PDA

View Full Version : BlueSTAR

MABG8er
04-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Looks like they got it all working. But now they can't sell it over on the other place because they haven't paid the corporate machine. How lame is that?

norm8332
04-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm on the list. (Or at least I was) Who exactly is the contact anyways to buy this direct?

They are just money grubbers at the other board and don't care at all about G8 owners. Just there for a buck. They have some good mods but the owners are jerks.

dllb
04-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Think I'm going to ask this company if they would mod one of their bluetooth/Ipod GMLan products to work with the G8.

This adding seperate devices one at a time to add functionalities is getting a little old. LOL. Would be nice to have 1 unit do it all.

lockpick interface to GM and other Radios (plus bluetooth) (http://www.coastaletech.com/)

VegasNate
04-26-2009, 12:12 PM
I found their website:http://costartech.com/pb/products/products.html

G8 not listed yet but at least we know it works now and where to get it.

Kermit
04-27-2009, 06:52 AM
This is what I got in a PM.

http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar-g8-group-buy.html

Top Speed
04-27-2009, 06:52 AM
I just ordered via the group buy.

PerfectD3
04-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Meh I'm going to wait until someone gets the bluetooth support that shows caller id, etc.

norm8332
04-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Got mine ordered!

Charles
04-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure how this board handles "Group Buys"...

But if anybody has any questions or needs anything (like the Promo code), let me know.

I'm kinda fed up with the other board, as those of you that peruse both, can tell.

Charles

PerfectD3
04-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey Charles, welcome to grrr8!

Slizzo
04-27-2009, 09:21 AM
So the only problem with this I see is that you cannot keep your OnStar functionality while using this device...

Unfortunately, this means that it's out for me. :hang:

MABG8er
04-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Well given how awesome CoStar has been so far, I'd imagine it's not unreasonable to ask them to support a pass through to Onstar or a new module that shows contact information.

Welcome to the resistance Charles.

Charles
04-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I think I've had it with that board.

Guess I will have to make a copy of my Installation guide and post it over here.

I thought I left DRAMA when I graduated high school 17 years ago!

Charles

TY2185
04-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Welcome Charles...
I tried sending you this way with a PM but it must have been deleted.

Charles
04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Welcome Charles...
I tried sending you this way with a PM but it must have been deleted.

Actually, I got it (Censored and All). Just been so busy.
I see you own a TY. I believe one of my buddies still owns SYTY.net (Keith)

Charles

TY2185
04-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Actually, I got it (Censored and All). Just been so busy.
I see you own a TY. I believe one of my buddies still owns SYTY.net (Keith)

Charles

Yep... I know Keith I've met him at a national meet with the SYTY's
I spend an equal amount of time between here and there.:)

Thanks for your efforts on BlueSTAR.

Chewy
04-27-2009, 12:45 PM
I think I've had it with that board.

Guess I will have to make a copy of my Installation guide and post it over here.

I thought I left DRAMA when I graduated high school 17 years ago!

Charles

Do as you please! :)

A lot of us are here for the same reason.

Is this site here to make money? NOPE! Is it here to help G8 owners and use vendors to help pay the hosting and software upgrade fee's while giving them a place to sell their wares? YEP!

Post what links you want. If you're a vendor then talk to Charlie (GRRRR8).

I like the sound of this system Charles. PLEASE give us detailed info. Where it installs and all that.

Chris

See Bluestar PDF link below

mpneill
04-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Think I'm going to ask this company if they would mod one of their bluetooth/Ipod GMLan products to work with the G8.

This adding seperate devices one at a time to add functionalities is getting a little old. LOL. Would be nice to have 1 unit do it all.

lockpick interface to GM and other Radios (plus bluetooth) (http://www.coastaletech.com/)

Any word from coastal e-tech? This looks promising, as I'd like to add bluetooth and keep OnStar, or at least have the option to keep it.

Mark

Sarge54
04-27-2009, 10:49 PM
I too would like to keep Onstar for various reasons. I hope this becomes a possibility as I'm about to pick up an '09 G8 without Bluetooth.

norm8332
04-30-2009, 02:39 PM
I would just like to report that I received my Bluestar today and it works perfectly! I can finally get some use out of those phone buttons on the steering wheel!

Stereo turns down automatically when calling or answering and returns when you hang up. It says Voice in on the HU.

If you don't use onstar and want blutooth this works.

MoMorg
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Got mine today. Simple install. Everyone I have talked to says it is much better than my Jawbone. Onstar was good for one thing, a good microphone in the car.

mpneill
04-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Charles,

You didn't return my PM (on the other G8 forum) on how to contact Chris. I'm thinking I'll hold out till CoStar allows for A2DP (bluetooth streaming music) through the head unit. If they get that solved I might ditch OnStar, though I'd really like to have the option of both.

Top Speed
05-02-2009, 03:29 PM
BluesStar came in yesterday. Simple install. Works as advertised. OnStar is gone!

caretaker
05-02-2009, 04:18 PM
I got mine yesterday and put it in today after the rain stopped.
About a 10 - 15 minute install.
Paired perfectly with my Samsung Omnia and works fine.
Steering wheel On/Off, Volume and Mute buttons work
just like they are supposed to.
Also bumped up the bass on the subwoofer amp to the max
while I was in the trunk. What a difference!!

gpblackgt
05-08-2009, 06:01 AM
Just ordered mine!

Chewy
05-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Added tags and order bluestar...

I hope it works with an iPhone... Can't see why it wouldn't.

I've NEVER used Onstar in my car so WTF... Might as well bin it for this...

Hope this works with my Auto Dimming Mirror I installed. Can't see why not...

Chris

Mlozano
05-08-2009, 04:34 PM
LOL, i was the one that sent the an email back around october - november asking them if they had a system compatible with the G8, they said they would by the end of the month, they never got back to me, i completely forgot about them.

Chewy
05-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Anyone able to take me some pics of where this PC board goes? The pics on their directions are nothing if not worthless... Ugh!

Thanks,
Chris

Chewy
05-14-2009, 05:35 PM
OK well since y'all didn't or couldn't I did... Installed and it works well. I am wondering if any of you are experiencing a bit of white noise when in use?

Took only 10 minutes or so. If I did one again it may take 3. :)

Thanks,
Chris

dandragonrage
05-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Any chance they'd be able to get caller ID going, or does the "rest" of the G8 not support that anyway?

zabolots
05-15-2009, 04:05 AM
I am wondering if any of you are experiencing a bit of white noise when in use?

Yes, I have the constant "hiss" in the background when in use as well. Not bad enough to really complain about, but it is noticeable.

dklau33
05-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Just got mine yesterday and installed it. Everything was a snap. I get the "hiss" as well. When I get the chance I'm going to try to adjust the installation a bit more to leave the module less exposed.

sdown
05-19-2009, 04:57 PM
I have a 2009 with no bluetooth and On-Star gave me 130 mins of anywhere in North America time for $19. Apparently it's usually $39 and he said On-star will continue to extend this 130 minute package to 2009 G8 owners who thought they were getting bluetooth.

dandragonrage
05-19-2009, 05:56 PM
130 minutes for $19 is crap. Period. I get 500 minutes, unlimited data, unlimited text from my cell phone for $30/mo + tax. (Sprint SERO)

fiveoh
05-20-2009, 04:54 AM
Maybe I missed it but how much does this cost?

Chewy
05-20-2009, 06:22 AM
Maybe I missed it but how much does this cost?

$250.00 and IMO WELL worth it. It works VERY well. I only use my phone on 4 lane divided highways and you really can't hear the hiss then. It's not intrusive IMO.

It's a cheap alternative to get bluetooth for those of us not wanting to use onstar.

It's great! I can plug my iPhone into my aux input and listen to music and then when a call comes in it mutes it and then I hit the button to talk!

Couldn't be happier.:)

zabolots
05-23-2009, 06:45 AM
FYI, I used to use a Motorola T305 (http://www.store.motorola.com/mot/en/US/adirect/motorola?cmd=catProductDetail&showAddButton=true&productID=89170N-VPA) and the wife has said that it had better audio quality than the BlueStar unit I'm now using. Apparently there's an echo with the BlueStar that wasn't present with the T305. Might be related to the integrated OnStar mic.

IMO, the convenience of the steering wheel controls and not having to charge the t305 still makes the BlueStar worth while, but apparently audio quality on the other end isn't perfect.

68rustang
05-24-2009, 05:38 AM
All my reports from the other end say it sounds the same as using the handset.

bigtreepu
07-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Does this show the phone # in the DIC when someone is calling? or does it just say Phone call or whatever?

68rustang
07-08-2009, 06:26 AM
No, it shows "Voice In" if you have the premium radio.

bigtreepu
07-09-2009, 03:40 PM
gotcha....that's what I figured. :( thanks...it still looks awesome for the price though.

Chewy
08-20-2009, 04:33 AM
Anyone else having issues of the person you're talking to hearing themselves or an echo of themselves? I have it really bad. To the point where I can't use it because they complain that it's really bad...

Let me know,
Chris

68rustang
08-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Every now and then I get a reported echo. I think it has more to do with the cellular connection than it does the CoStar unit.

2StepsAhead
12-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Bump, anyone else get the echo? Looking to order mine soon.

BluYa76
12-25-2009, 06:45 PM

There's a newer version coming out some point in Jan. Check there website for the new info. The old version can no longer be ordered.

Sycosis
01-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Thanks for this information! I am going to wait until wife uses up the 150 minutes she received with Onstar!

dllb
01-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Have to wonder about this line in their faq though..

"The BlueSTAR 2010 kit is $279 and includes everything needed for installation in vehicles from 2002-2007"

There's a newer version coming out some point in Jan. Check there website for the new info. The old version can no longer be ordered.

2StepsAhead
01-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Did the newer version work on the echo? Theres a slightly used one for sale on the other forum but its obviously the older unit...wondering if the new one clears this issue up.

Snakey
01-02-2010, 07:25 PM
I just canceled my OnStar even after being offered $12.00 a month fees. This would replace the OnStar module and give me bluetooth in my car then correct?

2StepsAhead
01-02-2010, 07:32 PM
I just canceled my OnStar even after being offered $12.00 a month fees. This would replace the OnStar module and give me bluetooth in my car then correct?
Yup, plug and play.

jonesbr
02-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Hello Guys,

Been following your forum about the BlueStar and I wanted to invite anyone who's interested to join a group buy I'm putting together. It mainly involves GM Truck drivers, but I believe we can add a few more people and wanted to offer anyone here who's interested a chance to join.

Here's our current status:

I've emailed Chris (Mr. Costar) asking specifics such as price & timeline on when we need to get our orders in. As I understand it now he sets up a special website for us to order through.

I'm not positive on this, but I'm guessing we all need to get our orders placed within a certain time limit for the group buy to become official. In the past, group buys have needed a minimum of 10 buyers to qualify, so I'm trying to organize a list of everyone who wishes to be involved. Please contact me either here with a private message, or via my email (jonesbr@hotmail.com) with your contact information so I can get an updated list together and we can get our BlueStar 2010's!

Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks - Brandon

jonesbr
02-09-2010, 07:40 AM
GROUP BUY PRICING IS HERE!

Ok guys the time is here. The price for the group buy is officially $225, if you want to be a part of it I need you to email me on my regular email. It's too time consuming logging into the different thread email accounts, and they're not user friendly for organizing something like this. I promise I won't use your email for anything other than this group buy, frankly I'm too busy to do anything like that!

Email me - jonesbr@hotmail.com

Let me know if you are in so we can get it started. Our TIMELINE TO ORDER IS LIMITED once it starts so I want to make sure we are organized and people get their orders in on time.

Looking forward to hearing from you - Brandon

Chewy
02-09-2010, 09:23 AM

I found that if the volume is up to much it will echo... 11 is about max unfortunately... :facepalm2: My biggest gripe is that you have to reset the ring volume EVERY TIME you restart the vehicle. What a PITA! I wish it reverted to the lower and not the HIGHEST setting... WTF?

jonesbr
02-09-2010, 12:43 PM
I found that if the volume is up to much it will echo... 11 is about max unfortunately... :facepalm2: My biggest gripe is that you have to reset the ring volume EVERY TIME you restart the vehicle. What a PITA! I wish it reverted to the lower and not the HIGHEST setting... WTF?

You have the older PNP unit right? You've probably already done this, but did you adjust the Default Volume as it describes on the Costar page?

"To change the default volume, link the phone than press the RED mute button. You can than press the White or Blue buttons to change the volume Down or UP respectively. You should hear “beeps” corresponding to the default volume level. You can also use the steering wheel controls as well as the cell phone itself to change volume. Note that the radio volume knob will not change the volume because like the onstar module, the radio might be off during a call."

Rawyzf
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Anymore reviews on this in the G8, I was thinking this one over. What is the regular price also?

pokey
02-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Regular price is $279 according to their website. Best review I found was on the "other" G8 board and a thread with enough posts to give you a headache.

I was looking at this the last time there was a group buy but passed, this time I'm going to purchase. One more item I can mark off my list adding back to my car what should have always been.

Chewy
02-10-2010, 05:42 AM
You have the older PNP unit right? You've probably already done this, but did you adjust the Default Volume as it describes on the Costar page?

"To change the default volume, link the phone than press the RED mute button. You can than press the White or Blue buttons to change the volume Down or UP respectively. You should hear “beeps” corresponding to the default volume level. You can also use the steering wheel controls as well as the cell phone itself to change volume. Note that the radio volume knob will not change the volume because like the onstar module, the radio might be off during a call."

Yes and it reverts back to its initial setting when I turn the car off. :facepalm2:

jonesbr
02-19-2010, 01:10 PM
GROUP BUY UPDATE! Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that the BlueStar 2010 Group Buy has begun. If you didn't get the email from me please let me know so I can send you the information again.

Thanks - Brandon (jonesbr@hotmail.com)

jonesbr
03-15-2010, 12:40 PM
GROUP BUY HAS ENDED, thanks for all of those who took part in making it a success. Sounds like the units have been on backorder will be shipping out today, so get ready for installation. I recommend installing with a USB cord attached so that you can do further updates without removing the unit. Simply run the USB cord to a place that you can access it easily so future adjustments using the Programming Utility can be done easily.

GROUP BUY UPDATE! Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that the BlueStar 2010 Group Buy has begun. If you didn't get the email from me please let me know so I can send you the information again.

Thanks - Brandon (jonesbr@hotmail.com)