PDA

View Full Version : Rear Object Sensor Package

Copperhead
05-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Rear Object Sensor Package

Is this a camera or something else like a curb sensor? Anyone have it installed and find it useful?

thx

xpmanny
05-27-2009, 05:19 AM
I had the GM rear sensor package installed recently at a GM dealership. 4 ultrasonic sensors mounted in the rear bumper that, when put into reverse, provide a sound to indicate distance left. Nothing in way - no sound. Then tone/beeping starts and goes quicker until a steady tone indicates you're pretty close to something. Standard ops for this type of sensor system.

Worked ok, but then it stopped working properly after a couple days. Took car back and they couldn't ID any problem, so they ordered new sensors. Waiting on the parts currently.

Overall, I'm not sure I'd do again if I had the chance. I was a little impatient, and did not fully investigate a rear mount camera. The GM sensor kit is just tone-based and it does not link with the vehicle's info display to indicate which sensor is picking up an object. So it's a GM kit, but it does not integrate with the car. It's simply an independant add-on.

Also, I pd 400, which included parts and labor. Note that they forgot to consider body shop time in their estimate. Had they captured that, would have been more like $550.

BlueJacket
05-27-2009, 05:23 AM
I had the GM rear sensor package installed recently at a GM dealership. 4 ultrasonic sensors mounted in the rear bumper that, when put into reverse, provide a sound to indicate distance left. Nothing in way - no sound. Then tone/beeping starts and goes quicker until a steady tone indicates you're pretty close to something. Standard ops for this type of sensor system.

Worked ok, but then it stopped working properly after a couple days. Took car back and they couldn't ID any problem, so they ordered new sensors. Waiting on the parts currently.

Overall, I'm not sure I'd do again if I had the chance. I was a little impatient, and did not fully investigate a rear mount camera. The GM sensor kit is just tone-based and it does not link with the vehicle's info display to indicate which sensor is picking up an object. So it's a GM kit, but it does not integrate with the car. It's simply an independant add-on.

Also, I pd 400, which included parts and labor. Note that they forgot to consider body shop time in their estimate. Had they captured that, would have been more like $550.

At that price a rear camera would be a better investment IMO. Even with JHPs overpriced VIM at $250 and a good Camera would be less then $150. Also it is a very easy DIY project.

xpmanny
05-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Well, costs are like this -
the GM b/u sensor kit was $280.

rear camera - $260 for VIM and roughly $200 for a camera. Then add-in costs for cables and adapter plugs of maybe $70. And you likely want the micro-switch for $70 or so that automatically switches to camera when put in reverse. So before considering any labor costs, looking at a real cost of well over $550, likely closer to $700.

It's double the cost for parts alone for the camera. But it is likely the better solution. I wish I hadn't been so quick to do the sensors. I'll likely have both in a little while.

BlueJacket
05-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Well, costs are like this -
the GM b/u sensor kit was $280.

rear camera - $260 for VIM and roughly $200 for a camera. Then add-in costs for cables and adapter plugs of maybe $70. And you likely want the micro-switch for $70 or so that automatically switches to camera when put in reverse. So before considering any labor costs, looking at a real cost of well over $550, likely closer to $700.

It's double the cost for parts alone for the camera. But it is likely the better solution. I wish I hadn't been so quick to do the sensors. I'll likely have both in a little while.

You can get a nice camera for under $200 and it should come with any cables you need (mine did) and the VIM comes with the harness for the video input. Also a switch is not needed you just have to wire your power off of the reverse lights (what I did).

netmand
05-27-2009, 07:20 AM
I'm not into the riveted-on rear bumper look that those things give you. Extra dough or close, I'd rather buy the camera.

wreckwriter
05-27-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm not into the riveted-on rear bumper look that those things give you. Extra dough or close, I'd rather buy the camera.

+1

Wag 42
05-27-2009, 07:41 AM
I ended up buying a Boyo VTL420. Got if off ebay for $80/delivered. Came w/all cables. Just needed to buy the adapter that connects video to the head unit ($25). It mounts where the rear license plate mounts-really clean install. Boyo makes some really nice units. Doesn't have night vision, but really doesn't need it-it's super bright at night. So I have a total of $105 into mine, but still need the VIM. Attached a picture from the manufacturer below...

micheal0484
05-27-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm Glad to see the cables worked for you Wag. I got some more to get rid of..

4 DOR VTT
05-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Micheal0484 what kind of cables do you have for the factory screen? and what mods would be need to allow the screen to function in reverse? I think I have seen that it won't work over 2mph?

Wag 42
05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm Glad to see the cables worked for you Wag. I got some more to get rid of..

Thanks Michael. Yep, they work sweet. Now it's just that damn VIM!!

micheal0484
05-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah I know, I need more hours in the day! Back to the thread, I would like a rear object sensor setup that would take the atari gauge over and use it like a signal strength bar.