PDA

View Full Version : Will GM have parts for our "collector" cars.....

pkeplinger@unitedcommunit
04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
or will we need to put together group buys for everything out of warranty?

GT G8
04-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Lol

DAVISBS
04-27-2009, 08:22 PM
I own 4 gm vehicles now .My 96 impalass 17000mi Bought new in 95 ,My 04 GMC Sierra LST Z71 bought new in 04 My 08 G8 GT first 888 bought new in 08 and my 06 C6 vert.I get GMS priceing so it always made good for good business to buy GM.I almost bought a G35 when I bought the G8.I love the G8,but now I think I made the wrong decision.My G8 only has 3200 miles on it and if the same thing happens as did with oldsmobile.My G8 is worth about 12-15 K. So I guess I will drive it a couple of years,Give it to one of my sons and buy me an upscale japan sedan.:hang:

GRRRR8
04-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Parts shouldnt be that big of an issue, no more then they were before teh annoncement. :) It might have to come from Oz, but they will be available.

Devilish34
04-28-2009, 03:39 AM
Parts shouldnt be that big of an issue, no more then they were before teh annoncement. :) It might have to come from Oz, but they will be available.

Or just move to Oz.....No pig flu there yet and parts are available :)

chiefpontiac
04-28-2009, 04:26 AM
10 years of supplying parts after a cancelled model is a federal requirement I believe. Powertrain parts will in many instances be shared on Camaro.

EC-Ryder
04-28-2009, 05:23 AM
I’m not worried about power train parts as they should last a long time and are shared by others therefore plentiful, but I am worried about G8 specific parts like some body panels or glass.

Normally I would not be worried about any parts since the aftermarket always comes to the rescue, but so few G8 were made I don’t know if anyone will step up to the plate.

Perhaps someone has stats on other vehicles with similar production numbers were parts are available?

Cheers!

PaFromFL
04-28-2009, 05:37 AM
I’m not worried about power train parts as they should last a long time and are shared by others therefore plentiful, but I am worried about G8 specific parts like some body panels or glass.
Those parts eventually accumulate in junkyards.

Mav
04-28-2009, 05:51 AM
There is a contingency plan in place to produce parts for the vehicle for at least 8 years after production ends on vehicles.

end of story.

EC-Ryder
04-28-2009, 06:02 AM
But let’s not forget that its not just about parts being made, but its also about parts being “readily available” LOL!

norm8332
04-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Those parts eventually accumulate in junkyards.

Without many G8s on the road this may be a pretty small amount though.

And all new parts will have to be bought from GM at their high prices.

zepcom
04-28-2009, 09:41 AM
... and lets not forget that the sides of our G8's are a single panel... (see the "Holden's Billion Dollar Baby" series 1-5 on youtube) so if there ARE any G8's in the junkyards, they probably got there due to an accident, and it may be even harder to find a replacement "side" that hasn't been damaged previously...

that said; I'm not too worried. That's what insurance and warrantees are for. If there is an accident, it will either be fixable (maybe at a higher price due to supply and demand which potentially could push it over the magic "total-it-instead" value) or not...

I still love the car...

--zepcom

wrecked2001
04-28-2009, 11:52 AM
I see this already being overseas they sale US cars over hear,but if there is no UK equivelant vehicle, the prices are higher for the parts and takes longer because of customs and shipping. I have owned small production run cars in the past, if the part is specific to the G8 (body panels,electrical) your cars going to be at service for awhile it just dosen't make good buisness sense to keep these parts in stock. As far as aftermarket parts companies will still make the parts that the vehicles share in common for reasonable price I.E. engine and transmission parts ETC...ETC..., But G8 specific will considerably more expensive, custom or imported.

BlownG8GT
04-28-2009, 03:06 PM
you guys are worrying way too much~

GeorgeInNePa
04-28-2009, 03:11 PM
you guys are worrying way too much~

This.

If it gets wrecked, it will get fixed. If parts are not available, it will get totaled. Then buy a Camaro or a Charger or etc.

Engine and electrical parts should be available.

TonyKarter
04-28-2009, 03:44 PM
ChiefPontiac is right (as always!)...Just checked with my dealership, they just out from a satellite meeting, said 10 years on parts.

jakers204
04-28-2009, 07:32 PM
:banana:
ChiefPontiac is right (as always!)...Just checked with my dealership, they just out from a satellite meeting, said 10 years on parts.

:banana::banana:

Good not to worry