PDA

View Full Version : 09G8GT tunning? superchips? good/bad

ABD09G8GT
05-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi, I just got an 09 G8 GT about a week ago I love It but more power Is allways better, Im new to all this. I'm getting the verram intake soon but what I would love most Is a dyno tune however I dont know of anyone In my area (fall river ma) who does tunes, I dont want to get a superchips handheld but Im thinking I might have too. I really like what VMS is doing but that whole mail order tune thing scares me. Im paying for this car by working 55 hrs a week and I cant afford a problem. Please any imput would be much appreciated. Is the superchips even worth buying?

Slizzo
05-21-2009, 02:32 PM
I own a Superchips Cortex, and it's a great little unit; however the only reason why I bought it was because I didn't feel safe tuning my car as it's a lease vehicle.

Once I buy a G8 when my lease is up, you'll bet your bottom dollar I'll be getting a custom dyno tune done on the new car. Nothing can beat a tune that is tailored to YOUR specific vehicle.

I would say since you are planning on an OTR intake, a custom dyno tune would be best. I believe Slowhawk is in MA, but there are others. Regardless of all I've said, VMS is a good shop, and they will "remote tune" your vehicle if you get the Powrflash cables I believe. There is no real risk by going the mail order route from any of the various vendors on this site.

But for the convenience of the Cortex, it can't be beat. I can return my car to stock in 10 minutes wherever I may be (leave the tuner in the car).

BigV8
05-21-2009, 05:03 PM
I also have the superchips tuner and it was nice to have when I was getting a check engine light for the Gas cap problem I was able to go back to stock quick.As soon as superchips get the cold air intakes tune done it will be even better.

ABD09G8GT
05-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys Im gonna look around for a good shop for a dyno tune. But for now I might just get the superchips cortex.

ABD09G8GT
05-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Any noticable performance gains with the cortex, I do like the fact that you can tune the ecm and tcm and the 93 octane must be sweet. I love the fact that you can easily change back to stock tune, and delete engine codes. But Im really after the performance gains and nothing beats a good dyno tune, But this should be good untill I can get one.

locrzn#92
05-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I picked up 1/2 second at the drag strip, I'd say thats a pretty good gain. Tranny is 10 times better and you can shut off the drone from the afm/dod.

BigV8
05-22-2009, 10:52 AM
I picked up 1/2 second at the drag strip, I'd say thats a pretty good gain. Tranny is 10 times better and you can shut off the drone from the afm/dod. +1 the tranny tune is sweet

Devilish34
05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Does the cortex have a CAI tune yet? Call Vector they have a Varram specific tune

Coldones
05-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Does the cortex tune work on 09.5 model year cars ?