PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light came on today

foreosu
05-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Any way to see what's going on / see the code without taking it in to the dealership? My Onstar subscription expired about a month ago, so that's not an option.

The car is running normal, so I'm not sure what's up. I have no mods.

wreckwriter
05-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Some parts stores will read codes. Try AutoZone or any other bigger one.

-Ray-
05-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Check the gas cap. Then do what Tom said.

confused2much
05-18-2009, 10:08 AM
^^^+1

TomPierce
05-18-2009, 10:11 AM
someone said you could hold down the source button and the DIC would display codes

I cannot verify this but it's worth a shot - it is in the 'thinkgs you like about your g8 thread'

foreosu
05-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys. Advance Auto Parts was able to do this for free. Looks like a gas cap issue (small emisions leak), so I'll be calling the dealership to get a new one.

nugget
05-19-2009, 11:25 AM
The gas cap code goes off on mine sometimes. I just dont twist on it enough i guess because im always in a hurry.
SonyEricssonW580i/R8BE Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0

foreosu
05-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Not sure what the deal is with mine. I've taken it off and retightened it about a hundred times, but it keeps doing it. Time for a new one I guess...

netmand
05-19-2009, 12:14 PM
this must be a common issue.

foreosu
05-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Thought you guys might find this funny - I called the parts department of my local dealership to see if they had a new gas cap in stock. Knowing they wouldn't have one in stock (when I went to get a replacement air filter a few months ago, I was told "The car is just too new" and they didn't have any. This, after I had owned the car for 12 months).

Well, according to the parts guy, GM has officially discontinued the part number for the G8 gas cap. He had to track one down at a dealership in Michigan and is having it shipped down here. So just a heads up on another wonderful GM parts story...

RobA300
05-28-2009, 04:34 AM
Mine keeps coming loose and turns on the CEL. I was worried about the dealer being able to find a new one. I got a free oil change coming so I'll ask them to look at it when I take it in. Thanks for the heads up on the discontinued cap.

-Ray-
05-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Thought you guys might find this funny - I called the parts department of my local dealership to see if they had a new gas cap in stock. Knowing they wouldn't have one in stock (when I went to get a replacement air filter a few months ago, I was told "The car is just too new" and they didn't have any. This, after I had owned the car for 12 months).

Well, according to the parts guy, GM has officially discontinued the part number for the G8 gas cap. He had to track one down at a dealership in Michigan and is having it shipped down here. So just a heads up on another wonderful GM parts story...

I'm sure with the amount of CEL's with the old cap, GM has changed it. I would want the new cap.
Well, I've never had an issue with my current one though.

todds87ss
05-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm sure with the amount of CEL's with the old cap, GM has changed it. I would want the new cap.
Well, I've never had an issue with my current one though.

I had 2 instances of this...rub a little vasoline on the o-ring. Voila! It's been 6 months since my last issue...

EcoBrick Bob
05-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Not sure what the deal is with mine. I've taken it off and retightened it about a hundred times, but it keeps doing it. Time for a new one I guess...

I was having this issue with both of my GT's but for some reason it seems to have corrected itself.

Friend's 04' Vette did it regularly a few years back... Had to have gas cap replaced.

Glad I have a DashHawk so I can reset codes....

Panzer Leader
05-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Guess this is what is going on with mine. Perhaps a big cork would be better.

miamio96
05-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Guess this is what is going on with mine. Perhaps a big cork would be better.

My CEL came on Tuesday, onstar said tighten gas cap and it will go out after 7 to 10 on off cycles. It still hasn't gone off so I went to the dealer today and they said it will take 50 on off cycles to clear and wouldn't check it out. That seemed awfully high to me but I didn't feel like argueing today.