PDA

View Full Version : Rattle/noise coming from engine with heavy exhaust fumes

majesticix
05-28-2009, 07:48 AM
Car is not receiving any error codes from DIC or onstar. As I drive it gets louder and more rapid. I didn't drive the car more than a few hundred feet and I pulled over and called for a tow. I was getting heavy exhaust fumes (white). Any ideas on possible problem? I know it isn't much to go on but I figured we can play guessing games while I sit here and wait for the tow.

norm8332
05-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Charlie will know, But I always thought white meant coolant or bad cats.

GRRRR8
05-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Sounds like it is dumping fuel.

majesticix
05-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Dealership is looking at it now...says the sound is coming from the upper manifold and it doesn't look to be a quick fix at this point. They asked to see receipts from my recent oil changes...can't wait to see what this is going to cost. Better not try and void my warranty for this repair...

GRRRR8
05-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Didnt they have the intake off to get the broken bolts out?

majesticix
05-28-2009, 11:02 AM
they did...though this was a different dealership. I had the intake off with a dealership further out who could cut me a deal which was out of town...this is my local dealership who did ask me about it and I told them what happened. Glad I had a GM dealership look at it or else I'd be in real trouble...still worried about my tune causing some red flags though....

GRRRR8
05-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Gotcha.

majesticix
05-29-2009, 09:51 AM
welp, as they were pulling the car in to have it looked at this afternoon, the engine seized and shot something out. Don't know what shot out but doesn't look good. Now they are fighting me on the warranty because the dealer removed the manifold off just last week (GM dealer mind you). They don't even know what the problem is and they are already telling me I'm going to have to pay or the dealer...fun fun

-Ray-
05-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Blown head gasket Charlie? Water getting into the piston?

majesticix
05-29-2009, 10:00 AM
we did have a major downpour shortly before I started up the car...I can't imagine the OTR is to blame...then I'd really be screwed.

-Ray-
05-29-2009, 10:02 AM
No worry there. You have to submerge the intake to have that problem. Engine would hydro lock and not turn at all.

majesticix
05-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Is an engine typically replaced if it seizes?

r33pwrd
05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
we did have a major downpour shortly before I started up the car...I can't imagine the OTR is to blame...then I'd really be screwed.

Or better off as insurance would pay for it than ;)

wreckwriter
05-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Is an engine typically replaced if it seizes?

Typically yes.

superspud
06-05-2009, 04:12 PM
so what happened with it?

majesticix
06-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Will be updating all shortly. Not exactly sure what the problem is yet thanks to GM because they won't touch anything until they get approval, but the engine needs a new short block. There is now a hole in it. Started off with a ticking noise, towed it to a dealer, who then couldn't tell where the ticking noise was coming from. They attempted to drive it into the shop and in the process of backing it into the shop (or so they say) something shot out of the engine and made a noise, and I quote from one of the techs, "Like somebody tossed a steel wheel 10ft in the air and let it hit the ground." Now it has a hole in the block and oil spilled all out of it. There is no more anti-freeze, it all went into the heads as Mike at New Era was able to show me. Blown head gasket for sure...

After they blew up my engine, they told me they wouldn't warranty it and to take it back to the dealer I bought it from (who by the way is 90 miles away). They also said because I had a cold air intake, they wouldn't warranty it. No joke.

So, I towed the car to New Era, and put it back to stock, including loading the stock tune. Then towed it back to my purchasing dealer Wednesday evening. Didn't tell them about any mods, so as far as they know, it is stock. They had to submit a 24 page report and send pictures of the ECM and whatever else they could download from the car and email the pics to GM. Good thing I put this back to stock tune or I'd be totally screwed. Right now I am still waiting to hear back from GM about the approval...8 days after my initial problem. The only concern left is if they can tell when the ECM was flashed. Once I know, you will all know.

But be warned, don't plan on getting ANY powertrain warranty work done on your car if anything is modified. I don't care who you know because my father knows a lot of folks being a District Sales Manager for 28 years...and he couldn't pull any strings. These guys are looking for any red flags to not cover your warranty and they CAN read your tune, that is fact. I'll let you know if they can read the date of latest flash. If they can't, I may be in luck. If not, I'm looking at an $8000 bill.

majesticix
06-05-2009, 05:32 PM
And if I do have to foot the bill...there will be a call placed to my lawyer to possibly sue the dealership who actually blew my engine up, that is for sure. No way they aren't at fault. I delivered a running car with a tick. They gave me my keys back with a hole in the block and a $26,000 lawn ornament.

norm8332
06-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the update, I hope it ends up being approved. Must have been some sort of flaw in the engine.

majesticix
06-05-2009, 05:35 PM
One can only hope...I still like to know what went wrong in the first place. Won't be able to tell until they tear it down. If warranty doesn't cover it, New Era will be throwing in an LS3.

sweetair
06-05-2009, 05:54 PM
This is a total bummer. I am sorry. I was talking with the shop foreman at the dealership I bought my G8 from this week (he is trying to figure out the oil leak I have). I asked about a CAI if it voids a warranty. He said he doesn't care about a CAI or exhaust, but changing the software is a NO NO. GM can tell if you try to put the stock tune back in. Some numbers change internally in the computer that allows GM to see it. There is nothing he can do about it.

His recommendation to those of us out there that are changing the software is to buy a backup computer that is run on our car first, and then can be installed as it needs to go to the dealer for a warranty issue.

The fact that they blew your motor means you should notify them with attorney letterhead about your intentions of the dealer covering this issue.

Good luck.

grandmacpubah
06-05-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm assuming the ticking noise was fairly loud for you to take it to the dealer? are you thinking its possible when they got your intake manifold bolt out he got some shavings in the heads?

majesticix
06-05-2009, 08:04 PM
It's possible...though it was taped off before they drilled. I saw first hand myself. Very strange.

The ticking noise was quite loud. The whole point I towed it was to prevent any serious damage. Why the dealership didn't push it in is beyond me...

NAiLs
06-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Wow, fucked up. I want to keep my eyes on this one! Good luck with your repairs! I also don't understand why they didn't push it in, when clearly a loud tick isn't anything good...

-Ray-
06-07-2009, 02:59 PM
It's possible...though it was taped off before they drilled. I saw first hand myself. Very strange.

The ticking noise was quite loud. The whole point I towed it was to prevent any serious damage. Why the dealership didn't push it in is beyond me...

It wouldn't have mattered. They need it running to diagnose.

majesticix
06-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Alright so I got some great news today (and totally surprising). Called the dealership just to see if they heard any new news on finding an engine. Apparently they must have pulled one out of a cracker jack box in the middle of the week and are ready to drop a new engine in my car. They are just waiting on a part...guess the oil pan didn't fit or whatever, and mine has a hole in it so they can't use that.

After being stunned with this great news, I asked what he thought happened to the engine. He said for sure he thought I spun a bearing from his experience, but that was not the case with my car. Bearing looked fine, no apparent sign of overheating or nothing. A random catastrophic failure of the connecting rod snapping?!?!

Wow. Well good to know I didn't f* this thing up and glad it happened early on... I should have my car back later this afternoon or Monday.

How freaking cool is that...I am pumped. Now I just need to break this thing in so New Era can have at it again lol

norm8332
06-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Oil pan didn't fit? maybe they are putting the truck motor in and just switching the intake, pulleys etc?

majesticix
06-19-2009, 06:09 AM
I guess...I asked to make sure it was still the L76 (or somehow hoping for an LS3 hahaha) and he said its the same motor...so perhaps it is the Vortec Truck?? I assume that wouldn't have much if any impact on performance/mods if they are swapping out the intake and such.

dandragonrage
06-19-2009, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't accept the weight difference. These cars are already too heavy. It will definitely hurt if you like the twisties.

majesticix
06-19-2009, 04:49 PM
any idea of the difference in weight?

dandragonrage
06-19-2009, 09:46 PM
probably around 100 pounds?

majesticix
06-20-2009, 09:07 AM
ouch, that will not do. Better make sure I find out where they got this engine. I want to make sure I've got the right heads on it too because the Vortec L76 I believe has different heads as well from what I read online, as well as VVT. Can anyone confirm the difference between these? I know the intake is different and that would obviously be swapped out, but what else? I just want to make sure I'm not seeing reduced performance in any way shape or form.

Posidon42
06-30-2009, 04:06 PM
They cannot install a truck engine in your car. It is against DoT regulations. Even for cross platform swaps, you have to put a car engine in a car and vice versa. Bring a magnet with you and make sure it doesn't stick to the block or the heads. I just sold my 6.0L vortec engine with 2wd trans and it was a LOT less than what an L76 is worth. Makes almost the same power but adds weight. Difference is closer to 65 pounds than 100.

majesticix
06-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Good to know. I received the car pack and specifically asked if they put the truck engine in. They did not. Apparently the '09 L76 Engine they received had a few parts the wouldn't allow it to fit in my '08. Oil pan was slightly different. In any case, everything is up and working. I received a completely new engine, except for the intake which they reused.