PDA

View Full Version : 228/240 non dod cam

Blackdevil77
09-06-2008, 02:10 PM
How does the 228/240 cam affect engine life/reliability? Almost everyone I talked to about doing this to my car tells me to stick with bolt-on's, the car will break down, if you do that you gotta go all the way, once you start changing engine parts, things go bad etc etc... What's your guys take on this?

GeorgeInNePa
09-06-2008, 03:24 PM
How does the 228/240 cam affect engine life/reliability? Almost everyone I talked to about doing this to my car tells me to stick with bolt-on's, the car will break down, if you do that you gotta go all the way, once you start changing engine parts, things go bad etc etc... What's your guys take on this?

Anything is possible.

Probable? No, but it is possible.

Hell, it's possible for the engine to come apart right now.

Blackdevil77
09-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Thats true. So would you say the upgraded cam would increase the possibility of breakdowns or problems?

GeorgeInNePa
09-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Thats true. So would you say the upgraded cam would increase the possibility of breakdowns or problems?

You are going to make more power and you are going to spin the motor a bit higher.

ANY changes could lead to a failure. As I said, it's possible, but not probable.

Also, changing the cam could, could, lead to warranty issues. If you break a valve and muck up the bottom end, expect GM to say 'too bad'.

If you are making 425 at the wheels and break the rear, expect GM to say "too bad".

Will these things happen? Maybe, maybe not.

:angeldevil:

What level of risk are you prepared to take?

;)

Blackdevil77
09-06-2008, 05:39 PM
You are going to make more power and you are going to spin the motor a bit higher.

ANY changes could lead to a failure. As I said, it's possible, but not probable.

Also, changing the cam could, could, lead to warranty issues. If you break a valve and muck up the bottom end, expect GM to say 'too bad'.

If you are making 425 at the wheels and break the rear, expect GM to say "too bad".

Will these things happen? Maybe, maybe not.

:angeldevil:

What level of risk are you prepared to take?

;)

That's hard to say. I've been warned by many gear heads and local car nuts to stick with bolt ons unless i wanna go all the way. I need a like a number like, about an 88 % probability that nothing is going to go wrong lol. I'm iffy I guess i gotta hear more from people who have done it and see what happens in the long term. Does it really add that much power??? (425 rwhp)

GeorgeInNePa
09-06-2008, 06:19 PM
That's hard to say. I've been warned by many gear heads and local car nuts to stick with bolt ons unless i wanna go all the way. I need a like a number like, about an 88 % probability that nothing is going to go wrong lol. I'm iffy I guess i gotta hear more from people who have done it and see what happens in the long term. Does it really add that much power??? (425 rwhp)

Welcome to fast cars. No one can give you a number, that's my point. Perfectly good parts can fail. Shit happens. You just might be the 1 in 10,000. Understand?

I know what you want, here it is:

Do the cam, you'll be fine.

That better? ;) Because that and $1.50 gets you a cup of coffee.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Blackdevil77
09-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Welcome to fast cars. No one can give you a number, that's my point. Perfectly good parts can fail. Shit happens. You just might be the 1 in 10,000. Understand?

That is what I want thanks. I'll take that with a side of coffe please.
OH I almost forgot! Can you throw in some of these :boobs: LMAO!!!
Actually was just lookin' for more input on what i was told about playing with engine parts. Just like to be sure and get as much input as possible is all.

GeorgeInNePa
09-06-2008, 06:29 PM

ETA:

Let me tell you a story.

My old man is into drag racing. We had just finished a new car for him. '69 Camaro 396/375hp 4speed car. NHRA Stock Eliminator B/Stock.

On it's 10th pass, the oil pick-up tube came off the oil pump and the motor came apart in the lights. Luckily our engine builder has integrity, he built a new one for us.

While that was being built, he didn't want to miss any races, so he took the old car, what was supposed to be mine. '88 Olds Cutlass, 307 Olds, L/Stock Automatic. The motor was tired, way too many runs on it, it needed to be freshened.

Can you see where I'm going with this?

We THINK a rod bolt failed, but we're not sure because the mess he brought home was incredible. The crank was broken into 4 pieces, the cam was broken in half. 2 of the mains were broken out of the block. The block had a window in each side at the oil pan rail. Every rod was bent and I mean L-shaped. The motor broke the bell housing off of the Turbo 350 trans!

8 to 9K gone, just like that. Shit happens.

Blackdevil77
09-06-2008, 06:37 PM
ETA:

Let me tell you a story.

My old man is into drag racing. We had just finished a new car for him. '69 Camaro 396/375hp 4speed car. NHRA Stock Eliminator B/Stock.

On it's 10th pass, the oil pick-up tube came off the oil pump and the motor came apart in the lights. Luckily our engine builder has integrity, he built a new one for us.

While that was being built, he didn't want to miss any races, so he took the old car, what was supposed to be mine. '88 Olds Cutlass, 307 Olds, L/Stock Automatic. The motor was tired, way too many runs on it, it needed to be freshened.

Can you see where I'm going with this?

We THINK a rod bolt failed, but we're not sure because the mess he brought home was incredible. The crank was broken into 4 pieces, the cam was broken in half. 2 of the mains were broken out of the block. The block had a window in each side at the oil pan rail. Every rod was bent and I mean L-shaped. The motor broke the bell housing off of the Turbo 350 trans!

8 to 9K gone, just like that. Shit happens.

yes i see shit does happen. ok, on second thought, i may stay away from it. If something like that happens, ( I know it can happen whether or not i get the cam cuz anything is possible) I will be left without a car cuz i don't have the money to fix it. I basically save until i have enough for something, then get it. Something goes wrong that i have to paid for, I'm screwed.

MANOFSTEEL69
09-07-2008, 06:21 AM
Also keep in mind that it's important to know the shop you are dealing with. I know Mike at New Era will stand 100% behind his work. I had no fear in him taking my car down to the block and back again. If you're gonna be worried about what the cam can do to your engine, don't make any changes, and you might as well be afraid of some possible random plug in tune. A mistake by a tuner could cost you your motor as easily as a bad cam job. If you're afraid of the consequences.....Leave it stock. Because there's also the possibility of your dealer saying warranty denied on any changes you make from stock. (Better to ask first)

GT-610
09-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Because that and $1.50 gets you a cup of coffee

LOL you kill me, George!