PDA

View Full Version : Some suggestions for coolant in southern US

00 Trans Ram
09-09-2008, 06:31 AM
I noticed in another thread how some people were reluctant to lose their coolant while doing a pulley swap. Why? That should be one of the first things to go in a car in the southern states.

Coolant is kind of a misleading term. It's not coolant, it's antifreeze. How often does it get below freezing (especially low enough to freeze pressurized water in a car) in these states?

In fact, antifreeze is not as efficient at dissipating heat as regular old water! And, it's a heck of a lot more expensive!!

Now, I know all the stuff that people say about them having additives that prevent corrosion, lubricate the water pump, etc. But, it's an aluminum engine - what's going to corrode?

I've run distilled water (not tap water - it has minerals in it) and Water Wetter/Purple Ice in the cooling system of my LS1 in my racecar for all of its 80+k miles. About 30k of those miles are pure racing.

So, next time you go to flush the cooling system, just replace it with distilled water!

GRRRR8
09-09-2008, 06:41 AM
I agree to a point. In an everyday driver straight water has a high evaporation rate when engine temps get in the 200 range. On a race car its not a big deal, but on a daily driver if one doesnt check levels often there could be an issue down the road. Aluminum does corrode too. Cadilliac Northstars suffer from cylinder head pitting due to lack of coolant services or techs not putting the sealing pellets in.

Andy@Livernois
09-09-2008, 06:59 AM
i run a minimum of 15% antifreeze + water wetter/purple ice/radiator relief in my stuff. Antifreeze helps condition seals, prevents corrosion, lubricates the bearings in the pump, and does raise the boiling point of water.

One issue is if your coolant temps get to 212 an your water boils it is MUCH more difficult to cool after that. antifreeze raises the boiling point to help prevent the car from over heating uncontrollably...

I do recommend using the "global" antifreeze if you are changing it out...

Got 8?
09-09-2008, 07:26 AM
I thought the pressure cap and the fact that the system is pressurized caused the water not to boil at 212 ???

If I'm not mistaken the more pressure you add the more temp it takes to boil water...same science in why you pull a vacuum on an A/C system to lower the boiling point so the moisture evaporates out...

More pressure to raise the boiling point and less pressure to lower it...

If your radiator is boiling at 200 degrees test your radiator cap...unless you're at high altitude !!!

Andy@Livernois
09-09-2008, 07:55 AM
I thought the pressure cap and the fact that the system is pressurized caused the water not to boil at 212 ???

If I'm not mistaken the more pressure you add the more temp it takes to boil water...same science in why you pull a vacuum on an A/C system to lower the boiling point so the moisture evaporates out...

More pressure to raise the boiling point and less pressure to lower it...

If your radiator is boiling at 200 degrees test your radiator cap...unless you're at high altitude !!!

you are correct on that, i just would like some extra protection just in case the cap is messed up...

TrickyDuck
09-09-2008, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't go as far as saying "southern states", it may not get to freezing point in New Orleans but I live near Charlotte NC and the temp dropped below freezing several times last winter. My windshield washer fluid was frozen solid several times.

Chewy
09-09-2008, 12:33 PM
That is a great way but I travel all over the place so if you are buying a car with no plans to EVER drive to colder climates go for it! I use Engine Ice in my bikes which only protects to -26 which IA seldom gets to plus my bikes are stored in a climate and humidity controlled area. With the car I will stick to stock!

00 Trans Ram
09-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Sorry - my idea of "South" is anywhere that it doesn't snow every year. Everything else is "North".

Also, I should have stipulated that a Water Wetter or Purple Ice be used, too. They'll do all the lubricating and such that you need.

TrickyDuck
09-11-2008, 05:11 AM
I am not a true "southerner" just relocated here from Cali in January. BUT...if you where to tell some that was born and rasied in North Carolina or South Carolina that they are from the "north" they would be in your face in a heartbeat. Remember, North Carolina is the heart of NASCAR, a sport born in the SOUTH. It would be cool if Pontiac got back into NASCAR and they raced the G8!!!!

wreckwriter
09-11-2008, 05:12 AM
I am not a true "southerner" just relocated here from Cali in January. BUT...if you where to tell some that was born and rasied in North Carolina or South Carolina that they are from the "north" they would be in your face in a heartbeat. Remember, North Carolina is the heart of NASCAR, a sport born in the SOUTH. It would be cool if Pontiac got back into NASCAR and they raced the G8!!!!

Nascar was born in the South but the clear corporate direction now is to move away from that heritage in an effort to grab a broader demographic.

TrickyDuck
09-11-2008, 05:33 AM
NASCAR sure is trying to push its sport out, and it is working in most states. The California market is growing yet Fontana hasn't sold out in years, most people out there would rather watch it from the couch I guess. I went to the August race in "Fontucky" last year and it was like 112 degrees, though after enough beers I didn't care, still had a kick ass time.