PDA

View Full Version : GXP Brakes on GT

Ktlplxm
04-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Well I finally got everything on the car, but decided to remove them. First off the brakes will fit factory wheels, but they do have to be spaced out a little over a 1/4". They will not however fit with my Breyton's do thats why they we're removed. Not sure how they fit with other wheels. On the Breyton wheel, the caliper makes contact right where the spokes separate from the hub.

SLVRG8GT
04-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Well I finally got everything on the car, but decided to remove them. First off the brakes will fit factory wheels, but they do have to be spaced out a little over a 1/4". They will not however fit with my Breyton's do thats why they we're removed. Not sure how they fit with other wheels. On the Breyton wheel, the caliper makes contact right where the spokes separate from the hub.

Good news for the factory rims. :D Bad news for yours. :mad:

Sorry. :(

PerfectD3
04-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Factory 18s or 19s?

Greg@PacePerformance
04-30-2009, 09:38 AM
I am pretty sure he told be he has the 19's

GotMyG8V8
04-30-2009, 09:48 AM
How would you space out the wheels?

Ktlplxm
04-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Not to be a smartass, but a wheel spacer. Sorry, that's just what they're called. Depending upon the type of wheel you have the spacers can vary. If you have a super high offset, then a billet studded piece can be used.

GotMyG8V8
04-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Alright, i have the sport package 19's, so i'll just need the regular wheel spacer. Should be able to purchase that from any performance shop i assume? Maybe even an autozone type deal?

PS - you can be a smartass all you want, as long as i get an answer! I don't know much so it's helping me improve my own personal knowledge base :) Thanks!

MtbDoc
04-30-2009, 10:16 AM
This is bad news...spacing the wheels out is not what I was hoping for.

Well, perhaps we can get some OBJECTIVE info on a GT w/ DBA rotors and better pads. I was really looking forward to just slipping on the GXP brakes.

PerfectD3
04-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Hrmmm so you don't think they'll fit on the factory 18s? Even though I got the sport package I told them to take off the 19s and put the 18s back on.

Ktlplxm
04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't know about the 18's. I didn't have one to test fit. Depending upon the design of the wheel, it may be possible

Ktlplxm
04-30-2009, 11:31 AM
This is bad news...spacing the wheels out is not what I was hoping for.

Well, perhaps we can get some OBJECTIVE info on a GT w/ DBA rotors and better pads. I was really looking forward to just slipping on the GXP brakes.

haha you aren't the only one!! If no one buys the set up from me, I may end up "coming across" a set of CTS-V wheels, and parting with the Breytons even though I love the way they look

99-LS1-SS
04-30-2009, 12:09 PM
I would love to have a set of CTS-V wheels too but I don't want to pay what people are asking right now.

Ktlplxm
04-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Ah. they're not that bad. I wouldn't buy them from most people either they have bumped their heads. I can get 'em new through my GM parts guy for a hundred bucks less per wheel. Then if the price does stay high, I don't have to worry about seeing another G8 with them for a while.

MichaelG8
04-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Hrmmm so you don't think they'll fit on the factory 18s? Even though I got the sport package I told them to take off the 19s and put the 18s back on.

WHat the hell did you do that for?????

solty
04-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Have you guys looked at the stopping distance reported by auto magazines after testing the G8 GT and GXP. They are almost identical if not identical. The G8 GT has great brakes from the factory. Granted they don't look as cool as the Brembo, but I am sure these puppies cost an arm and a legg.....that would not be where I spend my money, but that because I don't have enought of it :-( Looking good man, those are beautifull calipers.

GeorgeInNePa
04-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Have you guys looked at the stopping distance reported by auto magazines after testing the G8 GT and GXP. They are almost identical if not identical. The G8 GT has great brakes from the factory. Granted they don't look as cool as the Brembo, but I am sure these puppies cost an arm and a legg.....that would not be where I spend my money, but that because I don't have enought of it :-( Looking good man, those are beautifull calipers.

They're not for the initial stop, they are for repeated stops. ;)

These reduce brake fade.

Ktlplxm
04-30-2009, 10:27 PM
I'd still be willing to bet they stop better initially, too. After repetitive stops, like George said, they will become very noticeable. They aren't expensive by any means, but you are right, it prob isnt the first thing someone would spend money on. Then again, at some point, we reach that stage where better braking is a good idea

Big Daddy G8
05-01-2009, 07:59 AM
I just installed the DBA slotted, and Hawk HPS pads. I only drove it a little while as I broke off one of the rear bolts re-installing the sub-frame doing the Pedders bushings and Xa's (at the shop now as I have officially exceeded my abilities at this point.)

The initial bite does not seem to be as firm as the stock, but I have not really gotten on them yet, and have not been to a track day. My old rotors were shot after 33k miles, three sets of pads and several track days, so at least with the new DBA's I no longer feel like I am re-entering the atmosphere while braking hard.

I will post again once I have had more seat time. Going to do skyline drive next week, which will give me plenty of opportunity to give em a real workout.

MtbDoc
05-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Skyline will be fun! Although down south on the Parkway you have to get out on it during the week. I can't wait to take this car to the Tail of the Dragon once I've got the suspension pieces in place. One of my most fun driving experiences (notice, I didn't say most fun experiences IN a car) was wringing out my old Taurus SHO on the Tail, dicing with some sport bikes. I could out brake them and that was surprising. Come in FAST and stand that car up on the front wheels (or so it seemed). I miss that car (and it's 3000lb weight).

I really hope the DBA + good pads is going to be a viable option. I'd rather not spend the $$ on the Baer setup if I don't have to.

EcoBrick Bob
05-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Regarding Spacers.... Will you put them on over the existing lug bolts??? If so, isn't there a safety issue because there will be too few threads holding the wheels on with the stock wheel nuts???

ETIDMotorsports
05-01-2009, 07:10 PM
haha you aren't the only one!! If no one buys the set up from me, I may end up "coming across" a set of CTS-V wheels, and parting with the Breytons even though I love the way they look

Does the CTS-V have the same bolt pattern as we do?

LS6GXP
05-01-2009, 09:31 PM

What Breyton wheels do you have?

Ktlplxm
05-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Does the CTS-V have the same bolt pattern as we do?

Yes it does. Plus the CTS-V has a 19 x 9 front and a 19 x 9.5 rear

What Breyton wheels do you have?

Breyton Race CS

Ktlplxm
05-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Regarding Spacers.... Will you put them on over the existing lug bolts??? If so, isn't there a safety issue because there will be too few threads holding the wheels on with the stock wheel nuts???

No. I wouldn't use just a regular spacer. There is a hubcentric spacer (taking place of the hub ring) that is the optimal one. There is just enough room left for thread engagement. All you need for max clamping force is the equivalent of the diameter of the lug laterally, ie on a 12mm stud you get as much clamping force with 12mm of engagement as you do an inch, and 14mm or .55" worth of engagement on our cars.

BigV8
05-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Lets see, i'll get the brembos then the gxp rims and then the rear diffuser, put on GXP badges and sell it as a GXP to someone, they will never know if they have never driven one. LOL. sorry the brembos did'nt work out thanks for the post.

Ktlplxm
05-02-2009, 11:11 AM
little crooked, but to each their own lol

BSmith
05-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Any chance we can get a couple measurements from say the face of the rotor to the spokes on a set of stock wheels? Close to the hub and towards the edge. Add 1/4", get some dimensions on the caliper vs the rotor and we can work on making a template for people to use to check their wheels.

Yes, I am selfishly motivated by this. ;)

nebur8
05-06-2009, 02:47 PM
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/575996-cts-v-brakes-something-different-4.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/attachments/suspension-brakes/76884d1160305342-cts-v-brakes-something-different-31_1.jpg

i wonder if these are the same as the gxp brakes. These are also brembos btw.

nebur

Ktlplxm
05-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Already sold all of the parts. Everything was very close on the factory wheel. I do not mind close on something of mine, but I didnt want to be responsible for the fitment on everyone elses cars

Panzer Leader
05-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Lets see, i'll get the brembos then the gxp rims and then the rear diffuser, put on GXP badges and sell it as a GXP to someone, they will never know if they have never driven one. LOL. sorry the brembos did'nt work out thanks for the post.

Yea, I am planning the same thing with my V6.:secret:

1bad03snake
05-21-2009, 04:05 AM
what did you have invested in the gxp brakes?

Ktlplxm
05-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Can't really say outta fairness to some vendors. I get everything at cost, and if someone finally produces a kit for them, I'd hate to be responsible for customers nitpicking their price. I do however believe it would be safe to say that 1000.00 is a very fair price for the parts and time necessary to figure it out. A lot of trial and error goes into the fitment

StockG8
05-27-2009, 10:58 PM
The factory 18's are 18x8 +48 offset (made by Enkei's). I'm sure the GXP wheels are high placement designs which mean the spokes comes out more for the brake caliper clearance.