PDA

View Full Version : Tap, Tap, Tap...!

NAiLs
05-12-2009, 04:55 PM
I think I have gremlins in my car, but I'm not sure quite honestly. I really wish they'd get out if I do. Occasionally, after rolling and coming to a complete stop, I'll hear "Tap, Tap, Tap" come from the rear end of my car. WTF is this or could it be? It's always three taps and quite annoying.

Do I really have gremlins in my trunk, or what else could cause this? It's pretty audible as I was standing about 10 feet away from my car, engine running, and heard it. I've only noticed it when the motor has been running for only 1-10 minutes (short distance driven in that 10 minutes).

:wtf:

http://www.wheresmyparade.com/images/gremlin.jpg

jbradG8GT
05-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Could be a Trunk Monkey

KaheeNalu
05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I hear the same noise usually on cold mornings. I just assumed it is something warming up since it seems to happen around the same time after start up. Sounds almost like a vent might be opening.

todds87ss
05-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Heard of this...IIRC, Charlie knows why. Something about a solenoid for the fuel tank??? not sure, but it is not uncommon.

BlownG8GT
05-12-2009, 08:25 PM
EVAP Solenoid

GRRRR8
05-13-2009, 04:28 AM
Heard of this...IIRC, Charlie knows why. Something about a solenoid for the fuel tank??? not sure, but it is not uncommon.

EVAP Solenoid

Correct. Sorry for missing this last night

jbradG8GT
05-13-2009, 05:26 AM
so is it something to worry about?

GRRRR8
05-13-2009, 05:28 AM
Not that I can tell. Its just loud. You can always go the route I did and you cant hear anything! :)

jbradsh1
05-13-2009, 06:25 AM
Not that I can tell. Its just loud. You can always go the route I did and you cant hear anything! :)

Yes I could, but the external jet engines you have strapped on now are just too loud, that's all there is to it.

confused2much
05-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Yes I could, but the external jet engines you have strapped on now are just too loud, that's all there is to it.

But his car moves faster than the speed of sound, so he doesn't hear it at all.

NAiLs
05-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Well, glad to know I don't have gremlins or trunk monkeys!! lol

That solenoid is rather loud.... jeez. I guess I'll just ignore it if nothing is wrong. I'm mainly trying to compile a list of things to get fixed on my car and didn't know if this was something to add. (2-3 shifts, door rattle, sunroof problem, sway bar and strut bushings)

todds87ss
05-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Well, glad to know I don't have gremlins or trunk monkeys!! lol

That solenoid is rather loud.... jeez. I guess I'll just ignore it if nothing is wrong. I'm mainly trying to compile a list of things to get fixed on my car and didn't know if this was something to add. (2-3 shifts, door rattle, sunroof problem, sway bar and strut bushings)

While I am in no way advocating not getting deficient conditions fixed, consider the term "trunk monkey" and apply it to most folks working in service departments today - no offense.
I try to never let the dealership wrench on my car, until I have fully diagnosed the problem, and then point to the defective component and say "replace that!"
It sounds like your list is fairly normal though. Good luck!:)

NAiLs
05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
LOL @ Trunk Monkey comment.

If I had the time or knowledge to do the work on my car, I would. I can't say I've done work on suspension before, but want to learn. I'm scared as hell to do deep motor work on my own, so I usually have someone with me who knows a thing or two. Certain things I have no problem doing on my own, like exhaust work or ripping off the upper intake manifold.

RobA300
05-21-2009, 03:55 AM
It's always good to diagnose your problem and get as much info before you start fixing it or have somebody else do it. Another set of eyes is also handy to have.