PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used pre-cut window tint?

avintegrator
05-14-2009, 09:56 AM
I saw several places online that offer pre-cut kits for our cars for $80 or $90 dollars. I 've seen a couple others for $25 but yeah, i don't think so. I can clean the windows well and get the tint lined up right i just wasn't sure about quality of the film. I just like to try and do what i can to save a little money so i can spend it on something else but i don't want to have to end up spending twice, like usual:)

DQGTO
05-14-2009, 10:16 AM
i hear those get bubbles and shit like CRAZY, even if you do them pretty well. But thats just what I heard...could be very wrong lol

G8GT721
05-14-2009, 01:55 PM
im all for doing things yourself to save some money, but if you never done it before take to a pro. just think of how pissed off you will be when it turns purple and there is 1000's of bubbles on your windows all to save 100-150bucks

BSmith
05-16-2009, 03:06 AM
If you are going to do it yourself, make sure they are offering a quality film. For $25 you know you are getting crap.

But, I wouldn't recommend it. I used to make t-shirts and stickers out of vinyl, it's the same machine for the tint. I'd be damn lucky if I could get the area clean enough for the stickers to not have any bumps in them. I couldn't imagine doing a whole window, or 5 of them.

SpeedRacerX
05-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Don't do it. I just tried to do it myself today. Today was to be a great day with the start of my appearance mods. Performance mods later. After my son's baseball game, I thought this would be a great afternoon to tackle two projects. Project 1 went well. I installed polished aluminum mesh grill inserts from Figure Engineering. I think I am the Second G8 GT in the country with them. They look awesome IMO and install was fine. Made a big difference in looks by hiding that honeycomb black grill. I did all 5 - 4 in front and 1 in back. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

Project 2 was the tint. I am so P-O'd you have no idea. I bought the pre-cut tint on eBay. I never installed tint in my life even though I've had it done on 4 or more of my vehicles in years past. Now I know why. Definitely need to know what you're doing. I was all gung-ho and set. Had my solution all set, cleaned the windows, started the first piece and bamm - I should have read the directions more carefully. "When peeling off the tint from it's protective backing, wet it really good with the solution because if you don't and the adhesive side touches itself, it won't come apart." F@$&. Game over. :poof: Need to order a replacement piece or whole new set. It was inexpensive but I realized that it's too delicate and temprimental a job to be done by me - I'm like a bull in a china shop AKA NOT GOOD WITH TINT.

Quality of it looked fine. Could just be me. I can either buy it again and try my luck again or take it to a pro. I WILL be taking it to a tint pro. It will be worth the money.

Good luck...

avintegrator
05-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Kinda what I was thinking! I'm going to have it done in the next couple of weeks, just have to let the pain of some repairs to the wifes car settle a bit.
Thanks all, for talking me out of it your right I would have just ended up spending money twice
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

G8GT721
05-17-2009, 08:58 AM
lol yea some things are just better left for the pros

I did it on the back window in my truck; like SpeedRacerX said you need to soak the shit out of, and if it touches it self you are SOL

BigRob
05-17-2009, 09:53 AM
+ 1 on a pro, 30k for a badass ride, spend the 200 on the tint man!!!