PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof ?

Virus
04-24-2009, 08:17 AM
To open my sunroof I have to turn it to one of the "dots" and push up and hold until it completes it's function. I have to do the same to close the sunroof. I took it to the dealer and he said the sunroof operation was revised on all vehicles manufactured after September 21, 2008. All I had to do on all the cars I test drove was to turn the dial to the proper "dot" and everyone was automatic. I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this?

SpiderJedi
04-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Mine's auto.

G8GXP4now
04-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Mine is turn and hold.

Night Train
04-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Mine is turn to the dot and it's all auto.

Virus
04-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Mine is turn and hold.
Meaning you turn, push up and hold?

Virus
04-24-2009, 10:29 AM
I hope no one's sun roof controls fail. If so they are going to replace them with the newer version that is equipped in the latest G8's. The Service Manager provided me with the information on the sunroof's. Any vehicles built after September 21, 2008 should have the new sunroof.

pokey
04-24-2009, 12:59 PM
One of the few good things I've seen for getting an early '09 and not the 1/2. :)

G8GXP4now
04-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Meaning you turn, push up and hold?

Yes

johnbell2
04-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Mine's dial then push up to move just like yours. Don't know the mfrg date but last six digits on the VIN is 3xxxxx. Wonder if this ties in with the Bluetooth / extra cats / etc. for 2009.5 ...

Virus
04-24-2009, 03:11 PM
One of the few good things I've seen for getting an early '09 and not the 1/2. :)

If you haven't seen it, you have no idea how much better yours is. I could only imagine my wife trying to do this while she is driving. I didn't want an earlier version because I wanted bluetooth. Little did I know this would be the catch. I basically paid $1,000 for bluetooth and lost a nice sunroof in the process. I had a sweet deal on a earlier version just to get the bluetooth.

EC-Ryder
04-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Mine is set it and forget it...And...Loving it!

Cheers!

J Wikoff
04-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Another retarded ergonomic oddity. At minimum, opening should be automatic.

Virus
04-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Another retarded ergonomic oddity. At minimum, opening should be automatic.

If open was automatic, I would be happy as I rarely use any other function.

Fatdaddy
04-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Mine is set and hold. I asked Nino about that. He said the change was made because of complaints about people getting smashed fingers with the auto close feature. That's the same reason why power windows can be auto down but not up. I would have been happy with auto open, hold to close.

Like many things we enjoy, a few foolish people who refuse to acknowledge and take responsibility for their stupidity, force the rest of us to have to suffer.

Panzer Leader
04-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Mine is set and hold. I asked Nino about that. He said the change was made because of complaints about people getting smashed fingers with the auto close feature. That's the same reason why power windows can be auto down but not up. I would have been happy with auto open, hold to close.

Like many things we enjoy, a few foolish people who refuse to acknowledge and take responsibility for their stupidity, force the rest of us to have to suffer.

Smashed fingers? Smashed heads? What a real joke. Could they have not put an interrupt feature on it? Then again, I agree there are some real dumbass folks out thee.I had the Honda, it had expressed windows up and down. Miss that feature. The sun roof was a real pain with the switch on the dash. 8th Generation fixed that. My 09 G8 is early model. Auto sunroof open and close. My only question is why isn't the dial lighted at night?

Fatdaddy
04-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Smashed fingers? Smashed heads? What a real joke. Could they have not put an interrupt feature on it? ... My only question is why isn't the dial lighted at night?

The exact questions that I asked. Seems like common (uncommon?) sense to me. The answer on the obstruction interrupt was too costly - too build and maintain. Something about sensors and tension settings and potential lawsuits (again the stupid people!). The lighting thing had something to do with legalities with overhead lighting while driving... or something like that. I finished listening before he finished telling me. :wacko:

I didn't even want the hole in the roof but the misses insisted on it.

Panzer Leader
04-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Fatdaddy, I feel your pain. I checked my owners manual. The sunroof does have the feature of stopping it from closing if it detects an obstruction. I guess there will always idiots who want to check things out for themselves and screw themselves in the process. BTW like the color of your car, mine is same, so is the GPX 6 speed MT I am looking at buying and putting in a vaccum sealed bag.

R.Penguin
04-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Even more strange, I got a new 2009 earlier this year and the production date on the door pillar is 3/08.

WTF? My first G8, a 2008 888 was purchased by me on 3/15/08. Very strange, but I like the 2009 a lot more than the 2008. Not that I have a choice. :p

MAYBEN
04-25-2009, 04:21 PM
I hate the fact of this bullshit change.. I remember looking at an 08 and it did it and was confused when mine didnt... They should be able to fix it

Virus
04-25-2009, 04:47 PM
I hate the fact of this bullshit change.. I remember looking at an 08 and it did it and was confused when mine didnt... They should be able to fix it

For the love of God, the cheapest Hyundai has an auto sunroof!

Fatdaddy
04-25-2009, 06:33 PM
...BTW like the color of your car, mine is same, so is the GPX 6 speed MT I am looking at buying and putting in a vaccum sealed bag.

Thanks. It is somewhat comforting to know that there are still people like yourself out there -- you know -- the ones with good sense and good taste.

Panzer Leader
04-26-2009, 12:34 AM
Well hell, just the sunroof feature will make it a classic!

Virus
04-26-2009, 05:09 AM
As of tomorrow, it looks like we all will be driving classics :-)

Danl
04-26-2009, 07:50 AM
WHAT??? What do you mean I shouldn't hold my hands out the top and close the roof at time, what will happen? Next you'll be telling me, I can't dry my hair while still in the shower. What the heck!?! When will stupid people stop controlling our lives? Its called natural selection, I really think they should not add so many safety features. The world is stating to get crowded. lol!

elilozano28
05-20-2009, 08:46 AM
mine too its also push and hold on the sunroof i think the GT are automatic and GXP are push and hold

Panzer Leader
05-20-2009, 09:35 PM
WHAT??? What do you mean I shouldn't hold my hands out the top and close the roof at time, what will happen? Next you'll be telling me, I can't dry my hair while still in the shower. What the heck!?! When will stupid people stop controlling our lives? Its called natural selection, I really think they should not add so many safety features. The world is stating to get crowded. lol!

Danl, what can I say? Look around, stupid people are running our lives everyday. "I see stupid people walking around, and they don't even know that they are stupid." My question is this, "Does this modification to the sunroof operation only pertain to the cars shipped into the United States?" OR does it affect ALL cars built in OZ? I know for a fact that there are normal, educated people with common sense in OZ. If this modification only affects the G8, perhaps we can get replacement sunroof operating controls direct from OZ.:secret:

JoshHefnerX
05-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I don't have to hold mine - GT '09. I thought I had read about a flash to change this?

Josh

Identity Crisis
05-21-2009, 07:59 PM
09 GT and mine is Auto Open and Close. But no BT...

MAYBEN
05-22-2009, 04:39 PM
09.5 is when it changed

chipman283
05-22-2009, 07:14 PM
I knew I made the right choice when I got one without a sunroof.

erkki
05-22-2009, 10:49 PM
How is the roof programmed? Is it a stand alone program or is it integrated into the car's computer somehow? If the latter, can it be changed back to 'set it and forget it' with HPTuners or EFI Live?

learjet60
05-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I knew I made the right choice when I got one without a sunroof.

I love my sunroof. I drove one without the sunroof and the interior had a much smaller feel to me...just psychological, I know.

Mine is a 2009.0 - turn the knob and let it do its thing. I'm glad I don't have the turn and hold, that would annoy me.

G VIII
08-28-2009, 06:37 PM
We've simply got to find a fix for this 9.5 issue. The liability excuse is weak sauce. Who can crack the sunroof code to retrofit back to 9 functionality?

polo
08-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Ah, I've got an aftermarket sunroof, so I don't have to worry about it ;)

But for those of you that do, it does sound like a pain in the ass.

kyllekkc
08-28-2009, 07:40 PM
all auto here

G VIII
08-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Yeah, polo, i was just reading your post in another thread and saw that, lol. There are certainly more important things to worry about this in this world, but as its been pointed out, the cheapest cars have auto-open. maybe i could understand the auto close issue, but i've never heard of anyone getting their hand or head caught while the thing was opening, so liability is SUPER weak for open.

OmahaGTP
08-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Lame, I had no idea that was a 09.5 issue.

If anything, make it so when I crack my cabin windows they don't roll down by default. That's truly annoying.

MDGeeTee
08-30-2009, 05:57 AM
I had a heckuva time finding a GT with a sunroof in Maryland (there was 1 within 50 miles and I didn't like the car color), so I got an aftermarket roof put in. So far so good. No leaks, looks good, and has 2 programmable preset buttons in addition to the manual open/close buttons. And the buttons are lit!

Monty
08-30-2009, 06:56 AM
I live in Jersey and the dealer had to go to Delaware to get one with a sunroof. The only thing that I don't like is when you turn the car off you can't operate the roof. There's power to the windows but not the roof. My 2 other GrandPrix's had that option.

Rebeccah
08-31-2009, 06:19 PM
Ah, I've got an aftermarket sunroof, so I don't have to worry about it ;)

But for those of you that do, it does sound like a pain in the ass.

What kind of aftermarket sunroof did you get? Did you have the G8 with the sunroof and change it out or did you get the one without the sunroof and get one installed? How much did it cost?

Thanks.

polo
08-31-2009, 08:40 PM
What kind of aftermarket sunroof did you get? Did you have the G8 with the sunroof and change it out or did you get the one without the sunroof and get one installed? How much did it cost?

Thanks.

The dealer had the sunroof installed before I bought it. It's made by Inalfa Sunroofs (www.inalfasunroofs.com) .

It cost the dealer somewhere around $700 to have it installed, and they just charged me what they paid for it. It's a great sunroof, that looks nearly identical to stock. The only difference is it has a little trim piece that goes around it.

You push the button once and it'll either open or close, or you can hold it to have it close at a different position. It also closes automatically when the car is cut off.

gearhead455
09-03-2009, 08:01 AM
I never had a sunroof and I never wanted one and I'm glad I don't have one and if you want one buy a convertible and don't ask me why I'm using all these ands and another thing have a great Labor day weekend and don't drink too much and love your wives and kids.

:D

OmahaGTP
09-03-2009, 08:20 AM
I never had a sunroof and I never wanted one and I'm glad I don't have one and if you want one buy a convertible and don't ask me why I'm using all these ands and another thing have a great Labor day weekend and don't drink too much and love your wives and kids.

:D

Not to be too nosy, but how many wives 'do' you have?

/loves his ceiling window

G VIII
09-03-2009, 05:27 PM

lol i think the "your" was "you" plural.

kbuckert
09-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Alright...so I have a posting on the 'other' board...I am working on the solution to this, nearly completed that will be an aftermarket module that you can add-on to the roof wiring. It will make the roof operate correctly!

twist to position, tap & release - roof moves where it is supposed to go
upon shutting the car off, there is a switchable feature to auto-close the roof. If enabled, the roof will close automatically, if disabled, the roof will stay at the last postion that you had it in.

I have had the entire module working and am on the 3rd prototype currently which I am using in my car; however, there are some small isses that I am finishing up and will hopefully be done with by the weekend.

JAM
09-04-2009, 02:50 PM
What's the ballpark cost?

JAM

kbuckert
09-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Unknown cost at this time as I dont know the components that I have in it for sure yet. I would throw a number out, but last time I did that, I ended up having to add a lot more to the circuit board. I will guarantee that it will be cheaper than a new roof motor which costs ~$270.

I also doubt that I can post cost on any forums since I do not currently sponsor any of them.

gearhead455
09-05-2009, 12:45 AM

None, divorced in 93' I was speaking to the masses.

G VIII
09-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Alright...so I have a posting on the 'other' board...I am working on the solution to this, nearly completed that will be an aftermarket module that you can add-on to the roof wiring. It will make the roof operate correctly!

twist to position, tap & release - roof moves where it is supposed to go
upon shutting the car off, there is a switchable feature to auto-close the roof. If enabled, the roof will close automatically, if disabled, the roof will stay at the last postion that you had it in.

I have had the entire module working and am on the 3rd prototype currently which I am using in my car; however, there are some small isses that I am finishing up and will hopefully be done with by the weekend.

take my screen name down and let me know when proto stage is over and you're ready to release. or if you need field testers. i'll just sit quietly there in the corner.:secret:

OmahaGTP
09-06-2009, 05:54 PM
None, divorced in 93' I was speaking to the masses.

Man. . . you and the other guy both thought I was serious. :nah:

Guess my work here is done. :secret: