PDA

View Full Version : Tune Options

SpeedRacerX
05-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Shortly, I will be installing the Borla catback exhaust and Vararam intake. I'll probably pickup the HSRK to be covered.

I have now researched my ECM/TCM tune options to the point of thinking - "they're all the same - give or take" so how can one decide.

You have Vector's VMS tune, Superchips' Cortex, Livernois Extreme tune, and then we have our local Dyno tune guys (two are highly respected here in New Jersey) who probably use the same kind of software or systems and just maximize everything for each individual car while using the dyno - I guess. Tuning can cost anywhere from $250 to $600 depending on the option. Might even be more options I'm missing. :wacko:

Can anyone shed some light on this and tell me the differences or which way would be the best way to go to get the most out of my setup???

Thanks in advance. I'm new but catching up. The mod bug has me again after all these years. A G8 GT has that affect on people. :)

Atlas
05-27-2009, 09:00 PM
id go with Matt and TTP, since he is close and can help if any issues arise...

knee_dragger
05-28-2009, 09:42 AM
id go with Matt and TTP, since he is close and can help if any issues arise...

2nd that! Great shop and tuner! Spent a lot of time on my G8 to get it just the way I wanted. Will be heading back soon for Supercharger!:woohoo:

Devilish34
05-28-2009, 10:07 AM
You also have RPM in Claymont, De
http://www.raceprovenmotorsports.net/home.html

Eric_GT
05-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Here is my take:
I originally went with the local guy. This shop builds race cars and dragsters for the big guys. I went in and he was loading a top fuel dragster, had a late 90's SS Camaro in one bay, an early '00 Mustang Cobra in another, and a 60's Camaro in another bay! Plus, his walls were covered with magazine articles on his cars!

Very nice guys, but they did not have the formula down for the transmission. They did a great job with the ECM tune, but the TCM was just not right. They commented on how there are hundreds of TCM tunes to chose from and getting it right will be trial and error. Well, I got sick of driving 45 minutes one way back and forth to find the right mix so I ended up driving a G8 with just over 2,000 miles that really just kinda annoyed me when going through the gears.

Take my next tune (Livernois), they have the numbers down. They already know what works. Personally I would rather deal with someone that has the files saved and has gone through all the trial and error already.

Plus, listening to the first tuner rev the hell out of my engine for 3 hours just about made my ears and finger nails bleed!

mtolivecracker
05-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Remember, there two tuners in NJ that sound the same and are both named Matt. One is in south jerz and is Matt at TUNE TIME Performance, and the other is up north and he is also Matt at TTPerfomance. HOLY SHIT, right? haha. I am also exploring some options for Tuning in NJ for my Vararam HSRK and ARH.

knee_dragger
05-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Yup I was referring to Matt @ Tune Time Performance in Toms River, NJ

Atlas
05-28-2009, 04:57 PM
as was i...

SpeedRacerX
05-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated!

Borla Catback and Vararam are en route via UPS :woohoo:
I'm like a kid a few days before Christmas - Bustin!

PS: after these two mods are added and before I get up to the tuner, do I need to unhook the battery for awhile (1-2 hours) so that the computer "learns" the mods? I thought I read that somewhere on the threads.

Rogue
06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
PS: after these two mods are added and before I get up to the tuner, do I need to unhook the battery for awhile (1-2 hours) so that the computer "learns" the mods? I thought I read that somewhere on the threads.

Certain aspects of the ECM are learned including timing based on octane you use over time, shifting firmness depending on how agressive of a driver you are etc... The ECM is apdative to your driving style and these things are reset when you disconnect the battery for while. If you don't undo the battery it will still learn with new mods on, it just might take some more time than if the ECM was reset.

As for tunes, we offer some great box tunes that are based on many many dyno tunes and every day street driving. We tested a variety of mods on and off the dyno and we offer them in several different ways. You can have us send you a physical ECM, you can send your ECM in to be programmed, you can come by the shop and we can flash it in the car, if you have HP Tuners we can send you a binary file for both the ECM and TCM and if you would like the ability to flash your car yourself we offer the INTENSE ECM Tuen and HP Tuners Package for a great price.