PDA

View Full Version : Red Line Brake Fluid

Panzer Leader
05-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Charlie (and everyone else, this should be interesting) what do you (all) ( yea I am from the South) think of Red Line Brake Fluid?

GRRRR8
05-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Our vehicles require a DOT 4 fluid. If it is DOT 4/ABS compatible it should be OK.

Chewy
05-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Being into high powered bikes I have always looked for the best/easiest to find brake fluid and I found Valvoline synpower fluid to have a VERY high boiling point compared to standard DOT 4. I've used it in all my bikes for years with NO issues.

It's easy to find and inexpensive to use.

wreckwriter
05-29-2009, 06:16 AM
I used Wagner DOT 4. They make 2 grades, I used the more expensive. Used this because I could not find DOT 4 only locally, ordered it from Amazon.

Chewy
05-29-2009, 06:30 AM
I used Wagner DOT 4. They make 2 grades, I used the more expensive. Used this because I could not find DOT 4 only locally, ordered it from Amazon.

You can use the DOT 3/4. I've done it in the past a ton as it's cross compatible. Is there a reason YOU didn't? I just check to make sure the boiling point is high which the Valvoline synpower stuff is uber high. 502º+ dry boiling point.

If your fluid is old it’s full of water. As brake fluid ages it attracts water: engineers call it hydroscopic. That moisture boils at 212 degrees and creates pockets of air in your brake lines. Also, bits of rubber from deteriorating seals and other contaminates enter the system. These prevent the brake pads from pressing against the discs as hard as necessary. The moisture, dirt and other contaminates also cause premature failure of internal brake components.
The U.S. Department of Transportation has set boiling-point standards for brake fluids. The most common brake fluids are DOT 3 and DOT 4. Both are usually polyethylene glycol-based. Brand new DOT 3 boils at about 400 degrees. Top quality DOT 4 won’t boil until more than 500 degrees, though the legal minimum is about 450 degrees. That’s more than plenty unless you’re racing.
But add about three percent water—which is what the government does for testing—and the boiling point drops to less than 285 degrees for DOT 3, while DOT 4 falls at barely over 310 degrees. That’s cutting it close if you’re descending Independence Pass outside Aspen, Colo. with a loaded trailer.
If your car came with DOT 3, it’s okay to upgrade to DOT 4, though DOT 3 is just fine for the vast majority of drivers. But if your car came with DOT 4, use only DOT 4 fluid. Both DOT 3 or DOT 4 work fine with most disc or drum brakes and anti-lock braking systems (ABS).
There are a couple of other grades of brake fluid: DOT 5 and DOT 5.1. DOT 5 is silicone based and offers extremely high boiling points. However, DOT 5 doesn’t play well with DOT 3, 4 or 5.1, as well as some original-equipment brake system components. Consider it a track-racing-only fluid.
Synthetic, non-silicone brake fluids—called DOT 5.1—offer boiling points (500 dry and 356 wet) exceeding DOT 5, and are fully compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4 fluids.
What this means for the do-it-yourselfer:

- Top quality brake fluid is cheap insurance;
- If you open a brake fluid container, put the fluid in the car immediately, or discard according to recycling rules;
- Clean off the area around the brake fluid reservoir before adding fluid;
- Regularly check the brake fluid level. As brake pads wear, more brake fluid must be added;
- If you notice a “spongy” feeling pedal, you’re got a problem that won’t cure itself;
- Rapidly dropping brake fluid level (or brake fluid puddles under your car) signals a serious problem and should be addressed immediately;
- Renewing brake fluid (mechanics call it flushing) every couple of years can extended life of internal brake components and improve emergency stopping performance.
Brake fluid: Few think about it until it’s far too late. Separate yourself from the crowd.
About the Author

Mac Demere is a vehicle tester and race driver who competed in the NASCAR Southwest Tour and Daytona 24 Hours.

wreckwriter
05-29-2009, 06:38 AM
480. Seems high enough for me.

09-G8-GT
05-29-2009, 06:43 AM
To answer the question that he asked, Redline makes nice stuff. I used to work on a race car that was sponsored. I'm not sure about the boiling point, but its probably comparable to the rest of the brands.

Panzer Leader
05-29-2009, 05:57 PM
The reason I asked was I noticed the brake action, thought a higher temp BF would help the pedal action. Thanks for the info.