PDA

View Full Version : New Era Performance supercruise/cookout!!

Provie94
05-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Were having another open house this year at New Era Performance. Everyone is welcome to come and join us! The plan is to fill his parking lot with cars, trucks, and bikes, cruise around Rochester/Parkway, make a few stops, take some pictures, come back and eat!

Date: Saturday May 30th, 2009

Time: Meet from 1:30-2:45 Cruise at 3, eat sometime after that

Location: New Era Performance, 1322 Buffalo Road, Rochester NY, 14624

Tentative Menu: Hots/Hamburgs/Sausage, Mac & Potato Salad, typical cookout stuff

majesticix
05-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Cool, hopefully I can make it down there. Looking forward to it.

GotMyG8V8
05-14-2009, 04:17 AM
Count me in.

GotMyG8V8
05-18-2009, 09:32 AM
man, gonna be a dead party if just the two of us go.

BMWHunter
05-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Would love to go. But...it's a 5 hour drive from Montgomery

gearhead455
05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a plan. :)

majesticix
05-19-2009, 05:11 AM
bah, this is just the G8 forum. They will have plenty of F-body's and the like coming out. And if not, more food for us!

09Stryker
05-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Hmm, this might be an overnight trip. How about free LTH installs that day? I'm only 5hrs away. :)

MANOFSTEEL69
05-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Bummer! Wish I wasn't racing that day or I'd make the trip! :(

NYG8GT
05-19-2009, 03:34 PM
I should be there pending any plans the wife has that I dont know about lol :p

FrolferG8
05-19-2009, 03:57 PM
count me in ill be making the drive from niagara falls

Mike@NewEra
05-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Come on down guys, you can raz the corvette guys about why there has been so many G8's in the shop lately! It will be a good time, and we can talk about mods etc.

tosspint
05-21-2009, 06:16 AM
I'll be rocking the V6 G8 but I'm planning on making the trip.

-Mike, not sure if you remember, but I'm the guy John C. was talking about who was asking about the SLP axlebacks bolting up to the V6. Think we'll have some time to try bolting them on?

GotMyG8V8
05-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Hey Mike do you need anyone to bring anything, like some cases of soda or anything?

FrolferG8
05-24-2009, 07:05 PM
I came by but must have gotten there a little too late it was about 245p. how was the turn out?

Mike@NewEra
05-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Its next saturday. Its an all day event.

Provie94
05-28-2009, 02:34 PM
2 more days!!! :woohoo:

Dee
05-28-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm there!

norm8332
05-28-2009, 05:10 PM
I might make it, wont know until tomorrow.

majesticix
05-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Unfortunately it doesn't look like I will make it. Started getting some serious engine knock yesterday and white exhaust fumes when I started up the car to head home for lunch (drove fine in the morning). Went a few hundred feet and pulled over when it got worse. Had the car towed to the dealership to have a look. They don't have a clue where the sound is coming from, but I'm already getting a little grief about the work done on the car. Hopefully whatever it is will get covered under warranty, but we'll see. They think it might be coming from the upper valve train...? Not sure if having the manifold taken off to repair the bolt had any impact...

On a side note, my father's new SS Camaro rolls in today or tomorrow at the dealership so I may just have to drive down and see that anyway! Enjoy the cookout guys, wish I could be there. This month has not been my month for the G8.

GotMyG8V8
05-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Well that's a bummer, sorry to hear about the car. What dealership did you bring the car down to?

Provie94
05-29-2009, 08:17 AM
I might make it, wont know until tomorrow.

Hope you can make it!!

majesticix
05-29-2009, 10:13 AM
It's at Dick Ide Pontiac...closest dealership where I was pulled over. May have made a mistake bringing it there...in any case they just pulled the car in to look at it this afternoon and the engine just seized and shot something out. So I definitely won't be going anywhere soon in my G8, assuming they warranty it. Right now they are telling me they won't, yet they don't even know what the problem is.

GotMyG8V8
05-29-2009, 11:47 AM
If they even begin the sentence "I'm sorry but we won't....", just start slapping people until you get the answer you want. Worked well for me in the past.

GeoffA
05-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey Mike I should be picking up my 09 SBM G8 GT tommorrow morning. Are you guys having any Cruise Tune Dyno Discounts?

majesticix
05-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Can't wait to see the repair bill for replacing an L76 engine...

GeoffA
05-29-2009, 12:39 PM

It might be time to have the ultimate sleeper and go with a LS9 (http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/EngineShowcase/index.jsp?engId=LS9&engine=LS9&sku=1920199&engCat=ls)

wreckwriter
05-29-2009, 12:53 PM
It might be time to have the ultimate sleeper and go with a LS9 (http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/EngineShowcase/index.jsp?engId=LS9&engine=LS9&sku=1920199&engCat=ls)

If they make you pay for it you really might want to consider a different motor.

wreckwriter
05-29-2009, 12:53 PM
It's at Dick Ide Pontiac...closest dealership where I was pulled over. May have made a mistake bringing it there...in any case they just pulled the car in to look at it this afternoon and the engine just seized and shot something out. So I definitely won't be going anywhere soon in my G8, assuming they warranty it. Right now they are telling me they won't, yet they don't even know what the problem is.

Have it towed somewhere else.

GeoffA
05-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Heres an ebay L76 for you (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-Pontiac-G8-GT-Engine-Tranny-Liftout-Complete-L76_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2 Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3 a3Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem 4ce966183bQQitemZ330333296699QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fT ruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1216)

majesticix
05-29-2009, 03:58 PM
What would be involved with using a different motor? What else would I have to replace in order for it to be compatible?

GeoffA
05-29-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm sure New Era would do it for you or any reputable shop. $$ labor might get expensive, but your insurance should pay for it.

GotMyG8V8
05-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Man that's a scary thought. 7500 bucks for a new motor/tranny. GeoffA what insurance are you talking about that would pay for the labor?

GeoffA
05-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Man that's a scary thought. 7500 bucks for a new motor/tranny. GeoffA what insurance are you talking about that would pay for the labor?

:secret:

The way I look at it, If something goes wrong in your car (blown engine) and you put a claim in with your ins. co. to get your engine fixed, cough cough new LS9 put in cough cough, you present that figure to your ins pay your deductible and away you go. Will it work? it's worth a shot.

GeoffA
05-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Or he puts a claim in with the dealership who did his work to remove the busted bolts.

majesticix
05-29-2009, 06:35 PM
first going to try and get this warrantied once they figure out why it seized. If that fails, then try to pin the problem on the dealership that did the work on the bolt if in fact they caused the problem. If that fails, I'll talk to Mike and see what can be done. Investing $7000+ on a car which I still owe $26k just to replace with the same engine would be ludicrous, though what the cost difference between putting a L76 engine and LS(X) I don't know. I imagine I would have to change out some other things just to get a different engine to work.

norm8332
05-30-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm guessing blown head gasket, Hydro lock. Just a guess, hope it works out for you.

wreckwriter
05-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Do a search on "427", its been done so the answers are available. I don't think much, if anything, extra has to be replaced. LS motors aren't cheap though.

I don't see how fixing the bolt issue caused this. I do think you'd be better off at that dealer though. The one you're at seems determined to fuck you over.

GotMyG8V8
05-30-2009, 06:41 AM
ralph in greece, where i got my car, seems to be the better dealership as far as working on the car. I've talked to the service manager, and he has a bit of a hard on for the car, and i've talked to him about mods and he didn't say anything like, dont do that or your warranty will be void. So you might have a better chance there if you can get the car out there. The techs couldn't reproduce my suspension issue, but otherwise they're alright. They seem to respect the car.

NYG8GT
05-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Ralph was a joke when I brought my car there to get the TCM update done. I made an appointment for a Saturday morning at like 7:30am only for them to tell me it didnt need it, even when it clearly did. The service writer and I believe service manager gave me a tough time about it, telling me not to believe what I read on the internet and treating me like I was some asshole kid who had no idea what he was talking about. So I took it to Patrick and they saw that it did need the update and gave me no grief at all for it. Im hoping that after this whole Pontiac getting shut down thing goes through that I'll be able to take my car to Bob Johnson Chevy since theyre a minute down the road from me because I really hate having to go to Henrietta for good service. Ralph can suck it.

GotMyG8V8
05-30-2009, 07:47 AM
hahaha it was the reverse for me. patrick has given me a hard time, with both of the g6's i've had and 1 i still have. As well with my grand prix gtp. the service manager at ralph was really nice to me. maybe it was their "time of the month". When i told them about the reprogram they said they would check it out, they did and updated. Guess it's a different experience for everyone. We should band together and shop the dealerships for who is going to give us a fair deal and treat us right and all go to that one place.

majesticix
05-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah I haven't been real impressed with any of the dealers around here to much, though the Patrick Body shop was good. Luckily my father was a Chevy district sales manager for 28 years and still knows some folks as he dealt with these kinds of issues for many years (and often made some of the decisions on these types of things). Hopefully he can pull a few strings. He has before...though nothing of this magnitude.

I don't know how fixing a bolt would cause an engine to seize either, but they definitely are looking for any reason not to warranty anything these days seeing how great GM is doing. I'm sure if they don't pin it on the bolt, they will pin it on my tune as soon as they find out.

GTPprix
05-30-2009, 09:54 AM
, they will pin it on my tune as soon as they find out.

If they are following the GM bulletin for engine work thats the FIRST thing they did, shoot me your VIN in a PM I'd be curious to see if they have the warranty block in place already for the drivetrain or not.

GeorgeInNePa
05-30-2009, 02:22 PM

If they aren't going to warranty it, you'd be better off having it towed to a performance shop (do you know of any? ;)) and having a 402 or the like put in there.

It will probably cost the same in the end.

When you tell them it's being towed away, tell them if they had honored the warranty they'd be fixing it. Since they aren't, they get nothing!

GeorgeInNePa
05-30-2009, 02:25 PM
first going to try and get this warrantied once they figure out why it seized. If that fails, then try to pin the problem on the dealership that did the work on the bolt if in fact they caused the problem. If that fails, I'll talk to Mike and see what can be done. Investing $7000+ on a car which I still owe $26k just to replace with the same engine would be ludicrous, though what the cost difference between putting a L76 engine and LS(X) I don't know. I imagine I would have to change out some other things just to get a different engine to work.

As long as the heads are ok, you need a short block.

Your top end, a new bottom end and tuning are what you need.

GeoffA
05-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Back to the cookout, I missed it. I was getting my new SBM GT. Post some pics when you guys can.

gearhead455
05-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Back to the cookout, I missed it. I was getting my new SBM GT. Post some pics when you guys can.

I was painting my garage floor. :(

GotMyG8V8
05-31-2009, 06:51 AM
Alright i don't feel as bad then, my girlfriend just had 2 wisdom teeth removed so i wanted to make sure she was feeling ok so i wound up not going.

majesticix
05-31-2009, 04:37 PM
If they are following the GM bulletin for engine work thats the FIRST thing they did, shoot me your VIN in a PM I'd be curious to see if they have the warranty block in place already for the drivetrain or not.

PM sent! I'll keep you posted as I hear more.

I went over to the dealership Saturday night to grab some stuff out of my car, and then decided to fire up the engine just to see if it really did seize. The engine did turn over but I immediately shut it off after the sound it was making. Sounded right out of a movie when somebody's car breaks down (best way I can describe it, I'm no mechanic).

In any case, it sounds so much worse than when I left it at the dealership. At least before it fired up fine but had a repetitive knock. I wouldn't think a seized engine would even start up? Wonder if these morons drove the car around and made it worse....

GRRRR8
05-31-2009, 05:38 PM
PM sent! I'll keep you posted as I hear more.

I went over to the dealership Saturday night to grab some stuff out of my car, and then decided to fire up the engine just to see if it really did seize. The engine did turn over but I immediately shut it off after the sound it was making. Sounded right out of a movie when somebody's car breaks down (best way I can describe it, I'm no mechanic).

In any case, it sounds so much worse than when I left it at the dealership. At least before it fired up fine but had a repetitive knock. I wouldn't think a seized engine would even start up? Wonder if these morons drove the car around and made it worse....

A seized engine doesnt turn over or start. If it ran with a knock when you took it in, it should still run with a knock now unless something finally let go.

majesticix
06-01-2009, 05:58 AM
Something must have gone cause it doesn't sound anything like it did when I dropped it off...though I shut it down about a half second after it fired up. At least it fired up I guess...they did mention something shot out...of course they don't know what or where it went!?!

If they don't get my some answers today, I'm flat bedding it elsewhere.

majesticix
06-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Short block is wasted. GM is not covering ANY warranties at the moment because of bankruptcy...though it doesn't matter for me since the dealer will not warranty my repair. Luckily it broke before they did anything, so I am returning the car to New Era to be put back to stock, and once Government Motors starts accepting warranty repairs again, I'll try and get this warrantied with a different dealer...that is if a motor is even available since parts just checked and there isn't anything around.

May end up slapping an LS3 in here if I can convince the bank to help me out with my car loan....word to the wise...don't snap a freaking bolt!

GeoffA
06-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Short block is wasted. GM is not covering ANY warranties at the moment because of bankruptcy...though it doesn't matter for me since the dealer will not warranty my repair. Luckily it broke before they did anything, so I am returning the car to New Era to be put back to stock, and once Government Motors starts accepting warranty repairs again, I'll try and get this warrantied with a different dealer...that is if a motor is even available since parts just checked and there isn't anything around.

May end up slapping an LS3 in here if I can convince the bank to help me out with my car loan....word to the wise...don't snap a freaking bolt!

That can not be true...

wreckwriter
06-01-2009, 09:49 AM
No, it can't.

majesticix
06-01-2009, 04:33 PM
it is. Call your local dealer. It is just temporary as they wait for a Judge to sign off on the bankruptcy. Most people won't be turned down for minor warranty repair, but significant repair will have to wait until this is fixed. I hear that could be as quick as tomorrow afternoon.

Hard to believe, but I kid you not. I spoke to 3 different dealers and my father spoke with a Chevy zone district sales exec. All said the same thing. Not only that, but they told me to take my car back to the original dealership that sold me the car...so now I've got to flatbed this bitch about 100 miles to Syracuse.

NYG8GT
06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Holy. Crap.

God help us all when warranty work is being denied while bankruptcy is being filed. This is one sad world we live in :(

And Dick Ide is still f*cking with you like no tomorrow. If they say they cant warranty it because of the mods before they even know whats wrong with the car, just bring them a copy of everyones friend, the Magnuson-Moss Act :D

majesticix
06-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah I towed the car out of there this afternoon. They aren't seeing a dime from me. They did everything possible (including ruining my engine permanently) to be not get my business.

I think the warranty issue should be cleared up for everyone shortly hopefully. I know they couldn't do service work on a broken convertible top for a G6 because of this. I'll let you all know how things go. Right now Mike put everything back to stock on the car and I will tow it to another dealer and have another go at it. Luckily because of this bankruptcy, Dick Ide didn't file any paper work and just handed my keys back so I may still get a chance at getting this sucker warrantied. So long as they don't question my Flashed ECM, we should be good! ;)

majesticix
06-01-2009, 06:45 PM
oh, and I can't say I'd recommend Dick Ide Pontiac for anything :)