PDA

View Full Version : Warped Rotors

Panzer Leader
05-12-2009, 12:34 PM
OK have 2600 miles on the car. When applying the brakes gently but forcefully I am getting the steering wheel left/right movement. Shop will check tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced possible warped rotors this early?

WhyteSS
05-12-2009, 12:44 PM
My rotors were warped before I bought the car. I noticed it right away on the test drive and had the dealership change them immediately.

BigRob
05-12-2009, 01:28 PM
yup, there is a brandishing procedure that must be done on new cars, and the dealer didnt do it to mine, so they felt warped at 1k. take it back to the dealer, they should turn them for you. mine did the front two after 3k miles. good luck! once they are turned, it will stop much better and feel much more solid. if one dealer doesnt want to do it, try a few, it was the second dealer that said they would turn them for free, because 3k miles is too soon for warped rotors.

Panzer Leader
05-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys for the info. Not familiar with term brandishing, please explain. Always felt a rubbing sensation of the pads. Also when I take my foot off the brake it seems that the pads are not releasing as fast as they should. Like they are still making contact with the rotors, especially on the drivers' side. I will closely check out the rotors tomorrow.

PaFromFL
05-12-2009, 08:18 PM
My brakes still pulsate a little at 1500 miles. I figured it might have something to do with uneven rotor rusting while in transit and sitting on the dealer lot. My speed averages around 25 mph, so the brakes don't get much exercise.

nugget
05-12-2009, 10:36 PM
i think there was a thread that mentioned this, although i cant find it now. i think it said that the pads just needed to be worn down a little from a brand new car, mine shimmied a bit when it was new, been gone for a while now, id say at around 2500-3000 miles it went away completely

Chewy
05-13-2009, 06:06 AM
This usually happens when people rotate wheels and tires and do not use a torque wrench to properly torque the lugs.

I always use a TW and I have 90,000 on my trucks rotors and have never replaced rotors on any of my previous vehicles. A lot of shops will either just buzz the lugs on with the impact or at best use torque sticks which IMO aren't as accurate as they need to be. The new composite rotors will warp MUCH easier than the old school ones.

Chris

BigRob
05-13-2009, 08:31 AM
i believe brandishing is when they speed up and brake hard a few times, just go to the dealer if you all are having issues, they shouldnt charge you for a thing, its a brand new car.

Panzer Leader
05-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Thanks Big Rob.

dandragonrage
05-18-2009, 08:32 AM
This usually happens when people rotate wheels and tires and do not use a torque wrench to properly torque the lugs.

I always use a TW and I have 90,000 on my trucks rotors and have never replaced rotors on any of my previous vehicles. A lot of shops will either just buzz the lugs on with the impact or at best use torque sticks which IMO aren't as accurate as they need to be. The new composite rotors will warp MUCH easier than the old school ones.

Chris

Good for you. I NEVER use a torque wrench and have not had it cause a problem even once. I guarantee you that you're far outnumbered by people like me. If you want to use the TW then that's fine, and it's not a bad idea, but please don't imply that it's necessary.

Also, what you do for new brakes is "bed in" the pads. Not sure where the term "brandishing" came from.

-Ray-
05-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I believe bedding the brakes also includes the rotors.
To bed the brakes make several runs up to 55 or so then brake hard to about 5 or 10 mph. Do not stop completely. Do this 4 or 5 times. Each time braking from 55 down to 5 or 10 mph. Drive vehicle for several miles to allow the rotors to cool.
Most brake pulsation is caused by hard spots in the rotors. Since the rotors are made of cast iron, there are some other materials in them that can harden from heat. These spots can cause a pulsation in the pedal if not corrected.
GM for the most part has not given great OEM rotors on recent models. However, if you are not abusing the brakes they shouldn't warp.

Oh: Standard disclaimer applies. IMHO :)

Panzer Leader
05-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Dealer checking rotors today. Tires Never rotated. Also checking the ball joints. Bushing and bearings replaced on front struts. Service Rep said that there is a TSB on noise from rear end, something to do with the exhaust. Anyone hear of this one? Will post update on all work after I pick up the car.