PDA

View Full Version : Too Heavy?

Chocolate
05-15-2009, 02:06 PM
My last ride was an 05 Porsche Carrera 911S Coupe. It had 355 hp and weighed 3100 lbs. It was peppy. My new ride is a 09 G8 GT. 355 hp on reg. gas and around 4000 lbs. I want to reduce some weight, on me and my car. Is anybody making Carbon fiber pieces for our cars?

r33pwrd
05-15-2009, 02:19 PM
HP is easier to add than reducing weight!

SRG963
05-15-2009, 02:45 PM
HP is easier to add than reducing weight!
^What he said

fastg8mi
05-15-2009, 03:48 PM
what is the thing in our spare wheel well? looks like a compressor or something

-Ray-
05-15-2009, 03:53 PM
LOL
Dealer didn't give you a walk around on your car eh?
You have an air compressor and a can of tire sealant in there.
Check out the manual. :)

timg8
05-15-2009, 08:23 PM
They were trying to take care of that weight thing...they could have included a rubber band to put the sealant in...lol

Rawyzf
05-16-2009, 02:31 AM
I thought that was weird that there was no spare too, just the sealant and one time use compressor. If you have a blowout, you're SOL.

Chocolate
05-16-2009, 02:39 AM
So the answer is no carbon fiber bits available?

Rawyzf
05-16-2009, 02:46 AM
Saw a CF dash kit on ebay, but I don't that will help you much.

beach
05-16-2009, 05:18 AM
So the answer is no carbon fiber bits available?

Other than interior trim, no. This isn't "one of those" cars. It's essentially a big sport/luxury sedan that can have anywhere from nice to awesome power, a silky soft ride and crisp handling to bolted on rails tight, etc. More specific to the power, there's very little you could do to reduce the weight in any measurable way unless you started stripping the interior, HVAC, etc.

They respond incredibly to any and all power mods, and to start I'd highly suggest a ECM/TCM tune to liven and sharpen it up in any way--and be more durable than stock, often--a cold air intake setup with your tune, some exhaust play, etc. All of that is pretty basic and will make a dramatic difference. Then there's always supercharging, suspension upgrades, etc. as you see fit in time.

Scott @ INTENSE
05-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Other than interior trim, no. This isn't "one of those" cars. It's essentially a big sport/luxury sedan that can have anywhere from nice to awesome power, a silky soft ride and crisp handling to bolted on rails tight, etc. More specific to the power, there's very little you could do to reduce the weight in any measurable way unless you started stripping the interior, HVAC, etc.

They respond incredibly to any and all power mods, and to start I'd highly suggest a ECM/TCM tune to liven and sharpen it up in any way--and be more durable than stock, often--a cold air intake setup with your tune, some exhaust play, etc. All of that is pretty basic and will make a dramatic difference. Then there's always supercharging, suspension upgrades, etc. as you see fit in time.
Very well said. Horsepower is so easy to find on these cars, that there's just no need for weight reduction. In fact, we're actually shooting for nines in our flagship car, at full weight. ;)

-Ray-
05-16-2009, 07:18 AM
I thought that was weird that there was no spare too, just the sealant and one time use compressor. If you have a blowout, you're SOL.

Pontiac has roadside assistance. There is no jack either you know?

Chocolate
05-16-2009, 09:48 AM
The first Mod on my 2 week old car was Pedders Street ll w/ drop and traction bars. Much better than stock now. Next step is exhaust, tune, air, etc. Weight reduction will come from the nut behind the steering wheel. lol

Rawyzf
05-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Weight reduction will come from the nut behind the steering wheel. lol

That there is funny :)

Rawyzf
05-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Pontiac has roadside assistance. There is no jack either you know?

No jack and a car that weighs 2 tons, were really sol if you get a blowout and roadside assistance is asleep.

r33pwrd
05-16-2009, 11:49 AM
No jack and a car that weighs 2 tons, were really sol if you get a blowout and roadside assistance is asleep.

last time I used roadside assistance I waited road side for 4 hours :(

wyldman
05-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Very well said. Horsepower is so easy to find on these cars, that there's just no need for weight reduction. In fact, we're actually shooting for nines in our flagship car, at full weight. ;)

Showoff.

You know I'm just jealous, right? :worthy:

UGotSmkd
05-16-2009, 02:31 PM
It will be costly to strip this car of weight. With some nice mods, you would probably spend less or the same amount of money and your car would be too fast to justify reducing weight, IMO.

Chocolate
05-17-2009, 01:27 AM
Doesn't Corvette have ceramic brake rotors? They gotta be lighter.

zosoboogie
05-17-2009, 04:24 AM
LOL
Dealer didn't give you a walk around on your car eh?
You have an air compressor and a can of tire sealant in there.
Check out the manual. :)

you got tire sealant!!

norm8332
05-17-2009, 04:37 AM
Porsche what? Add some power and most of them go down with ease. They are fun to mess with now for me.

todds87ss
05-17-2009, 01:44 PM
last time I used roadside assistance I waited road side for 4 hours :(

and they won't tow you home either...:flame: rotten bastards!

Not really a fair comparison between the two cars. For the trade in value of the Porch (sic), you could be in very fast company, indeed!

silver6.0L
05-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Just add a supercharger problem solved.

Rayvan
05-18-2009, 08:32 AM

FWIW, it's not "one time use." The compressor has two hoses; as long as you use the hose that bypasses the goo, you can use the compressor as many times as you wish.

The can of goo is replaceable, if you do choose to use the "goo" hose.

Rawyzf
05-18-2009, 08:33 AM
FWIW, it's not "one time use." The compressor has two hoses; as long as you use the hose that bypasses the goo, you can use the compressor as many times as you wish.

The can of goo is replaceable, if you do choose to use the "goo" hose.

Good to know :). Hope I never need it.

Larry GT
05-20-2009, 02:37 PM
The only "weight" message I got from a mechanic was regarding power seats being very heavy...