PDA

View Full Version : Car Dies at Startup..

jayj
05-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Charlie: Sure hope you can help with this one. My G8 GT has just under 9000mi on it. About a week after I got it, it would occasionally die upon startup. 2 or 3 tries later, it would catch. Fast forward to now--it is happening about 30% of the time now and takes more tries to get it going.It's at the dealer and they are claiming that the Vararam is the problem, but this was happening (although not as often) long before the Vararam install. The last thing I want to do is take out the Vararam, put the stock POS induction back on and have to take it back to them again to fix. Any thoughts??

Thanks-

Jay

P.S. Just received my Vector tune, but do not want to install until this is resolved.

GRRRR8
05-26-2009, 10:32 AM
The tune will take care of it. I assume there is no check engine light....

jayj
05-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks Charlie! There is no check engine light. Will install the tune tonite!

Best Regards-

Jay

Blackdevil77
05-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Just curious. What in the tune would fix this problem? I never had the problem before or after tuning but I did notice the car seems to start quicker with the tune

BW G8GT
05-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Can installing the Vararam without a tune cause startup problems? I also have a Vararam and want to install soon, but will wait for a tune if I can avoid any problems.

GRRRR8
05-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Sometimes things in a factory tune are not perfect and when the ecm is reflashed the issue disappears. Any CAI needs a tune. Thats a fact. OTRs need it more as the MAF has been relocated.

todds87ss
05-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Sometimes things in a factory tune are not perfect and when the ecm is reflashed the issue disappears. Any CAI needs a tune. Thats a fact. OTRs need it more as the MAF has been relocated.

I would agree if it was any other symptom. Cold start and CAIs have very little to do with each other (MAF leaks aside). Since I do not have a VR, I would ask if it is that much trouble to swap the stock intake. If not, (or even if it is) I would swap them out and see if the symptoms go away. I would do this BEFORE the tune. If you put in the tune and the issue is still there, there is that much more work to return it to stock before returning to the dealership. If the dealership finds your tune (and they might look, given your symptoms), they may balk at performing warranty work.
That's just what I would do; my .02
Good luck.

GRRRR8
05-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I would agree if it was any other symptom. Cold start and CAIs have very little to do with each other (MAF leaks aside). Since I do not have a VR, I would ask if it is that much trouble to swap the stock intake. If not, (or even if it is) I would swap them out and see if the symptoms go away. I would do this BEFORE the tune. If you put in the tune and the issue is still there, there is that much more work to return it to stock before returning to the dealership. If the dealership finds your tune (and they might look, given your symptoms), they may balk at performing warranty work.
That's just what I would do; my .02
Good luck.

He had issue even stock, no codes. It sounds like a software glitch to me. I see them all the time and a reflash whether dealer or other cures it.

todds87ss
05-28-2009, 11:17 AM
He had issue even stock, no codes. It sounds like a software glitch to me. I see them all the time and a reflash whether dealer or other cures it.

Roger that. Thanks for setting me straight...again!

GRRRR8
05-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Roger that. Thanks for setting me straight...again!

Somebody has to do it. :)

jayj
06-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Charlie: Been out of town for awhile, so its time for an update. Talked to the guys at Vector and they said that their tune would not affect (or cure) my problem. They suggested that I install the tune, as you did, and observe the results. Still have the problem, but instead of getting it every 7 or 8 starts, its about 1 out of three. It is going back to the dealer--my question--should I re-install the stock tunes (engine and trans) before taking it in?

Thanks-

Jay

norm8332
06-05-2009, 06:34 AM
I'll chime in,

Yes or they could deny your warranty.