PDA

View Full Version : Dash cluster change

guitarman
04-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Does anybody know how to change the dash cluster???? Is there anyone out there that specializes in this or at least sells the overlay.My rebadge is complete and I will post some pretty interesting pictures shortly,but I need to change out the dash. Thanks Guys!!! Bob( guitarman)

DewieJr
04-28-2009, 11:31 PM
I wish I had the red banded gauges, but so far haven't found anyone selling anything to convert or the like to this.

deputycrawford
04-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Guitarman, I am looking for the same thing. Very interested if you come up with something.

GTPprix
04-29-2009, 03:10 AM
I've got a Tier 1 OEM supplier making these for us.

Ktlplxm
04-29-2009, 05:28 AM
I wish I had the red banded gauges, but so far haven't found anyone selling anything to convert or the like to this.

I have an extra red banded cluster. How many miles are on yours? I may consider a trade out depending on that

GTPprix
04-29-2009, 05:29 AM
DO NOT SWAP CLUSTERS. There are a myriad of things that will happen and lets just say none of them are good including flags that show odo tampering in other modules LOL

Ktlplxm
04-30-2009, 07:12 AM
I've swapped them once already with no issues. The problem arises when people don't do it the right way

GTPprix
04-30-2009, 07:14 AM
I've swapped them once already with no issues. The problem arises when people don't do it the right way

No the problem arises when the VIN doesnt match the VIN stored in other modules and dealerships see a flag that denotes odometer fraud LOL I deal with Holden Clusters all day long trust me on this one. Also this is not something thats really smart to be posting on the internet LOL

Ktlplxm
04-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Were not doing it to commit odo. fraud. You reflash the gauges to your vin and no problem. Set the odo where it belongs and be done

GTPprix
04-30-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm guessing you personally have never programmed one of these things ;) Once its programmed its locked, no more access to VIN or ODO info so unless you are using NEW units there is no way for you to program the VIN or ODO. Plus the VIN and ODO are ghosted at random intervals in the Microcontroller not just the EEPROM so even if you change the VIN/ODO in the EEPROM it still knows ;)

I'm not trying to start anything by any means just alot of misinformation gets out like this and people end up in court like they did with the GTO :\

Ktlplxm
04-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Gotcha. I just haven't had any issues with mine at dealerships but I could see how that could pose a problem. Is it where the vehicle itself logs the info, or where its something that is checked by dealerships just being nosey? I received a cluster, took it to the dealership, told them I needed it flashed with my ODO info and installed. Picked it up a few hours earlier and haven't had any problems since. So either they just slid it in and didn't say anything about not being able to flash it (which really wouldn't surprise me at all) or a new method has been developed for doing this particular job.

tosspint
05-04-2009, 11:38 AM
I've got a Tier 1 OEM supplier making these for us.

Chris,
Is this for the red banded gauge cluster overlay like the two tone interor gets? If so, count me totally in!

GTPprix
05-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Yes its just a matter of getting the project in between OEM stuff which you'd THINK right now would be easy, I've been playing hide and seek with them since December LOL

tosspint
05-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Awesome, great to hear Chris!! Looking forward to this.

christiancoach
05-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Are we talking about switching the instrument cluster to an SSC cluster? I have my SSV front end on now and was curious about installing a cluster that doesn't have Pontiac, and G8 on the Speedo and Tach.
Can I get a cluster without that, and still have MPH and KPH??

Thanks

DewieJr
05-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Yes its just a matter of getting the project in between OEM stuff which you'd THINK right now would be easy, I've been playing hide and seek with them since December LOL

I'm waiting patiently for these, I really would like the red banded gauges or something like them. :)

DewieJr
05-04-2009, 11:54 PM
I have an extra red banded cluster. How many miles are on yours? I may consider a trade out depending on that

I have 1,547 miles right now, but I guess like GTP said, not a good idea. Thanks though.

mario1956
06-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Whatever happened to this? I would be interested in purchasing the cluster outright if you still have it.

deputycrawford
06-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Bump. I would love to get the Holden insert. Didn't I see one on JHP website for awhile?

christiancoach
06-30-2009, 10:53 AM
I talked to Geoff at JHP yesterday and they do not have a fix. The warning/idiot lights are in different positions on the GT and SSV. Also there is no place else in the world that the guages have the MPH and KPH on them.
The easiest fix would be a sticker to overlay the Pontiac and G8 Logo's. Of course the new lettering would not be illuminated, but I can live with that. This is the final step in my makeover and I want to get it taken care of soon.
Who can make some overlays?

deputycrawford
06-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Godd idea coach. I am in for the overlays. Someone hurry. I am close to completing the conversion. now I just need to swap the steering wheel to the right side. Anyone got a parts list and destructions?

Jerry

christiancoach
06-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Godd idea coach. I am in for the overlays. Someone hurry. I am close to completing the conversion. now I just need to swap the steering wheel to the right side. Anyone got a parts list and destructions?

Jerry

DON'T GO THERE!! I can't even begin to imagine how complicated and expensive that would be! The one really good question I keep getting asked about my car is, "If it is from AU, why is it left hand drive?"

deputycrawford
06-30-2009, 03:31 PM
LMAO We get all sorts of attention now. Just think if we sold our houses and did the dash conversion with the money. The back seat is big enough to sleep in.
Seriously, I am in for the dash overlay for the lettering. Can we get ahold of destructions for pulling the dash pod and slipping out the panel and having stickers or something over the Pontiac stuff. Hell, Im in for just black stickers to get rid of the stuff until we find the correct symbols.

Jerry

christiancoach
06-30-2009, 04:35 PM
I woudl take just black stickers, but would prefer something with a matching SS and V8 Logo.

ClassicPhysique
08-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Anyone know where I can get the cluster lens. The dealer here in Edmonton, AB Canada, says he can't get one. I noticed a scratch when I picked up my car on delivery and want it fixed.

blackoutgt
08-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Anyone know where I can get the cluster lens. The dealer here in Edmonton, AB Canada, says he can't get one. I noticed a scratch when I picked up my car on delivery and want it fixed.

check with Crazy Paul... if anyone would have it he would.

GTPprix
08-07-2009, 03:19 AM
I stock them I think I still have a couple.

deputycrawford
08-07-2009, 06:37 AM
GTPprix. I'll take an overlay. I can have someone work on covering or cutting out the G8 areas and replace it with just black plastic. Please PM me for a proce. I need to stay broke. I feel normal that way.

Jerry

Crazy Paul
08-08-2009, 02:44 PM

If you get stuck then I can buy one here and ship it to you.

(For people who keep asking....there's only 3 different service parts here that can be bought from Holden. Main Cluster/ Clear Lens/ Mounting Screws).

There are about half a dozen or more different versions of main cluster and all are a sealed unit from the factory.