PDA

View Full Version : Staggered wheels on G8 GT

charliecar
05-01-2009, 11:00 AM
im needing any help you can give me. im wanting to go wide as possible on back, stock on front.

question is how wide can i go and what offsets do i need in rear.

also ive been reading about having my stock rims widened. any thoughts or input on this will be helpful. i have no tire or wheel size knowledge so treat me as stupid!! just need some help!!!

thanks
charlie
north texas

-Ray-
05-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Read the threads stupid. LOL Just kidding though, but thanks for the prompt.

Spend some time reading some of the tire and wheel threads. There's plenty of info posted to get you pretty knowledgeable

PantherGTBlack
05-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Read the threads stupid. LOL Just kidding though, but thanks for the prompt.

Spend some time reading some of the tire and wheel threads. There's plenty of info posted to get you pretty knowledgeable

Down Ray, Down....hahaha.

MGMG8GT
05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I thought about staggering. But, with no plans of lowering the car, I doubt I will. Probably just going to go the widest I can go on all 4 corners.

Ktlplxm
05-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Lmao.. seriously though, just read the threads. This has been argues to death, and gets brought up every week. Someone comes on, swears they can fit a 295 or 305 or 315, starts an argument, then a week or two later comes back and says it wouldn't. Take into account what your future plans are for the car (ie anything suspension related) and then look at the users cars. Find a set-up you like, and order it. Most of these wheels aren't multi offsets so getting the right one is easy. Biggest piece of advice would be to listen to those that have wheels, not those that have read and reread all the post and "know" what should fit

EcoBrick Bob
05-01-2009, 12:33 PM
I have posted many times about my experiences with 285's on rear w/ 45 offset and 275's on rear w/35 offset. Also posted about friend "Snowbird" who shredded his 285 Michelins using a 35 offset wheel. Some have done 305's in AU... Would need custom offsets, that I haven't seen available here, for reasonable $$$$$. Go to my threads on wheels using "Search" function.

Ktlplxm
05-01-2009, 12:58 PM
My 285's on 35mm offset are still workin fine and scratch free after 1800 miles, both mountain and beach trips.

EcoBrick Bob
05-01-2009, 05:27 PM
My 285's on 35mm offset are still workin fine and scratch free after 1800 miles, both mountain and beach trips.

What brand of tire do you have? My Bridgestone 285's are almost an inch wider that the 275's I have on the 35 offset wheels. Snowbird's Michelins were about in between the two, and on his car, with no lowering, but with a fullsized spare, were constantly rubbing.

My 09 sits at least 1/2 inch higher than my 08, both w/o spares. Snowbird's rear wheel lip was at least 1/2 inch closer than my 08.

Tonight, we had 4 people in my 09, plus a full sized spare and 2 empty stock 19" wheels. When we made sharp turns at low speeds, the 275's rubbed (35 offset) - just a quick "Zing" - but no marks on tires. Happened several times. Thinking about getting a fender roller as I have 4 cars to work on. 2 G8's and 2 GTO's.

NWOG8
05-01-2009, 07:09 PM
285's on 20's, Nitto Invo Tires, 55 offset which is tuff to find without spending $$. I decided to spend the money. I run a 255 in front on a 40 offset. Have no issues with rubbing and no fender modifications.

EcoBrick Bob
05-01-2009, 07:21 PM
285's on 20's, Nitto Invo Tires, 55 offset which is tuff to find without spending $$. I decided to spend the money. I run a 255 in front on a 40 offset. Have no issues with rubbing and no fender modifications.

Would guess you could go to a 295 or maybe a 305, depending on actual cross section width with those 55 offset 20's.

Ktlplxm
05-02-2009, 06:55 AM
What brand of tire do you have? My Bridgestone 285's are almost an inch wider that the 275's I have on the 35 offset wheels. Snowbird's Michelins were about in between the two, and on his car, with no lowering, but with a fullsized spare, were constantly rubbing.

My 09 sits at least 1/2 inch higher than my 08, both w/o spares. Snowbird's rear wheel lip was at least 1/2 inch closer than my 08.

Tonight, we had 4 people in my 09, plus a full sized spare and 2 empty stock 19" wheels. When we made sharp turns at low speeds, the 275's rubbed (35 offset) - just a quick "Zing" - but no marks on tires. Happened several times. Thinking about getting a fender roller as I have 4 cars to work on. 2 G8's and 2 GTO's.

Nitto Invo's. 285/35/19. 26.73" tall 11.3 wide on section width. The car has Eibachs installed so the ride height is a little lower. Quarters were rolled just in case but thats not where it ever scrubbed. For a few days the area where the quarter and bumper meet scrubbed but after that nothing. The only time i hear the little "zing" is at sudden large drop offs or severe dips, but even then it cuts no rubber. I've never had it zing from turns even with two people in the car (i should even count myself as a pair considering my size) With a nother good sized passenger, trunk full of luggage and a full tank of gas, I zinged twice on the way to the beach and that was the 2nd day of owning them. On the 295 or 305 thing I don't see it with out fully pedderizing the rear to get zero deflection in turns, a 19 x 10 with 47mm offset and sway bars to fight leaning. It wil eat the inside of the tire if its anymore, and the outside if its any less (and thats just the 295, assuming the car gets lowered). The other problem is finding a 295 or 305 that is the appropriate height.