PDA

View Full Version : fitting a 15" subwoofer

fastg8mi
05-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey guys, i have a 15 inch mtx 9500 sub from my last vehicle and i am having problems drawing up boxes that will fit in the trunk.

If your not familiar with this sub its one of the baddest mainstream subs out, it hit 149.00 dB in my last set up and i would like to keep this sub if i can.

Is there anyone out there that has a 15 inch sub in there trunk? if so can i get the dimensions of the box?

thanks

norm8332
05-13-2009, 06:02 PM
You might want to loctight all the bolts in your car first!

Blackdevil77
05-13-2009, 06:09 PM
I think someone put the JL audio W7 in there spare tire well. If you wanna fit it in there that should work. And yes, that sub will melt steel

dandragonrage
05-13-2009, 06:25 PM
It's one of the "baddest" - in sound quality. No thanks!

Fi, RE Audio, JL Audio, Ascendant Audio, Dayton, Soundsplinter, TC Sounds/Audiopulse, etc., for me, please. Also, can I get some more commas? I've just run out of my supply :/

G8GT594
05-13-2009, 06:27 PM
It's one of the "baddest" - in sound quality. No thanks!

Fi, RE Audio, JL Audio, Ascendant Audio, Dayton, Soundsplinter, TC Sounds/Audiopulse, etc., for me, please. Also, can I get some more commas? I've just run out of my supply :/

Did you really just say the 9500 thunder is the "baddest" in SQ? I beg to differ as i have owned 2 15inches in my blazer.

dandragonrage
05-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Well, baddest was a half-joke/exaggeration, using the same word he did. Honestly, though, it's not great for SQ. Not in the league of any of the ones I listed.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mobile-audio/43554-thinkin-9500-a.html

Now, if you and the OP like it, then fine, but I don't want people to get misconceptions that this is even in the running for subwoofers better than just "decent".

bwooten492
05-13-2009, 07:02 PM
i had a cvr 15 in mine. The box was somwhat small for a 15 though. I will ask my buddy that has it now to measure the box for me.
Mozilla/5.0 440x240 Samsung SCH-U940 NetFront/3.4

Vertical
05-15-2009, 04:16 AM
:watch:

fastg8mi
05-15-2009, 04:31 AM
first off i said mainstream, second i never said sq...

my fi btl 18 is what i think is the best sub of them all, but that sub needs a huge box, which i no i cant fit(6-9) cubic feet

nice try dandragon

dandragonrage
05-15-2009, 05:18 AM
I just don't see why "mainstream" matters. Maybe if you needed something immediately and only had a Best Buy or Circuit City (before they went under, obviously) near you, then they weren't TOO bad of a choice. But otherwise....

confused2much
05-15-2009, 05:46 AM
I always loved my MTX subs and amps. I have owned a shit ton of different brands and MTX was prob my favorite. I always thought JL's were over-hyped and over-rated. But to each their own. Good luck with the install, it will sound great!

fastg8mi
05-15-2009, 06:27 AM
dan i own it already, thats why i would like to use it.

thanks confused, ya i agree jl is way over priced, there subs are good though.

majesticix
05-15-2009, 07:08 AM
How well does it handle rapid bass notes (preferably double bass drums)? I heard anything over 12" has a tougher time keeping up. I do enjoy the depth that 15's can provide though....yummy.

dandragonrage
05-15-2009, 07:47 AM
How well does it handle rapid bass notes (preferably double bass drums)? I heard anything over 12" has a tougher time keeping up.

Definitely not true. You can get 18" subwoofers from some companies (pretty much any of the ones I listed before, and there are more) that sound great for music. Making a subwoofer that big requires more thought in the design to get it to sound good, but if the design is done right, they can sound just as good and handle "fast" bass just as well.

fourthmeal
05-15-2009, 01:02 PM
big subs can be "fast", and little subs can be "slow", so let's not go into absolutes.

The feeling of "fast" bass usually comes from proper midbass drivers and their overall blending with the sub. With a sub, all you really need is a driver that plays the signal as clean as possible, something you tend to get when you design the motor with proper Faraday rings and other well-placed and well designed goodies.

You want the MTX subs to sound decent? Build them in a box at .7 Qtc instead of what MTX suggests, and you'll probably have decent response. If the sub prefers to run in a ported box, make the box as big as possible, and tune the port LOW. Then, take your EQ and tune out (cut) the peak naturally created when a ported box sits in a semi-enclosed space. Cabin gain is your friend, but ported boxes don't need it and you should EQ it out.

What else do you want to know?

NDM
05-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Hey guys, i have a 15 inch mtx 9500 sub from my last vehicle and i am having problems drawing up boxes that will fit in the trunk.

If your not familiar with this sub its one of the baddest mainstream subs out, it hit 149.00 dB in my last set up and i would like to keep this sub if i can.

Is there anyone out there that has a 15 inch sub in there trunk? if so can i get the dimensions of the box?

thanks

I could build it for you....

I have a ported 13w7 in mine and could build whatever you want.....

Ever consider the spare area?

see my links for pics of G8's and other stuff I have done...

dandragonrage
05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Who has the fastest bass? (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1147858)

NDM
05-29-2009, 09:25 AM
big subs can be "fast", and little subs can be "slow", so let's not go into absolutes.

The feeling of "fast" bass usually comes from proper midbass drivers and their overall blending with the sub. With a sub, all you really need is a driver that plays the signal as clean as possible, something you tend to get when you design the motor with proper Faraday rings and other well-placed and well designed goodies.

You want the MTX subs to sound decent? Build them in a box at .7 Qtc instead of what MTX suggests, and you'll probably have decent response. If the sub prefers to run in a ported box, make the box as big as possible, and tune the port LOW. Then, take your EQ and tune out (cut) the peak naturally created when a ported box sits in a semi-enclosed space. Cabin gain is your friend, but ported boxes don't need it and you should EQ it out.

What else do you want to know?

The Midbass is the key here....Many people overlook this simple part of their setup.....Good midbass can change your perception of a sub...

IMO the midbass is the most important part of your bass response because it provides the link between the midrange and the sub and make them get along.....