PDA

View Full Version : Trans Cooler install

edmanet
05-05-2009, 03:23 PM
LIVERNOIS installed the cooler when they put the converter in the car. I'll see if
I can get better photos tomorrow. Its raining and I don't have much room in the garage.

Trans lines behind the radiator
http://mystudios.com/g8/g8-translines.jpg

Cooler mounted on driver side in lower cowl.
{I'll see how hard it is to take off the grill to get a better photo.}
http://mystudios.com/g8/g8-cooler.jpg

ronbuick
05-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks, it would be nice if Livernois would do a write of the install, or any gotcha's while doing the install too, and if any special tools are needed.

Ron

Andy@Livernois
05-06-2009, 11:34 AM
we haven't really posted anything about a kit or an install because we had to weld AN adapters to the cooler lines, then run braided to the cooler, then back to the lines. It isn't an install most people could do themselves unfortunately... Trust me, I had hoped to be able to put a kit together bu GM no longer threads the transmissions, it now uses a bolt on flange adapter with swedged fittings.

ronbuick
05-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Could you please tell me which line coming out of the trans is the return line, the top or bottom, I thought I would cut the 3/8 rubber line at the front of the engine and use a barbed coupler and run it to the cooler and then back, I picked up a B&M cooler when I bought the car in Jan. I'm a believer in aux. trans coolers, especially if running the car hard or a little spirited driving, since these cars run at about 200-210 deg. it makes it hard to remove heat from the trans when the heat exchanger or rad. is already at a high temp, thanks.

Ron

g8_795
05-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Could you please tell me which line coming out of the trans is the return line, the top or bottom, I thought I would cut the 3/8 rubber line at the front of the engine and use a barbed coupler and run it to the cooler and then back, I picked up a B&M cooler when I bought the car in Jan. I'm a believer in aux. trans coolers, especially if running the car hard or a little spirited driving, since these cars run at about 200-210 deg. it makes it hard to remove heat from the trans when the heat exchanger or rad. is already at a high temp, thanks.

Ron

If you are sitting in the driver seat, the return line is on the left coming out of the radiator. I don't know if it is the top or bottom on the trans.

Alvin
05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
You guys might be interested in a cooler kit we are coming out with.

Here are a couple rough pictures. The lines we have made plug into the stock fittings just left of the crank pulley and then again at the radiator so there is no cutting or modifications to the lines required. We designed the brackets to bolt into factory holes in the bumper. The brackets are all laser cut and powder coated.

We have the brackets and coolers all ready. We have enough brackets made for 50 kits. Our only hang up right now is some of the factory quick disconnect fittings. We have been struggling for the past couple weeks to get any in as they seem to be back ordered or on temporary hiatus. As soon as these are available to us we will be releasing the kit.

NOTE: The only cutting/modification required to the vehicle can be seen in one of these two pictures. If you look the air dam is trimmed around the lines.

GRRRR8
05-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Nice work Alvin! This is something many are waiting for.

GeorgeInNePa
05-07-2009, 09:10 PM

Here are a couple rough pictures. The lines we have made plug into the stock fittings just left of the crank pulley and then again at the radiator so there is no cutting or modifications to the lines required. We designed the brackets to bolt into factory holes in the bumper. The brackets are all laser cut and powder coated.

We have the brackets and coolers all ready. We have enough brackets made for 50 kits. Our only hang up right now is some of the factory quick disconnect fittings. We have been struggling for the past couple weeks to get any in as they seem to be back ordered or on temporary hiatus. As soon as these are available to us we will be releasing the kit.

NOTE: The only cutting/modification required to the vehicle can be seen in one of these two pictures. If you look the air dam is trimmed around the lines.

Very nice!

What kind of temp reduction are you getting with that?

BluYa76
05-08-2009, 06:24 AM
This is what I've been waiting for! :woohoo: I remember a vendor doing the same thing to the TB SS guys and later releasing it for lesser powered (and fun TB's) with all plug and play lines. Count me in for one when you do release it.

Ktlplxm
05-08-2009, 06:49 AM

Alvin let me know when you have an extra one ready... I'll bring the car to you. Maybe you can do a quick install with pics for the people interested

zosoboogie
05-08-2009, 07:42 AM
what kind of tranny cooler is it and where can I get it

incon3037r
05-08-2009, 08:21 AM

Are these going to have a steel braided hose option?

Alvin
05-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Very nice!

What kind of temp reduction are you getting with that?

We are seeing about a 25 degree reduction on a stock vehicle. On a car with an aftermarket torque converter you will see a larger drop. It will make a big difference on trans longevity especially with a high stall torque converter.

This is what I've been waiting for! :woohoo: I remember a vendor doing the same thing to the TB SS guys and later releasing it for lesser powered (and fun TB's) with all plug and play lines. Count me in for one when you do release it.

Yep, We are the ones doing them for the trailblazer and trailblazer SS's.

Alvin let me know when you have an extra one ready... I'll bring the car to you. Maybe you can do a quick install with pics for the people interested

We can do one immediately for a in house install. Call us for more info. Labor time to install is 1 hour.

Are these going to have a steel braided hose option?

Likely not, We really designed this kit not to stand out to much. We wanted a very factory looking kit so we used the exact same hose spec as what was used on the factory lines. We also use black brackets, black cooler, and black oxide hardware for a factory look.

Greg@PacePerformance
05-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Just doing some digging. The GXP auto trans cooler is the same one used on the XLR. Now if I can find the part number for the stock lines....

wreckwriter
05-08-2009, 11:27 AM
My shop was able to install a regular B&M Supercooler on mine with no problems.

zosoboogie
05-08-2009, 02:29 PM
My shop was able to install a regular B&M Supercooler on mine with no problems.

was that an oil cooler or a transmission cooler??

ronbuick
05-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm sure he meant trans cooler, now does the front fascia need to be removed for this install, or can you do this by removing bottom sheild. thanks.

Ron

GRRRR8
05-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm sure he meant trans cooler, now does the front fascia need to be removed for this install, or can you do this by removing bottom sheild. thanks.

Ron

Yes. Removing the nose piece takes 5-10 minutes.

GeorgeInNePa
05-12-2009, 06:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/GeorgeInNePa/Comedy/1223698961467.jpg

GRRRR8
05-12-2009, 06:45 PM
George your issues are much deeper then I thought. :wacko: lol

sweetair
05-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm looking for a kit when it is available. Keep up the good work.

BluYa76
05-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Like I said I will surely be picking a kit up from you Alvin when they do come available. After seeing the quality work you guys put into the kit for the TB's and Envoy's I can not wait. Unfortunately I did not get the kit for my TB cause I had already installed a B&M cooler prior to your release of your kits. Keep us updated cause I'm sure you'll sell quite a few kits.

Alvin
05-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. We are always trying to come up with new ideas and bringing them to the market with excellent engineering.

Don't forget made in the USA

GeorgeInNePa
05-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. We are always trying to come up with new ideas and bringing them to the market with excellent engineering.

Don't forget made in the USA

Please let me know when the kit is available. I need a cooler and I like everything in one big box.

:)

steined
05-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Do you have to add fluid when you add a cooler?

GRRRR8
05-13-2009, 01:47 PM

It must be checked and I would guess a QT max should do it. Follow fluid fill/checking procedures to the T.

Alvin
05-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Please let me know when the kit is available. I need a cooler and I like everything in one big box.

:)

Hey we have them on our website. Check them out, they should start shipping by the end of the week or early next week. GRRRR8 is getting the second cooler. First cooler is on my own car.

http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=84#g8gt

Yes you absolutely do. We can provide you with 2 quarts if you wish or you can pick some up at your local dealership. Our instructions have a section just for the refill.

Again, the kits are available on our website.
http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=84#g8gt

Hopefully it won't be copied like some of our other products have been. oh well hate to sound bitter :nud:

grandmacpubah
05-13-2009, 07:28 PM
noob question here...I'm assuming this is still a good idea even if I don't have a torque convertor? or is that overkill?

Alvin
05-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Definitely wouldn't hurt but in all honestly not needed like other platforms (like tbss). That hurts sales I know but honest to god truth.

BluYa76
05-14-2009, 04:06 AM
Hey Alvin,

How long do think the back order will be on the replacement line?

Alvin
05-14-2009, 05:06 AM
Thats honestly up to pontiac, as soon as you can get some we will have them.

Dr. Dana Miller
05-14-2009, 07:29 AM
noob question here...I'm assuming this is still a good idea even if I don't have a torque convertor? or is that overkill?

As Alvin replied, there is really no need to install an auxillary cooler with the stock torque convertor as the factory set-up does a good job of keeping the temps. under control. While it wouldn't hurt to have an extra cooler in warm weather, if you drive the car in cold weather such as winter in the mid-west, you really don't want to have extra cooling of the trans. then, because it is possible to run the trans. too cool in those conditions, which is not good for trans. operation. It is designed to run/operate within a temperature window and anything too far outside of that window (either too hot or too cold) can be determental to proper operation and this will affect trans. life in the long run.