PDA

View Full Version : Which Turbo System To Use?

deputycrawford
04-28-2009, 08:23 PM
I know this is going to start something but I have done a search and can't find a post on the differences and qualities between the Gen TT and the APS twin systems. Which blow off system is more reliable, Which kit is complete with fuel upgrades etc. I know I'll get as many answers as people who post but I was wondering if a system will hold up to a true daily driver. I mean rain and road debris, leaves in the fall etc.
I see both systems have the turbos under the car as well as the blow offs and even the filters. I want the most power but don't want to be rebuilding the turbos or repairing damage. Would I be a candidate for the maggie or will I be able to drive 15,000 miles a year with turbos?
I love the sound of the headers systems and will be doing cam and ported heads first. I guess my question is, woudl I be better off with a maggie or go for the turbos?

DQGTO
04-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Turbos already!!! lol oh man you got the bug quick

Devilish34
04-29-2009, 02:18 AM
Turbos already!!! lol oh man you got the bug quick

I think that happens a lot :)

DewieJr
04-29-2009, 02:30 AM
I know this is going to start something but I have done a search and can't find a post on the differences and qualities between the Gen TT and the APS twin systems. Which blow off system is more reliable, Which kit is complete with fuel upgrades etc. I know I'll get as many answers as people who post but I was wondering if a system will hold up to a true daily driver. I mean rain and road debris, leaves in the fall etc.
I see both systems have the turbos under the car as well as the blow offs and even the filters. I want the most power but don't want to be rebuilding the turbos or repairing damage. Would I be a candidate for the maggie or will I be able to drive 15,000 miles a year with turbos?
I love the sound of the headers systems and will be doing cam and ported heads first. I guess my question is, woudl I be better off with a maggie or go for the turbos?

If your doing headers then you answered your own question, Maggie, as you can't use headers with a turbo system.

I'd vote for reliability with the Maggie personally if your daily driving it, however you'll get more power with TT's and if done properly and maintained you will have decent reliability, though in Ohio myself, I'd get a daily driver for at LEAST winter either way you go.

deputycrawford
04-29-2009, 03:03 AM
DQGTO...lol I have been a car guy for many years and always wanted to make a fast daily driver. I do have a winter/tow vehicle for my motocross bike. I just wanted to plan my build on this car.
If I go the blower route then I will get the headers, cam and porting done first. If I go the turbo route, I will get them first as I will use my manifolds or supplied manifolds. The cam will be after with turbos because to me a cam will not gain enough with the stock exhaust to put it in itself. Then theres the exhaust. If turbos I will get cat back, with blower, its headers back. I want to plan early.
I started thinking this because I went to our "Motorhead" this weekend and saw my old friends, many of them heavy hitters. Two had Vipers and one had a 9 second Grand National. I want to go fast at the track and drive it everywhere. The blowers up top, out of the raodway and the turbos are under the car. I would kinda like the turbos for the silent torque that kills mortal humans slowly but a blower with big cam and exhaust sounds cool to. I just don't know yet what kit to install. Would turbos run maintenance free for years?

Ktlplxm
04-29-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm not sure about the Gen TT kit, but the aps does not have fuel or tuning upgrades. I'm not aware of a turbo kit that does include everything, just the superchargers

The Commodore
04-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Off-topic but whats more reliable?

Cam or stroker vs. FI?

DQGTO
04-29-2009, 11:35 AM
then go Maggie. I love the whine of that man with some sick headers and a good exhaust. Turbos are cool and put down some sick power but I love superchargers. I wanna throw a twin screw on my GTO on day lol, one very far away day lol

Ktlplxm
04-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Off-topic but whats more reliable?

Cam or stroker vs. FI?

This always opens a can of worms. There is no real answer. Its purely speculative and relative to the person. Any of the three can be reliable, and all of them can be unreliable. Its more about combination, and your particular wants. Some people like big numbers at the expense of a shorter lifespan (engine wise). Whereas others do not want a loss in economy. Cost has to be factored in, as well as plausible deniability for those of us that don't want just anyone walking by or peering under our hoods and knowing what we have. Cams are hard to hide sometimes. F/I is impossible to hide. Strokers however can be hidden easily, until a large cam goes in and the appropriate exhaust size is used. I'd love FI, but it isn't in the cards for me. I'm now just a little shy in hp from most of the FI guys, and still get better gas mileage than most, so I'd lean towards doing a stroker again, and of course a built bottom end can always take more abuse than a stock one can.

5letr
05-02-2009, 07:15 AM
Cam or stroker vs FI? What is your end power goal? With FI, the potential for insane HP is there. Cam alone will not get you the gains a stroker can, but with a stroker you will need heads or head work and cam to get the full potnetial of a stroker and it get pricey with a good bit of down time. FI can be done in a weekend. Also, consider how much you want to spend.

East TX muscle cars
06-25-2009, 10:54 AM
APS isnt making a kit anymore for the G8, i went to order one of them and a GTO kit and they said they will not produce one till the US economy comes back around