocks or springs is to change out the bushings. Rear cradle, rear diff, and radius rods up front. BIG difference, especially out back with the wiggly stock rear end and the open, squishy bushings. From there, of course, more damping and spring rates to go with it with a hair less height to get the center of gravity down to a more appropriate level make another big change, but bushings are always recommended as the first of firsts by Pedders...and you can do things in stages, both to space out the cost and see at each step how you like it and if you want more.

I agree. Made a BIG difference in mine.

BigV8
05-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Would there be a differance in the bushings with the GTs fe2 and the GXP fe3 suspension

beach
05-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Would there be a differance in the bushings with the GTs fe2 and the GXP fe3 suspension

No. The GXP FE3 has changes but more just in the way of gas charged front struts that are a hair firmer, similar spring rate revision, and ever so slightly thicker sway bars. Otherwise, bushings and such are the same. The same issues on a GT are the same on a GXP, even if it is a tiny bit more tied down in stock form.

Panzer Leader
05-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Understand why I was told to go with Pedders instead of changing the FE2 to the FE3