PDA

View Full Version : Latest G8 Recall

Pontiac1
05-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Check out autoblog.com "Burying the Dead: Pontiac G8 faces recall over faulty taillamps, tire-pressure sensors"

Gris
05-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah, brake lights OK but too bad they didn't also include the updated timing chain tensioner - that concerns me more than the tpms.

norm8332
05-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/22/burying-the-dead-pontiac-g8-faces-recalls-over-faulty-taillamps/

BluYa76
05-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah, brake lights OK but too bad they didn't also include the updated timing chain tensioner - that concerns me more than the tpms.

I'm there with you on that! I wonder really how big of an issue the timing chain tensioner failure rate is now? Sorry did not mean to thread jack.

Panzer Leader
05-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Point of clarification, when speaking of TSBs understand that some are common to all three (3) models. Some maybe only common to the GT and GXP and not the mighty V6. Please clarify if possible. The timing chain tensioner is only applicable I bet to the GT. THANKS

RacerxG8
05-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Ok, what the heck does the "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver" have to do with either the TPMS or the brake light switch?

Panzer Leader
05-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Oh, BTW, I had my car in the shop. Brakes were fixed, strut kits installed, but dealer awaiting correct washers to do the alignment. Most of the other complaints came back anotated " Could Not Duplicate At This Time." WTF/BS BUT the dealer also performed what he claimed was a TSB for the exhaust system. Anyone know of this? And BTW, is GM going to notify us about the brake light and TPMS sensors. I have not heard one thing from them on ANY TSB.

norm8332
05-23-2009, 04:54 PM
I certainly can't take my car in for any reprogramming.

OK, who on here has the repair procedure?

steined
05-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah, for some reason I don't think I can take mine in either! :P

jerluv2
05-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Ok, what the heck does the "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver" have to do with either the TPMS or the brake light switch?

The RCDLR is the reciever module for the TPMS and RKE systems.

jbradsh1
05-24-2009, 04:39 AM
Already had the tail light reprogrammed. It was actually affecting the cruise control, that's how I noticed the problem. Cruise wouldn't work sometimes unless I put my foot under the brake pedal and pulled up, then it would. Then my brother noticed my brake light was on a lot when I wasn't braking. I told the Dealer that the proof of that was that my brother noticed the brake light was on at the same time smoke was pouring off the tires as I left from a stop (joke).

Never had a problem withe the TPMS that I know of, yet.

Panzer Leader
05-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I shall again pose this question, "How accurate are they?" After checking my tires with two (2) different pressure guages (One analog (Old Type) and one digital (New Type) both read the exact same pressure. However, my TPMS shwed that the tires were almost 3 psi more. Possibly, I have someone else's sensors, anyone want to trade around? (No GM won't pay the shippimg) BTW I have the 18" rims running the Bridgestone Summer Performance tires. Have not noticed the brake pedal problem with the cruise and tail light add-ons. Now the real question, as I read the recall these problems are common to all G-8s. Is that correct?

TomPierce
05-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Search Results
Report Date : May 25, 2009 at 06:41 PM
NHTSA Campaign ID number : 09V172000

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
PONTIAC / G8 2008-2009
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: MAY 20, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V172000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: TIRES:PRESSURE MONITORING AND REGULATING SYSTEMS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 35038
Summary:
GM IS RECALLING 35,038 MY 2008-2009 PONTIAC G8 VEHICLES FOR FAILING TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, "LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT" AND FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLES SAFETY STANDARD NO. 138, "TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEMS". THE BRAKE PEDAL POSITION SWITCH MAY HAVE BEEN INCORRECTLY PROGRAMMED. WITH THIS CONDITION, THE BRAKE LAMPS MAY BE CONTINUALLY ILLUMINATED AND FAIL TO WARN A FOLLOWING DRIVER WHEN THE VEHICLE IS BRAKING. ALSO CERTAIN VEHICLES MAY HAVE INCORRECT VALUES PROGRAMMED INTO THE TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM THAT WILL NOT ILLUMINATE THE LOW TIRE PRESSURE TELLTALE UNTIL TIRE PRESSURE FALLS BELOW VALUES REQUIRED BY THE STANDARD.
Consequence:
INAPPROPRIATE, NON-STANDARD LIGHTS COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH OR DRIVING ON A SIGNIFICANTLY UNDER-INFLATED TIRE CAUSES THE TIRE TO OVERHEAT AND CAN LEAD TO TIRE FAILURE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE BRAKE POSITION SENSOR AND THE REMOTE CONTROL DOOR LOCK RECEIVER WITH THE CORRECT VALUES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE JUNE 5, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT GM PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 09101 & 09046. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Snakey
05-25-2009, 04:52 PM
So i wonder if the dealership will take care of this when the try to fix the noise in my front suspension....

ETIDMotorsports
05-25-2009, 07:05 PM
I tried clicking the link and it did not work...

Panzer Leader
05-25-2009, 07:29 PM

Obviously the link needs a recall.

gearhead455
05-25-2009, 07:35 PM

Works for me.

G8GT594
05-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Funny how many issues there are with these cars. Excellent work GM!

4 DOR VTT
05-26-2009, 02:35 AM
We can all complain on and on but these cars are still a great vehicle and the cars will be fixed. Hell enjoy what you have most won't have the chance!

Panzer Leader
05-26-2009, 03:47 AM
We can all complain on and on but these cars are still a great vehicle and the cars will be fixed. Hell enjoy what you have most won't have the chance!

I really hope that you are right. Overall the car is a good car. Initially I believed it to be a real competitor with BMW. However, after only a few thousand miles I am beginning to wonder. The creaks and rattles, while a pain is something I could live with, but the suspension problems are not.

TxNessie84
05-26-2009, 04:48 AM
I shall again pose this question, "How accurate are they?" After checking my tires with two (2) different pressure guages (One analog (Old Type) and one digital (New Type) both read the exact same pressure. However, my TPMS shwed that the tires were almost 3 psi more. Possibly, I have someone else's sensors, anyone want to trade around? (No GM won't pay the shippimg) BTW I have the 18" rims running the Bridgestone Summer Performance tires. Have not noticed the brake pedal problem with the cruise and tail light add-ons. Now the real question, as I read the recall these problems are common to all G-8s. Is that correct?
Interesting, I have checked mine with a digital gauge and it reads the same as the sensors. I haven't checked it with an old school one though. I wonder if all are affected.

Chewy
05-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Charlie had that "tail light" issue almost right after getting his car...

Panzer Leader
05-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Fast update. Car sensors under recall completed. Had nitrogen change out done to tires. I asked my folks at the dealership if the psi is noew considered a different reading. Meaning door jam calls for 36 psi front and 39 rear (18" wheels) Here is what I was told, check at cold status. Add 10% to what the door jam says for nitrogen offset. That means 39.6 front and 42.9 rear. (If my math is correct. I will recheck pressures tomorrow and see if the guages and TPMS agree.

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE: ALIGNMENT ISSUE. To correct my alignment they the dealer needs special washers. BUT guess who makes them, you got it, PEDDERS, GM does not even show a GM stock part number. GO FIGURE!

gearhead455
05-26-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm making an appt. with the dealer tomorrow to bring mine in for the recalls ,my question would be, during the recalibration wont they see my other settings have been changed from my tune?

BlueJacket
05-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Got a call from the dealer today saying that there were two open campaigns on my G8.

r33pwrd
05-26-2009, 02:13 PM
I certainly can't take my car in for any reprogramming.

OK, who on here has the repair procedure?

Its the body control module... tell them you have a tune and they will do the brake light switch! Guys if your nice and honest with these dealerships (and not a pain in their ass) they will do just about anything for you!

grandmacpubah
05-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Its the body control module... tell them you have a tune and they will do the brake light switch! Guys if your nice and honest with these dealerships (and not a pain in their ass) they will do just about anything for you!

+1

xpmanny
06-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Got a call from the dealer today saying that there were two open campaigns on my G8.

I (gxp 6m) had two recalls addressed during last (6/2/09) service visit -

09101 tmps/brake sensor stuff and a mysterious 09076 cluster reprogram.

My rep at the dealer said he knows nothing (very Schultzy-like) other than it being a reflash of cluster.

So, anybody have more info on the 09076??

WickedMom
06-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Here is the cluster update...

#09076: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - IP Cluster Reprogram - Expires with Base Warranty - (May 21, 2009)

This bulletin provides a service procedure to reprogram the IP cluster on certain 2009 model year Pontiac G8, and export Chevrolet Caprice and Lumina vehicles. During vehicle service, if the battery is disconnected and the air bag diagnostic module is subsequently disconnected, and then the battery reconnected without reconnecting the air bag diagnostic module, the supplemental inflatable restraints (SIR) may be disabled. In the event of incorrect service as noted, SIR warning lamps would not indicate that the SIR system is inoperative.

This service procedure should be completed as soon as possible on involved vehicles currently in dealer inventory and customer vehicles that return to the dealer for any type of service during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period.

WickedMom
06-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Here is the TPMS procedure.

Subject: 09128 -- Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Tire Pressure Monitor System - Reprogram Required - Expires June 30, 2010

Models: 2008-2009 Pontiac G8

THIS SERVICE UPDATE INCLUDES VEHICLES IN DEALER INVENTORY AND CUSTOMER VEHICLES THAT RETURN TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR ANY REASON. IT WILL EXPIRE JUNE 30, 2010 .
Purpose

This bulletin provides a service procedure to reprogram the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver with the correct values on certain 2008-2009 model year Pontiac G8 vehicles equipped with "Tire Pressure Monitoring System". These vehicles may have incorrect values programmed into the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).

This service procedure should be completed as soon as possible on involved vehicles currently in dealer inventory and customer vehicles that return to the dealer for any type of service but no later than June 30, 2010, at which time this bulletin will expire.
Vehicles Involved

A list of involved vehicles currently in dealer inventory is attached to the Dealer Communication, used to release this bulletin. Customer vehicles that return for service, for any reason, and are still covered under the vehicle's base warranty, and are within the VIN breakpoints provided below, should be checked for vehicle eligibility in the appropriate system listed below.

(deleted vin breakpoints to make post a lot shorter)

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system(s) below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.
- GM dealers should use GMVIS.
Parts Information

No parts are required for this recall.
Service Procedure

Perform the following procedure to correct the TPM Pressure values.

Note: Do NOT reprogram the RCDLR as indicated in SI documents. Programming the RCDLR may result in additional unnecessary programming.

1. Connect Tech 2 ® to vehicle.
2. Select Body.
3. Select appropriate HVAC as fitted.
4. Select Remote Control Door Lock Receiver.
5. Select F5: Module Set UP.
6. Select F2: Tire Type/Pressure Selection.
7. Select P-Metric Standard.
8. Select Front Tires - Select pressure value applicable to installed tire specification as shown on vehicle tire placard e.g., 250 kPa.
9. Press Enter.
10. Select P-Metric Standard.
11. Select Rear Tires - Select pressure value applicable to installed tire specification as shown on vehicle placard e.g., 270 kPa.
12. Confirmation screen will now be displayed. Confirm values entered and press Enter.

WickedMom
06-04-2009, 06:38 PM
My car reads exactly what the gauges show in the tires after this update. Before it used to read high. (or so I think)

But the way I read this update it is just changing the values that are in the TPMS, and what it looks for. Like if your tire has 20lbs of air in it and the low tire warning not coming on because your car thinks it only needs 24lbs, when really it needs 39.
(does that make sense?)

-Ray-
06-05-2009, 03:36 AM
My TPMS warning comes on at 29 lbs. I had adjusted my tire pressure and apparently a bit of dirt got in the valve. It slowly leaked out. I checked it with my gauge and it read 29.
I turned the car around and went back to my shop and filled the tires.

Hessian
06-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Got a call from the wife last week. She was freaking out over the TPMS reading that the back left was low. Sent her to the dealer and found out there was a recall on them. I think the major reason she was freaking out is because 2 days before I told her about the lack of a spare tire. :D

gearhead455
06-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Just got back from the dealer,told them about my tune and not to change anything. No problem they didn't need to do a PCM? for the recalls so nothing was changed. Service manager told me whenever they need to program the puter in the event of an engine problem,the GM puter will wipe out any tune you have, back to the factory settings.Only took 30 minutes.

R.J.
06-07-2009, 08:29 PM
I purchased the car 5-15-09. Is there any way to confirm if these recalls have been done without going to the dealer for nothing?

WARLOCK
06-07-2009, 08:59 PM
ditto

gearhead455
06-08-2009, 02:27 AM
I purchased the car 5-15-09. Is there any way to confirm if these recalls have been done without going to the dealer for nothing?

This latest recall was just issued over Memorial Day weekend,so I think you should call for an appt. or just call the service manager and give him your info and vin.# and they can look and check to see what has been done to the car.

Virus
06-08-2009, 04:06 AM
I had mine done the week after Memorial Day.

13 QTR
06-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I just received the notice about the tmps/brake lights thing. Going tommorrow to have it done.
I'll probably take the laptop and the flashcables and re-flash it just to be sure they don't put the factory stuff back in.

rclinton
06-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Well I've read everything on the recall on both boards. Still not clear on what the concensus is for those with the VMS tune (stealth). Do you leave it with the tune or reflash back to stock prior to bringing the car in for the recalls?.....or does it matter.

BW G8GT
06-08-2009, 01:54 PM
too bad they didn't also include the updated timing chain tensioner - that concerns me more than the tpms.

+1

gearhead455
06-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Well I've read everything on the recall on both boards. Still not clear on what the concensus is for those with the VMS tune (stealth). Do you leave it with the tune or reflash back to stock prior to bringing the car in for the recalls?.....or does it matter.

I told them I had a tune and not to change anything,well it turns out they don't have to mess with any of that for the recall anyway.I think your fine.

SLVRG8GT
06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I just received the notice about the tmps/brake lights thing. Going tommorrow to have it done.
I'll probably take the laptop and the flashcables and re-flash it just to be sure they don't put the factory stuff back in.

Got my Goverment Motors notice today too. :D

BlueJacket
06-08-2009, 06:40 PM

Same here

Panzer Leader
06-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Had the TPMS done. They also did an exhaust TSB. Check the brake sensors no problem.

WickedMom
06-08-2009, 08:07 PM

I can run GMVISes and see who has what recalls open, just PM em to me...

GR8 Vino
06-09-2009, 04:58 AM

I got mine today also. I haven't been having any issues with any of this but I will try to get it in within a couple days. They don't have to do anything with the ECM or TCM do they? Should I reflash back to stock to be safe?

GEE8GEETEE
06-09-2009, 06:23 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what to do as well. I have a CEL right now having something to do with the Engine Control System as well as having to do the latest recalls. Probably gonna take out my tuned ECM and put the stock one back in. Hopefully the CEL comes back on with the stock one in so I can take it to the dealer to get fixed. My question is, what will happen to my TCM tune and other ECM ? If they fix the CEL problem on the stock ECM, and I put the tuned one back in will the problem come back and will it effect my TCM tune ?

GM_Fan
06-09-2009, 06:59 AM
I got my notice in the mail yesterday. The dealership called this morning to notify me and I'm scheduled to come in Thursday.

edmanet
06-09-2009, 08:18 AM
I don't care if the dealer knows about my mods. I just need to know if the dealer needs to flash the ECM or the TCM for this recall. If he does I'll have to wait until I get my cables from LIVERNOIS. There's no way my car would run with a stock tune.

Besides the dealer already knows I modded my car. All you have to do is start it. The tech was like WTF when he drove my car back from the bays.

fiveoh
06-09-2009, 08:38 AM
I got my notice yesterday. If my car doesnt have any of these issues do I need to take it in? How long is the window for getting recalls done? I really dont have time to get these done right now.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
06-09-2009, 09:00 AM
A recall is a mandatory service that has no expiration. A TSB is optional and expires when the warranty is up, and they will only perform the service if the customer complains about the issue.

bobyoung
06-09-2009, 09:21 AM
I got my notice a few days ago too, always though the air pressure sensors read too high, not sure about the brake lights, I'll bring it in when I get some time. My understanding of the Vector stealth tune is that it's locked anyway, no one can mess with it, not sure about GM but it's nice to know they don't have to flash it anyway. My place is pretty cool though, I'm sure they wouldn't care, unless I blew the engine or something like that.

majesticix
06-09-2009, 09:40 AM
My place is pretty cool though, I'm sure they wouldn't care, unless I blew the engine or something like that.

:)

DRCUSTOMPARTS
06-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Majestic did they tell you why your engine blew?

jeppsG8
06-09-2009, 11:10 AM
I got a recall notice today for taillights, TPMS, brake pedal sensor, and something else my wife couldn't remember from the letter.

-Ray-
06-09-2009, 01:12 PM
I got a recall notice today for taillights, TPMS, brake pedal sensor, and something else my wife couldn't remember from the letter.

I got my letter this week as well.

BW G8GT
06-09-2009, 01:57 PM
they will only perform the service if the customer complains about the issue.

They can also refuse to do a TSB. I had to go to 3 dealers before I was able to get the TCM update. The first two dealers refused to do update!

jeppsG8
06-09-2009, 02:29 PM
They can also refuse to do a TSB. I had to go to 3 dealers before I was able to get the TCM update. The first two dealers refused to do update!

+1

13 QTR
06-09-2009, 02:53 PM
got mine done today. Done in about 30 mins. When they hooked it up,they done a check on everything.....everything passed...

they did some update on the air bag system...haven't heard of anything on that one.

Kermit
06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Got mine as well yesterday. I have seen it asked a couple of times but don't see an answer. Does it deal with the ECM or TCM? I also have the Vector tune and want to make sure that it will not interfere with that.

gearhead455
06-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Got mine as well yesterday. I have seen it asked a couple of times but don't see an answer. Does it deal with the ECM or TCM? I also have the Vector tune and want to make sure that it will not interfere with that.

READ MY POST. lol:)

jadesboutique
06-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Got my letter this week as well. I do have a question, should I change my intake and exhaust back to stock when I take my car to the dealer? or do they not care?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
06-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I had my car in for warranty work and they didn't say anything about my tune/CAI/Borla mufflers.

bobyoung
06-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Got my letter this week as well. I do have a question, should I change my intake and exhaust back to stock when I take my car to the dealer? or do they not care?

I have a Rotofab CAI on mine and they haven't said a word. In fact one time one of the mechanics told me about his brother who is restoring a 68 Goat for the second time, he restored it years ago and I guess it's time again.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
06-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm pretty sure the warranty has expired on the 68 Goat, lol

chipman283
06-10-2009, 09:44 AM
I got mine yesterday. Goes in next wednesday.

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
06-10-2009, 09:46 AM

No. I updated my car here at the shop with no issues.

Many of our customers have also had the updates done with no issues.

WickedMom
06-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Kirk(and anyone else who is doing these recalls), just so you know, the brake pedal recalibration procedure was updated today and it says after the recalibration you need to leave the key off for 4 minutes instead of the originally stated 30 seconds to prevent setting fault codes... Thank you, come again.

ChicagoG8GT
06-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Got my recall notice the other day... oh well dont bother me much!

Kermit
06-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the clarification gearhead455 and Kirk! I just don't want the dealer to know I have a tune. What they don't know wont hurt them or me for that matter. :)

BobtheMonkee
06-10-2009, 04:28 PM
hmmm...guess im heading to the dealership tomorrow. I got my notice in the mail today.

My dealership knows that my G8 is modded to hell and they love it (they always fight about who gets to test drive it after oil changes :P). Glad to hear its not an ECM/TCM update

GR8 Vino
06-10-2009, 06:05 PM
No. I updated my car here at the shop with no issues.

Many of our customers have also had the updates done with no issues.

Thanks for info Kirk. I will get mine in Friday so I don't have to worry about this any more.

snowmunky
06-11-2009, 12:10 PM
didn't even know about these, but i took my car in for service today for some other issues (i have a thread in the lounge) and they performed 09046 and 09101 on my car...

i didn't tell them about the recalls (obviously, as i didn't even know about them), and they didn't even mention it to me when giving my car back... i just read it on the paperwork/receipt they gave me.

bubblyjock
06-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Got my papers a couple days ago and set up a time to get them done. Well brought the car in and said that I was the only one that they have had to do this on. And I pretty much know for a fact that I am the only 08 G8 in my town, so I don't think they would be doing any more of them. Well after getting the call that my car was done, I hurry back and the service manager is standing out side with the hood up on my car it doesn't even look like it has moved from where I parked it. So I get out and ask if everything is ok and he says "yeah it was just a simple reprogram there was no need to pull it in", ok I am thinking then why is the hood up. Then he goes on "all the guys have seen you driving buy the dealership every once in a while and just wanted to hear you start the car up and give it a rev, if that is ok with you?" I though to myself awesome not only do they not care about the mod's but they want to hear them. So I give them a rev and a little fishtail as I leave. Well I take the car home right away because I have to get back to work. But tonight I go out and go for a drive, and for some reason the car feels different. I know they didn't do anything with the ECM/TCM but the tranny feels and is shifting different. So I go to the spot I do fast takeoff's and I can usually brake and stomp the gas and no burn out. But tonight it was no only a burn out but quite an impressive one I might add. So I am just really dumbfounded on why it would be acting like this. Sorry for the two mile long story, what can I say I am long winded!

WickedMom
06-11-2009, 07:06 PM
lmfao. which recalls? cause the tpms and the brake pedal cali should not have ANYthing to do with your performance

on a side note... look here giggles (http://forum.grrrr8.net/showpost.php?p=103450&postcount=182)

DRCUSTOMPARTS
06-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Maybe they put a cam in it and didn't tell you. :secret:

bobyoung
06-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I haven't had the time to bring mine in yet but I did check the brake lights and there's nothing wrong with them at all they go on and off when there supposed to, I do think the air gauges read high though and always have. I'm going to try and get it done tomorrow. It says they also reprogram the remote control doorlock receiver with the correct values, what's with that?

BW G8GT
06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Had recall done at my local dealer yesterday. I brought both key fobs with me and asked if key fobs are part of recall, and if they needed to be reprogramed. The tech was not aware of key fobs being involved in recall.

Is key fob involved in recall?

WickedMom
06-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Not that I know of...

08G8V8
06-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Had recall done at my local dealer yesterday. I brought both key fobs with me and asked if key fobs are part of recall, and if they needed to be reprogramed. The tech was not aware of key fobs being involved in recall.

Is key fob involved in recall?

No, I believe it said the receiver for the key fobs.

WickedMom
06-12-2009, 09:29 AM
THE RECALL PROCEDURE READS:
Service Procedure
Perform the following procedure to correct the TPM Pressure values.

Note: Do NOT reprogram the RCDLR as indicated in SI documents. Programming the RCDLR may result in additional unnecessary programming.

•Inspect and adjust the tire pressure, if required. Refer to SI for tire specification information. Refer to Technical Service Bulletin 00-00-90-002J for information on proper tire pressure.
•Connect Tech 2 ® to vehicle.
•Select Body.
•Select appropriate HVAC as fitted.
•Select Remote Control Door Lock Receiver.
•Select F5: Module Set UP.
•Select F2: Tire Type/Pressure Selection.
•Select P-Metric Standard.
•Select Front Tires - Select pressure value applicable to installed tire specification as shown on vehicle tire placard e.g., 250 kPa.
•Press Enter.
•Select P-Metric Standard.
•Select Rear Tires - Select pressure value applicable to installed tire specification as shown on vehicle placard e.g., 270 kPa.
•Confirmation screen will now be displayed. Confirm values entered and press Enter.
•Provide the customer with a copy of the Customer TPMS Information on the following page.

BW G8GT
06-12-2009, 07:51 PM
No, I believe it said the receiver for the key fobs.

<they also reprogram the remote control doorlock receiver with the correct values>

Correct

95_9C1
06-14-2009, 02:47 PM
How important is it to get this recall done, immediately?

My car is not exhibiting any problems: tires have air and brake lights appear to be working as they should

I will get this done, but can I wait about a week?

WickedMom
06-14-2009, 02:53 PM
yes.

zepcom
06-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Had the TPMS done. They also did an exhaust TSB. Check the brake sensors no problem.

? Can someone post what the Exhaust TSB is ?

I had the TCM TSB done (didn't really help, the shifting still gets confused from time to time) but have not yet heard about the exhaust TSB.

Please do tell...

wreckwriter
06-17-2009, 05:10 AM
Got my recall done yesterday. They did not need to mess with ECM or TCM. I told them not to just to be sure.

WickedMom
06-17-2009, 05:38 AM
? Can someone post what the Exhaust TSB is ?

I had the TCM TSB done (didn't really help, the shifting still gets confused from time to time) but have not yet heard about the exhaust TSB.

Please do tell...
I believe this one...

#09-06-05-002: Exhaust Rattle/Rumble on Cold Start Up (Perform Repair as Outlined) - (Apr 14, 2009)
Subject: Exhaust Rattle/Rumble on Cold Start Up (Perform Repair as Outlined)

Models: 2008-2009 Pontiac G8 (Including GT and GXP)

Condition

Some customers may comment on a rattle/rumble on cold start up for approximately 15-20 seconds. This rattle only occurs during a start from cold with fast engine idle. It can be aggravated by selecting drive during this period. Once idle returns to normal, the rattle will stop.
Cause

This condition may be caused by misalignment of the intermediate exhaust pipe to catalytic converter creating a contact point at the flanged joint.
Correction

Do This

Disassemble the intermediate pipe to converter joint and reassemble with specified torque sequence.

Don't Do This

Do not replace any exhaust components for this condition.

Verify the customer concern. If as described above, disassemble the intermediate pipe to catalytic converter flange joint on both sides and reassemble with the specified torque sequence shown in picture below.

Tighten
Tighten the retaining nuts to 45N·m(30 lb ft).

Ktlplxm
06-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Someone may have already pointed this out or asked it, but is there a way to get rid of the TPMS all together? It is nothing more than a pain in the ass. Pressures are correct except in the morning, and no matter what that little DIC always says its low in the mornings. I know the temp is lower and the pressureis lower, but it isn't critical. I don't need the vehicle to tell me pressures. Maybe I'm just colder about it than most people but
I honestly feel that if one is too lazy to check their tires manually they deserve whatever happens. We have to put up with it because of slackers, Firestone and Ford... ok I'm done ranting

DRCUSTOMPARTS
06-19-2009, 09:17 AM
That's why there's a recall and an update, to fix the problem of a false warning. I haven't had the recall done and my TPM system works just fine, but the ones that are having issues should get the update done.

Ktlplxm
06-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Thats why it aggravated me, I did not have the problem till the update. Now it flashes every frickin morning on the fronts

DRCUSTOMPARTS
06-19-2009, 11:44 AM
I didn't know you had it updated, maybe if you put more air in the tires it won't do it. I'm running 38 psi on all 4 tires, but I don't have the update.

dandragonrage
06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
We have to put up with it because of slackers, Firestone and Ford... ok I'm done ranting

Firestone was not at all at fault in that. They got thrown to the dogs.

G8GTlawride
06-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Any real need to get this done if no issues present?

R.Penguin
06-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Does it deal with the ECM or TCM?

no.

R.Penguin
06-25-2009, 06:53 PM
How important is it to get this recall done, immediately?

My car is not exhibiting any problems: tires have air and brake lights appear to be working as they should

I will get this done, but can I wait about a week?
I got letter. Checked brake lights. Threw letter away.

TMPS? Been drivin' 50 years me not knowing what f'ing tire pressure is in ea. tire. Sometimes look at tires to see if flat. No flat me drive! :p

Such bullsh*t!!!!!!

DRCUSTOMPARTS
06-25-2009, 08:55 PM
There's no real need to get the recall done if you don't have the problem, I haven't taken mine in because both of them work fine on my car. The recall doesn't effect the ECM or TCM so no worries there.

95_9C1
06-25-2009, 11:17 PM
FWIW, I had both 09101 and 09076 done, this morning.

Whatever those recalls are supposed to do, they're doin' it, now.

At least, I met with the service dept. who would most likely be handling any future issues i may have...(knock on wood)...

bobyoung
07-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I still haven't taken mine in yet, brake lights are fine. The tire pressures are all about 3 lbs too high though, and I did notice something strange a while ago but though it was normal. On the display the front and back tires are reversed, the fronts are at the bottom and the backs are on top. I thought this was a little idiosyncrasy of the car until I got my onstar report today, they also reported them backwards. I have 39 in the rear and 36 in the front but the onstar report had them as 42 (3lbs too high) in the front and 39 in the rear, has anyone else experienced this? I mean the reversed tires on the display. Also the Onstar report always has normal listed as 33 front and back but the door jam has them as 39 rear and 36 front which is the way I do it although it does ride hard, which is correct?

DRCUSTOMPARTS
07-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Evidently the tires were rotated and the sensors weren't recalibrated. Your owner manual tells you how to do it, you will find the procedure on page 9-53.

-Ray-
07-05-2009, 02:21 AM
I still haven't taken mine in yet, brake lights are fine. The tire pressures are all about 3 lbs too high though, and I did notice something strange a while ago but though it was normal. On the display the front and back tires are reversed, the fronts are at the bottom and the backs are on top. I thought this was a little idiosyncrasy of the car until I got my onstar report today, they also reported them backwards. I have 39 in the rear and 36 in the front but the onstar report had them as 42 (3lbs too high) in the front and 39 in the rear, has anyone else experienced this? I mean the reversed tires on the display. Also the Onstar report always has normal listed as 33 front and back but the door jam has them as 39 rear and 36 front which is the way I do it although it does ride hard, which is correct?

The rated pressure listed at 39 Lbs. is for a fully loaded car. Since the weight balance is near 50/50 you can put the pressures evenly. I run about 34 Lbs. cold.

bobyoung
07-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Ray, are the tire pressures on your display backwards?

sgt_rock
07-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I just had mine rotated and have the same situation. Thanks for the reference to the manual, I didn't realize this didn't need dealer intervention.

SpeedRacerX
07-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Had my car in for the recalls this morning. I really wanted to do this so I could meet with and speak to the service manager about...........mods and their take on things.

I am happy to report that my dealer was fair and open about this topic. The only thing he is worried about is if the car's ecu was changed. Now who would do that? :secret:

Obviously, eliminating cats would be a problem.

Catback, CAI, no problem.

I even asked about Headers with high-flow cats. He said no problem. If it passes emmissions inspection and there are cats on there, he is fine with it.

Granted, he did say if there was some sort of problem that was caused by my mod, they wouldn't cover it. But he said, that is very rare and they really aren't looking to find something.

He was comfortable with me having and was knowledgeable about bolt-on type mods. He knew why I was asking...
Hey, since the Maggie comes factory on the ZR1 and the CTS-V, can the Maggie count as bolt-on? :nah:

He was a little upset when a guy with a GTO came in with line-lock...whatever that is??? He had heartburn with this.

I will now continue with my modding! :prostock:

Monty
07-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Which dealer did you go to?

SpeedRacerX
07-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Which dealer did you go to?

Burns in Marlton.

Monty
07-30-2009, 06:01 PM
I almost bought a GrandPrix GXP off of them.

Project Whiplash
07-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Im taken my car in tomorrow morning. To get the brake light recall done. How hard or easy of a job is it? Will i have to leave my car with them?

I was also told about some Transmission problem that will have to be done..

Monty
07-30-2009, 07:22 PM
Im taken my car in tomorrow morning. To get the brake light recall done. How hard or easy of a job is it? Will i have to leave my car with them?

I was also told about some Transmission problem that will have to be done..

I was there for 45 min. They plug your car into a computer and add the updates. If your car is tuned turn it back to stock first. Just in case.

bobyoung
08-01-2009, 11:12 AM
I was there for 45 min. They plug your car into a computer and add the updates. If your car is tuned turn it back to stock first. Just in case.

Mine was tuned when I brought it in.

Project Whiplash
08-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I had both recalls/update done in 15mins..

Tommy G
08-01-2009, 02:14 PM

Recalls are done for safety issues.

stryker g8gt
08-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I had the recall for the remote and TPMS done today.......I was there for my busted seat trim agian (5th time i think).....Have to leave the car for day next week for the seat trim piece.......Any other big guys have this problem........where the side trim on the drivers seat pops out becuase the seat smooches down so far that it breaks the plastic fastner.......I am 6'2" and 320lb..... but hell there was no size limitation on the manufacture sticker.........lol.........The service manager is very pleasant and helpful......and they all love my car when i come in......And i always end up talking with someother Pontiac junkie when I am there, so it is kinda cool.

AusTXGT
08-07-2009, 02:19 AM
I had the recall for the remote and TPMS done today.......I was there for my busted seat trim agian (5th time i think).....Have to leave the car for day next week for the seat trim piece.......Any other big guys have this problem........where the side trim on the drivers seat pops out becuase the seat smooches down so far that it breaks the plastic fastner.......I am 6'2" and 320lb..... but hell there was no size limitation on the manufacture sticker.........lol.........The service manager is very pleasant and helpful......and they all love my car when i come in......And i always end up talking with someother Pontiac junkie when I am there, so it is kinda cool.

Mine is going in tomorrow for the same seat trim issue. I am 6'6" and 295lb. They ordered the piece last week when I took it in for the recall updates.

stryker g8gt
08-07-2009, 07:10 AM
They are going to add more seat filling, agian to make the seat stiffer around that edge next week......

Scorpious
08-08-2009, 04:10 PM
not yet no bursting of the seems yet but when it does ill b sure to send it in

Crazy_A
08-18-2009, 03:30 AM
What kind of interior do you guys have whose seats are busting? I hope it's not the leather...

980birds
08-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Mine is cloth interior and I'm 6'8 340 and it came off pretty fast. I put it back on and it came off in 2 days. Put it back on a third time and actually heard a click, hasn't come off since then.

caretaker
08-18-2009, 05:26 AM

Yep, my seat trim is hanging in mid-air too.
I'm 6' 7" and we won't even go into the weight thing.
Now that I know they will fix it I got to visit my dealer.

09Stryker
08-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Same problem with the seat. I'm about 6' 280. They are supposed to look at when it goes in for the recalls and other "issues"

DRCUSTOMPARTS
08-18-2009, 08:05 AM
You guys are some big boys, I'm only 5'10" 200 lbs! No seat problems here.....

Night Train
08-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Ruh roh.... I'm pretty close to you all's weight. I hope that I don't get the same problem.

gearhead455
08-19-2009, 04:42 PM
No seat problems yet. 5'7" 330 :D

SpeedRacerX
08-20-2009, 05:53 AM
6'1" 270. No problems with seat yet...

99-LS1-SS
08-20-2009, 05:57 AM
4'2" 395 lbs.....j/k

5'9" 190 lbs and no issues.

BlueJacket
08-20-2009, 05:59 AM
I broke mine too. The way that trim mounts is stupid. Of course the part was on back order but Greg was able to get me one in a week.

IXLR8
08-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Last one lasted about 3 weeks. they need to do something...

G8H8
08-20-2009, 07:20 PM
5'9" 190 lbs and no issues.

Same here no problems so far.

jonjones88
08-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Can you guys post a pic, so we can be on the lookout for the seat problem?

BlueJacket
08-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Here is the pic I sent to Greg when I needed a new one. That is way it had "I need this thing" on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bluejacket651/G8%20GT/aaa.jpg

Night Train
08-22-2009, 08:33 PM
No seat problems yet. 5'7" 330 :D:surprise:

reek
08-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Quick question concerning the original Recall issue. My TPMS all read right but pressures fluctuate a good 3-5 psi as I drive. No brake light issues. But I bought my G8 GT June 23, 2009.

No recall notice yet. Do dealers usually update/do recall work prior to sales on new cars?
Or do I just wait to see if the problem develops OR get a recall notice?

REEK

-Ray-
08-26-2009, 03:00 AM
Reek, the recall was for a couple things. One, was the limits programmed for the tPMS were incorrect. The other was for the brake light switch.
If you are in the recall, you should have received a notice by now.
You're dealer can tell you with your vin number.

SRG963
08-26-2009, 03:16 AM
Quick question concerning the original Recall issue. My TPMS all read right but pressures fluctuate a good 3-5 psi as I drive. No brake light issues. But I bought my G8 GT June 23, 2009.

No recall notice yet. Do dealers usually update/do recall work prior to sales on new cars?
Or do I just wait to see if the problem develops OR get a recall notice?

REEK

Oxygen filled tires will fluctuate as you described.

I didn't have any issues, but still had recalls performed.

Devilish34
08-26-2009, 03:29 AM
Guess I should do this before my car goes under the knife

Opeth
08-26-2009, 04:19 AM
Here is the pic I sent to Greg when I needed a new one. That is way it had "I need this thing" on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bluejacket651/G8%20GT/aaa.jpg

I had it break too. It took about 2 weeks to come in to the dealer an I had it replaced. However, it broke again 2 months later. Its awful. All of the weight of the driver is placed on this little plastic clip everytime the driver gets out of the car. I'm a big guy, but nothing that would warrant multiple seat failures.

reek
08-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Reek, the recall was for a couple things. One, was the limits programmed for the tPMS were incorrect. The other was for the brake light switch.
If you are in the recall, you should have received a notice by now.
You're dealer can tell you with your vin number.

I'll probably call the service dept for the dealer as see if my VIN is involved. I think my vehicle production date is within the dates outlined in the Recall notice I found on line.

I'm loving my G8 but now I'm getting a bit paranoid with all the 'issues' I ran across online. Timing chain tensioner breakage, front suspension bearing issues, the initial clunk thing, etc.... I think it's better not to get on line so often and just drive/enjoy the car.

Sheesh....

REEK

Vivayo
08-27-2009, 08:22 AM
I received an email from the dealer's service manager 3 days after I bought the car. It said I needed the TPMS reprogram. I also had the cruise control fail on me....driving along with it on, it turned off and I couldn't reset it. I also got a DIC message that the ESP was off...couldn't turn it back on either. Don't know if the brake lights were on, as I didn't think to look. I had both of these TSBs taken care of yesterday in about 20 minutes...now if they could find someone to take care of the scratch on the trunk lid with the correct color of white...their touch-up guy is an independent, working out of the back of his truck...it looks like he covered the scratch with typewriter white-out :puke: I told 'em I could'a done that myself in my driveway....They apologized, I left and 20 mins later they called with an appointment at their body shop (their main dealership is in another town about 15 miles away)...I take it in Monday (could'a been today but I asked for Monday).
These thjings can happen, but as long as the dealer (Winegardner of Prince Frederick, MD) is as responsive as they've been so far, I have no complaints.
Charlie

reek
08-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I received an email from the dealer's service manager 3 days after I bought the car. It said I needed the TPMS reprogram. I also had the cruise control fail on me....driving along with it on, it turned off and I couldn't reset it. I also got a DIC message that the ESP was off...couldn't turn it back on either. Don't know if the brake lights were on, as I didn't think to look. I had both of these TSBs taken care of yesterday in about 20 minutes...now if they could find someone to take care of the scratch on the trunk lid with the correct color of white...their touch-up guy is an independent, working out of the back of his truck...it looks like he covered the scratch with typewriter white-out :puke: I told 'em I could'a done that myself in my driveway....They apologized, I left and 20 mins later they called with an appointment at their body shop (their main dealership is in another town about 15 miles away)...I take it in Monday (could'a been today but I asked for Monday).
These thjings can happen, but as long as the dealer (Winegardner of Prince Frederick, MD) is as responsive as they've been so far, I have no complaints.
Charlie

I just moved from Baltimore to Sacramento. Not that that is of any real importance. Kinda miss Bmore...

any way, I just got off the phone with my pontiac service dept. They checked my VIN and said my car is NOT involved in the recall for the brake light/TPMS. That was easy.

I'm looking for color match touch up too. Seems like my front Fascia is taking a beating with stones, exposing the black of the plastic under the silver paint. looks like poo on a 3 month old car.

REEK