PDA

View Full Version : Great way to increase caster, improve steering, and handling

dms
09-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Pedders realized right off the bat that the ZETA platform needed more caster, and in fact can tolerate a lot of caster. So we came up with a very easy way to improve it:

5421 Zeta Extreme Control Arm - Caster Lock Washer $77.95

These are special made washer/inserts for the front radius rod bushings. To install is pretty easy. to start, with the vehicle in the air, remove the big bolt that secures the radius rod bushing to the body, then remove the plastic clip that secures the long strip of metal on the inside, then remove the metal piece on the outside,
then install the slotted washer so the hole is facing forward, reinstall the bolt, locktite it, add the new nut, torque to specs.

Note: this is just a quickie scenario. There may be other steps involved. So refer to an appropriate manual.

These washers will give you approx .75 to 1.0 additional positive caster. This a a very good thing for handling and steering feel.

Now if you are more ambitious, you can make a huge improvement and replace the front radius rod bushing, that comes with the caster washer as well.

EP6560 GM Zeta Front Radius Rod Bush. INCLUDES 5421 caster lock washers $198.59. This is a great deal for both.

Both of these parts are being used on the GM racing Camaros, among others.

If you have any questions, just ask

mike
dms

Steve
09-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Mike,

Is this normally part of any of the Street/Track Series or does it work in addition to those? If so I'll get a set so that at least i'll have 'something' pedders on my car for now ;)

dms
09-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Mike,

Is this normally part of any of the Street/Track Series or does it work in addition to those? If so I'll get a set so that at least i'll have 'something' pedders on my car for now ;)

these are in both trackII and Street II

thanks
mike
dms

GeorgeInNePa
11-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Pedders realized right off the bat that the ZETA platform needed more caster, and in fact can tolerate a lot of caster. So we came up with a very easy way to improve it:

5421 Zeta Extreme Control Arm - Caster Lock Washer $77.95

These are special made washer/inserts for the front radius rod bushings. To install is pretty easy. to start, with the vehicle in the air, remove the big bolt that secures the radius rod bushing to the body, then remove the plastic clip that secures the long strip of metal on the inside, then remove the metal piece on the outside,
then install the slotted washer so the hole is facing forward, reinstall the bolt, locktite it, add the new nut, torque to specs.

Note: this is just a quickie scenario. There may be other steps involved. So refer to an appropriate manual.

These washers will give you approx .75 to 1.0 additional positive caster. This a a very good thing for handling and steering feel.

Now if you are more ambitious, you can make a huge improvement and replace the front radius rod bushing, that comes with the caster washer as well.

EP6560 GM Zeta Front Radius Rod Bush. INCLUDES 5421 caster lock washers $161.59. This is a great deal for both. n fact, I think it is a mistake on the pricing so take advantage of it until Pedders Au. finds it!

Both of these parts are being used on the GM racing Camaros, among others.

If you have any questions, just ask

mike
dms
The price has gone up.

dms
11-10-2008, 09:32 PM
there was an error this is the corrected price

EP6560 Zeta Front Radius Rod Bush includes 5421 caster washer $198.59

mike
dms

GeorgeInNePa
11-10-2008, 09:34 PM
I was adding things up to see if there was a savings on buying a kit as opposed to parts a few at a time. It didn't add up.

lol

dms
11-10-2008, 09:37 PM
I was adding things up to see if there was a savings on buying a kit as opposed to parts a few at a time. It didn't add up.

lol

There is not a savings buying a system versus individual parts

The systems are suggestions for matched levels of performance

thanks
mike
dms

GeorgeInNePa
11-10-2008, 09:39 PM
There is not a savings buying a system versus individual parts

The systems are suggestions for matched levels of performance

thanks
mike
dms

That's fine, now I won't feel like I've lost anything adding parts as I can afford/need them.

G8V8
11-11-2008, 03:41 AM
I put the caster washers in myself in my garage with jack stands and hand tools. It is a real easy DIY.

edmanet
02-02-2009, 05:22 AM
Just what does the Zeta RadiusRod Caster lockwasher [5421] do ??

Thanks for moving this post.

Is an alignment needed with just the lockwasher ?? And what about the Front Radius Rod Bushing ??

99-LS1-SS
02-02-2009, 06:03 AM
I was wondering this too. I've already ordered one because it was associated with the drag pack but I still would like to know what it does.

Chewy
02-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Merged!

G8V8
02-02-2009, 06:32 AM
They replace some stamped OEM offset washer/nuts with some nice mashined pieces that relocate the position of the bolts that locate the radius rod bushes relative to the slot provided for them. Relocating the bolt changes the radius rod forward mounting location and give you more caster. I was surprised by how well the wheel recenters itself.

TomPierce
02-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Merged!

Did you do that?

I was going to link to the old post in my reply and when I looked the new post was gone and this one was in its place.

I'm so confused...

Chewy
02-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Did you do that?

I was going to link to the old post in my reply and when I looked the new post was gone and this one was in its place.

I'm so confused...

I just grabbed the new thread and merged it with this old thread.

One of the powers of being an administrator or Moderator.:)

UGotSmkd
02-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Any possibility of a 4 bolt adjustable camber/caster plate?

dms
02-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Any possibility of a 4 bolt adjustable camber/caster plate?

We have a upper camber plate that we will have for at least our Xa coil overs. The issue with camber plates is the reduction in noise abatement. But those who would want them are only interested in max performance

Now the OEM stuff gives great, but non racing camber controls, and our 5421 adds 1.25 degrees or so to caster, which is really sweet. You can look up the Xa coil overs on our site, and see the pillow ball joint and camber plate pictures. These are easier on the light weight vehicles out there, but our G8 is heavy and is taking more R&D. Pedders does not want to do them, but Pete does for the racers. Pete always wins!

mike
dms

-Ray-
02-03-2009, 05:54 AM
I have about 7 1/2 degrees positive caster in my G8.

UGotSmkd
02-08-2009, 02:34 PM
We have a upper camber plate that we will have for at least our Xa coil overs. The issue with camber plates is the reduction in noise abatement. But those who would want them are only interested in max performance

Now the OEM stuff gives great, but non racing camber controls, and our 5421 adds 1.25 degrees or so to caster, which is really sweet. You can look up the Xa coil overs on our site, and see the pillow ball joint and camber plate pictures. These are easier on the light weight vehicles out there, but our G8 is heavy and is taking more R&D. Pedders does not want to do them, but Pete does for the racers. Pete always wins!

mike
dms

I agree they can be noisy, but I think many times it is due to the sleeve surrounding the struts banging against the spring. My UPR's were like this, but they were a 3 bolt. The Maximum Motorsports on the other hand are a 4bolt and have almost zero noise issue, but I have a 300lb spring rate, so the ride is very rough even with the adjustable struts. I would love to get some feedback on how well the non racing camber controls work with a car as heavy as ours.