PDA

View Full Version : CAI question

bwooten492
09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
OK I have a question about which CAI to buy. I really like the price of the New Era but I dont like the fact that it doesn't have an airbox. Couldn't you gain more by getting a CAI with an airbox? It seems to me that just a filter on the end of an elbow and some piping wouldnt do as much as one that is more of a "full system"? Any help?

GRRRR8
09-03-2008, 03:37 AM
Roto-fab and New Era on a dyno make almost the same power. Both need a tune to optimize power for max gains. If you do my air mods there is even more to be gained.

Chewy
09-03-2008, 05:36 AM
I see the benefits of the air box design like the Roto but the New Era one is pretty tried and true too. I went with the NE as it was the only one out at the time and I got the introductory offer. NOW... I haven't installed it yet as my car took a slow boat from Australia and is STILL sitting in port. Many have it and like it. The only negative I've heard is that it doesn't bolt to anything but I could care less. Many have it and haven't had an issue with it so It'll work for me.:)

GTPprix
09-03-2008, 05:47 AM
Of all the intakes we've tested for this car the Roto-Fab made the most and the most consistent power (exactly what it states about 20RWHP on a stock car) It performs so well we abandonded our plans to make our own intake because we felt we couldnt make anything to complete with it for the price. Again YMMV but thats our stance :)

EcoBrick Bob
09-03-2008, 05:50 AM
:rant2::rant2:
I see the benefits of the air box design like the Roto but the New Era one is pretty tried and true too. I went with the NE as it was the only one out at the time and I got the introductory offer. NOW... I haven't installed it yet as my car took a slow boat from Australia and is STILL sitting in port. Many have it and like it. The only negative I've heard is that it doesn't bolt to anything but I could care less. Many have it and haven't had an issue with it so It'll work for me.:)

Caan you sayyyy "CODES".... The harder you drive your ride... the more likely it will loosen and fall apart... You can over torque the hose clamps....
REMEMBER... THE HEAVY END HANGS DOWN INTO THE FENDERWELL... It's only support is resting at an angle on a square foam pad that is stuck to the
fender.

Not wanting to be putting the thing back together in the middle of the night on I-29 in Tennessee MTNS - 700 mi from home...

RRM

:rant2:

Chewy
09-03-2008, 06:09 AM
:rant2::rant2:

Caan you sayyyy "CODES".... The harder you drive your ride... the more likely it will loosen and fall apart... You can over torque the hose clamps....
REMEMBER... THE HEAVY END HANGS DOWN INTO THE FENDERWELL... It's only support is resting at an angle on a square foam pad that is stuck to the
fender.

Not wanting to be putting the thing back together in the middle of the night on I-29 in Tennessee MTNS - 700 mi from home...

RRM

:rant2:

That's why I constantly check this stuff. If you drive with blinders on you will probably have an issue. If I have an issue with the NEP intake I will change it out with something better.

I guess I just like being different and not follow the leader all the time. :headbang:

bwooten492
09-03-2008, 10:09 AM
I hope I didn't piss anybody off by posting this... seeing as NE is a sponsor, but it sounds to me its better to spend the extra $75 or whatever and get a roto fab. I like the idea of the airbox, even if it is just there so the intake tube can rest on and not just hang down. thanks alot guys.

EcoBrick Bob
09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Clarification -

NEP CAI quality and materials were first rate. I too had seen that others liked it before I ordered.

I am not a novice to CAI's as I have them on EVERY car I currently own.

No one brought up the fact it was not mounted securely before I bought it in late April.

Talked via e-mail with Mike at NEP. He was very responsive and was more than willing to take it back. I did have to pay freight both ways and a 20% re-stocking charge. I am sure he has a first rate shop and if I lived near Rochester, NY, I'm sure I would have him tuning my car.

Also, I am very concerned about warranty hassles so don't want to do mods that will create problems between GM & me. Hence I have a second ECM & a DashHawk.

On a side note, I have a VMS HSRK (IAT sensor) mounted in the hump hose on my CAI. Originally this hump hose was on the engine side of the Mass Air Flow Sensor. I moved it to the filter side to keep it as cool as possible and then asked Roto Fab if this could cause any problems. Their response is that they used a hump hose section as a "shock absorber" for engine movement within the chasis, and had some concern that if the Mass Air Flow Sensor wasn't secured that it could cause the ECM to CODE. So far I haven't had any problems, but if I do, I will put hoses in proper place. But I have been warned. I point this out only because there would be considerable movement and flexing in a CAI that is not firmly secured.

RRM

bwooten492
09-03-2008, 02:04 PM
ok thanks for clearing that up.