PDA

View Full Version : adding amp & subs help needed

mpan1
05-06-2009, 06:06 PM
my friend has a 09 g8 and hes trying to put a amp & subs in it so I have 3 questions.

1. Is there RCA cable hookups on the back of the stock head unit
2. if so I need to know how to get to the hookups. we found out how to get to the sides of the head unit but we couldn't find any hookups. We were told they were there so I'm assuming there on the back. but we couldn't figure out how to get it out any further.
3. Any tips on where to hook the remote wire?

Any help would b greatly appreciated

p71
05-06-2009, 08:21 PM
1. No
2. See 1
3. PM me and i will tell you about my setup which you may or may not like.

majesticix
05-07-2009, 03:57 AM
I tapped into the sub amp in the trunk. I used a line out converter for my patch cables and tapped into the speaker wires going into the amp (see diagram below)

http://www.g8board.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=947&d=1210276910

Just connect a line level converter to the L/R Rear Speaker leads (PINS 1,2 and 6,7) and for your remote wire I used a low voltage trigger like this:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=370

and again, tap into the wires going into the amp. You'll tap the battery positive, ground, and any speaker wire of your choosing. Works like a charm. Good luck!

p71
05-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Get you a trunk-loc this taps into your oe sub wires and downcoverts the output from speaker level to preamp, run that to your amp and then your speakers.

Tying into the battery is easy cause it is right in the trunk. The Trunk-loc also provides a turn on signal to your amp when it senses power to the speakers... in other words your amp and subs will turn on a fraction of a second after your stock system does.

majesticix
05-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Damn, wish I spotted that trunk-loc! Would have saved me some coin and hassle (not that it was difficult, just more wires to tap)!

MattCHowell
06-05-2010, 07:19 AM
I know I'm late, but what about the remote wire? I have the trunk loc from my G6, do i still need a low voltage trigger? I'm just trying to keep everything in the trunk...