PDA

View Full Version : VMS GXP Dyno Results!!

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
04-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Here are the GXP dyno results.

Attached are the dyno sheets and spread sheets showing the HP & TQ gains through the entire RPM range.

In order - New Era OTR, Roto-Fab & Vararam. Dyno sheets & spread sheets.

G8Smitty
04-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Nice. Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, do you have the stock intake run too?

G8Smitty
04-30-2009, 08:17 AM
Duh... I see it now. Thanks again.

Top Speed
04-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Looks like the Rotofab is the winner.

GRRRR8
04-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Not really. I saw completely different MAF readings on the dyno vs. going down the road. Untill all 3 are track tested to see which one produces the best ETs, they are all GRRRR8 systems.

Top Speed
04-30-2009, 09:57 AM
On this particular testing it did win. That's all I was saying.

G8Smitty
04-30-2009, 10:17 AM
That is if you are only considering HP.

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM

Peak numbers, yes. If you look at the average gain it was down a little.
It has a strange, very repeatable jump in power at the high RPM.

They all were very close.

MtbDoc
04-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Peak numbers, yes. If you look at the average gain it was down a little.
It has a strange, very repeatable jump in power at the high RPM.

They all were very close.

Perhaps due to lower restriction at peak flow rates? This is the issue I am trying to sort out with the Maggie. I have hacked up the stock air inlet 'trumpet' on the air box, and have done the lower panel mod. The question is how much better airflow would this thing see with the Rotofab air filter and open box?

Back to GXP...

G8GXP4now
04-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Was this a manual or auto?

What type of correction factor is this? SAE, STD, other?

GeorgeInNePa
04-30-2009, 12:04 PM
That is if you are only considering HP.

This.

I'll give up 2.5hp to pick up almost 4ftlbs of torque.

Darkside
04-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Was this a manual or auto?

What type of correction factor is this? SAE, STD, other?

I believe Steve said that they had two Gxp's to test on. The RotoFab was a manual, the owner of it picked the RotoFab before the tests. It liked him.:)

locrzn#92
04-30-2009, 06:46 PM
I'll take the torque on the street, the hp will show up on the big end at the track. I just don't think the roto will pull the air down track like the Nep and Vararam

kjmccart
05-01-2009, 03:31 PM
I believe Steve said that they had two Gxp's to test on. The RotoFab was a manual, the owner of it picked the RotoFab before the tests. It liked him.:)

Yes it was mine, The car runs and sounds much better!

Mike@NewEra
05-01-2009, 04:33 PM
The dynoing was done on differnet days with different cars with different transmissions, you can't look at this thread as the winner for an intake, just a thread stating what the VMS tune will do for you if you have any of these intakes.

EcoBrick Bob
05-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Kirk -

Did any or all have your HRSK mod? Or doesn;t this make any difference in dyno testing?

Reason I ask - one of the fellas that was at our SW FLA meet this weekend, had moved his HRSK to in front of the filter on VaraRam, because he was getting 120 DEG IAT Temps in stop and go driving down here in FL. The problem seemed to be that his intake air was coming from the area that was over and too close to the radiator.

My IAT temp experiences:

On the way over to have you do the parking ramp tune back in early FEB at South Beach, my IAT temps on my completely stock 09 with only 100 mi, were about 14 degrees higher than the outside temp at 75 mph. (89 deg IAT at 75 deg outside temp at 75-80 mph). Restrictive system - no HRSK....

I contrast this with my 08 with RotoFab, your HRSK and all of Charlie's lower panel mods, including the big opening and a blocking plate to keep radiator heat from the intake. At a steady 35 mph, at an outside 80 degree temp, my IAT temp was reading at or no more than 2 degrees above the outside temperature.

My conclusion.... In year-around hot weather climates, I think a CAI that gets its air from the coolest possible area will be the most efficient in daily driving.

Opinions please!!!!!

GRRRR8
05-01-2009, 05:59 PM
My own response is if one car is extremely heat soaked vs a car that is moderately heat soaked that is a big difference. If you take 2 cars prepped the same way the HSRK wins 100% of the time and if you let the vehicle that is heatsoaked worse have an HSRK it will come down to temp faster then the one without it. It doesnt matter what air system you have.

EcoBrick Bob
05-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Charlie-
Where did you place your HRSK with your VaraRam?

GRRRR8
05-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Charlie-

See pics in Vararam on ITBFST thread.

GeorgeInNePa
05-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Charlie-

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=6194

EcoBrick Bob
05-01-2009, 08:03 PM
As far as I'm concerned.... all this comparison proves is that I NEED MORE MODS!!!!!:woohoo:

kevinm0131
05-01-2009, 08:38 PM
kjmccart, was yours the silver m6? If so i went on right behind yours. If that's yours i have pic of our cars outside @ VMS. I plan on posting and pics, etc when I ahve little more time, but, I can just tell you that steve and Kirk are aces in my book, did a fine job on my weak sister A6 GXP for me. I love it!
Thanx again and look for my details this weekend.
Kevin

kevinm0131
05-03-2009, 01:06 PM
I had the pleasure of visiting Vector Motorsports on April 24th and getting to meet Steve and Kirk. The guys were a pleasure to work with and did a bang up job of slapping on a Vararam , their own HSRK and doing a sweet stealth dyno tune of my weak sister GXP. All in all a very great trip and the results are incredible from in the car. Off throttle response is much better than stock and the shifts are nice and crisp, no more slushy shifts...it will grab rubber in 2nd now. My sole disappointment was the base HP of my car, 315! The car is even more of a blast to drive now.
Thanx again VMS!
Kevin
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZJBHngLo2KK1z8a4OZPbqw?authkey=Gv1sRgCKSo1vWv4LG5F Q&feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/brisz3eX9hqEex_-N-7dDA?authkey=Gv1sRgCKSo1vWv4LG5FQ&feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mZQTzA_sOh9eghuwgKxhag?authkey=Gv1sRgCKSo1vWv4LG5F Q&feat=directlink

BTW, I believe the dyno runs that VMS posted were from the same day, the date and time was off on the dyno, I was there on 4/24/09 and was on the dyno between 11:30 a.m and about 1:30 p.m.

kjmccart
05-04-2009, 07:01 AM
kjmccart, was yours the silver m6? If so i went on right behind yours. If that's yours i have pic of our cars outside @ VMS. I plan on posting and pics, etc when I ahve little more time, but, I can just tell you that steve and Kirk are aces in my book, did a fine job on my weak sister A6 GXP for me. I love it!
Thanx again and look for my details this weekend.
Kevin

Yes it was mine, I have a buddy that had Vector install a Procharger on his 2009 Corvette. After seeing the overall job and performance it was a easy sell.

I was out of town so he dropped it off for me so Vector could do there thing. I was a little tence about the upgrade as the car only has 300 miles on it, but after getting it back & driving the results, it was pretty cool!!! Are you happy with yours, plan to add anything else?

kevinm0131
05-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Yes, I am very pleased with what VMS did. Still a little peeved at the 315.5 base HP, but it still a blast to drive. Really haven't been able to "air it out" yet.

Plan on making a trip to Edgewater soon to see how it does in the 1/4 mile, I'm supposing even with my "weak" motor and my size I will need a helmet.

Interesting that we caused some confusion at VMS two Kevins with two different GXP's in house the same day. I have almost 3300 miles on mine now, put over 300 on it just getting to VMS, not to mention the return trip.

Other upgrades/mods planned are the HSV triple hump conversion or more likely Chris Whites "atari" gauge fix & retrofit. It looks very sharp.

I doubt I will do anything else, however, I reserve the right to change my mind. This will be my first visit to the strip with my own car and my first ever runs with any car. Only been as a spectator and as part of the "crew" for a buddy. I've been told that if the drag bug bites I may end up like Charlie, sitting in the corner with evil laugh, rubbing may hands together and an compiling an enormous list list of mods and new plans to boot. :)

Kevin

Steve@Vectormotorsports
05-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks agian to both Kevins with there GXP's it was a pleasure meeting you both. These cars really look sharp in person!

G8GXP4now
05-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I can't understand the large variation on baseline GXP numbers.

315HP baseline - just seems so low compared to all the other ones I have seen. I know mustang dyno's are lower than dynojet, but I thought only 8 to 10 HP lower.

The gains are what are important, and it seems that all CAI/tunes are good for around 40ish HP.

Kevin, great license plate!!

Kirk@VectorMotorsports
05-05-2009, 10:39 AM
I can't understand the large variation on baseline GXP numbers.

315HP baseline - just seems so low compared to all the other ones I have seen. I know mustang dyno's are lower than dynojet, but I thought only 8 to 10 HP lower.

The gains are what are important, and it seems that all CAI/tunes are good for around 40ish HP.

Kevin, great license plate!!

It was warm in the shop that day. Heat soak in the MAF sensor was making causing the ECM to pull 6 degrees of timing.

The better intake took care of the heat soak problem.

The tune and intake did the rest!

majesticix
05-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I doubt I will do anything else, however, I reserve the right to change my mind. This we be my first visit to the strip with my own car and my first ever runs with any car. Only been as a spectator and as part of the "crew" for a buddy. I've been told that if the drag bug bites I may end up like Charlie, sitting in the corner with evil laugh, rubbing may hands together and an compiling an enormous list list of mods and new plans to boot.

If you've tuned your car and are running it at the track, the mod bug has already sunk it's teeth into you. There's no going back now, so enjoy the ride!

:)

kjmccart
05-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks agian to both Kevins with there GXP's it was a pleasure meeting you both. These cars really look sharp in person!

Just to let you know, I drove the car to work Friday, it's about 16 miles on I94. I avg 24 miles per gallon! Not bad for a car turning 380 horse to the rear wheels!

Steve@Vectormotorsports
05-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Just to let you know, I drove the car to work Friday, it's about 16 miles on I94. I avg 24 miles per gallon! Not bad for a car turning 380 horse to the rear wheels!

That works! I really like the Silver it looks sharp