PDA

View Full Version : Camaro wheels on G8?

netmand
05-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Has anyone contemplated putting the new Camaro wheels on their G8?

I did a little searching found the wheel sizes and weights:
20x8(front) = 30lbs 13.7kg
20x9(rear) = 31.96lbs 14.5 kg

tire weights 245/45/20 .. 275/40/20
.................. 31lbs ...... . 35lbs

I haven't found the offset yet but maybe someone has already tried it... and can share their experiences?

Slizzo
05-18-2009, 01:18 PM

I haven't found the offset yet but maybe someone has already tried it... and can share their experiences?

They SHOULD work, both cars are Zeta platform cars... Others will know more though.

Ktlplxm
05-18-2009, 04:19 PM
The platforms are the same in name only. The camaro is on a modified zeta platform, most of the modification was on the suspension placement

JTG8GT
06-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Anybody have any more info on this. I would love to know if the 20s from the SS would fit, as they are starting to show up alot on Ebay, I think they look great. Please somebody try these.... : O

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-20-Camaro-SS-RS-FACTORY-OEM-WHEELS-AND-TIRES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a16Q7c66Q3a4 Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3 a200QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem518a66d82 3QQitemZ350214346787QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPa rtsQ5fAccessories

Slizzo
06-20-2009, 03:03 PM
20" X 8" FRONT 35MM OFFSET AND THE REAR ARE 20" X 9" 40MM OFFSET

Looks like with those offsets you may get some rubbing if you're lowered?

Not sure but I think it would be close, we want more of a +45 offset I believe.

p71
06-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Those will fit.

Enough said.

JTG8GT
07-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Still waiting for somebody to test fit these. Anybody ever see a picture of them on a G8?

Ktlplxm
07-03-2009, 01:10 PM
How about, instead of waiting on everyone else to do the trial and error fitments, using our time and money, some of you so curious to know if they'll work, try it yourselves? ,

Just a thought

After all, we're ALL supposed to "contribute" here, not just the few of us willing to take the time to do the work

JTG8GT
07-06-2009, 07:16 AM
I guess I was hoping there might be someone out there that had access to a set, maybe somebody that works at a shop where there may be the Camaro wheels laying around. If I had access to a set I would for sure go through the effort of test fitting them. But buying them off of Ebay, getting them shipped and then test fitting, to take a chance that I would have to put them back up on Ebay, hope I can recover my money and ship them back out is too much.
I know I only have a few posts here, but I have contributed quite a bit on the other site.

JTNTSFR

Jeff

G8GXP4now
07-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Why doesn't the wheel/tire vendor (tirerack) step up to the plate and answer the OP question?

They outta know wheel compatibility.

wreckwriter
07-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Why doesn't the wheel/tire vendor (tirerack) step up to the plate and answer the OP question?

They outta know wheel compatibility.

They don't have a posting representative here.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
07-06-2009, 10:38 AM
I did a wheel search for the Camaro on Tire Rack's website and only 3 wheels came up. Then I did a 20" wheel search for the G8 and none of those 3 wheels that fit the Camaro showed up in the search, so according to Tire Rack the Camaro wheels probably won't fit the G8.

Ktlplxm
07-07-2009, 05:08 AM
I guess I was hoping there might be someone out there that had access to a set, maybe somebody that works at a shop where there may be the Camaro wheels laying around. If I had access to a set I would for sure go through the effort of test fitting them. But buying them off of Ebay, getting them shipped and then test fitting, to take a chance that I would have to put them back up on Ebay, hope I can recover my money and ship them back out is too much.
I know I only have a few posts here, but I have contributed quite a bit on the other site.

JTNTSFR

Jeff

Yet that is exactly what the rest of us have done in the past. Its how we all found that the GXP brake set up wouldn't work on most people's GTs, or what wheel widths and offset combo's will work. Discount tire and Tire Rack don't actually go and test fit all the wheels; they look at the specs and say that they "should" fit, and even then it isn't guaranteed. If some one wants to know for sure they'll have to get at least one wheel and try it.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
07-07-2009, 05:39 AM
Tire Rack might not actually test fit wheels, but they use a sophisticated process using CAD programs to ensure that they do fit.

Wheels come in all different styles, sizes, bolt patterns and offsets. So how do we know which wheels will fit your vehicle? We can only do this by first knowing your vehicle inside and out. Measuring your vehicle's critical components with sophisticated electronic tools allows our fitment engineers to create extremely accurate drawings of these parts. We do the same for the wheels that we offer and then use Computer Aided Design (CAD) programs to match the wheels to the vehicles. Using these electronic tools we verify numerous different critical areas before a wheel can be listed for a vehicle.

Ktlplxm
07-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Tire Rack might not actually test fit wheels, but they use a sophisticated process using CAD programs to ensure that they do fit.

Wheels come in all different styles, sizes, bolt patterns and offsets. So how do we know which wheels will fit your vehicle? We can only do this by first knowing your vehicle inside and out. Measuring your vehicle's critical components with sophisticated electronic tools allows our fitment engineers to create extremely accurate drawings of these parts. We do the same for the wheels that we offer and then use Computer Aided Design (CAD) programs to match the wheels to the vehicles. Using these electronic tools we verify numerous different critical areas before a wheel can be listed for a vehicle.

A process which still is not accurate all of the time. Hence them claiming a 19x10.5 w a 35mm offset "fits" a G8. Yeah it fits, and only 3/4"-1" stick outside the fender lol. They ensure that the wheels will "bolt on" to the car w/no issues, "fitting" is completely different. Furthermore, every vehicle couldn't possibly be tested... they'd never have time to do everything else; lets not forget the first few months of the GXP, and the number of wheels sold that had to returned when the brakes would not clear... I wonder what their CAD programs said then?? hahaha

Dr. Dana Miller
07-24-2009, 07:02 AM

O.K.....I now have an answer to the question.." Will 2010 Camaro wheels fit a G8?".....The answer is yes and no....I purchased a new set of wheels/tires on EBay off of a brand new Camaro with no miles on them. Here's the deal..........the rear wheels/tires will bolt on and fit on a G8 that is NOT lowered, but will still require the fender lips to be rolled up. At that point it works but with minimal clearance. If the car is loaded very heavy in the back such as with passengers and luggage there will probably still be a pontential contact issue with cornering. It's that close, but under certain circumstances it can work. Now...to the front.....it just ain't gonna' work. With the car up on the floor jack the wheel bolts on O.K. but there is only about 1/8 inch clearance between the tire and the spring/strut perch. It is such that the car can't even be put on the ground without either damaging the perch and/or the tire. Tried spacing the wheel out enough to clear the perch and there are no longer any threads on the wheel studs showing to engage the lug nut. Even if you could attach the wheel and let the car down at that point it appears that there isn't enough clearance in the inner fender to allow the wheels to turn properly without contact, and this isn't even taking in account body movement with cornering. Even though the wheels look really good on the car ( even on a floor jack ), it just doesn't work due to the improper off-set and back spacing. Changing tire size with these wheels isn't going to help enough to make this swap work . I now have a set of these wheels and tires with basically no miles on them, for sale at a very reasonable price for someone with a 'Vette or 2010 Camaro. These are the RS version of the wheels which are factory painted a beautiful shade of dark gray metallic. If interested PM me.

Dr. Dana Miller
07-24-2009, 07:15 AM
O.K.....I now have an answer to the question.." Will 2010 Camaro wheels fit a G8?".....The answer is yes and no....I purchased a new set of wheels/tires on EBay off of a brand new Camaro with no miles on them. Here's the deal..........the rear wheels/tires will bolt on and fit on a G8 that is NOT lowered, but will still require the fender lips to be rolled up. At that point it works but with minimal clearance. If the car is loaded very heavy in the back such as with passengers and luggage there will probably still be a pontential contact issue with cornering. It's that close, but under certain circumstances it can work. Now...to the front.....it just ain't gonna' work. With the car up on the floor jack the wheel bolts on O.K. but there is only about 1/8 inch clearance between the tire and the spring/strut perch. It is such that the car can't even be put on the ground without either damaging the perch and/or the tire. Tried spacing the wheel out enough to clear the perch and there are no longer any threads on the wheel studs showing to engage the lug nut. Even if you could attach the wheel and let the car down at that point it appears that there isn't enough clearance in the inner fender to allow the wheels to turn properly without contact, and this isn't even taking in account body movement with cornering. Even though the wheels look really good on the car ( even on a floor jack ), it just doesn't work due to the improper off-set and back spacing. Changing tire size with these wheels isn't going to help enough to make this swap work . I now have a set of these wheels and tires with basically no miles on them, for sale at a very reasonable price for someone with a 'Vette or 2010 Camaro. These are the RS version of the wheels which are factory painted a beautiful shade of dark gray metallic. If interested PM me.

I forgot to post the weights of these wheels/tires. The stock 18 inch wheel/tire combination weighs 53.4 lbs. The front 20 inch Camaro wheel/tire weighs 64.3 lbs. The rear 20 inch Camaro wheel/tire weighs 69.0 lbs. I weighed these things on an accurate digital scale. These things are very heavy. Surprisingly so.

GeoffA
07-24-2009, 07:15 AM

That suck's, I'm sure you'll be able to sell them, try selling them as full size spares, one front one rear of course.

locrzn#92
07-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Its the tires that won't work, if the camaro comes with a 245/45 on the front and 275/40 on the rear, thats way to much tire for these cars. I have 275/35 and 255/35's. I you had that tire combo on the car it would work fine. The stock height tire for the g8 is 26.7
and the height of the camaro is almost 28.7. (2"s) They aren't going to fit for sure, put the same tires that I have on my g8 and everything should be fine. Mine on the front are 27.1 and rear 27.5. You could probably sell the tires without a problem. Just find a tire store in your area that does custom wheels/tires and you might even be able to get a trade in on the camaro tires since they are brand new. My rear wheel/tire is about 62 lbs, front is less of course, thats a pretty heavy tire combo on the camaro and thats one reason why they don't run as they should, 69 lbs is a shit load to start moving.

GeoffA
07-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Its the tires that won't work, if the camaro comes with a 245/45 on the front and 275/40 on the rear, thats way to much tire for these cars. I have 275/35 and 255/35's. I you had that tire combo on the car it would work fine. The stock height tire for the g8 is 26.7
and the height of the camaro is almost 28.7. (2"s) They aren't going to fit for sure, put the same tires that I have on my g8 and everything should be fine. Mine on the front are 27.1 and rear 27.5. You could probably sell the tires without a problem. Just find a tires store in your area and you might even be able to get a trade in on the camaro tires since they are brand new.

Do that, keep the wheels and sell the tires. But I thought he said the offset was off too...