PDA

View Full Version : a bit P/O-ed with my tune

Blackdevil77
09-04-2008, 06:40 PM
I do like the guys down at Kaltech, they are awsome but i definitely DO think they need more toying around with the G8 to tune it properly. Whatever they did, they did make it more fun to drive but anyone who saw the dynograph and knows the G8 KNOWS that there is more in it. They picked up 14 hp from a 93 octane ECM/TCM tune when i've heard of tuners picking up more with an 87 octane tune. What really got to me was tonight, i decided to see what it can do. First i nailed it in regular drive mode and to my unpleasant surprise, the car shifted at around 5800 rpm. Instead of raising the rev limiter by 200 like i asked a few times, they decreased it. Then i popped it into sport mode and did the same thing again. This time it shifts at 5500 rpm!!!! What gives! while the shifts are nicer now and more fun to drive regularly, the car got slowed down when flooring it! I just gotta get the VMS tune. No other way to go. Just don't know how since i don't have a credit card and they are over 13 hours away from me. :(

norm8332
09-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Raising the shift points is a bit more complicated than just putting in a new number. You have to do several things in several tables in the tune according to my research. I dont know how experenced they are but someone may have tried a shortcut.

I ordered HP Tuners VCM suite and have been doing some reasearch into tuning the trans. I'm very far from an expert, thats for sure!

Maybe someone who has done tunes on this trans could chime in.

GTPprix
09-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Raising the shift points is a bit more complicated than just putting in a new number. You have to do several things in several tables in the tune according to my research. I dont know how experenced they are but someone may have tried a shortcut.

I ordered HP Tuners VCM suite and have been doing some reasearch into tuning the trans. I'm very far from an expert, thats for sure!

Maybe someone who has done tunes on this trans could chime in.

If you read some of the posts on some of the forums the guys who added the parameters to the software dont even know what quite a few of them do... Tuning this trans seriously is dangerous (at least financially) especially when the people MAKING the software dont know what the majority of the parameters they can edit do ;)

We've been tuning A6's longer than anyone and its about 10x more complicated than a 4 speed but then again when you have the right knowledge AND the right software it becomes alot easier!

Blackdevil we can help you out just let me know when you are ready.

GeorgeInNePa
09-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Give Kaltech a call, discuss it with them, maybe they can change a few things and make you happy.

Blackdevil77
09-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Blackdevil we can help you out just let me know when you are ready.

As soon as i scrounge up the money i'll be giving you a call. I just wish i didn't spend the 350 on the kaltech tune. Again, not saying they did a bad job, it is an improvement and i love the guys down there, they are awsome, they just don't have the know how you guys have. I just wish i didn't live over 640 miles away from you guys lol.

Blackdevil77
09-05-2008, 04:40 AM
Give Kaltech a call, discuss it with them, maybe they can change a few things and make you happy.

I'm not sure they know how to do much with the tranny. They were telling me how complicated it is. Then they asked me if they could keep the car there overnight to figure more of it out. I don't think things would get much better unless i did that but i need the car everyday. Steve over there DID offer me his hayabusa sports bike to borrow while they had the car hahaha

Chewy
09-05-2008, 04:55 AM
As soon as i scrounge up the money i'll be giving you a call. I just wish i didn't spend the 350 on the kaltech tune. Again, not saying they did a bad job, it is an improvement and i love the guys down there, they are awsome, they just don't have the know how you guys have. I just wish i didn't live over 640 miles away from you guys lol.

You can do it all in your driveway! :woohoo:

I plan on using VMS but I'm not sure how yet... I would like to go there in person and get a custom tune but it's like 8 hours from me. I'll probably just do the mail order tune.

Blackdevil77
09-05-2008, 04:59 AM
You can do it all in your driveway! :woohoo:

I plan on using VMS but I'm not sure how yet... I would like to go there in person and get a custom tune but it's like 8 hours from me. I'll probably just do the mail order tune.

I believe the mail order tune is a custom tune. You e-mail them your car info and they tune it.

Chewy
09-05-2008, 05:04 AM
I believe the mail order tune is a custom tune. You e-mail them your car info and they tune it.

Correct! Mail order... lol They send you the stuff to do it though.

G8GTlawride
09-12-2008, 07:58 PM
I did the mail order thing with the Flashxpress. Once I got past the computer issues with Wreckwriter's help (Thanks again!), it was an absolute beast! What a difference just the tranny program does! I already had VMS's tuned ECM but not the FXP. There is a lot of performance to gain by tuning the TCM. I say all this to say that there is nothing wrong with the mail order (boxed) tune if what you are doing is not unusual (headers, CAI,...). If that company cannot "fix" the tranny tune, get the FXP and tune them both! You'll be glad you did.

G8V8
09-13-2008, 03:50 AM
VMS has been nothing but super to deal with and their tunes rock!