PDA

View Full Version : Ugh Parents...Gotta vent a bit.

Blackdevil77
09-03-2008, 03:43 PM
What are you supposed to do when your an 18 year old kid and you own a Pontiac G8 GT and you want to do all these things that everybody else is doing to their's? I am DYING for a VMS tune and CAI but the parents aren't having it. They are SO convinced that if someone messes with the car and tries to change something, something will go wrong and the car will be destroyed. There's no getting to them. I'm about to call my dealer and ask them if they will install the CAI to satisfy my parents. Then i'll have them order the VMS tune with CAI and HSRK and tell them im gonna bring it to the dealer and have them install it when in actuality i'll just do it at a friends house.
I would LOVE the ARH system but i can never imagine them ever agreeing to something that costs $1700 that makes an already fast car their 18 year old son drives go even faster. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!! I just gotta do all these things behind their back which i'd hate to do but they leave me no choice. But the headers are a hard one. Somehow i gotta come up with 2 grand, have it delivered without them seeing the huge box from UPS in front of the house when it arrives which i'll probably be a school or work anyway when it comes. AAAAAAHAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Sorry had to vent and express my situation to the world lol.

GRRRR8
09-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Dont feel bad some of us are 2-3 times your age and have to do the same thing with our wives! LOL

jnak
09-03-2008, 04:08 PM
You're probably one of three 18 year olds in the world with a brand new G8 GT. As much as it might suck, sometimes it's OK to be happy with what you've got. Lying to your parents/not telling them the whole truth isn't a good way to go.

Blackdevil77
09-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Dont feel bad some of us are 2-3 times your age and have to do the same thing with our wives! LOL

lol oh god. Yeah i hear a lot of guys talk about things they want that they can't get because their wives say no lol. Number one on that list of things that i have heard is motorcycles. Which my mom said if i got one when im older, she would come back from the dead and haunt me LOL!

Blackdevil77
09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
You're probably one of three 18 year olds in the world with a brand new G8 GT. As much as it might suck, sometimes it's OK to be happy with what you've got. Lying to your parents/not telling them the whole truth isn't a good way to go.

You got a very good point. I guess your right. I just wish i can do some things to it. I'm not asking for a dime from my parents, just permission but yeah many kids my age don't drive anything near a G8 GT. Then again i know a few that drive Lambo's and BMW M5's but thats too much lol. When people see kids in those cars around here my friends say "oh look, daddy has a nice car" lol. I do love my G8 and appreciate that i have it every second. I really love this dang car. Wash it 2-3 times a week lol. Parents say im crazy.

g8_795
09-03-2008, 04:20 PM

What a coincidence. My wife does the same thing. I thought I was the only one with this problem.... It is a small world after all. :beer2:

BTW. I have my X-box's back. Can you say COD4????

g8_795
09-03-2008, 04:26 PM
What are you supposed to do when your an 18 year old kid and you own a Pontiac G8 GT and you want to do all these things that everybody else is doing to their's? I am DYING for a VMS tune and CAI but the parents aren't having it. They are SO convinced that if someone messes with the car and tries to change something, something will go wrong and the car will be destroyed. There's no getting to them. I'm about to call my dealer and ask them if they will install the CAI to satisfy my parents. Then i'll have them order the VMS tune with CAI and HSRK and tell them im gonna bring it to the dealer and have them install it when in actuality i'll just do it at a friends house.
I would LOVE the ARH system but i can never imagine them ever agreeing to something that costs $1700 that makes an already fast car their 18 year old son drives go even faster. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!! I just gotta do all these things behind their back which i'd hate to do but they leave me no choice. But the headers are a hard one. Somehow i gotta come up with 2 grand, have it delivered without them seeing the huge box from UPS in front of the house when it arrives which i'll probably be a school or work anyway when it comes. AAAAAAHAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I had a 71 Plymouth Duster when I was 18. It had a 318 in it, and I was damn proud. I think I bought it for $300 or so. Man, what I would have done for a G8 GT........ You will have plenty of opportunities in the future to mod away. Take your time, you are only 18.
:bm:

G8GT594
09-03-2008, 04:35 PM

I know how you feel man. My parents were the same when i lived with them 2 years ago. I had a blazer with an $5k sound system and rims and stupid shit i was into back then. My parents always hated it. They said to watch my expenses and you know they were right. I look back at it now and all the bitching i heard from them was ok. I learned. What i waste of money i put in that truck. I truly didnt love the audio stuff but its what everyone was doing so i thought i got to have it. Your 18 man and you drive a G8 GT. You know how many kids your age dream about owning a car like that?

edmanet
09-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I was lucky when I was 19 just like you except....I had a brand new 79 Z28 that I paid $7600 for. That's one car I wish I still had. My parents wouldn't let me mod it. But if there's a will there's a way. I had a 3200 stall, along with a shift kit in the trans. Re- built the quadrajet with a Brad Urban kit. Snuck in a comp cams 268 and gutted the converter.

Steve
09-03-2008, 05:18 PM

haha Someone call my name? :)

Blackdevil77
09-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I know im lucky to have such a car and i do know it. That car is my pride and joy (is that sad or a good thing? lol) I'm just gonna keep workin on them and see what happens. A little something is better than nothing.

GRRRR8
09-03-2008, 05:20 PM
haha Someone call my name? :)

I should have called a bookie! I knew you would say that. LMAO!!!!

Blackdevil77
09-03-2008, 05:21 PM
What a coincidence. My wife does the same thing. I thought I was the only one with this problem.... It is a small world after all. :beer2:

BTW. I have my X-box's back. Can you say COD4????

you have Xbox and COD4??? NICE! My gamertag is Blackdevil77, just like my username! Who else here has an Xbox live account?

G8GT594
09-03-2008, 05:32 PM
you have Xbox and COD4??? NICE! My gamertag is Blackdevil77, just like my username! Who else here has an Xbox live account?

Ha. I was just talking to Charlie about this too. I just started playing COD4 doing pretty damn good too!

My gamertag is xxattitudexx

EcoBrick Bob
09-03-2008, 06:02 PM
When I was your age.... I did it "like stealth"... Had a NEW white
Pontiac Catalina 2+2 in 1964 w/ 421 & 3 two barrels - 4 speed stick - transistor ignition (first year for it) etc. Went thru about 10 ignition boxes and 2 clutches in first 2K. Think the breaking point was when I changed the linkage on the carbs..... Then I got a new Riviera - 1 - 4 barrel and an auto....l

Laid low for 18 months and talked them into letting me have a 66' Vette...

(Yea Charlie... this was before the Shelby in the ocean incident..)

RRM

Weldon
09-03-2008, 06:03 PM
well im 19 and im in the airborne and have my own place pay my own bills and ym parents still are on my ass about my car's and bike's...its there job to worry. but my dad **he taught me how to drive a car the way a car was ment to be driven ;-)** drove for bmw so he understands all the stuff i do to my bikes and cars...but my mom still yells at me when she comes over "WHY YOU ALWAYS GOT TO GO FAST!! ISNT IT BAD ENOUGH MY SON JUMPS OUT OF PERFECTLY GOOD AIRPLANES?? YOUR GOING TO PUT ME IN A GRAVE WELDON. IN A GRAVE!" lol. but as far as going behind there back! uh uhhhh....wouldnt do that...thats just asking for trouble...always be honest with them...but best thing to do, find the part you want on the internate...then find a review board on that part...and show them the reviews **make sure there good reviews if you want a chance in hell with getting it** and maybe that will help them relieze that it isnt that bad, thats my opinion! =)))

wreckwriter
09-03-2008, 06:09 PM
a parent's job is to worry over their children. My son is 15, soon to get his license. He wants a fast car. What am I to say but NO! :)

Blackdevil77
09-03-2008, 06:17 PM
well im 19 and im in the airborne and have my own place pay my own bills and ym parents still are on my ass about my car's and bike's...its there job to worry. but my dad **he taught me how to drive a car the way a car was ment to be driven ;-)** drove for bmw so he understands all the stuff i do to my bikes and cars...but my mom still yells at me when she comes over "WHY YOU ALWAYS GOT TO GO FAST!! ISNT IT BAD ENOUGH MY SON JUMPS OUT OF PERFECTLY GOOD AIRPLANES?? YOUR GOING TO PUT ME IN A GRAVE WELDON. IN A GRAVE!" lol. but as far as going behind there back! uh uhhhh....wouldnt do that...thats just asking for trouble...always be honest with them...but best thing to do, find the part you want on the internate...then find a review board on that part...and show them the reviews **make sure there good reviews if you want a chance in hell with getting it** and maybe that will help them relieze that it isnt that bad, thats my opinion! =)))

lol i like your story. I tried that with the CAI. I let her read this thing in wiki (only info I could find on it) and she was reading until it said "more attractive engine noise" and she was like "No way in hell. your not making your car loud, that attracts attention, your gonna get so many tickets" im like "mom, it barely does anything to the sound. Exhaust is what people get to make their cars louder, not CAI's." she's like "yeah uh huh whatever...NO." So i go and find a youtube vid of the stock G8 going 0-speed limiter and then the G8 with the roto-fab doing the same trick up to 70 to show her the difference in sound between stock and with a CAI. First I show her the STOCK vid. She goes "yeah right, its not that loud! Your trying to make it seem like there's no difference between the two!" This is were i gave up. FOR NOW!!! I wish they believed me. They think im lying to them just to be able to get what i want.

It's A G8!
09-03-2008, 06:31 PM
What always works is the guilt trip. Say something like,"mom,do you trust me?,do you believe I have made good choices in life? How can I make it in life if you wont let me buy that CAI?" :bye: Say its not for performance but for improving gas mileage.

p71
09-03-2008, 06:35 PM
lol i like your story. I tried that with the CAI. I let her read this thing in wiki (only info I could find on it) and she was reading until it said "more attractive engine noise" and she was like "No way in hell. your not making your car loud, that attracts attention, your gonna get so many tickets" im like "mom, it barely does anything to the sound. Exhaust is what people get to make their cars louder, not CAI's." she's like "yeah uh huh whatever...NO." So i go and find a youtube vid of the stock G8 going 0-speed limiter and then the G8 with the roto-fab doing the same trick up to 70 to show her the difference in sound between stock and with a CAI. First I show her the STOCK vid. She goes "yeah right, its not that loud! Your trying to make it seem like there's no difference between the two!" This is were i gave up. FOR NOW!!! I wish they believed me. They think im lying to them just to be able to get what i want.

I am in two minds...

It was not that long ago that I was 18... and I was dumb (still am really)... most of the things I wanted to do i couldn't afford to. I screwed up alot. But my parents were good enough to stay out of my hair and bail me out when I really needed it...

I now see my young troops doing the stuff I used to do and the Sergeant part of me makes me want to smoke them and say "why are you so fucktarded?" but the other half of me sys I get it.

My comment to you is if it is your car that you paid for that you are putting the gas into and that you pay the insuance and tickets on... then it is yours...

of course, if they are subsidising your lifestyle by paying your rent or buying you food or dropping a few fins in your account or paying tuition... then really you still need to listen to them.

SO...

vote Obama... hope you get more social handouts and can live off the state instead of your parents and your problem goes away...

Weldon
09-03-2008, 06:35 PM
hahaha the guy above me is right...say its for gas miliage! and idk what all to tell you just that you need to be truthfull...worse comes to worse if you go behind there back and fix it up..they sell the car the next time they take it to the dealership and find out you did all that stuff to it...slowly earn there trust.

p71
09-03-2008, 06:37 PM
a parent's job is to worry over their children. My son is 15, soon to get his license. He wants a fast car. What am I to say but NO! :)

ummm... no disrespect wreck, but you can get in trouble wih any car... I can drift a suburban, a G8, a miata or a 1978 chevrolet caprice v-6 equally easily... and they all can drive felony fast... hell a prius can drive felony fast.

GT-610
09-03-2008, 06:41 PM
yeah,but if you drift a Prius,you still get 37mpg!

It's A G8!
09-03-2008, 06:44 PM
yeah,but if you drift a Prius,you still get 37mpg!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Blackdevil77
09-03-2008, 06:45 PM
What always works is the guilt trip. Say something like,"mom,do you trust me?,do you believe I have made good choices in life? How can I make it in life if you wont let me buy that CAI?" :bye: Say its not for performance but for improving gas mileage.

LMAO! I didn't tell her anything about performance. I just told her it improves gas mileage and draws in cooler air for combustion. I told her it keeps the engine cooler which makes it last longer lol. Here would be the answers to those questions.
1. Do you trust me?: Nope
2. Do you believe I made good choices in life?: for the most part....wait what life you just got outta high school!
3. How can I make it in life if you won't let me buy that CAI?: Oh shup up! Now your being stupid! OR You'll manage

Blackdevil77
09-03-2008, 06:49 PM
ummm... no disrespect wreck, but you can get in trouble wih any car... I can drift a suburban, a G8, a miata or a 1978 chevrolet caprice v-6 equally easily... and they all can drive felony fast... hell a prius can drive felony fast.

yes but i can see were parents come from here. I drove a shitbox like any first car should be. After all, if your gonna learn and make mistakes, get dings and dents, id rather do it in the shitbox then a beautiful brand new car! And with the fast muscle car, its way to easy to go those fast speeds than it is with a prius or something like that. Not to mention a kids mind (like mine) going "hey look at that group of guys and hot girls, they probably are looking at my car thinking, must be fast. Let me show EM!!!" You roll by in a prius and won't get as much as a second glance and the desire to show off won't be there.

norm8332
09-03-2008, 07:23 PM

You have allot more car than I had when I was your age. I had a 79 Dodge Diplomat 2-door (318) and no money to mod it. Hell I was finding tires in the trash that were still good so I could do burnouts! lol

bubblyjock
09-03-2008, 08:14 PM
My parents were the same way when I was 18, that was 4 years ago so I remember it quite vividly!! I still get the same response from my Dad when I do things to my cars. Like when I put nitrous on my Altima, he says "Oh your an idiot, just another way to waste your money and end up killing yourself!" the next thing he says, "Ok now take me for a drive I want to see what this thing can do." I keep telling him I am going to get a Vette and put an STS Twin Turbo on it, and he swears up and down that he would disown me, even though I know he would want a ride.

Mav
09-04-2008, 04:37 AM
To the original poster... you should just be happy that your fortunate enough to own a G8. Your parents are very nice, and if you expect them to hand you more cash to get this done then you are one spoiled little beeotch. :bleh:

Blackdevil77
09-04-2008, 04:41 AM
To the original poster... you should just be happy that your fortunate enough to own a G8. Your parents are very nice, and if you expect them to hand you more cash to get this done then you are one spoiled little beeotch. :bleh:

I am happy that i own a G8. Love the car very much and there isn't much i want to do to it. Just CAI and tune for now. And no I don't expect them to hand my any cash to get this done. Just something i wanted to buy and do on my own and my parents said no because they think it will mess up the car.

MissNaySimon
09-04-2008, 08:32 AM
When I was 16 my mom bought me a 04 Mustang. Sure, it was only the V6, but i was driving around a brand new car! I'm glad she didn't let me mod it, even though I had plenty of money to do so. Until I had kids I was certain that my parents were crazy. Now, it all sort of just makes sense. :P