PDA

View Full Version : STS Turbo - Who's Interested

kbuckert
05-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I have contacted STS Turbo and am currently in discussions with them about developing 2 set-ups...

1) smaller twin turbos
2) larger single turbo with the same HP an dpotential as the twins, but cheaper!

If anyone is interested, please let me know, they are looking to see if there is enough interest for them to develop both set-ups. For both packages I think it is safe to say there will be ~550RWHP. The stock HP on my G8GT is 298 and I fully expect 550+:woohoo:. (Please remember this is a estimate since they have not developed the kit yet)

If you dont know, STS is a complete remote mount turbo package that mounts into stock holes and does not require significant amounts of knowledge/skill to install. The kits will be the equilivant of an axle back kit with all of the tubing/oil lines/other accessories included in the kit except for an AFR & Boost Gauge.

If you are interested, please let me know and I can set you up with them:beer: as the more people they have interested, the sooner it will be developed! There will also be a significant price break on the development kits.

-Ray-
05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Why is it me to always be the 1st one to run across these threads?
Now I have to go search for the other thread.

LOL it was closed. I'm guessing this one won't stand the test of time either.

Devilish34
05-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Why is it me to always be the 1st one to run across these threads?
Now I have to go search for the other thread.

LOL it was closed. I'm guessing this one won't stand the test of time either.

Fate

BlownG8GT
05-07-2009, 01:12 PM
252 more HP on just boost?

kbuckert
05-07-2009, 01:15 PM
STS has the complete system, boost, injectors, innercooler, and the tune! It is a complete bolt-on system that can make good power with no other mods!

DQGTO
05-07-2009, 01:15 PM
why is it always with STS that we get these lol. VENDOR???

kbuckert
05-07-2009, 01:19 PM
why is it always with STS that we get these lol. VENDOR???
Na, I'm just a guy that likes to go fast...I have liked STS for quite a while and figure that this will wrap up all of my spends on this car for quite a while :)

confused2much
05-07-2009, 01:22 PM
...and figure that this will wrap up all of my spends on this car for quite a while :)

Ha, you will always want more! It's only natural though.

-Ray-
05-07-2009, 01:22 PM
STS has the complete system, boost, injectors, innercooler, and the tune! It is a complete bolt-on system that can make good power with no other mods!

No one is doubting STS could fab up a rear mount turbo for a G8. Like the other guy who came in here with his STS story it was his 1st post.
It was your 2nd post. Most members start in the thread for introductions, not trying to get interest in something not many here even care about.

Steve
05-07-2009, 01:42 PM
deja-vu anyone..
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=5577

MGMG8GT
05-07-2009, 02:01 PM
What is with these damned STS posts. They are on the other boards too. China made crap, rust, boost delay, oil return problems, blah blah blah blah -- close the thread. Same thing every time.

Ktlplxm
05-07-2009, 02:11 PM
What is with these damned STS posts. They are on the other boards too. China made crap, rust, boost delay, oil return problems, blah blah blah blah -- close the thread. Same thing every time.

Some people just like em... never understood it myself, having installed the systems on numerous vehicles. Unless they are a 1/4 of the price of something else, they just aren't worth it (to some)

mystic98ls1
05-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Its amazing how all you G8 owners are quick to bash a product just because you dont want it. Here again It says STS WHO IS INTRESTED???? I am am disappointed how fellow G8 owners treat each other, we do this as a hobby and for fun. I didnt get my car to be ridiculed by fellow owners. Im sure other people on her feel the same way.

-Ray-
05-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Its amazing how all you G8 owners are quick to bash a product just because you dont want it. Here again It says STS WHO IS INTRESTED???? I am am disappointed how fellow G8 owners treat each other, we do this as a hobby and for fun. I didnt get my car to be ridiculed by fellow owners. Im sure other people on her feel the same way.

You still don't seem to get it. We have authorized STS vendors on this web site, yet we have now two members trying to strike up orders. Neither one of you at this present moment are going to be able to set up a group buy on this product.

You are the only other person interested. BTW, I haven't seen a single post where someone ridiculed your car. Point that out to me if I missed it.
It's a public forum with many personalities. Some people don't like 20" wheels, some do.
The point still is, let the forum get to know you 1st before you jump on here trying to move STS product.
Out of all the products available for the G8, STS is the only one to get exposure like this.

Ktlplxm
05-07-2009, 03:02 PM

It isn't bashing, its an opinionated rebuttal from those of us who have dealt with STS products. Sure, we may be guilty of responding in an admittedly biased manner (due to the poorly manufactured product causing numerous headaches to a good portion of us), but if we did not do our duty to the uninformed and easily mislead, many could be lead astray by the vastly overrated performance promises of STS. Bashing would have been one of us stating that "poorly made chinese crap" is in fact a compliment; that it is in all actuality a product whose only realistic claim to fame is that it sold more than two units. It became popular because of its "whippee" appeal. Nothing more, nothing less. "Oooh, look I have turbos! I make great numbers but for some reason, I still lose to almost everything with an ignition" We say its junk for the simple fact that everyone we've seen IS. Maybe someone else on the board has something positive. Maybe the people who are proud of the STS system are just keeping quiet in the background with knowing smiles on their faces, and maybe as part of an incentive they'll sell a TORNADO to install inline for another 50hp and 20 mpg, but then again maybe not. None of us has said its the WORST thing out there (mainly because Charlie doesn't like for us to), so cut us a little slack.

G8GT721
05-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Time of death( )....Ray fill in the time for me lol

kjmccart
05-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Na, I'm just a guy that likes to go fast...I have liked STS for quite a while and figure that this will wrap up all of my spends on this car for quite a while :)

Does STS have some sort of price?

mystic98ls1
05-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Yea But since they dont sponsor the price cant be posted :)

kbuckert
05-07-2009, 05:30 PM
wow...this is entertaining...I am a fellow G8'er, a car enthusiast, and an engineer, I have not been around STS but have followed them for quite some time. I do not have personal experience with STS, but am just aware that they are looking for people to verify their designs...and like most aftermarket companies they are willing to reduce price to verify that design. Point and case: K&N used my car for development of their air intake kit...I get a free intake.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I have no problems with that. I am just telling people that STS needs interest to develop any G8 kits. PM me and I will give you the name & number of the guy I am talking with at STS (I dont even know final price yet other than it is cheaper than retail), I would rather not post his name for him to save face as it is not professional. I am not a dealer, vendor, and have no interest in selling STS products, just interested in getting a turbo kit fabbed up. Please leave the bashing out and if you have experience, share it and help the rest of us.

MtbDoc
05-07-2009, 07:19 PM
wow...this is entertaining...I am a fellow G8'er, a car enthusiast, and an engineer, I have not been around STS but have followed them for quite some time. I do not have personal experience with STS, but am just aware that they are looking for people to verify their designs...and like most aftermarket companies they are willing to reduce price to verify that design. Point and case: K&N used my car for development of their air intake kit...I get a free intake.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I have no problems with that. I am just telling people that STS needs interest to develop any G8 kits. PM me and I will give you the name & number of the guy I am talking with at STS (I dont even know final price yet other than it is cheaper than retail), I would rather not post his name for him to save face as it is not professional. I am not a dealer, vendor, and have no interest in selling STS products, just interested in getting a turbo kit fabbed up. Please leave the bashing out and if you have experience, share it and help the rest of us.

Well, let me tell you about EXPERIENCE with STS. I had the first turbocharged LS2 in the country by adapting a kit from an LS1 GTO. They were QUITE MISTAKEN when I was told the kit would bolt right up. There were other issues that they let drag out for a while. Now, they tried to rectify things, and overall seemed to be nice people. But ultimately the product didn't perform as I wanted. I can post some VERY NICE dyno graphs from that setup, but the actually driving experience out on the road just wasn't what I wanted. I have been quite objective about my experience. Given that I actually have had an STS turbocharged Holden, I have valid information.

They used a Garrett turbo and Tial wastegate, but the fabrication of their pipes was TERRIBLE. The weld quality, "coating" (which was horribly thin and does NOT prevent rust QUICKLY), and other parts were worth nowhere near what they were charging. Even at a SUBSTANTIAL discount I was not thrilled. My GenTT was a much better performer AND better bang for the buck.

Saving 20% is off their retail is NOT worth it.

Is that better?

Ktlplxm
05-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Hmm sounds like almost every STS owner I've ever dealt with

GeorgeInNePa
05-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Yea But since they dont sponsor the price cant be posted :)

What part of "there are Vendors here who sell STS products" is so hard to understand?

Notice the thread is still open?

If STS needs a G8 to use to make a G8 specific kit, I'm sure someone will step forward to volunteer. All they need to do is say so.

We're just curious why this comes from single digit posters and not from an STS vendor.

kbuckert
05-07-2009, 09:37 PM
just my thoughts: the individuals are contacting STS directly...not vendors? IDK...I dont sell any car parts and STS point blank told me that the speed that they develop the kits will be based on the interest they have. The person who posted the previous thread is donating his car for the development, they just want to have about 10cars lined up to verify everything is in the packages and the directions in the packages are clear for install.

I dont want to sound off, but I did work with K&N on their intake kits, they required 2 cars to verify numbers and design before beginning any manufacturing. I think this is similar to what STS wants: they dont want to build a kit for 1-2 cars and then never sell another one, they want to ensure there is a market available or they simply wont produce the kits.

This is just my opinion and what I have learned from talking directly with STS. They want to ensure that their research (design) is justified.

-Ray-
05-08-2009, 03:24 AM
STS doesn't have a GRRRR8 following on this forum. This is the "If it has to be fast" forum, and STS hasn't proven they can do that here.

Ktlplxm
05-08-2009, 05:26 AM
STS doesn't have a GRRRR8 following on this forum. This is the "If it has to be fast" forum, and STS hasn't proven they can do that here.

Have they "proven" that anywhere?

-Ray-
05-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Well, there was the 1 corvette.
I only care about this forum personally.

MGMG8GT
05-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Well, if STS is interested in paying me/donating a free system to experiment on my car -- I invite them to do so. I'll post pictures, videos, etc. I mean, all they are doing is trying to garner interest in developing a system, right?

I think there are other vendors/manuf. on this forum that have had success with the "If we make a good product, people will buy it" mindset. A recent group buy comes to mind. STS has the issue in that they do not have a completely proven track record, and have not really taken any interest, save for sending some lemmings over, to try and sell their products.

Other manuf/vendors here have taken an interest in building quality kits for our cars. I see no reason to stray from the current line up.

:flame::wacko:

kbuckert
05-08-2009, 08:46 AM
STS is not paying, and not donating 100%, but they are giving an extremely discounted system...they are interested in the development of their system...I am not saying it is the best by any means, nor the worst, but a system much under what is also available on the market for the same HP gains, I am willing to try it...

I can tell that some ppl have had problems, which leads me to the point of...if it has been a problem in the past, take precautionary measures to ensure it is not in the future. It seems as though oil returns/coolers has been a major issue (from a few different posts/sites/forums), so why not put an oil pressure gauge in the system to ensure everything is fine...at least a dummy lite. All power adders have there benefits and downfalls, it all depends on what each individual user is looking for...

P.S. Thank you all for the apparent change in attitude, I am looking for the input and do apprecaite knowing problems from the past so that anyone can take the necessary measures to prevent damage to their vehicle.

mystic98ls1
05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Well, there was the 1 corvette.
I only care about this forum personally.

Well I know you are the moderator but you trully dont know what you are talking about on this! There are several GTO's, Vette's, and Camaros running in the 10's with STS kits. There are also quite a few Vette's running in the low 9's. SO I think they have proved that they can go fast.Not to include all the 800-900 hp vipers running STS kits. Just go on youtube and check it out if you doubt it. Not trying to cause trouble it just seems like way to much crap being said on here from everyone, esp since the kit is not even done yet. I could care less If me and kbucket are the only two people in the world with STS kits on our cars!!

-Ray-
05-08-2009, 09:25 AM
The problem I see here is the G8 is not going to be considered main stream for the purposes of turbo charging. Also, considering the model is being killed off by GM doesn't help.
I see the Charger and the new Camaro are already on their web site for kits though.

The advantage of Magnason products is they bolt to an engine that is widely available with little changes needed for different variations.

Ktlplxm
05-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Well I know you are the moderator but you trully dont know what you are talking about on this! There are several GTO's, Vette's, and Camaros running in the 10's with STS kits. There are also quite a few Vette's running in the low 9's. SO I think they have proved that they can go fast.Not to include all the 800-900 hp vipers running STS kits. Just go on youtube and check it out if you doubt it. Not trying to cause trouble it just seems like way to much crap being said on here from everyone, esp since the kit is not even done yet. I could care less If me and kbucket are the only two people in the world with STS kits on our cars!!

The things that are being said aren't about "this" kit, its the STS systems in general. And yes you are correct in the fact that there are several rear mounted turbo cars running at those speeds, you however either do not realize or have not been informed that those cars are not running the true STS system but rather a STS-esque system. Almost every little part of the original system has been replaced with something better than what was provided. Often the entire kit has been redesigned a piece at a time constantly trying to make it work. That's like saying a Zex powered vehicle ran 9's (after the lines have been changed, a Wilson bottle substituted, an Edelbrock progressor was added, and the solenoid were replaced with NOS Pro Race's, and injected through a Nitrous Express NXL set-up) Keep spouting the hp numbers on the Vipers, it just proves the earlier argument regarding their wonderful dyno potential...that's it. Who can't make 800-900 hp on a V10 through forced induction? If you truly could care less about being the only two people with it on your cars, why are you gauging other people's interest. You asked a question and it was answered honestly. It is not right to get mad because people disagree for very viable reasons.

mystic98ls1
05-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I am not mad at the people with viable points just the hear sayers. I dont care about an honest opinion but 1 will do, not someone just getting on here to bash them.I like to here all the information just not the bashing! I have put alot of money into this kit for my car and just want honest replies not DI#@S on her acting like everything else is better. Some like nitrous some dont, some like roots, some like centrifical, some like turbos and some like an all motor car. We dont get on here and trash a guy for doing these things noing he can make the same power by throwing a 600.00 nitrous kit on his car nor do we bash the product. Not trying to be an ass to anyone on this forum because we are all on here for the same reason, the passion we have for our cars. Lets have fun with it!!!

MtbDoc
05-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Dude, your act is getting old. I tried the STS as the FIRST LS2 GTO...and I unloaded it. Not a performance compromise many are willing to make. Your continual whining and pleading are clearly the mark of an insecure person trying to convince himself (by convincing others) that he is making the right choice.

Tell you what: just BUILD YOUR STS car. LIVE with it. Get out and play with other G8's....and THEN come back singing the STS song.

And yes, I am a professional, before you ask. Car forums are really getting old...this one was actually quite enjoyable (especially compared to the infomercial board...but THEY don't like you either!). Actually, it still is. Just STOP IT!!!

Enjoy your rear mount. Load the converter and you can run fast at the strip. Just be careful when you are out on the open road and someone 'punches it' on you. As you are waiting for the exhaust flow to heat up and maintain enough flow through the turbo, you will remember than annoying doctor that tried to tell you otherwise.

mystic98ls1
05-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Dude, your act is getting old. I tried the STS as the FIRST LS2 GTO...and I unloaded it. Not a performance compromise many are willing to make. Your continual whining and pleading are clearly the mark of an insecure person trying to convince himself (by convincing others) that he is making the right choice.

Tell you what: just BUILD YOUR STS car. LIVE with it. Get out and play with other G8's....and THEN come back singing the STS song.

And yes, I am a professional, before you ask. Car forums are really getting old...this one was actually quite enjoyable (especially compared to the infomercial board...but THEY don't like you either!). Actually, it still is. Just STOP IT!!!

Enjoy your rear mount. Load the converter and you can run fast at the strip. Just be careful when you are out on the open road and someone 'punches it' on you. As you are waiting for the exhaust flow to heat up and maintain enough flow through the turbo, you will remember than annoying doctor that tried to tell you otherwise.

As I stated again and again you had an STS there for you can gripe all you want, but to get on here and say I make a whole board unenjoyable OK!!!
If you dont like what I have to say stop reading it then. I dont pick the posts you read. When my car gets back I will be more than happy to run other cars and If I loose who gives a shit, I am not trying to have the fastest G8 on the planet. I am building my car for me, not for you to approve of!! The point of all this was to see the interest. You obviously have some intrest because you keep getting on the threads. If you dont just stay off them and enjoy your forum :)

-Ray-
05-09-2009, 04:09 AM
When you get you car back, post your results. This thread is locked.