PDA

View Full Version : So, is there a way around using the stock deck for a system build?

fourthmeal
05-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Hello,

I'm just a few weeks from snapping up a G8 GT hopefully, but I noticed a troubling issue with these cars. That head unit looks 100% integrated into the vehicle, and worse yet it looks like no current product is out there that can change this. Even 50 Cent's GXP has the stock head unit!

Now, I'm used to working around stock deck limitations by installing processors in the stream, but I only like doing this if the stock deck is fully integrated. My question to the group is, have you seen or heard of any G8 that has an aftermarket head unit installed? If so, point me the way so I may evaluate what needs to be done.

Up to that point, I plan on transferring my current system to the new G8. This system includes a 3sixty.2 processor, Phoenix Gold RSd amps, DIYMA subs, and Alpine SPX-PRO components.

Thanks for your time.

norm8332
05-12-2009, 10:28 AM
The heating, AC controls are integrated into the HU I believe (or at least the screen), as well as other car settings.

DQGTO
05-12-2009, 01:14 PM
as said above the HVAC stuff is in it, making it a toughy to try to mess with. As of right now I personally havent heard of anyone changing it out.

fourthmeal
05-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Yikes.

Looks like you won't be hearing it from me, either. Good thing I've got the 3sixty.2!

Well anyway, I hope to snag a GT soon, and the build will follow soon thereafter. Thanks guys.

fourthmeal
05-13-2009, 11:59 AM
I just overheard in another thread that we have a center channel. Really? Anybody have a pic? The 3sixty.2 processor does 5.1.

G8GT721
05-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I just overheard in another thread that we have a center channel. Really? Anybody have a pic? The 3sixty.2 processor does 5.1.

top of page 8
http://www.jhp.com.au/g8partsdirect/InteriorAccessories/JHP-G8-Sports-Gauges-Instructions.pdf

dandragonrage
05-13-2009, 06:53 PM
You certainly don't need a 3sixty.2. You just need line-out converters.

fourthmeal
05-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Meh. I've got one already and when you go active, you don't go back. With a center channel processed correctly (the head unit won't be controlling it), I'll be able to image much more easily than with a traditional stereo setup. Win!

dandragonrage
05-14-2009, 05:00 AM
Never said the 3sixty.2 was bad though ;)

I had an active setup in my last car. Gotta get around to transferring it (well other than the HU)

fourthmeal
05-14-2009, 08:17 AM
I've been noticing there are some guys out there trying to do a screen overlay w/ this car. BRILLIANT, I say. I'm tapping my toes waiting for their results so I can decide if the pain is worth it. IMO, there's got to be another way. What the hell do the Aussie's do? There's no way an entire continent hasn't figured it out by now.

DQGTO
05-14-2009, 08:19 AM
PM Crazy Paul or one of those guys over there in AU and maybe they can direct you to what they are doin down there

fourthmeal
05-14-2009, 01:49 PM
LOL...I think I'm going to get my hands on the car first, but yeah he's probably the guy to reach when it comes time.