PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Speakers

Panzer Leader
05-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Thinking of replacing stock speakers only. Not replacing or adding amp or doing any other changes. What would be the best speakers to change out, ALL or SOME and what would be the best brands to change to. Thanks much.

GT-610
05-14-2009, 05:05 PM
all four doors for sure.I did polk 2 ways all around.VERY happy.
Infinity's have also gotten great reviews from the boards.

dandragonrage
05-14-2009, 05:34 PM
If you don't often have passengers in the rear and/or don't care about them getting music from back there then you can just replace the fronts and run the fade most or all the way forward. Up to you.

GT-610
05-14-2009, 06:22 PM
not going to matter.fader doesnt completely remove sound from other two speakers in the g8,and anyway it wont make the other two any louder,they are amplified seperately
get all four so there is no distortion when you crank it up!

Mike P
05-14-2009, 06:22 PM
all four doors for sure.I did polk 2 ways all around.VERY happy.
Infinity's have also gotten great reviews from the boards.

Which model Polk 2 ways? I want to do this, the factory speakers kind stink. :(

Mike P
05-14-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm thinking they are the Polk db651 speakers........

They look pretty sweet.... :)

Panzer Leader
05-15-2009, 05:27 AM
What about the center dash speaker. Right now the subwoofers are fine for me. The center speaker IMO is crap and the tweeters are weak. Any comments on these?

dandragonrage
05-15-2009, 05:31 AM
What size is it?

GT-610
05-15-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm thinking they are the Polk db651 speakers........

They look pretty sweet.... :)

yes,thats them!

Panzer Leader
05-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Out of couriosity(sp) what are the current speakers in the front/rear doors? 2 Way? Paper Cones?

GT-610
05-28-2009, 07:05 PM
alpine paper crap
singles up front,2 way in rears

Mike P
05-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Out of couriosity(sp) what are the current speakers in the front/rear doors? 2 Way? Paper Cones?

AC Delco paper cones...... :puke:

Mike P
05-28-2009, 07:07 PM
alpine paper crap
singles up front,2 way in rears

(oops, my bad)......

Mike P
05-28-2009, 08:13 PM
I think I found my 6.5" replacement speakers for the front and rear doors. How do the specs on these look? They are Infinity Reference 6022si 6-1/2" 2-Ways (2 Ohms)....

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=8216

One other important question:

Since the replacement Infinity speakers will still be 2 ohms (like the stock speakers), can I just leave the center channel speaker hooked up & the dash tweeters?

Panzer Leader
05-29-2009, 03:13 AM
Mike P, I think so. These are the speakers that Best Buy recommended because they are 2 ohm. Don't think that the Polk speakers are, I think they are 4 ohm.

GR8 Vino
05-29-2009, 04:42 AM
Since the replacement Infinity speakers will still be 2 ohms (like the stock speakers), can I just leave the center channel speaker hooked up & the dash tweeters?

I installed the Infinity Kappa 6.5" 3 ways 63.9I in front doors and the Kappa 6.5" two ways 62.9I in back doors and changed the center speaker to an Infinity 3 1/2" 2 way 32.9cf. I left the tweeters alone. With these speakers you will get plenty of high notes and don't need to change tweeters. The reference are good speakers but for $15-20 more you can get the Kappa which is much better speakers. Sound is unbelievable for $200 change out. Make sure you do your factory amp mod by turning up the gain. This will really maximize these speakers. You can get the same speakers I got, on Ebay brand new $93 for 3 ways and $75 for 2 ways, center channel comes as a pair and I bought 1 from another installer for $25. Believe me you can't go wrong. Check out the Infinity web site to compare the Reference and Kappa to see for your self, then buy on Ebay not a stereo shop.

...[/QUOTE]

Mike P
05-29-2009, 07:20 AM
GR8 Vino:

The Infinity Kappas are 4 ohm & the Infinity References are 2 ohm. Wouldn't I get better usage / maximize speaker capacity by using the 2 ohm References vs. the 4 ohm Kappas?

I definitely have already done the gain mod. I didn't know the gain mod helped the door speakers too. (I thought it only helped the 8" subs). Good information to know. I've got my gain at 100%.

I installed the Infinity Kappa 6.5" 3 ways 63.9I in front doors and the Kappa 6.5" two ways 62.9I in back doors and changed the center speaker to an Infinity 3 1/2" 2 way 32.9cf. I left the tweeters alone. With these speakers you will get plenty of high notes and don't need to change tweeters. The reference are good speakers but for $15-20 more you can get the Kappa which is much better speakers. Sound is unbelievable for $200 change out. Make sure you do your factory amp mod by turning up the gain. This will really maximize these speakers. You can get the same speakers I got, on Ebay brand new $93 for 3 ways and $75 for 2 ways, center channel comes as a pair and I bought 1 from another installer for $25. Believe me you can't go wrong. Check out the Infinity web site to compare the Reference and Kappa to see for your self, then buy on Ebay not a stereo shop.

dandragonrage
05-29-2009, 08:25 AM
They have both. I am not a big fan of Infinity speakers and would sooner go for 4 ohm speakers from a better brand. But if you like the Infinity sound then go for it.

2QUIK4U
05-29-2009, 11:02 AM
I went with the Infinity Kappa 62.9 speakers in the front and rear of mine and they sound way better than the stock speakers. They are 2 ohm as well not 4 ohm. I replaced the subs with the kicker comp shallow mount subs but the factory amp doesnt have nearly enough power to push them so a new amp is next on my list of stereo upgrades.

dandragonrage
05-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Oof. Wish you'd asked what subs to go with first. Every time someone buys a Kicker sub, a little part of me dies.

Mike P
05-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Oof. Wish you'd asked what subs to go with first. Every time someone buys a Kicker sub, a little part of me dies.

If I wanted to just do replacement subs for the factory 8" what should I go with?

- Pioneer shallow mounts?
- Kicker CVR8's?

dltv
05-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Are the Polk db651 direct replacements no need to worry about install?

zosoboogie
05-29-2009, 04:44 PM
replaced with hertz had to add an amp and a JL audio Sub and an amp for that

gagecalman
05-29-2009, 05:00 PM
I went with the Infinity Kappa 62.9 speakers in the front and rear of mine and they sound way better than the stock speakers. They are 2 ohm as well not 4 ohm. I replaced the subs with the kicker comp shallow mount subs but the factory amp doesnt have nearly enough power to push them so a new amp is next on my list of stereo upgrades.

Did you have any problems mounting these? According to the Crutchfield site they do not fit. Did you do anything with the front speaker? Thanks

GR8 Vino
05-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Using the brackets that came with the speakers and mounting to factory door mounts just took drilling a couple holes and attaching. I added Raamatt sound deadener to inside door panels and all around factory speaker mounts also and that really helped with mid bass. Had absolutely no problem with install. The Kappa have a 3db adjustment to tone down higher notes and have attached crossovers. For the money and ease of install, without going with separates, Infinity has great sound. If you want to spend $600-1000+ and add other amps and separates then yes there are better speakers out there. But for a $200 spend compared to factory sound, they can't be beat, IMO. Everyone has there own likes and dislikes, that's why there are so many different speakers available.

gagecalman
05-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks. Did you do anything with the 3-1/2" front speaker or front tweeters?

GR8 Vino
05-29-2009, 06:01 PM

What subs do you prefer?

One of my play around weekend cars is a Black custom '81 twin turbo RX-7 with a pair of Rockford Fosgate Pro 10's in a custom box, with a Fosgate 750 watt amp powering the system. So I know what tight ground pounding, window flexing bass sounds and feels like. I have separates with mid bass, mid range and tweeter in front doors and back towers. I have a custom center channel with mids and tweeters in the corners. This was a custom install and a show car a few years ago when I had the time to play around. It is pretty easy to spend $6000-7000 for highend. My G8 is my DD and business car, for a minimal spend the system sounds pretty decent. My point is you can spend as much as you want for great rock concert sound or very minimal for decent good sound.

Panzer Leader
05-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Went with four (4) Infiniti Kappa 62.9i in all doors. Thanks for info on the center speaker. When you talk about adjusting the amp gain are you talking about the sub woofer amp by the battery or other(s)? BTW the Infinity Speakers are 2 ohm impedence (On back of box under tech specs) HOWEVER, on the front of box also have 4 ohm anotated. (???) Biggest problem at this point is that the Center Speaker is overpowering everything. Any ideas? Got the Infinitys at Best Buy on sale. I also looked at the Kenwood 2 ohm door speakers.

GR8 Vino
05-29-2009, 06:08 PM
I left the tweeters alone, for the hassel and issues, you won't gain that much IMO. I did change the center channel to a 2 way Infinity Kappa 32.9cf. Remember, I did this for a minimal spend vs sound quality increase over factory sound. It is a substantial increase in sound quality. You can spend as much as you want and keep making the sound better. It is up to you on how far you want to go.

GR8 Vino
05-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Went with four (4) Infiniti Kappa 62.9i in all doors. Thanks for info on the center speaker. When you talk about adjusting the amp gain are you talking about the sub woofer amp by the battery or other(s)? BTW the Infinity Speakers are 2 ohm impedence (On back of box under tech specs) HOWEVER, on the front of box also have 4 ohm anotated. (???) Biggest problem at this point is that the Center Speaker is overpowering everything. Any ideas? Got the Infinitys at Best Buy on sale. I also looked at the Kenwood 2 ohm door speakers.

Fortunately I haven't had the same issue with the Infinity center channel. It has a built in attached crossover also, maybe that is helping to not over power the sides. Did you leave factory center channel? If so, that may be the issue.

Panzer Leader
05-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Fortunately I haven't had the same issue with the Infinity center channel. It has a built in attached crossover also, maybe that is helping to not over power the sides. Did you leave factory center channel? If so, that may be the issue.

Only thing that was done was to replace the four door speakers. Nothing else adjusted. Again, how many amp adjustments are there? I only know of the amp by the battery on the side. Someone else asked, "Does adjusting that amp (the one by the battery) only adjust the subwoofers or does it also adjust the doors? Next question, Is there adjustment for the Center Speaker? If so where? The center speaker in my car has the loudest volume coming through it now. There is sound from the door speakers and the subwoofer. Will try to do the adjustment to the amp by the battery tomorrow.

GR8 Vino
05-30-2009, 07:33 AM
As far as I know there is only the amp for subs in trunk. If you adjust it, then it really helps compliment the other speakers actually making them sound better has better sound fill than the factory sound. I think the big issue is you have,is putting in after market 2 ways with crossovers and that has limited the frequencies going to those speakers for the best sound. But the center channel is still running wide open and is now over powering a bit. I installed Infinity's with crossovers in all 4 doors and center all at once so I have not heard the factory center the way you have it. I'm sure there are some experts on this forum that could give you a couple ways of handling this without spending a bunch of money.

TNTNT
06-02-2009, 08:42 AM
I left the tweeters alone, for the hassel and issues, you won't gain that much IMO. I did change the center channel to a 2 way Infinity Kappa 32.9cf. Remember, I did this for a minimal spend vs sound quality increase over factory sound. It is a substantial increase in sound quality. You can spend as much as you want and keep making the sound better. It is up to you on how far you want to go.

Gr8 Vino-
Did you notice much difference when you changed out the center channel speaker? I have Infinity Kappa 62.9i's in all the doors and was just wondering if it would be worth it to replace the center as well or if it would just be a waste of money.

TNTNT
06-02-2009, 08:43 AM

Panzer,
I replaced my door speakers with the same ones you did and did not do the center channel and I am not having any problems with the center overpowering the other speakers.

1of1828
06-03-2009, 07:24 AM

Any installation issues? Crutchfield says these speakers will not fit our cars.

Thanks!

2QUIK4U
06-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Any installation issues? Crutchfield says these speakers will not fit our cars.

Thanks!

I had to drill new holes in the front to mount them up but they will definately fit.

DallasGT
06-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Are the Polk db651 direct replacements no need to worry about install?

I got the same question... Thanks for all replies...