PDA

View Full Version : What is the future of the Commodore (G8 GXP) in the U.S. now that Pontiac is dead?

Method
04-27-2009, 09:50 AM
If you are in a position to have any REAL knowledge (not guessing),
please post.

WoodburyMan
04-27-2009, 09:53 AM
G8's will be sold until the end of the year. They will be the first model to go. It was stated in one of the GM press releases.Then the G5, G3, and G6, and the last will be the Vibe.

SRG963
04-27-2009, 09:53 AM

red_racer2
04-27-2009, 09:54 AM
nothing... they will not bring them in.. Have talked to some people that are in GM and they will not bring it in.. I asked about rebading it to the Lumina SS since its producted in the same factory and the answer was NO....

But then again.. things change..

Method
04-27-2009, 10:03 AM
GM absolutely NEEDS to sell the G8 GT/GXP with Chevrolet badging here in the US.

What can the community do to insure this will happen ?????

Mike P
04-27-2009, 10:34 AM
GM absolutely NEEDS to sell the G8 GT/GXP with Chevrolet badging here in the US.

Yep, I agree 100%, it is a great platform (Zeta RWD), and they should DEFINITELY move it over to Chevrolet and make it a Lumina or call it a "CHEVROLET G8" & "CHEVROLET G8 GXP"

To me that would be all good.......

They seem to sell.....

foreosu
04-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Unbelievable. Every single person (not exagerating) that I've showed my car to or has ridden in it has commented at how great of a car it is and how "unlike GM" it is. This is such a dumb move by GM, imo.

r33pwrd
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
well I watched the video and he was asked about the future of Holden and he really did not answer that question... so the next question is will Holden get the axe???

Slizzo
04-27-2009, 12:38 PM
well I watched the video and he was asked about the future of Holden and he really did not answer that question... so the next question is will Holden get the axe???

I suppose it's likely, Holden is the only GM brand that GM has not commented on. Either they're trying to keep the brand out of the limelite so they can continue operation, or they don't want to say anything yet because they're trying to find out what they can do with them.

Incredibly sad position this whole event produced. The Commodore is a hot commodity no matter where in the world it's sold and what badge/front end is on the car.

g8_ogre_gt
04-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Is Holden wholey owned by GM?

Slizzo
04-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Is Holden wholly owned by GM?

Fixed for ya. :nah:

And yes, I believe they are.

dodson914
04-27-2009, 12:52 PM
This same question was asked on a camaro forum I am on and here is the answer we got from one of the most reputable members/GM employees on the site.

A couple of things:

>The G8 is an INCREDIBLE car - but my friends, they are not 'flying off the shelf' so to speak - - in fact, there are many of them in PEP vehicle service here in Detroit because of slow sales......

>It isn't quite that easy to take the Middle East Lumina and bring it over here -- that car has hundreds of engineering changes and parts and components changes that would need to be made in order to make it compliant with U.S. Safety/Crashworthiness/Fuel System/Emissions Systems standards -- and I don't see us spending any money right now on something like this -- there is just too many other things that need to be done right now.

Would I like to see a Chevy version of the G8? BOY HOWDY!!!!

UGotSmkd
04-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Yep, I agree 100%, it is a great platform (Zeta RWD), and they should DEFINITELY move it over to Chevrolet and make it a Lumina or call it a "CHEVROLET G8" & "CHEVROLET G8 GXP"

To me that would be all good.......

They seem to sell.....

......and market the hell out of it. They could definitely put emphasis on the RWD pushrod small block.

r33pwrd
04-27-2009, 01:01 PM
......and market the hell out of it. They could definitely put emphasis on the RWD pushrod small block.

to bad thats not what is selling.... guys the think to remeber is that people like us are a dying bread... MOST American want a 30mpg car that is "green" like a malibu or a prius or a hybrid something the G8 is bad ass but selling 3K a month it just not worth making from a income point of view. the only car GM could justify selling with little to no income would be the vette as it is their flagship car.

PerfectD3
04-27-2009, 01:54 PM
to bad thats not what is selling.... guys the think to remeber is that people like us are a dying bread... MOST American want a 30mpg car that is "green" like a malibu or a prius or a hybrid something the G8 is bad ass but selling 3K a month it just not worth making from a income point of view. the only car GM could justify selling with little to no income would be the vette as it is their flagship car.

So true, more and more it seems when people asking me about the car, the first question is, "what is the mpg?"

Panzer Leader
04-27-2009, 02:07 PM
OK, if GM sells off Holden, I'll buy stock to keep it going. Not only do I like the cars but I like the Aussies. Some really rich guy or guys need to think about this and do it right. One day I will be telling my great nieces and nephews about a time when a great car was built and the evil United Ass Workforce, General Morons and Big Brother killed it off. Howver, as the UAW and the Federal Government are now the major stockholders, I guess the new model will be known as the COMRADE, available only in red, Hammer and Sickle Insignia and get only one state controlled radio station. Almost makes me want to take the musket off the mantel!!!

BlueJacket
04-27-2009, 02:12 PM

What can we do? If we each buy 10-15 G8's each I think we can get them to change their minds.

NAiLs
04-27-2009, 02:17 PM
What can we do? If we each buy 10-15 G8's each I think we can get them to change their minds.

Can I get a house with a 20 car garage to go along with that, please?

r33pwrd
04-27-2009, 02:27 PM

Problem is GM needs cars they can sell 20K+ a month of not 3K a month.

BlueJacket
04-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Problem is GM needs cars they can sell 20K+ a month of not 3K a month.

Ok we buy 100 each. Problem solved.:nah:

G8GXP4now
04-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Dudes,

Like Bea Arthur, the G8 is dead. Just accept it and move on.

dllb
04-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Last November the AU government anounced a 6.2 billion dollar auto bailout for AU auto manufacturers. I don't know if they actually got it. I would guess they like cars being made there instead of imported, I don't think holden is in trouble of going unfunded.

http://www.carcentral.com.au/200811112926/government/government-reveals-$6.2-billion-auto-bailout-package.html

Virus
04-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Maybe it's not dead:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/28/report-group-working-on-bringing-holden-commodore-to-u-s-polic/

Crazy Paul
05-01-2009, 04:19 AM
Maybe it's not dead:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/28/report-group-working-on-bringing-holden-commodore-to-u-s-polic/

More info here on the Law Enforcement G8
http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=4082

Someone who has inside info told me today the number being thrown around is 40,000 possible cop spec "Chevy" G8's for export to USA.

EC-Ryder
05-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Dudes,

Like Bea Arthur, the G8 is dead. Just accept it and move on.

NOPE…It’s not over till the fat lady sings…Too much at stake…The FORCE IS with the G8 and it will somehow come back stronger!

:watch:

Cheers!

95_9C1
05-02-2009, 10:42 AM
the VE/G8 is in my prayers

Larry GT
05-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Wishful thinking, at best. All we can hope is that are new cars become collectibles.