PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System Upgrade Info Thread - The OEM way!

GTPprix
04-24-2009, 09:33 AM
As many of you know my GXP made some GREAT power but also is WAY out of fuel system on the top end. My car more than likely makes around 570WHP right now on 8.5PSI if we could get enough fuel into the thing. I knew this would be an issue from the start however I had no idea how hard the task of finding a solution would be.

I set out to find a solution for my GXP (And all G8's) that would be:

1. SAFE
2. OEM Quality
3. Quiet
4. Had Room to grow should I get crazy.

Normally 1-3 would be hard enough, let alone throwing in 4. I'm trying to go a different route with this car; trying to make sick power but keep the NVH to a minimum. IE a CTS-V on the cheap (Sort of LOL)

So whatever solution we came up with needed to be refined AND capable, not "just enough" and not like fuel pumps/fuel in the spare tire well as seems to be common in AUS and some people here do it (Rear end collision anyone?).

The first solution I posted pics of was a full CNC made dual pump setup in a single bucket. While this solution more than likely would have worked according to the people that built it as well as the two early beta testers its loud, requires some sheet metal clearance and may not provide adequate fuel with the stock line (NO AN lines here!) and appears to have issues when running the tank low.

So we went back to the drawing board and with the help of some old friends may have reached a solution ;)

How about TWO complete OEM Fuel Pumps in one tank?! ;) Good for 1000RWHP, perfect siphoning and no more noise than the stock system. Sounds too good to be true doesn't it?

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo257/gtpprix/G8%20Fuel%20System/fueltank.jpg

Well the good news is, its real however as with everything like this there IS a catch, its going to be expensive but at this point I feel at least for me personally its well worth it.

Final pricing inst set as there are some differences between the AUS parts used and the US, for instance our fuel pump for the GT/GXP is the HSV pump not the normal base pump they get in AUS (this was a shock!). This will also require adding another STOCK(ish) fuel line under the car and the appropriate connections at the engine for your particular vehicle, in my case I'm likely going to buy a CTS-V Maggie Kit passenger side fuel rail and use a Corvette angled fuel connector with some mix of line/connectors to get it from the firewall over to the passenger side.

Those of you wondering what the stock pump looks like (HSV) for the L76/LS3 have a gander :)

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo257/gtpprix/G8%20Fuel%20System/DSCF0137.jpg
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo257/gtpprix/G8%20Fuel%20System/DSCF0138.jpg

I'll keep this updated as we proceed but hopefully in under a month I'll have a full OEM fuel system solution to offer you guys!

GRRRR8
04-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Nice work/research Chris.

wreckwriter
04-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Sounds good Chris! Guesses on cost?

confused2much
04-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Thats a pretty sweet solution. Will be fantastic to see your end results.

GTPprix
04-24-2009, 09:42 AM
It depends on ALOT of factors, I'm a little scared to say right now as the tanks have to be modified and some other odds and ends have to be worked out. Many things need to happen before these are ready for sale in the US my guess would be ~$2200 but it may be offered in different flavors/price levels ect. Like I said its not going to be cheap but it WILL do what I set out to do hopefully LOL

wreckwriter
04-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Yea, the tank mods will cost. Thanks Chris.

GTPprix
04-24-2009, 09:45 AM
The plan is to get "stages" going so you can get one all ready to go and populated with the extra pump and swap your stocker in the other side or get one 100% ready to bolt in. It's going to be an adventure but it'll be fun! LOL

wreckwriter
04-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Its certainly needed.

GeorgeInNePa
04-24-2009, 09:56 AM
The OEM tank has a provision for a pump on either side?

Or is that a tank from something else?

GTPprix
04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
The OEM tank has a provision for a pump on either side?

Or is that a tank from something else?

Well it has a provision for a sender of sorts not a full pump till its modded :)

GeorgeInNePa
04-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Gotcha.

I await your testing.

:)

GTPprix
04-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Me too trust me, I'd love to hit 600RWHP on stock exhaust LOL

Ktlplxm
04-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Good luck

SFC
09-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Any updates on this?

GTeve
09-12-2009, 08:14 PM
this definitely needs a bump. sounds like a lot of testing for no result if nothing else is said. hopefully the work wasnt for nothing.

Chewy
09-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Lets keep this thread on topic here. It's about a twin OEM style pump. I moved the previous twin IN TANK posts to their own thread.

Cheers,
Chris

incon3037r
09-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Awaiting to see the outcome and price of this. It looks awesome.

Darkmanx
10-28-2010, 04:16 PM
bump on this dead thread....

Ken
10-30-2010, 04:56 PM
This product is in several hundred vehicles now - and has become a very well refined solution.
details can be found on www.vcm-performance.com.au

Ktlplxm
11-01-2010, 05:08 AM
Pity it isnt readily available here though.