PDA

View Full Version : a new take on the "washer mod"

sdown
04-30-2009, 09:10 AM
I know a lot of you are dead set against the "washer mod" (or ghetto mod as some call it). I've been playing around with it for a while ever since I returned my after market mufflers. The best way I have found to eliminate the drone is to put one washer on top and bottom, but on either side of the steel gasket. Looks like this: %

For some reason, I get a nice sound with very little droning with this set up.
:Canada:

SRG963
04-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Can you post up a picture so we can get a better idea of exactly what you did?

majesticix
04-30-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm still using mine with the single washer on the bottom. Still works great. I get a slight drone around 74 mph...but it's minimal. It's silent at 68. I drove 11 hours to Virginia with it and had no problem. My wife noticed it was a bit louder than usual, but got used to it fairly quick. The low end sounds wonderful I must say.

MGMG8GT
04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm not familiar with this at all. Info?

majesticix
04-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Here is all the info you will ever need on it:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13475&highlight=washer+mod

You basically use washers to create an exhaust leak on the flanges right before the muffler. Easy to do. It's adjustable (add more washers, get a louder sound) and reversible. Most have found one washer in each bolt is enough...though you get reduced drone with one washer on the bottom bolt of the flange with no washer on the top apparently (this is my setup). It's easy enough to play around and adjust your sound to what you like. Most have liked the results...and you will definitely hear results.

NOTE: It sounds ghetto (the mod itself, not the actual sound from the car). I was hesitant myself, but try it out. You may just fall in love with your car all over again. I did. I think we converted a few naysayers too!

sdown
04-30-2009, 01:09 PM
No pictures, sorry it is pouring rain here. But like the percentage sign I put up in the original post. I simply put the top washer on the muffler side (rear of car) of the steel gasket, and the bottom washer on the axle side (front of car) of the steel gasket,

Seems to minimize the drone.
:Canada:

r33pwrd
04-30-2009, 01:40 PM
I would just be worried about exhaust fumes getting in the car when in traffic... I always have my daughter in the back seat and the last thing I want is exhaust fumes in there.

sdown
04-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Looking at your list of mods, I'm thinking your car is too fast to worry about exhaust getting in!

Seriously though, that issue was debated on the other forum and the consensus (which I agre with) seems to be, unless you are locked in the trunk, with the car idling and someone had drilled holes through the trunk floor, there is no issue.

r33pwrd
04-30-2009, 01:51 PM
I just wish there was a axle back I could run that was not too loud and had little drone.. I dont mind spending $600 for mufflers but not is they sound like crap.

1orangews6
04-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Here is all the info you will ever need on it:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13475&highlight=washer+mod

You basically use washers to create an exhaust leak on the flanges right before the muffler. Easy to do. It's adjustable (add more washers, get a louder sound) and reversible. Most have found one washer in each bolt is enough...though you get reduced drone with one washer on the bottom bolt of the flange with no washer on the top apparently (this is my setup). It's easy enough to play around and adjust your sound to what you like. Most have liked the results...and you will definitely hear results.

NOTE: It sounds ghetto (the mod itself, not the actual sound from the car). I was hesitant myself, but try it out. You may just fall in love with your car all over again. I did. I think we converted a few naysayers too!

Did you remove any of the resonators from the exhaust?

majesticix
04-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Nope, all stock. Just added two washers I had laying around.

majesticix
04-30-2009, 06:18 PM
I also drove another G8 with the resonators removed with x-pipe and turbo mufflers...sounded very similar to my washer mod, maybe a tad bit louder (though my washer mod setup is the quietest I believe).

jeppsG8
04-30-2009, 08:12 PM
I've been running 1 washer top and bottom for about a month. It sounds perfect especially with the Vararam. Slight drone at about 1900 RPM but it pretty much goes away completely with the golf clubs mod in the trunk. Just enough to knock down the resonation I guess. I only planned to run the washers for a few weeks, but I am in love with the sound and have never had any exhaust fumes problems. My 2 cents.

DRCUSTOMPARTS
04-30-2009, 08:13 PM
I just wish there was a axle back I could run that was not too loud and had little drone.. I dont mind spending $600 for mufflers but not is they sound like crap.
Then you need some custom Borla axlebacks, they are not too loud with minimal drone and they sound great. Have an exhaust shop weld in some Borla turbo mufflers using the the stock axleback pipes, and you can also use the stock tips. Another alternative is to use the Corsa DB mufflers, they have the sound canceling technology so they should eliminate the drone.

Shawn he put a washer on each side of the gasket on the top and the bottom.
So it goes washer/gasket/washer

kje141
05-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Put the washers in today, only one on the bottom, and it is surprising how nice it sounds. Would like to buy an exhaust system, but the ability to make it quiet really easily if I don't like it easily outweighs spending money on an exhaust system. Plus I just dont have the amount of money that all you guys seem to for the exhaust, tunes, etc etc etc superchargers

AkshunJebus
05-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I just put a washer on the bottom bolts today. Man this thing now sounds like it should have from the factory, just a nice deep throaty growl.

Does this hurt the car at all? It seems the me that the engine even sounded different... sounded like a jet or something.

GRRRR8
05-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Thats what an exhaust leak at higher rpms sounds like. No this isnt a good idea. To create an exhaust leak just to make sound isnt a good thing.

J Wikoff
05-03-2009, 07:22 PM
After it's been catalytic converted, muffled, and resonated, it's only a leak in the strictest sense of the word.

AkshunJebus
05-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Thats what an exhaust leak at higher rpms sounds like. No this isnt a good idea. To create an exhaust leak just to make sound isnt a good thing.

The noise I noticed wasn't at high RPM... I hadn't even revved it; just remote started and listened to it for 30 secs or so, and shut it down.

GRRRR8
05-04-2009, 04:30 AM
After it's been catalytic converted, muffled, and resonated, it's only a leak in the strictest sense of the word.

True, but a leak is a leak and it would pass inspection like that. I just dont believe in mods like this as there can be issues. I am all for DIY mods for sure, but this is one I just couldnt do or recommend.

kje141
05-04-2009, 04:45 AM
True, but a leak is a leak and it would pass inspection like that. I just dont believe in mods like this as there can be issues. I am all for DIY mods for sure, but this is one I just couldnt do or recommend.

I agree, but I have also done it....:wacko: For me, I have purchased the 700 exhaust system in the past and at first, yeah it was sweet and loud, but then it was just too loud. I have seen many guys here take their exhausts off and now are selling them so if I had to justify between an entire exhaust system or 1 dollar worth of washers that is very easily reversible then.... With all of this in mind I am taking my washers out after only having them in for 3 days. I am sure they will find their way in and out quite a bit. I also want to hear the Rotofab I just installed and the exhaust wasnt allowing me to.

Chooch
05-04-2009, 04:55 AM
Just for kicks, has anyone taken or gotten ahold of a stock muffler and cut it open to see if anyway to unrestrict by removing a baffle or 2 and reweld? Or it being Stainless Steel make that a dream and not reality

GRRRR8
05-04-2009, 05:09 AM
I agree, but I have also done it....:wacko: For me, I have purchased the 700 exhaust system in the past and at first, yeah it was sweet and loud, but then it was just too loud. I have seen many guys here take their exhausts off and now are selling them so if I had to justify between an entire exhaust system or 1 dollar worth of washers that is very easily reversible then.... With all of this in mind I am taking my washers out after only having them in for 3 days. I am sure they will find their way in and out quite a bit. I also want to hear the Rotofab I just installed and the exhaust wasnt allowing me to.

A lot bought exhaust and took off for headers. I was 1 of the 1st. I just couldnt see cutting up a $600 MF system. Exhaust sound is a funny thing, I think my car is WAY too loud, but my wife and most like it. Many said the original MF had drone, I said what drone? I think Pypes is a great option for a stock exhaust to get some more sound and not be loud, but even with them at least 1 person said to loud. Mufflers being in the back with a hollow spare tire area cause a lot of issues.

MGMG8GT
05-04-2009, 05:56 AM
I'm going to try it. What size washers do you need?

majesticix
05-04-2009, 06:20 AM
3/8" inside diameter washers...and start with 1/16" thick.

I removed the flange gasket entirely and put a single washer on the bottom bolt of each flange. No washer on the top. Gives a more pronounced sound, with minimal drone. No problems to date, though I may remove it during the winter months to minimize any chance of corrosion with all the snow & salt.

Panzer Leader
05-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Why not just take an ice pic and punch holes in the muffler?

kje141
05-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Why not just take an ice pic and punch holes in the muffler?

Irreversible ;)

majesticix
05-04-2009, 10:21 AM
No icepick in the toolbox either...did have a washer or two though!

ETIDMotorsports
05-05-2009, 12:01 AM
A lot bought exhaust and took off for headers. I was 1 of the 1st. I just couldnt see cutting up a $600 MF system. Exhaust sound is a funny thing, I think my car is WAY too loud, but my wife and most like it. Many said the original MF had drone, I said what drone? I think Pypes is a great option for a stock exhaust to get some more sound and not be loud, but even with them at least 1 person said to loud. Mufflers being in the back with a hollow spare tire area cause a lot of issues.

Would having a spare tire in there help at all with the drone or resonance?

GRRRR8
05-05-2009, 04:36 AM
Would having a spare tire in there help at all with the drone or resonance?

Most that have a spare dont seem to complain, but if they take it out to race or some other reason they say it is a noticable difference.

jeppsG8
05-05-2009, 05:52 AM
I've done a little testing and found that a single washer (top and bottom) with the 'set of golf clubs' mod placed diagonally in the trunk seems to sound the best and nearly eliminates the drone that normally hits at about 1800 - 2000 RPM. So I guess a spare would accomplish the same thing.

austin
05-17-2009, 07:28 PM
has anyone tried to take the mufflers off and have a straight pipe built at a muffler shop
i would say you could probably do that for about 80 dollars or so depending on the tip you choose fairly cheep and easily reversible and to see if you will like it just pull the mufflers and drive around dont like it then try the washer mod i guess

fastg8mi
05-18-2009, 05:46 PM
pm-fl makes a straight pipe axle back

Slizzo
05-19-2009, 10:49 AM
has anyone tried to take the mufflers off and have a straight pipe built at a muffler shop
i would say you could probably do that for about 80 dollars or so depending on the tip you choose fairly cheep and easily reversible and to see if you will like it just pull the mufflers and drive around dont like it then try the washer mod i guess

Got this done a month ago, still need to get tips for them, but it sounds great, no drone (tuned out AFM on my car), and at highway speeds you can have normal conversations.

NickFormicola
06-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Most that have a spare dont seem to complain, but if they take it out to race or some other reason they say it is a noticable difference.

Hmmm... That makes me think... Say, you don't have a spare tire.. Why not just stuff a bunch of towels or foam into the hollow area? I might try that and see if it helps with the drone.

I have the washer mod done, with one big washer (1/5") and a second, smaller washer (1/8"). The drone is pretty bad.. But man, it sounds like a beast.

EDIT: I just put a small blanket, small pillow, and two towels in the hollow area under the trunk. I'd say it's about 40% less drone. I can still hear it, but it isn't bad at all. I'll probably get another couple towels to put in there, though.

SoCal
06-19-2009, 07:13 PM
There is some good info in this thread.

I previously tried one washer. I really liked how it sounded when started. Didn't care for what sounded like drone to me every time I approached 2000 RPM around town.

Went back to stock. Too quiet.

Just for kicks, tried a washer top and bottom. WAY too annoying. Had just read about stuffing the spare wheel well. Tried a few couch throw pillows. It did seem to make a difference. Made it tolerable for the few days until I could crawl back under the car.

Next, this thread's trick with the gasket on either side of the washers. Again, seemed to quiet things down. Very livable now. It's been too long to remember how this compares to a single washer per muffler. But I like the idea of the flanges being parallel again - even if it doesn't matter. I like this arrangement.

Seattle09GT
06-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Well I've read a bunch of threads on this topic, went out and bought some 3/8" number eight washers and climbed under the G8.

I left the gasket in place, went with two washers (they are only about 1/16") on the lower bolt only, going in order of bolt, gasket, washers, flange to exhaust.

Holy ass crackers, that sweet sweet V8 burble at idle both inside and out. The whole freakin' car rumbles.

I don't know if I can live with the drone though. I only did a short drive and could only get up to 45 MPH. Way too many pedestrians and too much traffic to do more than that. I'll find out if I'm going to go insane on my commute tomorrow. I have some old pillows in the closet in my back room, can try stuffing them in the spare tire well if I feel I need to isolate drone. But I LOVE how it sounds on the outside.

Gris
06-24-2009, 03:50 PM
pm-fl makes a straight pipe axle back

I'm considering this but wonder if it would just be too loud, though the exhaust does go through lots of stuff before it even gets to the mufflers, anyone tried this?

Never mind, found the thread: http://www.forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=5092

Seattle09GT
06-24-2009, 07:13 PM
I am not taking the washers out. No highway drone, only noise is when I'm on the throttle and idle is V8-alishish.

What a great mod, cost me about a $1.50 at Shucks in washers, got 8 SS for high temp applications.

danf1000
07-13-2009, 05:49 AM
my firebird had 2 cats and one muffler. that's it. these g8s have 2 cats, a muffler/h, 2 resonators, and 2 mufflers. by the time the sound gets to the two rear mufflers, it has been attenuated to a large degree. there is not much past the typical hot rod exhaust sound left.

then people who are afraid exhaust noise and/or actually have to go to the hardware store to get a washer and/or prefer automatic transmissions for the street should keep their hot rod modification opinions to themselves.

Seattle09GT
07-13-2009, 09:47 AM
my firebird had 2 cats and one muffler. that's it. these g8s have 2 cats, a muffler/h, 2 resonators, and 2 mufflers. by the time the sound gets to the two rear mufflers, it has been attenuated to a large degree. there is not much past the typical hot rod exhaust sound left.

then people who are afraid exhaust noise and/or actually have to go to the hardware store to get a washer and/or prefer automatic transmissions for the street should keep their hot rod modification opinions to themselves.

Welcome to the club.

Now lick my nut sack. :hang::hang::hang:

If you want a manual and cut performance on the G8, then go for it. The slush box is an amazing piece of hardware in the G8. No doubt in my mind the fun factory would be better with a manual, but even F1 cars no longer have a clutch pedal. The times they are a changin'

'02 ws6
07-13-2009, 10:28 PM

Post #1 and already a part of the mod police? Look at the size of the mufflers compared to the resonators and tell me which would muffle sound more. Have you heard a G8 with axle-backs only? There's plenty of "hot rod" sound to offer all while keeping stock diameter tubing, resonators, and cats.

Shneaky
07-14-2009, 04:29 AM
For those who might want to know the difference before trying this...

I made THIS VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ZFsydn4sg) to directly compare the sound change.

I plan to do full exhaust eventually, but until then this cheap little trick makes my car sound like a whole different animal. The stock sound was embarassingly quiet for a big mean V8, and this gives just enough noise to perk up the Mustang guy's ears at a light. :nah:

I am always hesitant to do any DIY mods that could potentially be dubbed "ghetto". But, I wanted a decent sound ASAP, and for the cost difference between axle-backs, which essentially serve the same purpose, it wasn't a hard choice.

I would never claim to have greater automotive knowledge than someone like Charlie. I check mine every week for corrosion, and plan to remove them completely someday. But, those who worry about "fumes" and creating a dangerous leak under the trunk?!?!? Seriously??? Someone tell these guys to stop selling these then!! Oh Noes! (http://marylandspeed.com/dmh-low-profile-electric-cutouts-pair-dmhlpecut-p-1313.html)

:)

(And, the weird background talking is my wife trying to get our boxer pup to take a tinkle. Lol. :eyeroll: )

majesticix
07-14-2009, 07:27 AM
No corrosion problems for me, and I drove it all winter long. I recently upgraded to a washer on both bolts for some more output. Definitely a lot louder than a single on the bottom. There is a bit more drone, but I had "dyno-matted" my wheel well for my wheel well sub system so I think that has reduced what most people have been hearing. It's still fairly quiet at 74, but it is noticeable. Totally worth it IMO though...though I keep eyeing that Corsa system I swear I'd never buy.

danf1000
07-14-2009, 08:32 AM
post 1 or 1 million, if you're offerring your nutsack and you can't turn a wrench, ur a homo non-hotrodder

Seattle09GT
07-14-2009, 09:23 AM
post 1 or 1 million, if you're offerring your nutsack and you can't turn a wrench, ur a homo non-hotrodder

Does your daddy know you're using his computer? Bored on your summer vacation?

:brain:

:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

danf1000
07-14-2009, 09:47 AM
keep it coming internet tuffguy.

Seattle09GT
07-14-2009, 10:04 AM
:ban: :poof:

Ahhh, so much better now.

danf1000
07-14-2009, 05:53 PM
not so much..................
were you the one that said "it's MY ball....."

while ur pumping the graphics, i'm raising the tailbed on the'48.