PDA

View Full Version : De-badging issue

sdown
05-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Yikes! Last week I took off the little GM squares and the ridiculous dealer sticker from the trunk lid. No problems at all, took about 10 minutes.

Today I removed the G8, GT and Pontiac logos from the rear and what a mess.

Used the same method, heated the badge with a blow dryer, slid a plastic credit card under one side (to prevent it from digging in to the paint should the badge accidentally lift) and worked it free with some fishing line.

Not one came off cleanly, all the tar-like glue residue stayed on the car. I began working at it with a rag and some WD 40. After about 90 minutes I was able to get the last of it off. Then I had to work the Scratch and Swirl remover like crazy for about 30 minutes, then a good coat of wax for about another 15 minutes.

2 hours to remove those decals. Anyone else hit any stubborn little plastic letters and numbers?

confused2much
05-13-2009, 07:49 AM
I removed the GM squares on the side with ease, and the PONTIAC letters on the back were a little bit tougher. It didn't take me as long as it took you though. IIRC it only took me 30 min tops. I used goo gone, then a polish spray to clean it all off. The heat gun was my friend for that job (except I burned my finger).

Chewy
05-13-2009, 08:25 AM
They're a right bitch but 3M general adhesive mover makes life A LOT easier. Nothing compares to it IMO.

I just used fishing line and cut through them.

A few Adams products later and it looked like they were never there.

esinger
05-13-2009, 08:45 AM
3M general adhesive mover makes life A LOT easier. Nothing compares to it IMO.

Ditto, That's super great stuff!

majesticix
05-13-2009, 09:17 AM
I only removed the GM chickies (piece of cake) and the PONTIAC lettering...left the G8 and GT on for now, but the lettering is probably this biggest PITA. Still wasn't too bad. Took maybe 20 minutes for the letters...I heated and then brought in the plastic card with blow dryer which ripped most of the goo off. Goo-gone took care of the rest. Wiped clean, and waxed a few months later (did it in the middle of winter). Never knew anything was there.

fourthmeal
05-13-2009, 11:57 AM
GooGone is a miracle as well if you don't have the adhesive remover.

I use Zaino stuff, so I try to clay the area under after to remove micro-particles, then simply buff and treat like you would the rest of the car. I find it blends in pretty quickly.

chipman283
05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
I just took off the Pontiac lettering on Saturday, it took 30 minutes start to finish, did it while the grill was warming up and cooking the steaks. I didn't even have to heat them, fishing line and careful fingernail job some WD40. I used a little scratch remover just to make sure there was not a ghost image, then a little wax.

gearhead455
05-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, I like the badges and lettering. I should have my V8 fender badges from crazy Paul in a few more days,from what I read the Chiclets come off pretty easy.

I also have the V flag trunk badge coming,but my son say's not to put it on because people over here don't know what it stands for and will think I'm a Caddy-V series poser. lol

What do you guy's say?

fastg8mi
05-13-2009, 05:32 PM
for me the gm squares came off with ease, the pontiac was a bitch, i used fish line to get the letters off with ease, but the rubber was diffucult. i have blisters all over my palms from rubbing so hard and long

Blackdevil77
05-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Everything was a bitch for me lol. Nothing a little WD-40, swirl remover, wax and some time can't fix. I had to do the same procedure for the GM squares and the pontiac lettering.

intmd8ak
05-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Did mine the other day. Chiclets were easy (didn't figure I should keep those since Pontiac aint gonna be part of GM any more), the Pontiac lettering was a little harder, and the G8 and GT emblems were a down right pain. I think I went through a good 20 feet of fishing line (I'll have to get stronger test next time). One thing that you can do to help remove the big pieces of tape that are left is to use the heat gun on them again. Then the big chunks peel right off with your finger. Then all you have to do is clean up the little stuff which should only take like five minutes.

Chocolate
05-16-2009, 02:35 AM
I like the end result. Loads of people ask what it is. My answer differs depending upon whom I'm talking to. New GTO, limited edition Alfa Romeo, etc.

timg8
05-16-2009, 06:18 AM
For me, the GM chiclets can disappear but I really want the Pontiac and G8 badging to stay so everyone can see how bad GM screwed up

GT-610
05-16-2009, 08:57 AM
it was a bitch for me too.used mineral spirits sparingly and it came off in seconds...finished with a detailer

micheal0484
05-16-2009, 02:32 PM
I just used fishing line and Goo Gone and it came right off.

leon1972
05-16-2009, 06:03 PM
No issues here either, used the heat, credit card, fishing line method, and they came off with ease. Then goo gone to remove the adhesive. Then the 3 step mothers of pearl waxing, as it was wax day, and never even knew they were there.

silver6.0L
05-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Heat, card, and then wax no problem and little time to do but I also did this when I got the car within the first week and the car was only at the dealer a few days also so the sun never bake the glue on.

Black_Ice
06-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Just use a eraser wheel . it takes all that two sided tape right off
Available at you're local paint supply store

WickedMom
06-10-2009, 08:07 PM
My debadging was soooo easy, Handed keys to tech. (lots of swearing and yelling) 1/2 hour later, no chiclets, no G8 GT no arrowhead no P O N T I A C
And I didnt even break a sweat.

I do have one nick in the paint just left of center right under the spoiler.... no one notices it tho, they are too busy laughin at my license plate.

Seattle09GT
06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
I warmed with a hair dryer - 10 pound test fishing line and on just a couple of spots some Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover - did it all in under 30 minutes and didn't even use the hair dryer on the GM chicklets, just sawed them off.

swimman
06-11-2009, 03:10 AM
I usually debadge my cars and this one was no different. I used some fishing line and worked it back and forth behind the numbers/letters. I've never used heat to soften the tape as they come right off without. There was some residue left from the tape but that was easily scraped off with my thumb - although I did have a sore thumbs from a total debadge job! All badges took me maybe 20 minutes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/swimman/DSC04949.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/swimman/DSC05196.jpg

HoldenMan21
06-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Buy an eraser pad with drill adapter bit and use your own power drill, took me about 5 minutes to debadge the entire car !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P41F4DT9IDs&feature=channel_page

did not take of the front badge off , does anybody know if it hold with tape of pins ??

Seattle09GT
06-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Buy an eraser pad with drill adapter bit and use your own power drill, took me about 5 minutes to debadge the entire car !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P41F4DT9IDs&feature=channel_page

did not take of the front badge off , does anybody know if it hold with tape of pins ??

Pins. You'll have holes.

HoldenMan21
06-21-2009, 10:03 AM
thx 4 the info !
I guess I'll have to find something else to do with the front badge ...

any ideas anyone ???

Seattle09GT
06-21-2009, 07:24 PM
I am weighing whether or not to have the front arrowhead removed, filled and painted. I will make it as part of a joint decision on whether to go with a clear bra or have everything from the a-pillar forward painted with a couple of layers of clear coat to deal with rock chips better. Either way it will cost about the same. If I go the route of the clear coat then they can fill and paint the spot with the white, and I will have a 100% debadged G8 on the outside.

All told, $800ish I'm guessing.

HoldenMan21
06-22-2009, 08:51 PM
I am weighing whether or not to have the front arrowhead removed, filled and painted. I will make it as part of a joint decision on whether to go with a clear bra or have everything from the a-pillar forward painted with a couple of layers of clear coat to deal with rock chips better. Either way it will cost about the same. If I go the route of the clear coat then they can fill and paint the spot with the white, and I will have a 100% debadged G8 on the outside.

All told, $800ish I'm guessing.

If you do, pls post pics after the "operation" !