PDA

View Full Version : Intake and throttle body port review

wreckwriter
09-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Today I had the pleasure of meeting Jeremy Formato from http://www.fasterproms.net/index.html . He installed a ported intake manifold and throttle body on my G8. Jeremy is a really nice guy, did great work and didn't mind me hovering over him and asking questions while he did the job. This guy has a tremendous amount of LS knowledge and experience and doesn't mind sharing it.

I was given the opportunity to compare my stock manifold and TB with the pre-ported ones and the difference is much greater than I expected. Jeremy removes a lot of material from both and the finished product looks and works absolutely kick-ass.

As for performance, I noticed 2 things right off; throttle response is improved and, unexpectedly, my idle has smoothed out considerably. Hard to tell how much difference in WOT operation, will need to do a few timed runs but I expect this is going to really add to my overall performance in general when combined with the coming mods.

Jeremy normally does a tune after installing these but since I have a Vector tune which will be updated soon we skipped that. The cost for the porting and install was $400.

All in all I'm very pleased. It was great meeting Jeremy and, in my opinion, his product is top-notch. I highly recommend him.

GRRRR8
09-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Congrats Tom! Now I remeber when I had all the goodies, I am getting behind now! But we know that is temporary! LOL

wreckwriter
09-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Yea, I expect your lag is very temporary :)

EcoBrick Bob
09-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Tommy is AHEAD!!!!!

Houston to Charlie......

I am like stuck in the MUDDDDD....

:angeldevil:

GeorgeInNePa
09-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Both Chris and Kirk @ VMS have told me I will not require a re-tune after doing the ported intake and ported and polished TB.

Maybe next week, I don't want to fall behind, too far...

wreckwriter
09-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Nah, I'm not ahead. Lots of my shit is still piled up in my living room in boxes :(

George, agreed, not required but Jeremy said there are things which can be tweaked to maximize the effect of the porting.

GeorgeInNePa
09-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Did he say what those things are?

;)

Chewy
09-05-2008, 08:01 PM
When it comes to being behind I think I have y'all beat! Thanks for the review.

Mike P
09-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Today I had the pleasure of meeting Jeremy Formato from http://www.fasterproms.net/index.html . He installed a ported intake manifold and throttle body on my G8. Jeremy is a really nice guy, did great work and didn't mind me hovering over him and asking questions while he did the job. This guy has a tremendous amount of LS knowledge and experience and doesn't mind sharing it.

I was given the opportunity to compare my stock manifold and TB with the pre-ported ones and the difference is much greater than I expected. Jeremy removes a lot of material from both and the finished product looks and works absolutely kick-ass.

As for performance, I noticed 2 things right off; throttle response is improved and, unexpectedly, my idle has smoothed out considerably. Hard to tell how much difference in WOT operation, will need to do a few timed runs but I expect this is going to really add to my overall performance in general when combined with the coming mods.

Jeremy normally does a tune after installing these but since I have a Vector tune which will be updated soon we skipped that. The cost for the porting and install was $400.

All in all I'm very pleased. It was great meeting Jeremy and, in my opinion, his product is top-notch. I highly recommend him.

Yea, nice review! I definitely want to get these 2 things done!

wreckwriter
09-06-2008, 04:22 AM
Did he say what those things are?

;)

A couple of tables to be tweaked. I've asked him to email me details. I will, of course, share.

Ghouse1803
09-06-2008, 05:37 AM
will this show any hp gains on the dyno?

wreckwriter
09-06-2008, 05:39 AM
will this show any hp gains on the dyno?

Yes, 5-8 I expect.

GRRRR8
09-06-2008, 06:47 AM
I think it would be a lot more if it had a cam and heads. From what I read 20 on a modded motor hint hint. lol

wreckwriter
09-06-2008, 06:53 AM
I think it would be a lot more if it had a cam and heads. From what I read 20 on a modded motor hint hint. lol

Yep :)

97darkknight
09-08-2008, 01:53 AM
I actually got the same combo from him the next day plus a street tune and the car without a dobt feels so much better. He does great work and very informative.

Blackdevil77
09-08-2008, 04:18 AM
Damn! Formato's fasterproms INC. is about 20 hours away from me. Nothing is close to me darn it.

wreckwriter
09-08-2008, 04:55 AM
Damn! Formato's fasterproms INC. is about 20 hours away from me. Nothing is close to me darn it.

Do it by mail.

Chewy
09-08-2008, 05:06 AM

You must live next door to me...:bye: