PDA

View Full Version : Oil catch cans- we need these

wreckwriter
09-06-2008, 05:03 AM
One thing that surprised me a bit when my intake was off yesterday is the amount of oil that is being blown through the PCV system. The intake ports were coated with oil, enough to really dirty a previously clean shop rag. While this is apparently normal, it can't be good for performance.

The answer is an oil catch can. These are in common use on GTOs. A local guys makes them for GTOs http://shop.billetprototypes.com/product.sc?categoryId=23&productId=2 and is in the final fitting stages of making them for our cars too. I am hoping that he hurries up and gets these to market for us.

James, if you read this, if you can't get together with Dan let me know and I will make my car available for your fitting needs.

Crazy Paul
09-06-2008, 05:40 AM
I thought I sorted James out about 2 months ago when he was snooping around on an Oz Forum looking for a clue as to how to hook up a catch can on the L76.
Hopefully now it's just the mounting position and hoses he's working on.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76PCV.jpg

wreckwriter
09-06-2008, 05:42 AM
Yes, I believe it's just the mount at this point.

Crazy Paul
09-06-2008, 05:52 AM
If he hasn't already, he should look at drilling and tapping the bottom of the catch can. It must be a P.I.A. removing the can totally to drain it.
I run an AMW with a 90 deg elbow screwed into the base of the can. Off the elbow runs about 2 1/2 feet of 3/8" fuel hose, with one of those old school radiator drain valves on the end. The hose gets tucked away horizontally when driving. Drop the hose vertically down when you want to dump and reach under the front of the car to open the "petcock" valve. No tools required and it takes 1 minute total.

GRRRR8
09-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Thats how mine have always been.

wreckwriter
10-30-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm about ready to give up on James and get one of these from elite.
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/C6Catch_Can.html
Not sure where I'll mount it yet though.

wreckwriter
10-30-2008, 09:03 AM
OK, I think I have this figured out. On the left side front of the engine is a lifting eye. It bolts to the front of the motor behind the power steering reservoir and it has several wire looms attached to it with push-in connectors. Depending on the size of the mounting hole for the can I will do one of a couple things:

1- Piggyback the can mount on the bolt attaching the eye to the engine.
2- Replace the entire eye with the can mount (put the eye back in if I need to lift the motor).
3- Attach the can to one of the holes where the wire looms currently mount with nut and bolt.

That should put the can in a decent location. Will verify when I have the can in hand but seems solid to me.

Mike P
10-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Me too. When I do my cam swap I probably should have this done, don't you think? Because the oil, if any, in the engine intake could be wiped out, right? And then installing a catch can would prevent that for the future?

wreckwriter
10-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Me too. When I do my cam swap I probably should have this done, don't you think? Because the oil, if any, in the engine intake could be wiped out, right? And then installing a catch can would prevent that for the future?

Yup. Trust me, there WILL be oil in your intake. I think the oil that's currently in the intake will flush out over time once the flow is stopped (or at least greatly decreased).

Crazy Paul
10-30-2008, 04:05 PM
OK, I think I have this figured out. On the left side front of the engine is a lifting eye. It bolts to the front of the motor behind the power steering reservoir and it has several wire looms attached to it with push-in connectors. Depending on the size of the mounting hole for the can I will do one of a couple things:

1- Piggyback the can mount on the bolt attaching the eye to the engine.
2- Replace the entire eye with the can mount (put the eye back in if I need to lift the motor).
3- Attach the can to one of the holes where the wire looms currently mount with nut and bolt.

That should put the can in a decent location. Will verify when I have the can in hand but seems solid to me.

Finally someone sees the light !!!!!!
:respect:
Barring some unforseen problem, the drivers side head fitment is the simplest and most elegant solution for all levels of mods on an L76 IMO.
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showpost.php?p=11399&postcount=15

Mike P
10-30-2008, 10:55 PM
We need some companies to source, sell, & install these! :) Hint, hint.... :)

GeorgeInNePa
10-31-2008, 04:34 AM
We need some companies to source, sell, & install these! :) Hint, hint.... :)

There's a link to what you need above. You should be able to install it yourself.

wreckwriter
11-08-2008, 04:50 PM
OK, I have the can, hope to install it tomorrow weather and time permitting. What do you guys think is the best way to connect the can into the PCV system?

1- Cut the stock plastic tube and slide the fuel hose over it and clamp (kinda like transission cooler hoses are often done)
2- Totally remove the plastic tube and directly connect fuel hose to the points where the plastic tube attaches stock

I like #2 much better but I'm afraid the front attachment may be tricky. The plastic tube is going to probably have to be cut off the nipple (appears to be heat formed on) and then what if the hose doesn't fit well enough to seal? It's 3/8 fuel hose btw.

What do you guys think?

GRRRR8
11-08-2008, 05:22 PM

wreckwriter
11-08-2008, 05:51 PM

Yea but I'm screwed if the fuel hose won't fit the nipple. I THINK it will but can't tell for sure without cutting it off.

GRRRR8
11-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Yea but I'm screwed if the fuel hose won't fit the nipple. I THINK it will but can't tell for sure without cutting it off.

Cut what off?

wreckwriter
11-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Cut what off?

The rigid plastic tube that is stock. if you look at the front connection it appears to be put on with heat. Looks like shrunk heat shrink where it attaches at the front of the engine. I need to clear some space to get in closer to it to verify how it attaches.

wreckwriter
11-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I thought I sorted James out about 2 months ago when he was snooping around on an Oz Forum looking for a clue as to how to hook up a catch can on the L76.
Hopefully now it's just the mounting position and hoses he's working on.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76PCV.jpg

Please note that although ours connect in approximately the same place, they do NOT connect in the same way as this pic. The back connector is like this, the front is not.

Mike@NewEra
11-08-2008, 07:26 PM
We are going to start working on one of these specific to the G8 very soon .

Crazy Paul
11-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Please note that although ours connect in approximately the same place, they do NOT connect in the same way as this pic. The back connector is like this, the front is not.

That pic is an original L76 car intake manifold. It's PCV nipple is 3/8" OD.

The PCV connection on an LS3 intake manifold looks like this. I don't have an LS3 intake so I cannot measure it for you.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/LS320valley20cover20breather20port.jpg

The rear drivers side nipple is 3/8" OD.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/R1010431.jpg

Measure the OD of your plastic tube, mine is 0.386" OD......you might struggle to get 3/8" fuel line over that.

Old L76 style tube took 5.7 seconds to remove
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/R1010433_02.jpg

wreckwriter
11-08-2008, 08:01 PM
The connector on the front on my car is not a simple rubber elbow as your pic shows. It looks sorta like the connector on a portable gas tank for a small boat. hopefully when it comes off I will find a nipple. The rear is an elbow, the front is not.

I would love it if I were looking at the wrong thing but I don't believe that's the case. I'm thinking the US version is different from yours.

Crazy Paul
11-08-2008, 08:35 PM
You have an LS3 intake.
This is what the nipple looks like on an LS3 intake.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/LS320valley20cover20breather20port.jpg

If your thermoplastic tube is pushed over that nipple.....before you go cutting it, try:

Boil up some water, put it in a coffee cup, slowly tip a flow of hot water over the end of the thermoplastic tube. Wait 10 seconds and then try to pull it straight towards the side of the car.

Crazy Paul
11-08-2008, 09:24 PM
The connector on the front on my car is not a simple rubber elbow as your pic shows. It looks sorta like the connector on a portable gas tank for a small boat.

Is this what you're looking at ?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/P1010129.jpg

wreckwriter
11-09-2008, 05:38 AM
Maybe. I'll be verifying today, will take a pic.

wreckwriter
11-09-2008, 05:39 AM
You have an LS3 intake.
This is what the nipple looks like on an LS3 intake.

If your thermoplastic tube is pushed over that nipple.....before you go cutting it, try:

Boil up some water, put it in a coffee cup, slowly tip a flow of hot water over the end of the thermoplastic tube. Wait 10 seconds and then try to pull it straight towards the side of the car.

Gotcha. Will do. Thanks.

wreckwriter
11-09-2008, 09:18 AM
I got this installed but it was quite a bitch because the mount point I was planning to use did not work. I'll post a write up and pics later.

wreckwriter
11-09-2008, 09:19 AM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/PerthPurplePenguin/car%20parts/L76/P1010129.jpg

No but it's the same type of connector. Comes off easily and then the nipple is there as you showed. Our connector is like the one pictured rather than just a short piece of hose.

The bolt that holds the pictured item to the head is what I ended up using to mount the can.

BMR Sales
11-11-2008, 06:31 AM
A catch can would be a great help if you guys are having problems with oil in the intake. But like HSV-GTS-300 said if the catch can you get doesnt have a drain, try and put one in it. I had this one on a car of mine a few years ago and the small tube on the side helped with telling me when it was full but it was a pain to unbolt and empty.
http://www.extremepsi.com/store/images/t_18259.jpg

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 06:35 AM
The one I just put on has no sight gauge or drain tube but the bottom screws off leaving the top mounted, takes about 10 seconds to dump it.

Chewy
11-11-2008, 07:20 AM
will take a pic.

:whistle::whistle:

:)

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Yea, I know. Wife is the photographer, she was pissed at me that day because the job took longer than expected. Now I can't seem to get home before dark. Pics will be tomorrow I hope...

BMR Sales
11-11-2008, 07:32 AM
The one I just put on has no sight gauge or drain tube but the bottom screws off leaving the top mounted, takes about 10 seconds to dump it.
Yeah the location of mine was in a less than desirable spot lol

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Yeah the location of mine was in a less than desirable spot lol

Decent mounting is hard to find. Mine is in a good spot but the security of the mount is not the best. I was only able to use one of the two holes in the mount. I used a lockwasher and cranked it down good but will need to watch it over time.

Crazy Paul
11-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Decent mounting is hard to find. Mine is in a good spot but the security of the mount is not the best. I was only able to use one of the two holes in the mount. I used a lockwasher and cranked it down good but will need to watch it over time.

So what was wrong with mounting it on the drivers side ?

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 08:45 AM
So what was wrong with mounting it on the drivers side ?

Interference with the Power Steering reservoir and Roto-Fab filter housing. Either one would have doomed the effort.

edit- I should clarify this: the originally planned mount point ran into trouble with the PS reservoir, specifically the fluid lines. A secondary choice was stopped by the filter housing. I tried literally every bolt on the front of the engine. With the mount I had I believe the choice I made was the only one possible.

Mike P
11-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Tom, BMR, & HSV: Thanks for all the work on this. I really want to do this, so I don't have to worry about all that oil being in the intake.

Definitely interested in the outcome of this mod! :)

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 10:19 AM
OK, here we go. I'll add pictures and neaten this up a bit later:

Installation of Elite Engineering Oil Catch Can on 2008 G8 GT:

The can I bought was designed for the C6 Corvette http://eliteengineeringusa.com/C6Catch_Can.html but I believe their cans are all the same except for the included hardware so any should work as you won't use most of the hardware anyway.

Begin by putting the can together. First unscrew the 2 pieces of the can itself. There is an internal piece in the top of the can which looks like a strainer with little coiled aluminum foilish material inside it. This part comes assembled but not tight. It is recommended you use Blue Loctite and good hand cranking with a rag to attach this piece. The bottom of the can then goes on hand tight only (o-ring seal). A drop of oil rubbed on the o-ring will help things seal.

Next attach the mounting bracket to the can. To get it correct hold the bracket and can in front of you, looking down at the parts. This is kinda hard to explain (final installed pics should make it clear) but the can will be closer to your body and the bracket running out to the right. There are only mounting holes on one side of the can so the proper assembly matters. The can attaches to the bracket with 2 allen-head screws. Again, blue loctite should be used.

Next you need to tighten the fittings on the can. They have teflon tape already on them but are not tight. Tighten the outlet fitting first since it can only point one way. Just wrench it down snugly but don't over tighten it. The inlet fitting is on the top of the can and is an elbow type fitting. You want to end up with this fitting facing the same way as the outlet. If you hold the assembly in the previously poorly described position the fittings will be pointing to your right, the same direction as the bracket points.

OK, now that our can is assembled we're ready to look at putting it on the car.

First we'll remove the factory line. Look at the rear of the driver's side valve cover, you will see a plastic line running into a rubber elbow. Grab the elbow and pull it off the engine. You will now see a straight metal nipple. The elbow should come straight off with light to moderate pulling.

Follow the plastic line up to the passenger side (right) front of the engine next to and below the throttle body. It attaches to the engine with a plastic connector. There are squeeze points on the connector. Squeeze them and pull it straight off revealing a plastic nipple. It will take some wiggling but remove the entire plastic line from under your fuel rails and set it aside, it will not be re-used.

On the right front of the motor, very close to where the plastic line was just removed is a vacuum switch type thing with a red and blue wire connector. This unit (I don't know what it is) attaches to the motor with one bolt, I believe it is 15mm. The bolt is a bit hard to access, I used a 3/8 drive ratchet with a unversal joint and an 8" extension. Remove this bolt but don't pull it out of the vacuum thingie's bracket, just let the whole thing sit there for a minute. Below this unit you will see a ground point where a bunch of wires come together and ground. You may need to loosen this bolt and push the wire loom down to gain a bit of clearance. Be sure to retighten it securely.

OK, on the previously removed bolt you will put the mounting bracket of the can and then a fairly thick split lock washer. When its assembled the order will be engine block-lock washer- can mounting bracket- vacuum thingy. This order is needed to gain clearance on the oil filler cap. A bit of blue locktite on this bolt too. Now carefully (so as not to drop the washer) start the bolt into the motor and hand tighten. Pull the can up on the slotted bracket so you have clearance to unscrew the bottom of it when its mounted and get things level. Now tighten the bolt. Tighten it like you mean it. It's a fairly beefy bolt so I would think it would take a lot to break it. Use your judgment but it needs to be pretty tight as we are holding the can with only one bolt where it's meant to use two.

Next we need to put the hoses on. You need approx 4 feet of 3/8 fuel hose. The can comes with some but not enough for our application. Run a short piece from the plastic nipple on the right front of the motor to the can outlet (the straight fitting). Clamps both ends. Next run a longer piece, routing carefully, from the can inlet (elbow) to the previously exposed nipple on the rear of the left valve cover. Clamp both ends, secure hose with tie-wraps.

Check all bolts for tightness and all hose ends for clamps. Inventory your tools. Start motor and check for leaks.

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 10:21 AM

What is this part called? This is the "vacuum thingy" in my installation post....

R.Penguin
11-11-2008, 10:43 AM
That is just the Holden "Oil injection system". Extra lubrication for when the boys from Oz drink a few pints too many and drive home in 1st gear. :p

Crazy Paul
11-11-2008, 10:57 AM
What is this part called? This is the "vacuum thingy" in my installation post....

thingy = EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve

wreckwriter
11-11-2008, 11:01 AM
thingy = EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve

Thanks!

jamesbiz
11-14-2008, 06:06 AM
I'm about ready to give up on James and get one of these from elite.
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/C6Catch_Can.html
Not sure where I'll mount it yet though.

sorry about that :( . Been caught up lately with the economy and haven't been able to build anything new. Sorry to hear that you had to go somewhere else. I got to the car show right as you were leaving, to bad we didn't get to talk.

wreckwriter
11-14-2008, 06:13 AM
sorry about that :( . Been caught up lately with the economy and haven't been able to build anything new. Sorry to hear that you had to go somewhere else. I got to the car show right as you were leaving, to bad we didn't get to talk.

It's OK James, stuff happens. I'll still be buying some of your caps and such, they're by far the best available.

Chewy
11-14-2008, 06:17 AM
:TTIWWP:

:deadhorse:

wreckwriter
11-14-2008, 06:20 AM

:deadhorse:

Today, I promise. It's generally dark when I get home from work so its difficult.

Chewy
11-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Today, I promise. It's generally dark when I get home from work so its difficult.

I hear ya! Just needed to bust your chops! :ok:

lol

jamesbiz
11-14-2008, 07:24 AM
It's OK James, stuff happens. I'll still be buying some of your caps and such, they're by far the best available.

thank you. Who knows, might even convince you to sell yours and buy mine one day ;)

wreckwriter
11-14-2008, 07:26 AM
thank you. Who knows, might even convince you to sell yours and buy mine one day ;)

Anything is possible. This one was a bitch to mount but I think it turned out very nicely.

wreckwriter
11-14-2008, 02:13 PM
The pics are coming! i'll be posting the install as a new thread in the DIY area.

wreckwriter
11-14-2008, 02:43 PM
OK, install thread is up:

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?p=19096#post19096

jamesbiz
11-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Anything is possible. This one was a bitch to mount but I think it turned out very nicely.

I felt bad that I made you and everyone wait so long, for even pictures. So I had dan give up his saturday and come over. We took a crap load of pictures and I just need to do a write up, but I'm going to post up some of the pics we took. We did the rubber hose, but we also put some wire loom on which turned out not to bad either, so he kept it on. He got the raw aluminum, no anodize. I'd say the install would take roughly 10-20 minutes. Also no drain required, it has plenty of room to twist off and empty out when ever you need.

jamesbiz
11-15-2008, 01:58 PM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1232.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1233.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1238.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1241.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1242.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1251.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1253.jpg

jamesbiz
11-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Finally someone sees the light !!!!!!
:respect:
Barring some unforseen problem, the drivers side head fitment is the simplest and most elegant solution for all levels of mods on an L76 IMO.
http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showpost.php?p=11399&postcount=15

no, not the most elegant and simplest actually ;)

wreckwriter
11-15-2008, 02:12 PM
looks good James!

jamesbiz
11-15-2008, 02:14 PM
looks good James!

thank you :). Dan just stood there gawking at his engine bay the whole time. That spot is almost made for a catch can.

wreckwriter
11-15-2008, 02:16 PM
I believe there's more shiny stuff in there than there was last Friday too, no? Other than the can I mean.

jamesbiz
11-15-2008, 02:17 PM
I believe there's more shiny stuff in there than there was last Friday too, no? Other than the can I mean.

yes sir, Brake cap, P/S cap, Oil cap. Both A/C line caps.

wreckwriter
11-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Also no drain required, it has plenty of room to twist off and empty out when ever you need.

I agree, drain would be pointless on my install also, takes only seconds to unscrew the bottom.

wreckwriter
11-15-2008, 02:23 PM
yes sir, Brake cap, P/S cap, Oil cap. Both A/C line caps.

Thought so. Looking very good. Plan to have all the engraving and such done soon?

On your oil filler cap, is it excatly the same size as stock? If any bigger it won't work for me due to clearance with my can.

Be sure to advertise that your can mount will work with engine covers, my method will not.

jamesbiz
11-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Thought so. Looking very good. Plan to have all the engraving and such done soon?

On your oil filler cap, is it excatly the same size as stock? If any bigger it won't work for me due to clearance with my can.

Be sure to advertise that your can mount will work with engine covers, my method will not.

I'm hoping to sell the catch cans first before I start the G8 specific caps. I need to figure out this market, so that I know what and how much to make. I was thinking of maybe doing a pre order on the cans, and start them off at $15 off for a pre order. What do you think?

The reason it took so long is because I was trying to make a bracket to fit on a completely stock car, but I've had the brackets done for the CAI guys done for awhile. The new brackets I made to clear the stock intake box turned out to long so now I have to fix them, then send them out to anodize.

My oil cap won't fit from the looks of your engine bay.

wreckwriter
11-15-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm hoping to sell the catch cans first before I start the G8 specific caps. I need to figure out this market, so that I know what and how much to make. I was thinking of maybe doing a pre order on the cans, and start them off at $15 off for a pre order. What do you think?

The reason it took so long is because I was trying to make a bracket to fit on a completely stock car, but I've had the brackets done for the CAI guys done for awhile. The new brackets I made to clear the stock intake box turned out to long so now I have to fix them, then send them out to anodize.

My oil cap won't fit from the looks of your engine bay.

Not a fan of pre-orders myself but I understand the need when making small quantities of items. I also know you are trustworthy so I would recommend people do it.

Oil cap not fitting sucks. I gather it's larger diameter than stock?

jamesbiz
11-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Not a fan of pre-orders myself but I understand the need when making small quantities of items. I also know you are trustworthy so I would recommend people do it.

Oil cap not fitting sucks. I gather it's larger diameter than stock?

I don't like pre orders my self either, but it's not something that is necessary for people to do in order to actually get a can. Just anyone that wants $15 off
plus you know me in person, so I can't run away ;)

The oil cap is a little larger diameter but it also has those fins at the top where are even more wide.

wreckwriter
11-15-2008, 03:26 PM
know anyone else that makes pretty oil caps?

SRG963
11-15-2008, 03:50 PM
know anyone else that makes pretty oil caps?

I'm looking for a purty one that says Synthetic Oil Only, or something such as that.

Will any one that fits on the ls2 fit our's?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__GM-CORVETTE-LS2-400HP-SYNTHETIC-CHROME-ENGINE-OIL-CAP_W0QQitemZ250324080196QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q26 Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItem QQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2 50324080196&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

GRRRR8
11-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Order a oil cap off of a Vette that says Mobile 1. I have one on mine.

wreckwriter
11-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Order a oil cap off of a Vette that says Mobile 1. I have one on mine.

But I don't use Mobil 1!

BSmith
11-15-2008, 04:38 PM
What's the price on the catch can?

GeorgeInNePa
11-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Price and delivery time on a catch can, please.

Check or Pay-Pal?

jamesbiz
11-16-2008, 06:40 AM
What's the price on the catch can?

Price and delivery time on a catch can, please.

Check or Pay-Pal?

Price will be $130+ what ever shipping you choose. Pre order will probably $15 off. Delivery time depends on the color you choose. Raw, clear, and black will be first, hopefully in a 1-2 weeks. Other colors will be a little longer. Check OR paypal.

jamesbiz
11-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Here you go guys. If anyone wants to put in a pre order. It's refundable with in the first week if you change your mind, and price will be $15 less until I'm ready to ship them out or decide to stop the sale price. You DO NOT have to put in a pre order to be able to get one, but you will be first in line and of course, you get it cheaper.
http://shop.billetprototypes.com/product.sc?categoryId=10&productId=77

BSmith
11-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Ordered!

jamesbiz
11-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Ordered!

thank you for the order, Yours will be one of the first ones to ship, seeing how you ordered raw. Don't forget to post up about it ;)

dv327
11-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Ordered!!

mjduell2009
11-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Ordered!, Should have got this when I got the caps! Can't wait.

--Mike

BSmith
11-16-2008, 06:18 PM
thank you for the order, Yours will be one of the first ones to ship, seeing how you ordered raw. Don't forget to post up about it ;)

Does this mean I'm getting one of the extra high quality ones? You know, like Nissan gave the magazines with the GTR? :p

My buddy does powder coating for a living, so I'm sure he'll get a hold of it.

GeorgeInNePa
11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Ordered one in Black.

rclinton
11-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Ordered one in Black.

+1

edmanet
11-23-2008, 07:30 PM
I ordered one of these. Just a stupid questions or two ???
-- How fast do you think one of these will fill up ??? Every 3K or 4K miles ??
-- And when you empty it do you toss the oil ???

Sorry I've never had a catch can.

Crazy Paul
11-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Every 5 thousand miles you get about a spoonful of crud.....more the worse condition your engine is in. You should never allow the can to fill right up.

Once you see the crud it collects you'll know to throw said crud away. It's a mix of oil, re-condensed vapours, rubbish.
You wouldn't even put it in your mother in laws lawn mower.

jamesbiz
11-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Every 5 thousand miles you get about a spoonful of crud.....more the worse condition your engine is in. You should never allow the can to fill right up.

Once you see the crud it collects you'll know to throw said crud away. It's a mix of oil, re-condensed vapours, rubbish.
You wouldn't even put it in your mother in laws lawn mower.

The guy I put the first one on got a spoon full in a week, and he barely drives his car hard and it has very few miles on it.

jamesbiz
11-23-2008, 10:50 PM
I ordered one of these. Just a stupid questions or two ???
-- How fast do you think one of these will fill up ??? Every 3K or 4K miles ??
-- And when you empty it do you toss the oil ???

Sorry I've never had a catch can.

Honestly, it's dependent on your car and or driving habits. It's so easy to check it and empty it that there is no reason to wait. Plus you'll like seeing how much it collects which would and saved from going into your engine lol.

-Ray-
11-24-2008, 03:45 AM
I'd check it halfway to your next oil change. It there isn't much in it, I'd empty it every oil change.
I think Wreck will be the 1st to know how often it needs to be emptied.

edmanet
11-24-2008, 09:46 AM
So I'll probably never have to empty mine. I have 900 miles in 5 months.
LMAO

wreckwriter
11-24-2008, 09:48 AM
So far mine has just a bit of oil in it, maybe 1/16" on the bottom.

-Ray-
11-24-2008, 12:00 PM
So I'll probably never have to empty mine. I have 900 miles in 5 months.
LMAO

I have over 17,000 in 6 months.

Chewy
11-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Where are we at with this James?

Just wondering... To lazy to read back.

jamesbiz
11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Where are we at with this James?

Just wondering... To lazy to read back.

I've started the pre order at $15 off. Everything is shutting down from tomorrow till next Monday. I should have the brackets done beginning of next week and should be able to ship out the ones I already have anodized.

jamesbiz
12-09-2008, 03:16 PM
alright guys, :) 2-3 week turn around from ordering the raw metal, to ready and anodized catch cans. Not to bad. Raw is done and will be going out. Some people should have already received tracking info. If not then hold tight. Clear will be ready tomorrow and black in a few more days. No one ordered a color.... so umm lol I guess you guys don't care when those will be done.

Chewy
12-31-2008, 03:01 PM
OK I got mine installed and took pics to help others understand what's going on here with this and how to route it all. Of course I routed it the way I wanted to, but you can do anything you want. I took them with my phone so they aren't the best in the world but you get the point. I will probably cover them at some point and will probably get the rotofab or Pauls coil covers which will hide it all.

Cheers,
Chris

jamesbiz
12-31-2008, 03:30 PM
lol man, you used every last bit of hose that I sent didn't ya?

Chewy
12-31-2008, 03:50 PM
lol man, you used every last bit of hose that I sent didn't ya?

Yep! ALL of it! I thought why cut the stock stuff up when I don't have to?

I'd rather keep stock stock and aftermarket aftermarket.

I then added three more clamps to the kit and am golden! :woohoo:

It's a great kit guys! Well made and goes in VERY easy.

Chris

wreckwriter
12-31-2008, 03:53 PM
That's the way I would have done it too Chris. Did the instructions suggest cutting the stock pipe and clamping the tubing onto it? Never cared for that approach.

Chewy
12-31-2008, 05:12 PM
That's the way I would have done it too Chris. Did the instructions suggest cutting the stock pipe and clamping the tubing onto it? Never cared for that approach.

Instructions? What are those?

If it weren't for this site I would have had to guess which hose was the PCV.

That's why I posted these pics. Pauls pictures helped A LOT!

What's really needed in the kit is pictures of the install. That's all!

Chris

rclinton
01-01-2009, 03:31 AM
Instructions? What are those?

If it weren't for this site I would have had to guess which hose was the PCV.

That's why I posted these pics. Pauls pictures helped A LOT!

What's really needed in the kit is pictures of the install. That's all!

Chris

Oil catch can is a quality product, but I agree, instructions and clamps and maybe a few tie ties would have made it an easier install. BTW I also didn't cut up my OEM hose either (I didn't even consider it, nor did I think that was even implied.)

Chewy
01-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Oil catch can is a quality product, but I agree, instructions and clamps and maybe a few ties would have made it an easier install. BTW I also didn't cut up my OEM hose either (I didn't even consider it, nor did I think that was even implied.)

Because there were no instructions right? lol

Yeah I used 3 ties I think...

I ALWAYS have at least 1 bag of those hanging around.

jamesbiz
01-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Nope, no cutting if the stock anything! I thought I posted my photobucket with instructions lol. But yeah... the clamp thing was an over site on my part. I've been so used to selling the cans for other cars, that when it came down to the first batch of these being shipped out, I over looked it ( even tho my pics clearly show use of a clamp). You only need ONE clamp, for the passengers side of the engine hose. Everything else will stay on nice and snug.

TheTugBoat
01-01-2009, 03:22 PM
got my tracking numberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rclinton
01-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Nope, no cutting if the stock anything! I thought I posted my photobucket with instructions lol. But yeah... the clamp thing was an over site on my part. I've been so used to selling the cans for other cars, that when it came down to the first batch of these being shipped out, I over looked it ( even tho my pics clearly show use of a clamp). You only need ONE clamp, for the passengers side of the engine hose. Everything else will stay on nice and snug.

James,
Dont get me wrong, you provide a quality product, I just had to look at the parts and the engine and check a few posts here and the other board. I think I got spoiled with the Roto-Fab instructions. Thanks again for the can.

wreckwriter
01-01-2009, 04:48 PM
James, you need to get some instructions, at least on your site if not printed. The mark of a quality product and you know it.

jamesbiz
01-01-2009, 06:57 PM
James, you need to get some instructions, at least on your site if not printed. The mark of a quality product and you know it.

yes you are right and I do know it lol. I'm hiring someone to help me out and she will keep me on my game :) you can be sure of that.

G8GTlawride
01-01-2009, 07:07 PM
If there are no clamps from the factory, where are the clamps used with the can? On the can fittings?

jamesbiz
01-01-2009, 07:10 PM
If there are no clamps from the factory, where are the clamps used with the can? On the can fittings?

The factory hoses attach a different way. The fittings on the can have "teeth" on them which will grip the hose just fine. The one on the drivers side head will also hold the hose on just fine. Just not the one going into the intake manifold, as that needs a hose clamp

G8GTlawride
01-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Thank you.

jamesbiz
01-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Thank you.

lol i meant the grips on the fittings will hold the hose on just fine, oops. I'm sure you got it tho.

Chewy
01-02-2009, 10:05 AM
The factory hoses attach a different way. The fittings on the can have "teeth" on them which will grip the hose just fine. The one on the drivers side head will also hold the hose on just fine. Just not the one going into the intake manifold, as that needs a hose clamp

Barbed!

Still like to have the insurance of a clamp.

wreckwriter
01-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Barbed!

Still like to have the insurance of a clamp.

Me too! ALWAYS clamp.

wreckwriter
01-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Any of you guys done your cans with braided hose? I'm getting ready to redo mine with all nice braided hose, aircraft clamps, and fake AN fittings. Just ordered all the stuff from Jegs. Gonna look kick ass I think!

rclinton
01-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Any of you guys done your cans with braided hose? I'm getting ready to redo mine with all nice braided hose, aircraft clamps, and fake AN fittings. Just ordered all the stuff from Jegs. Gonna look kick ass I think!

I was thinking of doing black AN fittings at the can and fake fittings at ther other ends with the black stainless braided hose. Any idea what size AN fittings for the can.

wreckwriter
01-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I was thinking of doing black AN fittings at the can and fake fittings at ther other ends with the black stainless braided hose. Any idea what size AN fittings for the can.

My can is 1/8 NPT, can't be sure Jame's are same though. I'd guess either 1/8 or 1/4.

Chewy
01-02-2009, 01:59 PM
James are 1/4 from the look of it. He did a great job locking them in there too!

jamesbiz
01-02-2009, 02:08 PM
James are 1/4 from the look of it. He did a great job locking them in there too!

..... lol you have fun removing them... I'll send over a :flame:

Chewy
01-02-2009, 03:41 PM
..... lol you have fun removing them... I'll send over a :flame:

Nah! They use the same stuff on high pressure regulators so I knew better.

G8GTlawride
01-02-2009, 04:32 PM
lol i meant the grips on the fittings will hold the hose on just fine, oops. I'm sure you got it tho.

I did. Thank you again. Looking for the mail now!

jonasan50
01-03-2009, 01:46 PM
:ttiwwp:

jamesbiz
01-03-2009, 02:51 PM
:ttiwwp:

say what?

-Ray-
01-03-2009, 03:05 PM
It's a smiley that doesn't work for some reason.

It has to be typed in all caps for it to work.

jamesbiz
01-03-2009, 10:16 PM
ask and you shall receive.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1232.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1233.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1238.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1241.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1242.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1251.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm130/jamesbiz/IMG_1253.jpg

TomPierce
01-04-2009, 04:38 AM
Ordered!

jamesbiz
01-04-2009, 04:45 AM
Ordered!

Clear anodized is an option you have to choose on the site. It's an extra $5 above the raw catch can.

-Ray-
01-04-2009, 04:46 AM
Wheres the Red one?

jamesbiz
01-04-2009, 04:50 AM
Wheres the Red one?
What you mean?

-Ray-
01-04-2009, 04:55 AM
What you mean?

photo's of the Red one I mean. :)

jamesbiz
01-04-2009, 05:01 AM
photo's of the Red one I mean. :)

lol that's what I figured, I was looking for an order that might be yours in case you meant you were waiting for one to arrive .

-Ray-
01-04-2009, 05:24 AM
lol that's what I figured, I was looking for an order that might be yours in case you meant you were waiting for one to arrive .

I'm sorry James, I haven't ordered yet. My G8 is in a disassembled state. I don't plan on it being driven until April. I have too much stuff sitting in boxes now. :(

jamesbiz
01-04-2009, 05:49 AM
I'm sorry James, I haven't ordered yet. My G8 is in a disassembled state. I don't plan on it being driven until April. I have too much stuff sitting in boxes now. :(

lol I didn't mean it like that, no apology necessary .

SRG8
01-04-2009, 09:42 PM
got mine Friday... thanks... Havn't had a chance to install it yet... hopefully sometime this week.

jamesbiz
01-07-2009, 06:24 PM
got mine Friday... thanks... Havn't had a chance to install it yet... hopefully sometime this week.

You're welcome, now get to it ;)

G8GTlawride
01-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Got my RED one as well. Nicely made. When the RED engine covers from Roto-Fab arrive will put both on. Thanks James.

jamesbiz
01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Got some good deals on some scratch, dent, and oopsies for you guys.
http://shop.billetprototypes.com/category.sc?categoryId=44

wreckwriter
01-08-2009, 04:05 AM
Do the 2 fluid caps fit a G9? If so, what's wrong with them?

Chewy
01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Ok guys, so I installed mine 12/31/08 and it's now 01/09/09 and this is what I have in the can so far.

I just cleaned it out actually. I was filling the washer fluid and thought I'd take a look so I took it off. It's a dream to remove and reinstall.

Enjoy the pics! THIS is what's going into your intake if you don't have one of these. Most of it's water actually. Hence the milky look.

Chris

Pics with my phone. Sorry for the quality.

jamesbiz
01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
lol what the hell is in there and where did it come from

99-LS1-SS
01-09-2009, 03:14 PM
LOL! Chris has made his own "catch can".

-Ray-
01-09-2009, 03:29 PM

I think he got it from Toys R us.

G8GTlawride
01-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Installed the RED catch can and the Roto engine covers. It fits there perfect. I did the hoses a little different though. I removed the hard plastic PVC pipe from the factory fitting on the intake. I had to cut if off the nipple as the plastic was just too hard. Even with soaking in boiling water, it would not soften enough to pull or pry off. I attached the hose to that nipple. This allows a 90* bend up intead of having to turn the hose back in a 180* loop toward the can. Where it attaches to the head I bought a "Help" brand "S" shaped 3/8" PCV hose, P/N 46002. I cut the hose in two pieces to give a 90* bend, again so I would not have to bend the hose 180* back down to the can. I then attached a 3/8" brass double barbed nipple (no jokes please). Finished the routing to the can. Whew. Here are a few pics.

Ray, you checking the RED can?

-Ray-
01-09-2009, 06:24 PM
That looks really tight.

Chewy
01-10-2009, 08:26 AM

Yep! Using an iPod Nano, Cabinet wood samples and vanity top samples I was able to copy James' to a T!

I like the Roto-Fab and red can lawride! Looks complete. I need to get those covers too!

Chris

G8GTlawride
01-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks, the Roto Fab cover made for some tight clearances but everything fits perfectly. BTW, the workmanship on the covers is exceptional.

-Ray-
01-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Installed the RED catch can and the Roto engine covers. It fits there perfect. I did the hoses a little different though. I removed the hard plastic PVC pipe from the factory fitting on the intake. I had to cut if off the nipple as the plastic was just too hard. Even with soaking in boiling water, it would not soften enough to pull or pry off. I attached the hose to that nipple. This allows a 90* bend up intead of having to turn the hose back in a 180* loop toward the can. Where it attaches to the head I bought a "Help" brand "S" shaped 3/8" PCV hose, P/N 46002. I cut the hose in two pieces to give a 90* bend, again so I would not have to bend the hose 180* back down to the can. I then attached a 3/8" brass double barbed nipple (no jokes please). Finished the routing to the can. Whew. Here are a few pics.

Ray, you checking the RED can?

I was, but I'm going to get a raw can and have it powder coated at the same place that did my fuel rail.
Sorry, I kept meaning to answer you.

G8GTlawride
01-10-2009, 07:48 PM
No worries.

wreckwriter
01-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Do the 2 fluid caps fit a G9? If so, what's wrong with them?

James?

jamesbiz
01-11-2009, 06:08 AM
James?

Sorry, which fluid caps are you referring too? Now that it's a new year and I was able to collect some capital over the christmas season sales, I should diving head first into this market soon. I have way to much inventory of raw parts for the G8 that needs to be finished.

wreckwriter
01-11-2009, 06:20 AM
Sorry, which fluid caps are you referring too? Now that it's a new year and I was able to collect some capital over the christmas season sales, I should diving head first into this market soon. I have way to much inventory of raw parts for the G8 that needs to be finished.

There were 2 fluid caps shown together on your scratch and dent page. Washer and power steering I think.

wreckwriter
01-11-2009, 06:22 AM
These:

http://shop.billetprototypes.com/product.sc?categoryId=44&productId=26

I see now that they're blue, I want raw or clear.

-Ray-
01-11-2009, 06:39 AM
You can buy them in clear, those are are the scratch and dent page.

jamesbiz
01-11-2009, 06:42 AM
There were 2 fluid caps shown together on your scratch and dent page. Washer and power steering I think.

The power steering works, but the washer fluid is a different cap on yours. I have the raw caps, but non anodized and or engraved.

jamesbiz
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
anyone wanna see why a catch can is a good idea? lol

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/8136/img1379dy0.jpg
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/904/img1377vo0.jpg

MojaveG8
01-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Can I reserve the red scratch and dent? I will pay via paypal tomorrow. Bryan

jamesbiz
01-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Can I reserve the red scratch and dent? I will pay via paypal tomorrow. Bryan

No problem. Go ahead and order it in the morning and it will be there for you

MojaveG8
01-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Paid. Check your paypal orders.

MojaveG8
01-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks ! Came quickly

norm8332
01-24-2009, 09:09 PM
This is on my list for sure. Damn, I wish it wasn't so cold here...:snow:

GeorgeInNePa
01-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks ! Came quickly

That's what she said!

GRRRR8
01-25-2009, 05:52 AM
That's what she said!

About you? LOL!!!

jamesbiz
01-30-2009, 03:05 PM
ttt :)

PantherGTBlack
01-30-2009, 04:44 PM
ttt :)

James, checked out your site, definitely interested in purchasing a can. Does it come with clamps for all hoses now?? Thanks in advance.

jamesbiz
01-30-2009, 05:01 PM
James, checked out your site, definitely interested in purchasing a can. Does it come with clamps for all hoses now?? Thanks in advance.

well I can provide them, but they are just not needed for the rest of the hoses.

jamesbiz
02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
what do you guys think?
http://www.billetprototypes.com/G8_Catch_Can_Install.html

GeorgeInNePa
02-02-2009, 10:48 PM
About you? LOL!!!

Do I care?

"Who are you going to please with that?". She asked.

"ME!!!". I said.

lol

-Ray-
02-03-2009, 05:41 AM
what do you guys think?
http://www.billetprototypes.com/G8_Catch_Can_Install.html

Pretty good James.
I have 1 change for you.

Step 15
Put the star washer over the bolt (If you have the stock intake box, pull box up and put washer under that). Place the catch can bracket hole over bolt until it's at the bottom. Put locking nut and tighten down as tight as you can ( with stock intake box, put intake box over the catch can bracket, then proceed to put the nut in stock location). Do not put cover back on until after step 16.

Change to:

Step 15
Put the star washer over the bolt (If you have the stock intake box, pull box up and put washer under that). Place the catch can bracket hole over bolt until it's at the bottom. Put locking nut and tighten down to 18 ft lbs. ( with stock intake box, put intake box over the catch can bracket, then proceed to put the nut in stock location). Do not put cover back on until after step 16.

jamesbiz
02-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Done :) thanks

ronbuick
02-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks, got mine yesterday and installed at my shop this morning, nice piece, this should work just like the condensator and they do work to keep the oil mist out of
the combustion chamber, you should diverse and do other vehicles, just my opinion, thanks. My friend Henry was out today and I gave him a Cond. for his 74 Chevy step side, if he does not like it you will prolly sell another for a old pick up cause it just looks better under the hood.

Ron

BigRob
03-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Just ordered mine!!! Are you gonnna send it with a tracking number james?

jamesbiz
03-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Just ordered mine!!! Are you gonnna send it with a tracking number james?

paypal will email you the tracking info :)

BigRob
03-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Sweet! Cant wait for it! I was just curious, is there mesh in the top part of the catch? Do you recommend putting one of those metal scrubbers in it?

wreckwriter
03-15-2009, 04:34 AM
James' can doesn't need the scrubber.

gearhead455
03-15-2009, 04:51 AM
Do I need to do this if I don't plan any engine mods?

-Ray-
03-15-2009, 04:53 AM
It would be a good idea. Simple to do as well.

gearhead455
03-15-2009, 05:00 AM
It would be a good idea. Simple to do as well.

I knew someone was gonna' say that. lol

The install photos on that link will make it easy,I gotta' get those V8 fender badges first.:devil:

Posidon42
03-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Small fixes in your instructions: misspelled "throttle" in step 13, and "Every" in step 18.

Do you have any pictures of the inside of your can? That last step seems to show there is something else inside it. Interested in what it is.

MtbDoc
03-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Instructions? These things come with instructions???

Uhhhh, James: mine didn't have any instructions, NOT that any were needed! A quick 5 min install for a slow old man like me. Looks nice to the side of the Maggie. Nicely finished, should do the job quite well.

PantherGTBlack
03-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Instructions? These things come with instructions???

Uhhhh, James: mine didn't have any instructions, NOT that any were needed! A quick 5 min install for a slow old man like me. Looks nice to the side of the Maggie. Nicely finished, should do the job quite well.

There are pictures on his site for step by step instructions...sounds like you didn't need them though!

BigRob
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Just got my black catch can today! I must say it is a very high quality piece, just looking into the top of it really surprised me in terms of fit, finish, and functionality. The shipping was VERY fast (thanks for the free upgrade james!) and the install was a breeze. I managed to break a clip, but that was my own fault! lol but i am very happy, and it is an excellent product. I totally recommend this, im sure it is far superior to any homemade one or ebay one!!

PerfectD3
03-23-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm looking forward to mine, still waiting for the mail man to bring me this and my street I kit.

BigRob
03-28-2009, 02:23 AM
wow, just checked it tonight, after about 2 weeks and there was about a tablespoon or more in there, and the sides were coated! we need these things!!!

-Ray-
03-28-2009, 03:23 AM
Link to install instructions is in this thread. Twice now. :)
Install instructions (http://www.billetprototypes.com/G8_Catch_Can_Install.html)

johnh
03-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Got mine a couple days ago, just waiting to put it on. The appearance and quality are top notch...it looks awesome (and its red of course).

PerfectD3
03-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Just installed mine last night, went really smooth!

Top Speed
03-28-2009, 07:56 AM
I get 1-2 tablespoons of oil every tank of gas. Does anyone know about the other connector on the passenger side valve cover that goes into the plastic intake, ahead of the throttle body? I wonder if oil is getting pulled through there too and if it need another catch can?

ronbuick
03-28-2009, 10:26 AM
One is all you need

Crazy Paul
03-28-2009, 02:07 PM
I get 1-2 tablespoons of oil every tank of gas. Does anyone know about the other connector on the passenger side valve cover that goes into the plastic intake, ahead of the throttle body? I wonder if oil is getting pulled through there too and if it need another catch can?

The fresh air supply line.
Fresh filtered (and metered by the MAF) air is taken from the air intake and routed into the passenger side valve cover.
This air flows thru the block and help push out the foul air.

Under some conditions you might get flow reversion and a small amount of oily vapour could travel from the valve cover back into the intake piping.
Some people choose to fit those small air compressor filter bowls from hardware stores to catch oil that is present during flow reversal.

BigRob
03-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Fresh filtered (and metered by the MAF) air is taken from the air intake and routed into the passenger side valve cover.

Under some conditions you might get flow reversion and a small amount of oily vapour could travel from the valve cover back into the intake piping.
Some people choose to fit those small air compressor filter bowls from hardware stores to catch oil that is present during flow reversal.

would you reccommed this paul, or not too necessary? a pic perhaps? thanks dude!

Top Speed
03-28-2009, 02:50 PM

That makes perfect sense.

IcePickFreak
03-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Got my catch can from James earlier this week and put it on today. Build quality & finish are excellent on it. Took me all of about 10 minutes to install. Thanks James!

Crazy Paul
03-28-2009, 03:39 PM
would you reccommed this paul, or not too necessary? a pic perhaps? thanks dude!

The bulk of the oil will be caught by the aftermarket PCV catch can.

I do already have a PCV catch can fitted.
I have personally thought about fitting a "secondary" oil trap on the fresh air supply line on my own car. Mainly because its a manual and I do tend to do more engine braking than most people. Engine braking and wild gear changes, slamming the throttle open and shut would be conditions where flow reversion was most likely to happen.

The only reason I haven't fitted an oil trap on the fresh air supply line is that I'm not anal enough about oil in the intake to overcome the cheap junk hardware looks of the filter traps currently available.

Example on an LS1..traditional aftermarket catch can on the PCV line + filter trap on the fresh air supply line. Note: most of the PCV connection points are different, but the fresh air supply line still goes to the same place as the later engines. A cheap inline fuel filter has been used here on the fresh air supply line to catch oil from flow reversion.
http://f.imagehost.org/view/0536/catch_can

The type of Hardware store air compressor filter traps employed by some people on the fresh air supply line.
http://f.imagehost.org/view/0642/DSC00115

Somebody caught some oil (car type unknown).
http://f.imagehost.org/view/0237/CatchCan002

steined
03-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Can someone tell me what size and pitch the nut is that is used for the BilletPrototypes catch can install? When my Roto-Fab was installed, the nut was discarded so I need to find a replacement and get a washer too. It is the nut used for the stock airbox I believe.

Thanks!

BigRob
03-28-2009, 05:14 PM
right on! thanks paul!

steined
03-28-2009, 08:06 PM
can someone tell me what size and pitch the nut is that is used for the billetprototypes catch can install? When my roto-fab was installed, the nut was discarded so i need to find a replacement and get a washer too. It is the nut used for the stock airbox i believe.

Thanks!

m6-1.00 :p

IcePickFreak
03-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Can someone tell me what size and pitch the nut is that is used for the BilletPrototypes catch can install? When my Roto-Fab was installed, the nut was discarded so I need to find a replacement and get a washer too. It is the nut used for the stock airbox I believe.

Thanks!

I just installed mine today, there was a star washer and lock nut included with the catch can.