PDA

View Full Version : Car is in the Shop!!!

zosoboogie
05-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Damping and new speakers all around!!! Can't wait!!

'02 ws6
05-12-2009, 07:43 PM
What speakers did you go with?

Mike P
05-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Yes, zosoboogie. Please let us know what you got done. I'm really looking to do some sort of audio upgrade.

Kind of leaning towards just replacing the speakers......

fourthmeal
05-13-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm listening as well. This is my world and I can't wait to get my hands on my own G8.

I hope you didn't drop the bucks wastefully on Dynamat Xtreme...there are many other better options. What drivers did you choose? Did you go with an integration processor? Are you going active?

fourthmeal
05-13-2009, 10:03 AM
BTW, guys I would say that any install worth its salt is going to benefit greatly from deadener and barrier installation.

You don't have to go all-out with a mass-loader, usually just a little mat and some closed-cell foam as a barrier layer and a rattle-stop inside all panels, especially door panels and trunk. lining. Using something like Luxury Liner would also be a smart move, since it does so much for noise control.

BTW most car audio stuff you can do yourself, if not all. Time is all it takes. Of course, if you have no time, using a good install shop is always a good idea.

Mike P
05-13-2009, 10:31 AM
BTW, guys I would say that any install worth its salt is going to benefit greatly from deadener and barrier installation.

You don't have to go all-out with a mass-loader, usually just a little mat and some closed-cell foam as a barrier layer and a rattle-stop inside all panels, especially door panels and trunk. lining. Using something like Luxury Liner would also be a smart move, since it does so much for noise control.

BTW most car audio stuff you can do yourself, if not all. Time is all it takes. Of course, if you have no time, using a good install shop is always a good idea.

Hey fourthmeal, what state are you in? You sound like you know your car audio.....

Subscribing....

fourthmeal
05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Las Vegas, NV.

I'm just a DIY'er now (installed and sold stuff in the past) but I've been a diymobileaudio.com community member for a while...we tend to figure out the cheapest way to do something right.

G8GT594
05-13-2009, 12:06 PM
What speakers and amp? I plan on doing this over the summer sometime.

wreckwriter
05-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Arthur, that should add a bunch of extra weight to your car. I like it :)

G8GT721
05-13-2009, 12:18 PM
Arthur, that should add a bunch of extra weight to your car. I like it :)

probably a 150-200 pounds if he does the whole car

wreckwriter
05-13-2009, 12:25 PM
probably a 150-200 pounds if he does the whole car

I'm REALLY liking it now!:woohoo::woohoo:

G8GT721
05-13-2009, 12:40 PM
just a trunk kit(dynamat) weighs 22 pounds, and its only 5 pieces 18" x 32". It seems like Arthur does things right so maybe he'll do the whole car :devil:

wreckwriter
05-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Yea, he doesn't fuck around. Arthur, it'll sound MUCH better if you do the whole car!

fourthmeal
05-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Guys, I'm telling ya...you don't have to add that much mass to stop noise.

That's the old-school way of doing it and while effective, it is not price-efficient nor weight-efficient. Certainly doing a full deadening mat install along with barrier install will be very effective...but knowing where exactly to place deadener is a smarter approach.

Think "shotgun" solution vs. "sniper" solution. I prefer the sniper solution unless the car is just plain noisy even after some selective work.

wreckwriter
05-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Hush, I'm trying to slow Arthur down :)

fourthmeal
05-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Oh. LOLz... Just figured that out. Well, in that case, might I recommend the vinyl-lead barrier option on top of your mat?

G8GT721
05-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Wreck your a mod edit his post lol

EcoBrick Bob
05-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Hush, I'm trying to slow Arthur down :)

Tom... you already have a big weight advantage in more ways than you know!!!!

zosoboogie
05-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Tom... you already have a big weight advantage in more ways than you know!!!!

Are you calling me fat?? I have thick bones!

They added the damping the all the doors, It didn't add that much weight I wouldn't think so. The speakers are Hertz HSK 165 four of them and two tweeters. Before they removed the rear deck speakers so bass from the woofers can go through the rear deck. It sounds amazing no comparison with the crap from korea.

fourthmeal
05-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Nice. Hertz is a brand that has really taken off recently (years-wise.) I haven't auditioned them, but heard only good things on DIYMA.

Mike P
05-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Las Vegas, NV.

I'm just a DIY'er now (installed and sold stuff in the past) but I've been a diymobileaudio.com community member for a while...we tend to figure out the cheapest way to do something right.

Vegas, cool location but not local to me. I'll still be looking at the outcome of zoso's audio set up, as I would really like to add more power, crisp sound, and a little more thump.

:)

Paniller
05-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Guys, I'm telling ya...you don't have to add that much mass to stop noise.

That's the old-school way of doing it and while effective, it is not price-efficient nor weight-efficient. Certainly doing a full deadening mat install along with barrier install will be very effective...but knowing where exactly to place deadener is a smarter approach.

Think "shotgun" solution vs. "sniper" solution. I prefer the sniper solution unless the car is just plain noisy even after some selective work.
Agreed, I did The entire trunk, back seat, rear deck, and doors for $120. I just used 2 gallons of eDead v3. 15 lbs total, about, maybe 16. No rattles, everything's good.

I could see maybe 1 more gallon for the floor, ceiling, and firewall. So, about 25lb total by my count. Then maybe another 10lbs of foam to block sounds aside from the vibration, and we'll be set.

So...under 50lbs should really do it if you go nuts. The eDead v3 is very light, then some foam.

dandragonrage
05-14-2009, 07:56 PM
No thanks to eDead or anything from Elemental Designs: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205038&page=2

RAAMMat and Luxury Liner are what I used in my previous car, and are what I'll use if I do it again.

fourthmeal
05-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah I've had badddd luck with Elemental's eDead stuff. The v1SE screwed me good on an install, had to redo most of my work w/ RAAMmat to actually make a difference.

At any rate, OP, nice call on your build. I get soooo frustrated when I see the uninformed masses just buy random stuff some dude in a shop says is better. Thing is, there is so much useful info on the web to help people out.

Vertical
05-15-2009, 03:46 AM
Yeah I've had badddd luck with Elemental's eDead stuff. The v1SE screwed me good on an install, had to redo most of my work w/ RAAMmat to actually make a difference.

At any rate, OP, nice call on your build. I get soooo frustrated when I see the uninformed masses just buy random stuff some dude in a shop says is better. Thing is, there is so much useful info on the web to help people out.

+1

It doesn't take much to do a little research and save yourself a lot of money. Once I finally bite on a deal for a G8 I'm going to need to figure out what to do with my Soundsplinter 15 as I haven't really had a chance to see the layout of the G8 yet.

Paniller
05-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthmeal

+1

It doesn't take much to do a little research and save yourself a lot of money. Once I finally bite on a deal for a G8 I'm going to need to figure out what to do with my Soundsplinter 15 as I haven't really had a chance to see the layout of the G8 yet.
Wait wait wait. What's going on here? Can you guys elaborate? Am I spreading misinformation without realizing it?

I've used the eDead paste paint on stuff with great results so far. It's completely silenced my exhaust drone. I still need a little something more for a few spots I missed, and was gonna grab ~25ft of their peel and stick 80mil stuff for those spots. It comes to be ~$50 on sale, and 25ft of the 50mil Raamat is $40.

I was under the impression that they're all about as good as the other. I've read a few reviews that confirms this. Can you guys tell me what I'm doing wrong or overlooking? I heard eD was fine for amps and soundproofing.

dandragonrage
05-18-2009, 10:32 AM
They are a shady company that has ripped off many others. I would never do business with them. In addition, they lie about their product specs.

Their sound deadener is also crap: http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/ -- edit: apparently is no longer the same site showing product comparisons that it used to be :/

Edit edit: http://web.archive.org/web/20080202071157/http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ -- guess it was too old to have tested v3. But, still, I'd never support that company.

Paniller
05-18-2009, 10:53 AM
They are a shady company that has ripped off many others. I would never do business with them. In addition, they lie about their product specs.

Their sound deadener is also crap: http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/ -- edit: apparently is no longer the same site showing product comparisons that it used to be :/

Edit edit: http://web.archive.org/web/20080202071157/http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ -- guess it was too old to have tested v3. But, still, I'd never support that company.
Sounds good. I've been getting bad vibes from them, originating from overpricing their shipping cost 400%. I chose v3 because I didn't see any other paint on solutions out there, though now I see that there are. Other than that, I only care about bang for the buck, which is why I'm back to the drawing board before purchasing peel & stick. They again seemed to have the best value, being that their 80mil is on sale...but if there's moral/support problems with them, I'll go elsewhere with my last $50.

I'll probably go with secondskin, as they're the next company that sells in a small enough quantity for me. But, before I do, does anyone have experience with fatmat? They're dirt cheap, if they perform well, I might as well.

(oh, btw, I mixed up Raammat with "fatmat" in my previous post)

Vertical
05-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Sorry, i should have clarified. i was referring to the second part of "Fourthmeals" post which mentions people overspending on inferior products. I do not have first hand experience with eDead

Mike P
05-18-2009, 11:25 AM
So which type of sound deadining material should one use for their car audio set up?

Dyna Mat?

dandragonrage
05-18-2009, 11:28 AM
If you can find use for all of it, RAAMMat. I do not believe in covering an entire car, though, so that would mean using a roll of it over multiple cars. Maybe split it with a friend.

If you want smaller amounts, Second Skin. Also, I really like their Luxury Liner product. I used it in my last car with RAAMMat.

Paniller
05-18-2009, 11:57 AM
So which type of sound deadining material should one use for their car audio set up?

Dyna Mat?

I consider Dynamat to be the worst bang for the buck ever. I needed a few more square feet to finish my install...and let's say my car's in pieces for the week because I'd rather wait for shipping than spend $10 a square foot on that overpriced stuff.

From what I gather, here are some options:
Dynamat - good, but overpriced for the masses
Fatmat - cheapest, but not butyl.
Raammat - great, but sold in large(r) quantities ($100+)
eDead - good product, good value, shady company
secondSkin - great, moderate price

fourthmeal
05-18-2009, 01:43 PM
The other thing to keep in mind is that Deadening mat is only one of many things you need to deal with. Once you mass-load the resonant panels w/ a deadener, you should then cover whole areas w/ vinyl barriers or at least foam barriers. Ensolite, Overkill, Luxury Liner, etc. It is lighter, more effective, and cheaper than just smattering your car w/ mat. BTW, if you ever need to discuss this stuff with a REAL pro, Ant at Secondskin is super-nice to talk with and is very patient. My next build (which may be a while since the G8 deal I was working on w/ a dealer fell straight through) will use his products exclusively, because of the way he takes care of his customers.

Paniller
05-18-2009, 04:25 PM
The other thing to keep in mind is that Deadening mat is only one of many things you need to deal with. Once you mass-load the resonant panels w/ a deadener, you should then cover whole areas w/ vinyl barriers or at least foam barriers. Ensolite, Overkill, Luxury Liner, etc. It is lighter, more effective, and cheaper than just smattering your car w/ mat. BTW, if you ever need to discuss this stuff with a REAL pro, Ant at Secondskin is super-nice to talk with and is very patient. My next build (which may be a while since the G8 deal I was working on w/ a dealer fell straight through) will use his products exclusively, because of the way he takes care of his customers.
Yeah, I probably went overkill with the sound deadening. I probably could have got the underside and ceiling with those 2 gallons as well. I probably didn't need 100% coverage. Being that nothing is vibrating now, I could probably switch my attention to the foaming.

dandragonrage
05-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Some more about eD: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/296061-post54.html

Paniller
05-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Some more about eD: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/296061-post54.html
Does their new stuff still have the peeling problem? That post is over a year old, and seems to apply to their pre-butyl lineup.

dandragonrage
05-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Their "butyl" really means a small amount of butyl. They've claimed to have butyl for a while now.

Paniller
05-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Their "butyl" really means a small amount of butyl. They've claimed to have butyl for a while now.
I take it there's no standard for that? I was under the assumption that if you claimed something to be a certain material, it had to be XX% of that material by law. Otherwise, they could be sued for false advertising. I guess nobody's been bored enough to start the lawsuit? lol.

fourthmeal
05-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Dude...

You are talking about a company that blatantly stole a speaker design from a major manufacturer and built their own overseas. LOL...I don't think they care!

dandragonrage
05-20-2009, 08:03 AM
I take it there's no standard for that? I was under the assumption that if you claimed something to be a certain material, it had to be XX% of that material by law. Otherwise, they could be sued for false advertising. I guess nobody's been bored enough to start the lawsuit? lol.

There is no standard, no.

Also, this is America, land where you can sue for your coffee being too hot, but rarely get anywhere with a real suit like false advertising.

Paniller
05-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Dude...

You are talking about a company that blatantly stole a speaker design from a major manufacturer and built their own overseas. LOL...I don't think they care!
lol. Very true.