PDA

View Full Version : Apparantly official...take it for what it's worth

UGotSmkd
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/24/autos/pontiac_obit/index.htm?cnn=yes

Pontiac sold more cars than Cadillac and twice as many as Buick. The G8 had good reviews, but sales weren't the best. My thing is that the G8 is the best car out there for the money, and IMO the best time to buy is now.

wreckwriter
04-24-2009, 11:01 AM
It's still a "sources said" thing but looking bad...

UGotSmkd
04-24-2009, 11:04 AM
It's still a "sources said" thing but looking bad...

Yeah I noticed that, but it was last updated about 30 mins. ago. so who knows.

wreckwriter
04-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Its basically the same thing Edmunds said early this morning.

-Ray-
04-24-2009, 11:07 AM
This will kill off a lot of GM's dealerships.
Pontiac out numbers all cars here.

UGotSmkd
04-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Its basically the same thing Edmunds said early this morning.

Lol, ok. I just figured since people were saying wait until it hits CNN.

On another note, If Pontiac would have made an SUV crossover or something that appealed to those who like the Enclave and such, maybe it would/could remain operational. I know they made the Aztec, but cmon, they deserve a mulligan on that one.

GTPprix
04-24-2009, 11:11 AM
The odd thing still is NONE of the Detroit news outlets are falling for this yet... Also no one in management that I've talked to has heard a peep about this as well, very strange.

third_shift|studios
04-24-2009, 11:21 AM
i'm so pissed i can't breathe. This will kill their historic foothold of being the company that birthed the Muscle car.

GTPprix
04-24-2009, 11:28 AM
FOR RELEASE: 2009-04-24

Pontiac Statement Re: Media Speculation

Contrary to media speculation, General Motors has not announced any changes to its long-term viability plan or to the future status of any of its brands. GM is continuing to review its restructuring plan to go further and faster and best ensure its future success. Additional information will be released as any decisions are finalized.

# # #

GM strives to ensure that all of the information contained in a press release is accurate at the time it is issued. However, changes in materials, equipment and specifications, prices, availability, etc do occur over time. For the most up-to-date information on currently available models, please visit GM.com/shop.

Duh.

WoodburyMan
04-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Thank god. Thank you Chris for that lol. That will die things down for now.

wreckwriter
04-24-2009, 11:39 AM
GM.com/shop gives a 404.

GTPprix
04-24-2009, 11:41 AM

If it happens it happens, I'm not going to sit here and say its out of the realm of possibility but for the love of Christ STOP SPECULATING!! If it happens THEN weep but to get all worked up over something that no one that I've talked to has heard anything about is just stupid LOL

Toolboxx
04-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Monday official word?

Night Train
04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
We will see what happens. I still lurve my G8

-Ray-
04-24-2009, 12:03 PM

LOL, listen to you.

WoodburyMan
04-24-2009, 12:07 PM
lol, Ray you should have seen the chat on G6P, and read our thread over there on it after it hit CNN.

-Ray-
04-24-2009, 12:09 PM
LOL, no thanks.

EC-Ryder
04-24-2009, 03:13 PM
I can’t bear the PAIN!

Even though I still think GM itself maybe in peril, it still hurts…I’ll guess I’ll move on to the sunset…:drunk:

:hang:

Cheers!

fredl11
04-24-2009, 03:37 PM
another board where GM just released this statement: "Contrary to media speculation, General Motors has not announced any changes to its long-term viability plan or to the future status of any of its brands. GM is continuing to review its restructuring plan to go further and faster and best ensure its future success. Additional information will be released as any decisions are finalized."

Panzer Leader
04-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Here is my plan of action. !. I hope the 2010 DI V6 makes it here. Second, if this is for real, I will buy and store a GXP and finally, I will bend over and let GM and the Federal Government KISS MY A--! And please, if anyone has the number to the White House to call to arrange oil changes and warranty work, please post it. Next model, the Obamamobile

Rick Maddux
04-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Sounds like Monday might be the day we quit speculating. At least most of us will own a piece of history. It looks like we may have made a great investment! Owner of 4 Pontiacs and love em all!

EcoBrick Bob
04-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Likewise just as screwed, Rick!

2-G8's, 1- GTO & a GMC SUV

Instant Antiques....

PantherGTBlack
04-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Likewise just as screwed, Rick!

2-G8's, 1- GTO & a GMC SUV

Instant Antiques....

Looks like it's time to put the G8 in a bubble and start driving the good ol' plymouth acclaim! lol

UGotSmkd
04-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I was listening to a car show on AM radio this morning and they were briefly talking about the G8. This is speculation, but they suggested that the G8 will merge to Chevy or Cadillac so as to not stop production altogether. If GM does happen to shut down Pontiac, then all warranty work will still be honored by dealers with Fed. Gov't money. So all hope is not lost.

SRG963
04-25-2009, 11:44 AM
I've been thinking about this all day.

I would really like to have the Chinese Buick version of our car. I would even pay for the added features, like most everyone would want (magnetic shocks, cooled seats, HUD, etc...).

But I think the chances are slim to none that we get that pimped out version.
I bet we'll see a Chevrolet SS or something similar emerge as the Pontiac G8 disappears :nud::(

and I'm very saddened that Pontiac may go the way Oldsmobile did, but as long as they import this body style from down under, they can call it what ever they want, I'll still buy it (or lease it). That is, as long as I get my LS3 4 door (or 2 door) Commodore.

h34d
04-25-2009, 07:11 PM
I've been thinking about this all day.

I would really like to have the Chinese Buick version of our car. I would even pay for the added features, like most everyone would want (magnetic shocks, cooled seats, HUD, etc...).

But I think the chances are slim to none that we get that pimped out version.
I bet we'll see a Chevrolet SS or something similar emerge as the Pontiac G8 disappears :nud::(

and I'm very saddened that Pontiac may go the way Oldsmobile did, but as long as they import this body style from down under, they can call it what ever they want, I'll still buy it (or lease it). That is, as long as I get my LS3 4 door (or 2 door) Commodore.

I agree with you. I finally found a vehicle that is practically perfect for me in my G8. (I was a mustang guy but got tired of going so slow. Then thought about a vette but wanted a backseat.) I'll beat the dead horse and say how much I hope this car is kept around, in one form or another. I don't really have a brand loyalty anymore, as long as it isn't FWD I'm good. Whatever they do with the G8, as long as they keep it available, I'll keep buying it.

Bobid77
04-26-2009, 06:38 AM
If they kill Pontiac, will all new Pontiacs drop in price?

pokey
04-26-2009, 08:48 AM
As mentioned previously in numerous threads, it is looking bad. CNN has a "quick poll" asking if you have ever owned a pontiac.

I found this on GM Insider News from a year or so ago...I would buy it. Buick wasn't always an old dudes car my dad would drive (and owns)

PontiacDan
04-26-2009, 01:02 PM
well, if they do fold up---i just may have to consider a titan sitting in my driveway(oh wait, did i say that out loud)

johnbell2
04-26-2009, 02:50 PM
well, if they do fold up---i just may have to consider a titan sitting in my driveway(oh wait, did i say that out loud)

Quick, buy one before Nissan changes it to a Dodge in a kimono.

djchubbs
04-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Yes i hear from a friend that is a trainer for pontiac buick ect and he said that he heard pontiac was possilby on the block

bobyoung
04-26-2009, 09:03 PM
As mentioned previously in numerous threads, it is looking bad. CNN has a "quick poll" asking if you have ever owned a pontiac.

I found this on GM Insider News from a year or so ago...I would buy it. Buick wasn't always an old dudes car my dad would drive (and owns)

They used to have the Wildcats with 455's and GS's with 400's but I don't think they ever really shook the old guy image, those cars didn't last a real long time.

GM_Fan
04-27-2009, 02:59 AM
FOR RELEASE: 2009-04-26

MEDIA ADVISORY: GM President and CEO Fritz Henderson to Update Media on Revised GM Viability Plan

Detroit, Mich.(NYSE: GM) - General Motors President and CEO Fritz Henderson will host a press conference on Monday, April 27, to update the media on GM's revised viability plan.

The press conference will run from 9 to 10 a.m. EDT in the Renaissance Conference Center located in Tower 300, Level 2, of the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit.

In addition to Henderson, Ray Young, GM executive vice president and CFO; Troy Clarke, group vice president and president, GM North America; and Mark LaNeve, GMNA vice president, vehicles sales, servicing and marketing, will be available for questions.

The satellite feed for the press conference is:

* Satellite: AMC 15
* Transponder: K3
* Downlink: 11740 Vertical
* Audio: 6.2/6.8
* Analog, Ku Band

A listen and Q&A line will be available for media:

* 800-288-8975 (U.S.)
* +1-612-332-0228 (international/caller-paid)
* No access code is requireds

The press conference will also be webcast at http://media.gm.com. The webcast will be archived at the site for replay after 1 p.m. EDT on April 27.

A conference call for financial analysts and the media will be held on Monday, April 27 at 12:30 p.m. EDT. The call will be hosted by GM President and CEO Fritz Henderson and GM Executive Vice President and CFO Ray Young. They will provide brief remarks, followed by a question-and-answer session for analysts. (Media will be in a listen-only mode.) The call is expected to last approximately 60 minutes.

To access the conference call, please dial 800-913-1647 (or +1-212-231-2902 for international access) 15 minutes prior to the start time and ask to be connected to the General Motors conference call. A taped replay of this call will be made available from 3:00 p.m. ET, April 27, 2009, until 3:00 p.m. ET, April 29, 2009. Please dial 800-633-8284 (or +1-402-977-9140 for international access) and enter reservation number 21423011 to access the taped replay.

We will also webcast the conference call live on our investor website http://investor.gm.com in Calendar/Events in the Recent Events section. A replay of the webcast will also be made available for 30 days.

GotMyG8V8
04-27-2009, 04:36 AM
No need to listen to the webcast, read the release that is on the link provided above, Pontiac is phased out by the end of 2010. Ba$tards.

GM_Fan
04-27-2009, 04:41 AM
They just released that this last hour.

GotMyG8V8
04-27-2009, 04:45 AM
Sorry, meant it to sound like, no need to listen to the webcast now lol.

GM_Fan
04-27-2009, 04:48 AM
Well, we now own history.

I guess I'll keep ahold of my GTO as well now.

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=827&docid=53947

Fewer U.S. brands, nameplates, and dealers

As part of the revised Viability Plan and the need to move faster and further, GM in the U.S. will focus its resources on four core brands, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC. The Pontiac brand will be phased out by the end of 2010. GM will offer a total of 34 nameplates in 2010, a reduction of 29 percent from 48 nameplates in 2008, reflecting both the reduction in brands and continued emphasis on fewer and stronger entries. This four-brand strategy will enable GM to better focus its new product development programs and provide more competitive levels of market support.

Panzer Leader
04-27-2009, 05:01 AM
Again the question, "by the end of 2010", does that mean the 2010 G8 will still come to the U.S.? Hopefully with the DI V6.

g8gxp
04-27-2009, 05:03 AM
so what happens to product support? will we still be able to get replacement parts?

GotMyG8V8
04-27-2009, 05:03 AM
Fritz just said ending production no later than 2010. That being said, i would assume the 2010's will go out as planned with the current model role out schedule. But that's just an assumption.

Australian press just asked how holden was going to be affected. Fritz said that g8 production would be ceased, and gm would help get rid of the inventory, and expected all inventory to be gone by the end of the year. THAT BLOWS. Gotta figure out a way for my girlfriend to get rid of her lease early to get a g8 lol.

johnh
04-27-2009, 05:42 AM
I am saddened.

I love olds (first car was 1972 Cutlass 4-4-2). Dead.
Love pontiacs (owned several) Dead.

Maybe my next car should be a Mustang.

SRG963
04-27-2009, 05:57 AM
I am saddened.

Maybe my next car should be a Mustang.

That's exactly what I'm thinking......seems Ford will be the last one standing:boxing:

Slizzo
04-27-2009, 06:07 AM
That's exactly what I'm thinking......seems Ford will be the last one standing:boxing:

This sucks, the best 4 door sports sedan GM has ever produced, and they're not even going to let buyers KEEP buying the car under Chevy or Buick!

pontiac_gurly
04-27-2009, 06:09 AM
wait and see what the future holds. It should be interesting to watch this pan out.

-Ray-
04-27-2009, 06:26 AM
Only interesting if you have no financial state in GM.

Adam
04-27-2009, 07:13 AM
My last thread was closed only moments after posting but here is the GM video to go along with the link.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/04/25/pontiac.reaction/index.html?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCVideo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/04/25...ef=mpstoryview

Well, CNN is reporting that Pontiac Is done...

Please do not lock, this is actual material from GM's mouth.

PerfectD3
04-27-2009, 07:18 AM
http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=74&docid=53947

The news media has been predicting this, but this is straight from the General.

MGMG8GT
04-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Only interesting if you have no financial state in GM.

I jumped off that ship a long time ago.

kje141
04-27-2009, 08:30 AM
It was only locked because there are other threads which is where it would of been better used to post this video. Just so we don't countless threads that are all about the same things. This also allows the ability for users to go to only one thread and see all of this information. Good video, thanks for the post....but :lock:

DQGTO
04-27-2009, 08:36 AM
i dont even know any more man. whatever. this is terrible. i am not good right now. I will never buy a goddam ford or a rice burner. Pontiacs all I have known. whatever. Losing faith right now in a lot. :hang:

r33pwrd
04-27-2009, 08:42 AM
dont really see what the big deal is... GM is not closing just a division that doesnt even really make cars??? How many true "Pontiac" are made?? The G8 is a Holden not a Pontiac platform...

DQGTO
04-27-2009, 08:46 AM
regardless of where they come from it is still Pontiac. Chevy didnt bring in the Holdens, Pontiac did. Holden is not importing their cars directly bc they cant, so i dont care what car comes from where or how, all I know is that Pontiac had the sense to bring in the G8 which is one of the best performance cars GM has put out in the last 20 years, regardless of its origin. Pontiacs are all I have ever driven, mostly all my dad has driven, its all that is in my driveway right now besides a Trail Blazer for my mom bc she wanted a truck. Pontiacs are special to me, regardless of where they import their cars from, or anything. Chevys have always been cheap to me and shitty, Caddys are too expensive and not my style and Buick, well is buick and they do not appeal to me at all. There was just always something about that arrowhead. And now thats gone. Say what you will it really doesnt matter, there is no more Pontiac and that hurts me.

GotMyG8V8
04-27-2009, 08:46 AM
The brand is the point. The styling of the brand, how it's presented. So if they make the G8 into the new impala or something to that degree, it won't have the styling this car has, it'll have that bland chevy look. I always bought Pontiac because i felt it was a car with good personality for the money, and with the g8 you got a helluvah lot of performance too.

DQGTO
04-27-2009, 08:48 AM
The brand is the point. The styling of the brand, how it's presented. So if they make the G8 into the new impala or something to that degree, it won't have the styling this car has, it'll have that bland chevy look. I always bought Pontiac because i felt it was a car with good personality for the money, and with the g8 you got a helluvah lot of performance too.

Said very well. and I agree 100%

SLVRG8GT
04-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Moment Of Silence For Pontiac.
:hm:

We all knew this was coming so it shouldn't be a big suprise but dammitt I'm pissed!!! :rant: They finally get a great car in the G8. Can you say Impalla? Guess I'll be a Chevy man now on in.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6532439/car-news/pontiac-gone-but-buick-to-get-more-models-government-offered-50-percent-of-gm/index.html

r33pwrd
04-27-2009, 08:57 AM

I agree but if they had brought in the G8 as a comodore you would not have bought it?? Maybe im diffirent but I bought the car for the motor and the tranny not the pontiac emblem

DQGTO
04-27-2009, 08:58 AM
":hang::hang::hang::hang::hang::hang::poof::poof:wi th the G8 going out of production by the end of this year, and the Vibe possibly running through next year." WTF VIBE. VIBE. VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIBE. F GHJgfgsdfhnGFRTEYDJVB FRTDGVB

DQGTO
04-27-2009, 09:00 AM
I agree but if they had brought in the G8 as a comodore you would not have bought it?? Maybe im diffirent but I bought the car for the motor and the tranny not the pontiac emblem

I cant say for sure to be honest. I am totally biased lol. I may say I wouldnt??? Shit i dont know lol. All i know is that i am depressed.

Mav
04-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Just how many threads do we need? really.

GotMyG8V8
04-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I can honestly say I might have overlooked the commodore. The only thing that would've attracted me to it is the fact that it is a GM performance brand just the way Pontiac is (was supposed to be/used to be/should be). If I considered the car, it would've taken me a good long while to understand and study the brand before buying into a 30k dollar car.

Edit: I wouldn't have ever bought a car just because of the name, i would only buy a car that i will stand behind. Which is why i won't ever buy a BMW. I can't stand behind the car. Great performing cars, but I love the g8 as a package in whole, not just for one reason for another. The same way i loved my Grand Prix GTP. I love telling people that's what i drive. Not because it's supercharged, but because of the whole car.

Sorry i'm ranting

kje141
04-27-2009, 09:03 AM
:lock:

99-LS1-SS
04-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Merged

SLVRG8GT
04-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Just how many threads do we need? really.

Chill Cylon gonna Frack you up. Its big news.

SRG963
04-27-2009, 09:09 AM
So depressing......:(

r33pwrd
04-27-2009, 09:12 AM
I guess im not a "hardcore" pontiac guy... will I miss them... sure why not. But it this car didnt have a CHEVY L76 and a CHEVY 6 speed auto tranny i would not bought one... so that being said i would be OK with this car with a Bowtie on it...

You never know caddy may "release" a "low price" luxury sport sedan.... od the G8 could take over the impala..

either way its out of our control and guess what... the G8 is one of the more "rare" model made cars now...

DQGTO
04-27-2009, 09:13 AM
yeah i dont buy Pontiac bc I like the word Pontiac. German cars are not for me, wiring blows among other things. Jap cars I just dont like at all, even though, sadly, Honda puts the most $ into Americans pockets. Pontiacs are just special to me lol. Man I am a pu**y today lol

Greg@PacePerformance
04-27-2009, 09:17 AM
dont really see what the big deal is... GM is not closing just a division that doesnt even really make cars??? How many true "Pontiac" are made?? The G8 is a Holden not a Pontiac platform...

The point is that I am most likely out of a job and many others here. :(
Our companys only hope is for the owner to be able to pick up another GM line or get our performance department bought by another GM dealer.

Devilish34
04-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I don't get the G8 scrubbing though...These are by far the best 4 door rear wheel drive affordable sport sedans ever to be sold by an American car manufacture. I'm not a fan of the Impala look but grrrrrrrrrr keep the platform
in the US

Merged

TY

99-LS1-SS
04-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Our companys only hope is for the owner to be able to pick up another GM line or get our performance department bought by another GM dealer.

That sucks!

r33pwrd
04-27-2009, 09:40 AM

Well thats not good at all... are you guys a Pontiac shop?? From looking at your web site It looks like you guys do a lot more chevy stuff than Pontiac?

Greg@PacePerformance
04-27-2009, 09:46 AM
We are a Pontiac only dealership. But we carry all of the GM Performance line and can get any GM parts offered to US dealers.

WoodburyMan
04-27-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't get the G8 scrubbing though...These are by far the best 4 door rear wheel drive affordable sport sedans ever to be sold by an American car manufacture. I'm not a fan of the Impala look but grrrrrrrrrr keep the platform
in the US

TY

It would make sense for GM to keep it lol.. so naturally, it wont be done. From what I hear they dont plan to offer it in the US under any other brand. The G8 will stop being sold before year end. Apparently the Vibe will be the last car still available from Pontiac.

r33pwrd
04-27-2009, 09:55 AM
We are a Pontiac only dealership. But we carry all of the GM Performance line and can get any GM parts offered to US dealers.

That sucks man... hope you guys can pick up another division.

DQGTO
04-27-2009, 11:03 AM
the goddam vibe thing really kills me the most. jesus christ

Greg@PacePerformance
04-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Well heard the owner came in today in a good mood and says he can't say anything yet but something looks good. :)
I may have to talk the wife into getting a G8 sooner than expected now.

GM_Fan
04-27-2009, 11:05 AM
the goddam vibe thing really kills me the most. jesus christ

I wonder if was because of some kind of agreemennt with Toyota that GM is strapped with.

DQGTO
04-27-2009, 11:33 AM
yeah maybe. shitty day

GeorgeInNePa
04-27-2009, 11:34 AM

Me too. If it was a Buick or a Chevy, I would still have one now. I didn't buy because of the name.

UGotSmkd
04-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I think the G8 is will be my only and last GM car I buy. It makes no sense to completely stop production on the G8 instead of moving it to another name. The news feeds I have been reading seem to arrogantly state that. How many models from Buick, Chevy, and GMC sold less than the G8 but are not being scrapped? Why not a new redesigned Impala SS? The current Impalas are ugly as fuck and have zero balls. A FWD V8 that looks like a bland, sorry piece of shit for a vehicle, and they are going to keep that POS in their lineup?

Believe it or not, Ford had their heads screwed on straight by restructuring a few years ago, which is why they aren't going through the same thing as GM. Then again, what can you expect from GM, a company who rented their HQ, which was bought and paid for by Ford. It looks like I may go back for a GT500 someday to go along with my G8.

No offense to curent Impala SS owners. I can't stand that car.

UGotSmkd
04-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Me too. If it was a Buick or a Chevy, I would still have one now. I didn't buy because of the name.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:thumbsup:

GXPaycheck
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Time to turn all G8s into Holdens. Maybe Pace can become a Holden dealer!

Panzer Leader
04-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Want to hear the latest? Try G8 going to Buick and badged as the Grand National Sport or something like that. Only venue left for all of us is the Camero. Waiting to see if the DIV6 makes it to the 2010 production run for the G8. No matter what, glad I got mine. And if any GM "Execs" or UAW types are reading this (that assumes a lot I know) how does it feel to have cut each others throats. MAD Mutual Assured Destruction.

-Ray-
04-27-2009, 12:19 PM
My last thread was closed only moments after posting but here is the GM video to go along with the link.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/04/25/pontiac.reaction/index.html?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCVideo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/04/25...ef=mpstoryview

Well, CNN is reporting that Pontiac Is done...

Please do not lock, this is actual material from GM's mouth.

That was because there were already 5 threads!

Devilish34
04-27-2009, 12:32 PM
me too. If it was a buick or a chevy, i would still have one now. I didn't buy because of the name.

+1000

wrecked2001
04-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Well this sucks!!!! In my situation (stationed overseas) GM dosen't sell cars in the millitary network like Chrysler and Ford so I can't realistically get my hands on a G8 until spring of next year, and then they won't be around! Oh well, Ironically Chrysler dosen't have the cash to re-engineer the LX platform to make FWD, so they are keeping them RWD and updating interior and exterior. I guess I will be getting a 2011 Charger SRT8. RIP Pontiac.

PostalCherokee
04-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Well this was my first pontiac purchase, guess it will be my last. It is a shame, they really had something with this car. Oh well, guess it's back to mustangs now.

TonyKarter
04-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Yes, the G8 is gone...forever...in its present form. Some people will always see the glass half empty, not half full. What are you guys crying about?

This is a GLORIOUS DAY!!! Were any of you planning on buying ANOTHER G8 in the next year or two? No? Alright then...sit down and listen a minute.

Pontiac's demise made us a truly unique brotherhood. A brotherhood of good fortune. You now own an instant classic. How many G8GT's were sold? Not many, right? Good...kinda like a '60's Shelby situation shaping up, wouldn't you say?

The best thing any of us could do is to go out and buy a second GT or GXP, drive it home and park it in the garage, put a cover on it and not take it off for 20 or 30 years. Better than money in the bank.

Anyone watched Barrett/Jackson recently? Seen many 4000-5000 original mile cars not meeting reserve? Even if it is rebadged as a Caddy or a Grand National or a whatever, there is still only going to be a few Pontiac G8's, it was the original, and in 20-30 years the world will be beating a path to our collective doors, or should I say...garage doors. Save the parts you take off when you mod your ride, you'll be putting them back on to increase it's value. You younger guys listen to an old man for once...In the blink of an eye you are going to be fifty, I mean in the blink of an eye, one morning you are going to wake up and realize that thirty years have FLOWN by, you are going to say, "Where did the time go?", and then you are going to smile 'cause that G8 in your garage is your guaranteed retirement plan, Podna!

To quote the ending of A Tale of Two Cities, " 'Tis a far better thing I do than I have ever done before." Yes, you did do a better thing, you bought a G8. Now, ENJOY the next 30 year ride!

P.S. Some more old man advice...Drill every chick you can while you still can.

UGotSmkd
04-27-2009, 04:19 PM

Amen! and the G8 has plenty of room for that.

DQGTO
04-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Yes, the G8 is gone...forever...in its present form. Some people will always see the glass half empty, not half full. What are you guys crying about?

This is a GLORIOUS DAY!!! Were any of you planning on buying ANOTHER G8 in the next year or two? No? Alright then...sit down and listen a minute.

Pontiac's demise made us a truly unique brotherhood. A brotherhood of good fortune. You now own an instant classic. How many G8GT's were sold? Not many, right? Good...kinda like a '60's Shelby situation shaping up, wouldn't you say?

The best thing any of us could do is to go out and buy a second GT or GXP, drive it home and park it in the garage, put a cover on it and not take it off for 20 or 30 years. Better than money in the bank.

Anyone watched Barrett/Jackson recently? Seen many 4000-5000 original mile cars not meeting reserve? Even if it is rebadged as a Caddy or a Grand National or a whatever, there is still only going to be a few Pontiac G8's, it was the original, and in 20-30 years the world will be beating a path to our collective doors, or should I say...garage doors. Save the parts you take off when you mod your ride, you'll be putting them back on to increase it's value. You younger guys listen to an old man for once...In the blink of an eye you are going to be fifty, I mean in the blink of an eye, one morning you are going to wake up and realize that thirty years have FLOWN by, you are going to say, "Where did the time go?", and then you are going to smile 'cause that G8 in your garage is your guaranteed retirement plan, Podna!

To quote the ending of A Tale of Two Cities, " 'Tis a far better thing I do than I have ever done before." Yes, you did do a better thing, you bought a G8. Now, ENJOY the next 30 year ride!

You are certainly wise. It just blows for people like me, a 21 yr old kid who was looking forward to buying a G8 in oh 2 months maybe once I can get a job and some money, because its a car I have been looking forward to getting for oh i dont know, almost two years now since I saw the fist pic of the car in its early stages. I just hope that A) I can get a job soon and B) I can afford a G8 that wont cost me 10K over sticker. Shit man, three or four weeks ago I was praying that I would be able to pick up a G8 for 6 to 8K under sticker lol. And I am just a little baby and all I have owned or been exposed to is Pontiac's and thats what I love. Its been posted on here a shitload by me but I got a 68 GTO, and a 97 Grand Prix, dads got the G8, sister has his old 98 Bonnie, and I have a 98 Grand Prix in the driveway also awaiting sale. Its just what we like, its what my dad has liked forever, and it just blows to see it go. Oh and we got rid of his 79 Formula a few years back due to frame rot, otherwise that would too be in my garage, restored, and one of a dead brand.

h34d
04-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Well this was my first pontiac purchase, guess it will be my last. It is a shame, they really had something with this car. Oh well, guess it's back to mustangs now.

:rant2:

This was my first Pontiac as well and you know what??? F*%K that! I've been down the mustang road as well and I refuse to start with the handicap again. I'm getting a vette... :flame: mustang

UGotSmkd
04-27-2009, 04:31 PM
You are certainly wise. It just blows for people like me, a 21 yr old kid who was looking forward to buying a G8 in oh 2 months maybe once I can get a job and some money, because its a car I have been looking forward to getting for oh i dont know, almost two years now since I saw the fist pic of the car in its early stages. I just hope that A) I can get a job soon and B) I can afford a G8 that wont cost me 10K over sticker. Shit man, three or four weeks ago I was praying that I would be able to pick up a G8 for 6 to 8K under sticker lol. And I am just a little baby and all I have owned or been exposed to is Pontiac's and thats what I love. Its been posted on here a shitload by me but I got a 68 GTO, and a 97 Grand Prix, dads got the G8, sister has his old 98 Bonnie, and I have a 98 Grand Prix in the driveway also awaiting sale. Its just what we like, its what my dad has liked forever, and it just blows to see it go. Oh and we got rid of his 79 Formula a few years back due to frame rot, otherwise that would too be in my garage, restored, and one of a dead brand.

Aside form my earlier ranting a few psots back, one good thing to look forward to is that the G8 will remain exclusive for the most part. You can still get one new as I am sure dealers will have to cut prices to get rid of inventory, or you can find a used one with low miles for a good price. The G8 won't vanish off the face of the earth, so there will be some out there. If you are still in the market in 2 months, grab one.

GRRRR8
04-27-2009, 04:31 PM
It does suck, but dont be surprised to see this rebadged. It was my 1st Pontiac, but I bought it for the powertrain. I liked it from day one and knew I would buy one, but it could have said Edsel on it and it would still be sitting in the Garage. Its always been a Holden. Maybe we can get some LHD Holdens and be able to buy everything Holden makes. I would wait for it to be shipped, hell I did anyways!

DQGTO
04-27-2009, 04:39 PM
charlie good point. Its not so much about the G8 really, because I effin want one bad as shit, and knowing how amazing this car is from having one in the family and all of the research and of course, you guys, I will get one if its rebadged, preferably as a Holden, as it would be the least different and Chevys I just dislike lol. Im just whining on here bc I hate that America, GM, Govt, blah blah etc etc let it get to this point, in this dramatic of a way.

UGotSmkd
04-27-2009, 04:51 PM
It does suck, but dont be surprised to see this rebadged. It was my 1st Pontiac, but I bought it for the powertrain. I liked it from day one and knew I would buy one, but it could have said Edsel on it and it would still be sitting in the Garage. Its always been a Holden. Maybe we can get some LHD Holdens and be able to buy everything Holden makes. I would wait for it to be shipped, hell I did anyways!

I would love to see a LHD Holden hit our shores, but from what I keep seeing that may not happen. I am sure many of us, myself included, are putting the cart before the horse by speculating that everything is gloom and doom, so you never know. Things could change. If they don't, I want one of these. I have always been a sucker for a Saleen, blown of course.

GRRRR8
04-27-2009, 04:53 PM
I like the Saleens, but next to be added to the stable is a GXP or a Camaro.

UGotSmkd
04-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I like the Saleens, but next to be added to the stable is a GXP or a Camaro.

Yes, GXP. Oh what the hell, GT500, Saleen, GXP, I can't make my mind up. Just give me a lot of power!

johnbell2
04-27-2009, 04:58 PM
I've had my G8 GT for about three weeks. In that time I have seen two other G8 rides. One was a G8 GT in Pacific Slate that's in my neighborhood. The other was a G8 GXP I saw briefly on the way home from work one day (also Pac Slate, seems to be *the* color) and haven't seen since.

Believe me I've looked, and there just aren't that many floating around. I'm in Austin TX... I can't even spit out the window on MoPac without hitting a Audi/BMW/Infiniti/Lexus/Mercedes/Porsche/etc. - hell I've seen more *Bentley* iron on MoPac than my G8. Watching people creep up on my tail to try and figure out what the hell I'm driving is a riot... the last guy to do this was in an M5 for cryin' out loud. It was all I could do to keep from yelling out the window "Hey! It's a G8 and you're in an M5! I'll run but I won't stick with you long" and the guy refused to budge out of *lack of knowing*. If stares were lasers he would have burned a hole in me but he would... not... punch it.

Don't cry too much over the end of Pontiac and enjoy being in this club guys, this is going to be a lot of fun.

PostalCherokee
04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Does this mean the aftermarket is going to dry up for this car? I still need LT's and the Powerbond to list a couple.

chipman283
04-27-2009, 05:12 PM
The last five cars that I have purchased were Pontiacs, this is a very sad day. I have never owned a car that was not a GM product, maybe it's time to look elsewhere.

GRRRR8
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Does this mean the aftermarket is going to dry up for this car? I still need LT's and the Powerbond to list a couple.

I dont think it will effect currect or future products. Bottom line is they are still out there and they are going to get modded.

bobyoung
04-27-2009, 08:50 PM
This is also my first Pontiac although I've owned many GM cars in my life, I've always loved GM but have also always thought that they had no integrity. Trying to please everyone at the same time you end up pleasing no one. They've always had (IHMO) the coolest cars but also always cut them before they really had a chance like the G8. I bought this car because of the design like many others here, I wanted a rear wheel drive V8 car and that was my main priority. I read the reviews, saw that it was a real motorhead car not a pretender like so many others and bought it. I also really started liking Pontiac and became proud that I had one, a car that descended from the GTO which may not have been the fastest car ever but it was one of the coolest and still is. I am depressed and pissed about this, I think GM is making another of their many many mistakes they've made over the past 30 years. Getting rid of Oldsmobile was a big mistake and now Pontiac? What the hell are they thinking?
Everywhere I go people look at this thing. I saw two Spanish guys looking at it today and heard them say bonito carro (pretty car). What are they thinking? If they marketed this car right it would be selling boatloads. Why does each division have to make 10 different models anyway? If they go through with this they will regret it.

Larry GT
04-28-2009, 02:00 PM
The local West Coast ABC station reported last night that GM was none too pleased with the (forced) dropping of Pontiac. Now many of us may have new collectible cars!

r33pwrd
04-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I dont think it will effect currect or future products. Bottom line is they are still out there and they are going to get modded.

plus all the money is in tooling so if a company has it tooled already than im sure product will be around for a long time.. as for ne "G8" stuff I dont think we wil see a ton of stuff but luckily the motor and tranny are common in multiple platforms.

TonyKarter
05-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Name a car, ANY CAR, that you can't buy parts for. Cars from the 40's, 50's, 60's...there are parts out there for them, and there will be parts for ours too.

Panzer Leader
05-03-2009, 04:24 PM
As I have said before saw these cars in the middle east over 10 years ago. When I requested info on sales the answer was, no, no, you can look but cannot have. I thought the same thing, hell GM would not be in the position they are in now. My question, who was keeping them out of the U.S.? Was it GM itself, the UAW, the U.S. Government or any possible combination of these three? Is this a globilized car? You Bet! I'll continue to put money into the Big Three's pockets if they continue to build and refine such quality cars.

aboatguy
05-09-2009, 06:46 PM

I first drove them(Holden Commodore and Monaro) as Chevys (Lumina LTZ and Caprice LTZ) and if GM brings them in as a Chevy Impala I will own one (G8 GT is my wifes I've never owned a Pontiac) and don't plan on it. However, I sympathize with your loss.

jbradsh1
05-10-2009, 03:06 AM
As far as the Australian made G8 GT goes, since it was badged as a Pontiac they can just as easily badge it a Chevy ... and continue to sell it here. I mean, who cares what they call it, it's better to have it continue to be made.

Mufflerbearing
05-10-2009, 10:05 AM
I agree with the notion of making this car a Buick it will bring in a younger crowd. Make it a Grand Sport OR GRAND National. It would sell.