PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a G8 GT

1st timer
05-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Are there any recalls on the 08s or anything major i should know about?
I've been looking for a back wheel drive car for some time now and i think i finally found one.

-Ray-
05-15-2009, 02:17 AM
Buy it!

MANOFSTEEL69
05-15-2009, 03:47 AM
Welcome! The only real concerns is that the trans has the latest update from the dealer and you're good to go. Buy, put right foot on pedal, press, and enjoy! :)

68rustang
05-15-2009, 04:56 AM
...back wheel drive car ...

That's one I've never heard before.

piecesparts
05-15-2009, 06:25 AM
I had a 95 Impala SS and traded for the G8----I should have done it sooner. Only comment YEEEEHAAAWWWW

1st timer
05-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Going to the dealer today to see if they have an 08 lying around:woohoo:

Greg@PacePerformance
05-15-2009, 08:11 AM
Unless you are looking for a used one I think the '09s have better deals on them.

-Ray-
05-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Going to the dealer today to see if they have an 08 lying around:woohoo:

'08's don't lay around. They are waiting to pounce.

55belairgasser
05-15-2009, 02:12 PM
I had a 95 Impala SS and traded for the G8----I should have done it sooner. Only comment YEEEEHAAAWWWW

I have a 96 and I am looking to trade it in on a GXP. I hope I can pull it off in the next week or two. I really need to row the gears again!!! Wish me luck -Lance

1st timer
05-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Just came back from the dealer!!! I asked for an 08 he told me they don't exist!!
I guess they were not offered here in Canada. He had an 09 GT base model lying around and i took it for a drive. Upon start up blue smoke came out the exhaust. I told the sales guy blue smoke was coming out and he told me it's because it hadn't been started for a while. I'm assuming it's been getting :spank:!!!
So as i was driving i decided to give it some gas to see how it accelerates.
It has problems there,very impressed.When i pressed on the brakes to slow down,the steering wheel was shaking,someone has been hard on the brakes!!!!
Clunking coming from behind..... I have a question. Why is there a delay in the shifts???

Dr. Dana Miller
05-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Just came back from the dealer!!! I asked for an 08 he told me they don't exist!!
I guess they were not offered here in Canada. He had an 09 GT base model lying around and i took it for a drive. Upon start up blue smoke came out the exhaust. I told the sales guy blue smoke was coming out and he told me it's because it hadn't been started for a while. I'm assuming it's been getting :spank:!!!
So as i was driving i decided to give it some gas to see how it accelerates.
It has problems there,very impressed.When i pressed on the brakes to slow down,the steering wheel was shaking,someone has been hard on the brakes!!!!
Clunking coming from behind..... I have a question. Why is there a delay in the shifts???

Original factory calibration is certainly less than optimal in these transmissions. There is an update calibration available from the dealer which helps with this, but a proper ECM/TCM tune from one of the supporting vendors on this forum will really wake up both the trans. and motor. Don't let your experience with your first test drive in any way discourage you from buying a G8 GT. The one you drove was merely a poor example.

1st timer
05-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Original factory calibration is certainly less than optimal in these transmissions. There is an update calibration available from the dealer which helps with this, but a proper ECM/TCM tune from one of the supporting vendors on this forum will really wake up both the trans. and motor. Don't let your experience with your first test drive in any way discourage you from buying a G8 GT. The one you drove was merely a poor example.

And the blue smoke coming from the exhaust??

Bhuge
05-15-2009, 07:31 PM
If I recall correctly blue smoke is from oil getting into the cylinder area and burning off with the gas. But I could be AFU.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
05-15-2009, 07:32 PM
That's usually from oil seeping into the combustion chamber while it's been sitting for a while. If it went away after the motor was idling for a couple minutes it'll be fine.

The brake rotors probably had rust on them from sitting for a while and that will cause the steering wheel to shake. Both of these issues are covered under the factory warranty so if they persist they will fix them for free.

You're never gonna find a perfect used car. I had mine at the dealer last week to have some thing repaired that I found after I drove my used car for a few months.

timg8
05-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Was this a new 09 or used 09. The blue smoke wouldn't bother me if it cleared up pretty quickly. The shimmy in the front while braking hard probably wouldn't be a concern either as long as the car came with full warranty

1st timer
05-16-2009, 05:26 AM
This was a new 09

01350ta
05-17-2009, 06:54 PM
If i had the $ , i would go for it. Cant wait to get one.