PDA

View Full Version : wet carpet

wreckwriter
09-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Hey guys, the carpet in the back seat behind driver seat is constantly getting damp/wet. At first I thought I had left the rear window cracked in rain but have since come to believe it may be something else. I have dried the area thoroughly but it just keeps coming back, even when it doesn't rain.

All weather seal looks good, no drip marks noted. One thing I do notice is the the rear a/c vents often feel wet. What sort of a/c plumbing/ducting is inside the center console?

Thanks for any ideas!

Tom

GRRRR8
09-08-2008, 06:12 AM
Check a/c drain 1st. Make sure it is draining correctly. I have repaired too many cars with wet rear carpet and it was the a/c drain.

wreckwriter
09-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Check a/c drain 1st. Make sure it is draining correctly. I have repaired too many cars with wet rear carpet and it was the a/c drain.

Its definitely draining, visible under the car when I shut down, but I should verify its draining completely I guess. Do you know exactly where the drain exits the car?

jnak
09-08-2008, 06:37 AM
The centre console, at least the rear of it, only has a duct coming from the blower. It's just a plastic tube that comes up the passenger side of the console and exits via the vents. I don't think there could be water coming out of there, but you never know.

It's easy to access the rear part of the console - just pop the two silver trim pieces off, and there's like 10 screws holding it in.

wreckwriter
09-08-2008, 06:38 AM
The centre console, at least the rear of it, only has a duct coming from the blower. It's just a plastic tube that comes up the passenger side of the console and exits via the vents. I don't think there could be water coming out of there, but you never know.

It's easy to access the rear part of the console - just pop the two silver trim pieces off, and there's like 10 screws holding it in.

OK, thanks. If the drain were partially clogged I could see water getting in there.

wreckwriter
09-08-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm going let the dealer have a look at it this afternoon. Hopefully they'll find something obvious but my experience has been that stuff like this can be tricky to find. Wish me luck...

wreckwriter
09-08-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm going let the dealer have a look at it this afternoon. Hopefully they'll find something obvious but my experience has been that stuff like this can be tricky to find. Wish me luck...

Next time I make a suggestion resembling the above, someone slap me please.

GRRRR8
09-08-2008, 03:12 PM
:nutkick: Now that thats out of the way, what happened?

wreckwriter
09-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Fucking nothing. Asshole refused to even look at it unless I left it for at least a full day. He knew everything about what it couldn't possibly be.

He did agree to have my trans fluid level checked though. When I suggested he at least have them look at the floorpan while it was on the lift he said "we aren't going to put it on a lift". That's when I knew how much he really knew about my car.

99% of all service advisors I've ever met have been useless, about half are assholes on top of that. This guy just adds to both totals.

ps- He said the trans was 3-4 oz low. Assuming they really figured out how to check it that's a relief

GRRRR8
09-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Thank God I am only a Service Advisor 1/2 the time and in the 1%. LOL I get this almost everyday from customers. Very sad that the dealer in most cases are not as good as a decent independent. Whats it smell like, water? Clear in color?

wreckwriter
09-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Thank God I am only a Service Advisor 1/2 the time and in the 1%. LOL I get this almost everyday from customers. Very sad that the dealer in most cases are not as good as a decent independent. Whats it smell like, water? Clear in color?

Yea, it's water.

GRRRR8
09-08-2008, 03:42 PM
I reread your post and it is FOR SURE A/C. I will see what I can get a diagram of, But it may be sweat/condensation causing this in the center console. We have similiar climates and mine doesnt do it so my guess is the center console is not draining or not sealing.

wreckwriter
09-08-2008, 04:06 PM
I reread your post and it is FOR SURE A/C. I will see what I can get a diagram of, But it may be sweat/condensation causing this in the center console. We have similiar climates and mine doesnt do it so my guess is the center console is not draining or not sealing.

Thanks Charlie. I probably won't have time before it goes into the shop for installs but as soon as I get it back I'll need to fix this before my carpet is fuct. Tearing apart the console sounds like a good first trick.

EC-Ryder
09-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Wreck I don’t worry too much for your carpet it will be fine. It is the matting underneath that gets screwed.

The carpet can be rinsed with clean clear water and dried but the matting is what may have to be replaced. Fortunately it is not that expensive and warranty should cover.

I do however hate those trips to the stealerships, but I’ll hold my peace on that for now LOL!

Cheers!

EcoBrick Bob
09-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Tom,

Wet carpet issues make me paranoid....

Checked mine after pressure washing and thankfully no leaks. Only wet things were the nose prints from our dog!

Is the entire area behind drivers seat wet or can it be pinpointed to console or door post, near rear seat etc.? Backseat footwells are definitely a low point in interior.

Rob

wreckwriter
09-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Tom,

Wet carpet issues make me paranoid....

Checked mine after pressure washing and thankfully no leaks. Only wet things were the nose prints from our dog!

Is the entire area behind drivers seat wet or can it be pinpointed to console or door post, near rear seat etc.? Backseat footwells are definitely a low point in interior.

Rob

The whole footwell. Its not very wet, just enough to be noticeable. I have the mat out to help it dry. As soon as I get the car back I'll be finding the problem.

wreckwriter
09-21-2008, 08:26 AM
The one bit of good news lately is that this seems to have resolved itself, at least for now.

locrzn#92
09-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Wreck, do you have a moon roof? If so, you may have a problem with it not draining properly. My daughter has a g6 and gm had a recall to extend the drain tube, her rear floor board was getting wet on the passenger side. They extended the tube and its fixed. Good luck.

wreckwriter
09-21-2008, 02:04 PM
No, no roof.

wreckwriter
10-02-2008, 04:53 AM
Lot of rain last few days, water is now back.

EcoBrick Bob
10-02-2008, 05:20 AM
Damn....

wreckwriter
10-02-2008, 05:28 AM
Yea, I really need to get SOMETHING fixed on this car. At this point I'm starting to feel like it's pretty much a piece of shit.

GRRRR8
10-02-2008, 05:31 AM
That has to be a cowl drain or windshield issue, but I have seen door seals cause this too.

EcoBrick Bob
10-02-2008, 06:28 AM
That has to be a cowl drain or windshield issue, but I have seen door seals cause this too.

Any chance there is a small hole in the floorpan? Does it show up when the car is parked, or just when you've driven it in the rain?

Need to get rid of "Murphy"...

Rob

GRRRR8
10-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Oh at this point I think Tom has a "contract" on Murphy!

wreckwriter
10-02-2008, 06:34 AM
Last leakage occurred without driving so I don't think that's likely. I think its a door seal but it looks perfect. I dunno.

Chewy
10-02-2008, 06:36 AM
This isn't good anywhere but in FL it's REALLY bad. Mold will set in if you don't nip it in the bud FAST! Are you spraying the area with a mold/mildew preventative or anything? :o

wreckwriter
10-02-2008, 06:41 AM
I haven't had time to wipe my ass much less spray the carpet in the last few weeks. Things are stacking up too fast to be dealt with.

wreckwriter
11-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I forgot to post the final answer to this. The guy that installed my alarm needs a lesson on grommeting and sealing when he makes holes in firewalls.

GRRRR8
11-08-2008, 04:45 PM
That would do it!