PDA

View Full Version : Great way to increase caster, improve handling and steering

dms
09-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Pedders realized right off the bat that the ZETA platform needed more caster, and in fact can tolerate a lot of caster. So we came up with a very easy way to improve it:

5421 Zeta Extreme Control Arm - Caster Lock Washer $77.95

These are special made washer/inserts for the front radius rod bushings. To install is pretty easy. to start, with the vehicle in the air, remove the big bolt that secures the radius rod bushing to the body, then remove the plastic clip that secures the long strip of metal on the inside, then remove the metal piece on the outside,
then install the slotted washer so the hole is facing forward, reinstall the bolt, locktite it, add the new nut, torque to specs.

Note: this is just a quickie scenario. There may be other steps involved. So refer to an appropriate manual.

These washers will give you approx .75 to 1.0 additional positive caster. This a a very good thing for handling and steering feel.

Now if you are more ambitious, you can make a huge improvement and replace the front radius rod bushing, that comes with the caster washer as well.

EP6560 GM Zeta Front Radius Rod Bush. INCLUDES 5421 caster lock washers $161.59. This is a great deal for both. n fact, I think it is a mistake on the pricing so take advantage of it until Pedders Au. finds it!

Both of these parts are being used on the GM racing Camaros, among others.

If you have any questions, just ask

mike
dms

G8V8
09-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Now that you 'splained it, I understand it.

GRRRR8
09-02-2008, 02:30 PM
This will be the 2nd part or maybe part of Pedders rear kit at the same time.

G8V8
09-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Mike,
Frank gave me the caster washers yesterday at his Pedders Day/GTG. Your instructions were perfect. I put them on this morning. It took me a couple of hours but part of that was getting the car up on jack stands. I did the passenger side first. Piece of cake. After removing the wheel, I pulled the push-pins that hold the fender liner in place to give me move room to work. It only took a short while to finish that side.

The drivers side was harder because I couldn't push the Radius Rod forward enough and hold the washer and start the bolt. Finally I had my wife start the car and turn and hold the steering wheel full right. That pushed the RR right into place and the washers and bolt almost installed themselves. Tomorrow I'll get it aligned and everything should be good to go.
Thanks,
Ed

dms
09-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Mike,
Frank gave me the caster washers yesterday at his Pedders Day/GTG. Your instructions were perfect. I put them on this morning. It took me a couple of hours but part of that was getting the car up on jack stands. I did the passenger side first. Piece of cake. After removing the wheel, I pulled the push-pins that hold the fender liner in place to give me move room to work. It only took a short while to finish that side.

The drivers side was harder because I couldn't push the Radius Rod forward enough and hold the washer and start the bolt. Finally I had my wife start the car and turn and hold the steering wheel full right. That pushed the RR right into place and the washers and bolt almost installed themselves. Tomorrow I'll get it aligned and everything should be good to go.
Thanks,
Ed

Great job!. One of the first things I noticed with them is the better steering feel. The G8 is already seriously b etter than GTO. But adding the caster, really make it feel better. So after you give it aligned, take it out for a safe, spirited play test, and report back. Can't wait!!

mike
dms

G8V8
09-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Will do.

EC-Ryder
09-07-2008, 03:59 PM
I like EC + Caster as is always good!

BUT I would like to know where the red line is on the G8??

Any idea?? :blink:

Cheers!

G8V8
09-07-2008, 06:12 PM

Cheers!

Rev 'til it just limits then back off a little.:rofl:

-Ray-
09-08-2008, 02:49 AM

Cheers!

6000 rpm fuel cut off kicks in.

EC-Ryder
09-08-2008, 04:35 AM
LOL!

Sorry, about that incomplete or badly framed sentence. :bm:

I meant to say where is the redline on the Caster, or how much positive caster can we give it before we start to see the unpleasant side of it.

Cheers!

G8V8
09-08-2008, 06:08 AM
I know for sure 7.8* is not a problem.

EC-Ryder
09-08-2008, 08:16 AM
That’s pretty impressive and good info. I was wondering if it would take 8* as that would be a goal I had in mind, but that is very good and close for as the saying goes “close enough for government work” LOL!
:target:

Cheers!

GRRRR8
09-08-2008, 08:35 AM
That is more then a Mustang without some serious mods and about the same as a stock Corvette.

G8V8
09-08-2008, 09:06 AM
That’s pretty impressive and good info. I was wondering if it would take 8* as that would be a goal I had in mind, but that is very good and close for as the saying goes “close enough for government work” LOL!
:target:

Cheers!

Like Mike said, it adds .745 to 1 degree. It is not adjustable. It move the RR bolt all the way forward.

According to my last alignment i was 6.8 and 7.1 L/R. It gets aligned today now that everything is in. I'll let you know the final numbers.

EC-Ryder
09-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Great!

We'll stay tuned to the GRRRR8 board channel

:first:

G8V8
09-08-2008, 03:33 PM
The after caster numbers are 7.5 and 8.1 for L/R up from 6.8 and 7.1 respectively. I didn't have much time or distance to drive after the alignment but it felt real good for the short drive I did have. Steering feels more precise and it centers up well.

EC-Ryder
09-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Man that’s perfect caster…My hat’s to your alignment tech and the pedders caster kit!
:clap:

I know U will love that setting, and you’re making some of us jealous!

:brock:

Cheers!