PDA

View Full Version : How does VIM work, electrically?

Paniller
05-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Let's get a discussion going, so I can come up with a solution for this. I'm not paying $250 for it.

Who has schematics for the car to radio interface? I'm assuming it's not a simple on/off wire for VIM, correct? Is it on a data bus, where I'd have to intercept the signal and filter/edit it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

norm8332
05-19-2009, 11:38 AM
It's controlled by a program one of the computers in the car. That much I know. The kit you can buy includes a one time use programmer that removes the speed restriction.

Paniller
05-19-2009, 01:16 PM
It's controlled by a program one of the computers in the car. That much I know. The kit you can buy includes a one time use programmer that removes the speed restriction.
Yeah, but somehow that speed has to get to the head unit. There's gotta be a way to intercept it.

Steve
05-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Gmw3089 - should be similar discussion in posts from last year/early this year

BobtheMonkee
05-19-2009, 06:49 PM
this would be great...everything that is JHP is a rip off...I fail to see why a simple software modification costs so damn much. this should be a $50 fix

lets kill their VIM monopoly

fiveoh
05-20-2009, 04:52 AM
this would be great...everything that is JHP is a rip off...I fail to see why a simple software modification costs so damn much. this should be a $50 fix

lets kill their VIM monopoly

Agree I would like VIM but I dont want to pay 250 just to get it then have to spend money on a backup camera or dvd player or whatever else I decide to use with it.

norm8332
05-20-2009, 05:25 AM
I think part of the JHP cost is the one time use programmer, but you know there is a healthy margin in there.

Paniller
05-20-2009, 06:06 AM
I think part of the JHP cost is the one time use programmer, but you know there is a healthy margin in there.
The programmer itself isn't one time use. It can be used over and over again. JHP just adds a parameter in there that locks it after one use, so you can't use it on friends' cars or resell it. When you send it back to them when you're done, they just unlock it again and send it to the next customer.

If anything, that programmer lowers their costs. They probably only have a fleet of 10 or so that they cycle through. Those things were probably paid off after the first 2 sales.

All you're really paying for with JHP is the development time/resources. You get nothing physical, you just pay for the labor of development. Which of course is nothing to sneeze at either, unless the manufacturer just gave them everything they needed upon request.

Wag 42
05-20-2009, 06:46 AM
I believe (but not sure) that a guy by the name of Adrian at No Limits actually developed it for JHP.

I have to agree the price they charge for it is way too much. It would be great if someone could develope one at a fraction of the price. Unfortunately, it's the old "supply and demand". They have it, and can charge whatever they want.

Sorry to ramble, I really hope you figure this one out, and wish I could be of help. I'd really like to purchase one from someone here rather than JHP.

BlueJacket
05-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Sounds like a job for Chris White.

GTPprix
05-20-2009, 07:25 AM
VIM is enabled via quick reprogram of a few blocks in the radio via the Low Speed Single Wire CAN bus.

ashaal
05-20-2009, 10:11 AM
VIM is enabled via quick reprogram of a few blocks in the radio via the Low Speed Single Wire CAN bus.

:confused2: English....

fiveoh
05-20-2009, 10:21 AM
:confused2: English....

And can you hack it for us cheaper? :)

Paniller
05-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Easy enough, assuming I could get my hands on the protocol for this CAN bus, and what blocks/how to program them. I'd imagine I'd need to contact Blaupunkt and beg for this, and possibly pay them =(

GTPprix
05-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Easy enough, assuming I could get my hands on the protocol for this CAN bus, and what blocks/how to program them. I'd imagine I'd need to contact Blaupunkt and beg for this, and possibly pay them =(

You are kidding right? Do you even know the mode to request the security seed from the radio and what format it needs to be in? It's far from "easy" and Blau isnt going to give you squat, not trying to be mean just trying to be a realist :)

BlueJacket
05-20-2009, 11:19 AM
You are kidding right? Do you even know the mode to request the security seed from the radio and what format it needs to be in? It's far from "easy" and Blau isnt going to give you squat, not trying to be mean just trying to be a realist :)

You are mean, keeping the info to yourself. lol:nah:

GTPprix
05-20-2009, 11:32 AM
LOL :D Will do :)

Steve
05-20-2009, 12:17 PM
not trying to be mean just trying to be a realist :)

Yeah that - if it was that easy you'd see several solutions out there already... hence why really the $250 doesn't seem that high to me but maybe that's just me (but yes i'm still too cheap to buy it ;) )

Paniller
05-20-2009, 03:53 PM
What's the other option? Intercept the vehicle speed data from the CAN bus and filter it to look like it's not moving?

GTPprix
05-20-2009, 04:31 PM
What's the other option? Intercept the vehicle speed data from the CAN bus and filter it to look like it's not moving?

Thats doable, has to be 100% perfect though otherwise you mess up the bus timing and everything in the cabin goes to hell at the same time.

Paniller
05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Yeah, this project is slipping into the "not worth my time" category. If I managed to hack into it and come up with a solution, I'd have to sell a bunch to make up for all the time invested. But the hardware I'd have to sell would probably have to have a microprocessor, CAN reader, etc that would make me have to charge like $100 just to make $20 each. Perhaps the biggest problem is what you mentioned. Without the specs/protocol, I could introduce unseen problems, which I'd hate to spread to others.

68rustang
05-21-2009, 11:57 AM
On the other board the story was that Adrian at No Limit Electronics in Austrailia knew or had contact with one of the OEM programmers that worked on the development of these cars. JHP chimed in stating it wouldn't work with our cars no matter what. NoLimit was banned. NoLimit made some programming changes and sold distribution rights in the US to JHP. NoLimit sells them to JHP, JHP sells them to us. The product is marked up twice and the $250 is right in line with what people in the much larger Aussie market are paying for the same thing.

camoeto
05-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Chris, since you are finished with the Atari Gagues, how about doing this for your next project?

micheal0484
05-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Chris could do it but doesn't want to copy JHP's work because of previous copies of his own. Which is understandable. I guess well need to bribe him... peer pressure is a B.

68rustang
05-27-2009, 08:30 AM
I really wouldn't consider it copying unless he bought the module from JHP. Copied the program and started making his own modules loaded with Adrian's program. If somebody cooked up their own way of doing it, even if it is essentially the same as the JHP module what would make that wrong?

Since we are nominating Chris for projects (lucky him ;) )I would like to see iPod control.

Paniller
05-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Chris could do it but doesn't want to copy JHP's work because of previous copies of his own. Which is understandable. I guess well need to bribe him... peer pressure is a B.
Understood. Without getting the protocol from the manufacturer, the next closest solution is to reverse engineer JHP's work. I would never do such a thing morally, though. I've even gotten shit at work for refusing to reverse engineer competitors' products. I'd rather lose my job than my soul. Some argue it's ethical, but they're full of shit. Hell, competitors have stolen my stuff, and I don't like it.

That's why I have a distaste of wealthy people. You only become weathly through using and hurting others. Or, you can invent something great that sells to the masses, but most great inventions exist already out of necessity.

micheal0484
05-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Since we are nominating Chris for projects (lucky him ;) )I would like to see iPod control.

What kind of control you want? I can do a few things.

68rustang
05-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Basically use the steering wheel "up" "down" "enter" to control the music on the ipod.

Ideally, if it can be figured out use only the HU and steering wheel controls to control the iPod and be able to leave the iPod in the glovebox, console, trunk, whatever.

I think piggybacking on the XM capability might be a way to do this but then what for those of us with '08s.

4 DOR VTT
05-30-2009, 01:17 AM
All I want to do is add a backup camera to the factory Radio, do I have to use the VIM to pull this off or can I simply tap in to the radio with the RCA inputs for the factory screen?
All I want is to see the camera view when the wife puts it in reverse, I have this setup on my Trailblazer SS and want it on the G8.
I'm not sure what this means...
"It will play the first source (iPod, DVD etc) then will go to backup camera whenever the car is put into reverse. It will not force the car into rear aux tho" What is rear aux?