PDA

View Full Version : HID Low & High Beams (55w 6000k H11 kit and 55w 6000k H9 kit)

done12many2
05-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Well I have seen a lot of debate in regards to the use of 55w kits for low beams and whether or not to use HID for high beams as well.

After a lot of reading and a good discussion with Paul at DDM Tuning, I opted to take a stab at not only the 55w 6000k HID kit for the low beams, but the 55w 6000k HID for the high beams as well.

I have never used "flash to pass" as it never got me the results I wanted. I noticed that with my previous vehicles with OEM Xenon headlights, people seemed to naturally get out of the way. It doesn't seem to be the same with the G8. It may be in my head, but it seemed as if they were a little more aware that someone was behind them because the lights stood out a little better.

With that said, the fact that it will take a second or two for the high beams to come to full value is not that big of an issue to me since the low beams never shut off when the high beams are engaged.

I had the kits overnighted and am currently on leave, so I should have no problem reporting back the results by tomorrow evening.

Additionally, any heads up from the guys that have already installed the DDM Tuning kits would be great.

55belairgasser
05-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes report back I was wondering how the two sets would look. I have the 55watt 6000K hi-low on my 96 Impala SS and the hi was a waste of money. Same bulbs that only go slightly back when the hi beams come on. The low beams are great, I for the money one of the best mods I have done. Lance

TxNessie84
05-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Looking forward to hearing back, make sure to get some pics

TouchOfGray
05-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Looking forward to your report. I have 55w 600k low's in and they work great. Curious about the hi's

confused2much
05-27-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm assuming you got the accessory harness with them? If so, make sure you check polarity with a voltmeter before plugging everything in. I, and many others on here, had wires reversed in ours. A few fuses later (and some great info from board members) and I checked polarity and found my problem. Seems to be common! Good luck with the install.

done12many2
05-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Well I have both the Low and High beam for the driver's side done and am half way through the passenger side. It's a good bit of work doing both for obvious reasons. Two of everything.

After finishing the driver's side and pissing and moaning a bit about how long it's taken, I turned the lights on and all I can say is, HOLY SHIT. They are bright and the absolutely perfect color. I am not going to say anymore about them until it's done, but seeing the driver's side remotivated me into actually finishing this project. :)

55belairgasser
05-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Ok it has been 25 mins. where are the pics? Just kidding, take your time and get all the wires tucked away in the right places. Good luck and post pics. when you DO get done - Lance

P.S Touch of Gray, what wheels are you running and do you have a close up pic? Thanks

TxNessie84
05-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Can't wait to see some pics, you definitely wasted no time in getting them started

done12many2
05-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Went for a 10 minute ride down the highway near my house and I absolutely cannot believe how fantastic the dual 55w 6000k High and Low beam combo is. The low beams by themselves are impressive, but combined with the high beams, it is almost unbelievable.

My highs before were very good for OEM lights, but after seeing what the 55w high HID high beams do, there is ABSOLUTELY no comparison between the two. It does take a couple of seconds for the high beams to reach full brightness, but the lows never shut off anyways, so no real loss for me. Once they are warm, you can shut them off for passing cars and they will immediately pop back on to full brightness.

I am under orders from the boss that I must watch a movie right now. I am going to try to sneak out after she passes out for the night and get both HD video and pictures. Sorry for the wait, but she rarely bugs me for this “quality time,” stuff. :)

done12many2
05-27-2009, 10:55 PM
To be quite honest and I know everyone says it, but these pictures don't even begin to show the difference between low and high HID beams. I will have pictures of the car itself and a video of the lights from the driver's seat view sometime tomorrow.

As far as the functionality of the lights. Not a single hiccup. They turn on when they are supposed to and there are no unusual flickers or need to power cycle.

As a side note. I did not use any relay harnesses or additional wire. I only used the HID lights and ballasts themselves.

Low Beam HIDs and Foglights

http://9oqgvw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pcN2ZMvIEhPPpNRTcXgiucfA8tBAiXzFWyKMp5G_BTJaRfIC uJPK0Ar4cCqDXvDCs2lu1dD44a5JGssdYkSbNHiwkXfVF9mM7/Low-1.jpg

High Beam HIDs

http://9oqgvw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pSAXxyyPPkdwthDUHxyRWzFgiOXVdWaJi8jPQCIK21PkNrvf QlAz6NNKEmFOhx4LuPHeLxT6E5BPKjFvfeSd3USgTeRTeUJfJ/High-1.jpg

TxNessie84
05-28-2009, 04:41 AM
Looks good man. I think the headlights on the G8 are pretty good stock, they definitely put the ones on my F150 to shame, but when I see these threads I wonder if I shouldn't make the switch. I have been tempted on the truck but without projectors I don't want to be one of those jackasses blinding everyone.

When you get some more pics and video can you get some of the cutoff?

Dee
05-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Hey guys I know this might be a stupid question but will this mod void the manufacturer's warranty on the car? I want install these on my car but wasn't sure if it did or not.

TxNessie84
05-28-2009, 06:51 PM
If you were to have electrical problems they might try to blame them on the headlights but they are supposed to have to prove that aftermarket parts caused the problem in order to do so.

Dee
05-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks TXNessie84! Do you know of a good website to order these from?